Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
I am just going to keep my iPhone 12 Pro until the 15 Pro comes out (or whatever they call it). Apple needs to get out of China.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Hate to break it to those wanting a 14Pro, but honestly, there is not that much thats different. The dynamic island is just a different animation for things that your phone already does; and a lot of apps that take advantage of the Lock Screen want you to pay extra for the feature. It’s kind of a disappointment. I upgraded from a 11 Pro Max.. for the 5g, but even thats been kinda.. lackluster. Feels a little half baked.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hate to break it to those wanting a 14Pro, but honestly, there is not that much thats different. The dynamic island is just a different animation for things that your phone already does; and a lot of apps that take advantage of the Lock Screen want you to pay extra for the feature. It’s kind of a disappointment. I upgraded from a 11 Pro Max.. for the 5g, but even thats been kinda.. lackluster. Feels a little half baked.
I upgraded from an xr and all I can say is wow. Different strokes for different folks.

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Must be time for Monday morning quarterbacking. Nothing is as easy as it seems or MR posters make it out to be.
Apple is one of the richest companies in the world and they couldn't forecast production issues on the horizon? You must be stuck on stupid like Biden!

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
Must be time for Monday morning quarterbacking. Nothing is as easy as it seems or MR posters make it out to be.
Diversification in supply sourcing is best business practice. Is it easy? No. Is it necessary? Absolutely. Tim of all people understood that, going all the way back to his days with the IBM PC Company. No business is exempt. And the bigger they are in failing to step up, the harder they fall. There is no Monday morning quarterbacking about it. It's Corporate Management 101.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Apple is one of the richest companies in the world and they couldn't forecast production issues on the horizon? You must be stuck on stupid like Biden!

Doesn’t matter if they forecast them or not. They couldn’t uproot, on a moment’s notice, all of their China production and move it elsewhere.

Even if they did move it all at once, not enough people are trained to make it work.

Probably not best to throw out “stupid” at someone if you don’t get the concept of mass manufacturing and production. And no, I’m not a Biden fan. 😉

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Yep... I have a 13 Pro with 1TB storage and I just couldn't see a reason to pay MORE money to go to a 14, based on how little it really added.

In hindsight, I think I would have liked the larger size Max screen, since I've owned the larger iPhones like that previously. But I've been planning on skipping the 14 series completely.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
This is why I expect Apple to aggressively invest in India to support their Indian factories. I wouldn't be surprised that by 2025 Apple sources the majority of their iPhones from India.

Apple wants accommodations from India that haven’t been well received.
Perhaps they’ve reached or reaching middle ground.

India is no panacea in my mind so hopefully a more distributed approach financially works for Apple.

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Doesn’t matter if they forecast them or not. They couldn’t uproot, on a moment’s notice, all of their China production and move it elsewhere.

Even if they did move it all at once, not enough people are trained to make it work.

Probably not best to throw out “stupid” at someone if you don’t get the concept of mass manufacturing and production. And no, I’m not a Biden fan. 😉

Who said anything about a moment's notice? Apple knew lockdowns could impact their iPhone production greatly and their lack of diversifying their supply lines will be their downfall. Who's going to wait months to get an iPhone 14 Pro? Nobody!

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
Apple have had years to deal with this problem but were greedy. They are still moving at a snails pace. It’s like watching the Titanic. And don’t bet everything on India either. Apple’s plans here are more about addressing local taxation issues for imported phones.

Apple is very good at pulling a veil over customers eyes so they only see the “we love our customers” image. Behind the scenes , Tim & management are ruthless cutthroats who probably care very little about your average Foxconn worker (unless their image is being damaged)

And yet they make great tech of which I own a lot of. I guess Im happy / tolerant of their hypocrisy.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
Apple have had years to deal with this problem but were greedy. They are still moving at a snails pace. It’s like watching the Titanic. And don’t bet everything on India either. Apple’s plans here are more about addressing local taxation issues for imported phones.

Apple is very good at pulling a veil over customers eyes so they only see the “we love our customers” image. Behind the scenes , Tim & management are ruthless cutthroats who probably care very little about your average Foxconn worker (unless their image is being damaged)

And yet they make great tech of which I own a lot of. I guess Im happy / tolerant of their hypocrisy.
I should add that I did consider a 14 pro upgrade but like the article says I looked but decided meh. Probably won’t bother now and will see what the back end of 2023 brings. Cost of living issues here in Europe so other things to prioritise.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
It sounds to me like the main issue is the “Zero Covid” policy of China, forcing workers to either be stuck on campus or at home. Even if campus conditions were reasonable, I think there would still be protests over the Covid policy.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
You can't tell me this isn't a wake up call for Apple to exit China before the end of the decade?
China is becoming too much of a liability. Time to switch it up: India, Vietnam, Brazil, North America (for some components and low volume devices). Start looking into Africa too, there is so much potential there.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
China's "Zero covid" policy is basically a form of implicit warfare where they manipulate global supply chains at their whim to **** with and disadvantage the western world. It's a direct response to western sanctions on their chip tech, etc.

