Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
my wife who is in shanghai, tried to buy the max pro but it was completely sold out, so she bought the regular max and is happy with it (couldn't tell the difference). Thanks apple and foxconn for saving me 200+ bucks.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
This is always what happens when you rely heavily on one vendor. There were signs that suggested Apple should diversify production. To their credit, they did somewhat, but not enough.

Will this get Tim Cook into trouble? No, but he should think twice about going (almost) solo with Foxconn for Apple Cars and other prime projects.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Wish, Apple had an assembly plant running in India full force. Apple just needs to get out of China. This is not a wake-up call anymore.
Moving factories to india would be the same exact mistake.
No. Apple should have various factories producing its products all over the world.
That's how they would minimize the risks.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Pfff....!! 10%? That's nothing!
Imagine a 50% less production. THAT would be bad.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
This is why I expect Apple to aggressively invest in India to support their Indian factories. I wouldn't be surprised that by 2025 Apple sources the majority of their iPhones from India.
And wouldn't that be the exact same mistake? Having the great majority of production in one place?

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
On CNBC yesterday they were saying all the Fortune 100 companies have begun to reconfigure their supply chains to reduce dependence on China. Apple was mentioned specifically, and they said while the decision was made, Apple is trying to do it "quietly" as to not trigger blowback from China. And that it would take many years, as it isn't just final assembly of iPhones that is done in China, but many of the parts are produced there to.
So quietly that it’s being reported by CNBC 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: magicschoolbus

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
Considering iPhone 14 and 14 pro are extremely underwhelming and boring upgrades it’s no surprise apple risk missing the boat this year: the only hope to keep sales afloat was the Christmas madness. Come January very few people will care about iPhone 14 and whoever can will just waits for 15 hoping it’s at least a little bit better, and not just a reskin of the same product as the 14 was.

Reactions: compwiz1202

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Must be time for Monday morning quarterbacking. Nothing is as easy as it seems or MR posters make it out to be.
Yeah, but this is pretty cut and dry. If Tim Cook wasn’t so busy cozying up the CCP for the Chinese market, he could have thought about it clearly enough to get ahead of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: I7guy

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Anyone with a shred of dignity should support our iPhone assembly brothers and sisters in China (metaphorically speaking) by furthering their cause.
They’re rioting to disrupt iPhone production to hurt Foxconn where it’ll be felt - their bottom line.
Want to help our iPhone assemblers out? Don’t buy a new iPhone.
More important is supporting our brothers and sisters in China as they fight Totalitarian oppression by an evil government. I’d gladly give up all my Apple stock and products if it meant they could live in freedom….

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Ha! Hilarious so many people believe Apple's manufacturing strategic planning and resulting decisions haven't been gamed out long ago in myriad ways.

Life goes on. Apple will do fine.
Kind of a blasé response, no? When a company such as Apple, in which I own stock, has that many resources as their disposal, I expect them to have better intelligence coming in than I have— and act appropriately— and they clearly did not or didn’t make the hard decisions. At least they have some manufacturing in India, which is a good start. One wonders if the CCP told them to keep a certain % of their manufacturing in China or lose the market…

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah, but this is pretty cut and dry. If Tim Cook wasn’t so busy cozying up the CCP for the Chinese market, he could have thought about it clearly enough to get ahead of it.
As I believe, Monday morning quarterbacking is real easy. Monday morning quarterbackers leading a $3T company with all of the myriad of moving parts is not easy in real life. Criticizing though is a piece of cake.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Kind of a blasé response, no? When a company such as Apple, in which I own stock, has that many resources as their disposal, I expect them to have better intelligence coming in than I have— and act appropriately— and they clearly did not or didn’t make the hard decisions. At least they have some manufacturing in India, which is a good start. One wonders if the CCP told them to keep a certain % of their manufacturing in China or lose the market…

That's good to know about your intelligence.

Please send a letter to Tim Cook and Apple's board members sharing your intelligence and information. I suspect they'd greatly appreciate your insight as they likely have no idea about potential Chinese dynamics/politics going forward. You might have a hand in saving the company.

• Love
Reactions: I7guy

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
This couldn’t come at a worse time for Apple. Working with China is a liability.

Hopefully the Chinese people can get relief from the tyranny of the CCP. The world needs to stand behind the protesters right now. Though if China plunged into civil war I can only image what would happen to supply chains then.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Considering iPhone 14 and 14 pro are extremely underwhelming and boring upgrades it’s no surprise apple risk missing the boat this year: the only hope to keep sales afloat was the Christmas madness. Come January very few people will care about iPhone 14 and whoever can will just waits for 15 hoping it’s at least a little bit better, and not just a reskin of the same product as the 14 was.
It all depends what iPhone you are coming from. If you come from a 13 it might not be a big deal, if you come from 11 or earlier it will be a substantial change.

Thats not even touching the redesigned front screen which to you might not mean anything but for the next 4+ years will be the standard on all newer iPhones so everything under the 14 pros will look dated, which will be a silly but substantial motivator to upgrade from this point outward.

• Disagree
Reactions: rjw1678 and BorisDG

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
15 with USB-C is what I am waiting for. Until then my 12Pro is working fine. My iPad and Macbooks are USB-C, time for me to get rid of Lightning.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Due to lengthy shipping delays and a recession, Kuo believes that most of the demand for iPhone 14 Pro models this quarter will simply "disappear" rather than be deferred, suggesting that many customers who would have purchased an iPhone 14 Pro right now will not return to order the device in January or later once supply improves.
This leaves unanswered where those sales are going--does it mean they'll hang on to their phones and wait for the iPhone 15, or that they'll buy another brand now?

• Love

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Lockdowns? Because of COVID? Diversify? From where? Not that many makers produce what Apple uses, on top of the fact Apple isn’t the only company tasking these companies to produce components for their products.

So. Where were they going to move, build, and train a workforce in less than 2 years to meet production this year for the iphone 14 all while navigating the supply chain to a different part of the world?

And what about all the components MADE IN CHINA used in the phone? Those plants are subject to “lockdowns”. Where are those going to miraculously appear from in FEWER than two years with an already strained supply chain?

And this doesn’t speak to quality control which Apple has had a horrible problem with in the past when diversifying suppliers.

Again. Calling someone “stupid” as you did probably isn’t the best response when your own response isn’t very well thought out or detailed with a plan of action.

Maybe if I was paid 98 million like Tim Cook I would have a more detailed plan of action! Missing 20 million iPhones in production for a quarter is a huge failure, you can sugarcoat this however you want though. Also I'm an Apple shareholder so I have a vested interest that they succeed.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Maybe if I was paid 98 million like Tim Cook I would have a more detailed plan of action! Missing 20 million iPhones in production for a quarter is a huge failure, you can sugarcoat this however you want though. Also I'm an Apple shareholder so I have a vested interest that they succeed.

They do have a detailed plan of action.

They've been working on moving 25% of iPhone production and supply chain to India. That doesn't mean they'll stop at 25%.

Surely a very important shareholder would know this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.