Everybody needs to move manufacturing to india, mexico, vietnam etc Asap
I don’t agree with you assessment of the situation. Lock downs trash their economy so they would do so to retaliate. They genuinely believe it is the best course of action. They have over a billion more citizens to account for than we do and they live in tighter spaces. COVID ravaged us for almost a year and our healthcare system nearly collapsed. Now imaging if our population was 5 times the size we are.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
India is no better in their treatment of workers.

I never endorsed India. But they aren't worse than China either.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well stop releasing new phones every year, and their will be more demand for new ones when they come, it will also help develop further hardware changes, because the only real changes year on year seem to be the camera :rolleyes:
Not even that. I just can’t see any meaningful image quality improvements over iPhone 12 Pro Max, which says something.

4tune8chance

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Brisbane, Australia

iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max shipments in the fourth quarter of 2022 will be "significantly lower" than the market consensus due to labor protests at Foxconn's main iPhone factory in China, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone-14-Pro-Purple-Side-Perspective-Feature-Purple.jpg

Kuo today said iPhone production at the factory in Zhengzhou has been "significantly affected" by the protests over unfavorable working conditions, leading him to cut his iPhone shipments forecast for the fourth quarter of 2022 by 20% to 70-75 million units, compared to a market consensus of 80-85 million units.

The average capacity utilization rate at the factory was only about 20% in November, and is only expected to improve to 30–40% in December, according to Kuo. He said Pegatron and Luxshare have each obtained about 10% of iPhone 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max orders from Foxconn, but said mass shipments will not be until late December at the earliest.

Kuo believes that the production issues could result in iPhone revenue being "significantly lower than the market consensus by 20–30% or more" this quarter.

Due to lengthy shipping delays and a recession, Kuo believes that most of the demand for iPhone 14 Pro models this quarter will simply "disappear" rather than be deferred, suggesting that many customers who would have purchased an iPhone 14 Pro right now will not return to order the device in January or later once supply improves.

iPhone 14 Pro models currently face at least a four-week shipping delay on Apple's online store in the U.S. as the company struggles to maintain supply.

Article Link: Kuo: iPhone 14 Pro Sales Are in Big Trouble Due to Foxconn Factory Protests
Unfavourable working condition? Say what! Working at ‘apple’ or equivalent is considered desirable compared to CCP run industries. This seem like spin (or disinformation ) as the COVID lockdowns and those protests are the actual cause of ‘unrest’.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Who said anything about a moment's notice? Apple knew lockdowns could impact their iPhone production greatly and their lack of diversifying their supply lines will be their downfall. Who's going to wait months to get an iPhone 14 Pro? Nobody!

Lockdowns? Because of COVID? Diversify? From where? Not that many makers produce what Apple uses, on top of the fact Apple isn’t the only company tasking these companies to produce components for their products.

So. Where were they going to move, build, and train a workforce in less than 2 years to meet production this year for the iphone 14 all while navigating the supply chain to a different part of the world?

And what about all the components MADE IN CHINA used in the phone? Those plants are subject to “lockdowns”. Where are those going to miraculously appear from in FEWER than two years with an already strained supply chain?

And this doesn’t speak to quality control which Apple has had a horrible problem with in the past when diversifying suppliers.

Again. Calling someone “stupid” as you did probably isn’t the best response when your own response isn’t very well thought out or detailed with a plan of action.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I got a really good deal on my iPhone 14 Pro - I traded in my iPhone 12 Pro to Verizon and got $800 - I only paid $999 for the iPhone originally

I got the one terabyte model and it was delivered almost a week after I ordered it - back in October

I hope that this unrest gets worked out, things start to get back to normal quickly and iPhone production is able to resume as soon as possible
Even better, AT&T gave me and my wife $1000 trade-in on each of our iPhone 11 Pro Max’s when we bought our iPhone 14 Pro Max’s. We would not have even upgraded since our 3-year-old 11 Pro Max’s were still pristine and running great, but $1000 trade-in was too good to pass up. We also got $800 trade-in on my two oldest kids’ iPhone 11’s and got them iPhone 14 Pro’s which just arrived yesterday.

Reactions: Justin Cymbal

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
This is why Apple, as well as others, need to diversify their supply chains. Relying on a single point of manufacturing has and will continue to show what can happen when things go south.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.