Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidhall66

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2016
Hi
world's largest iTunes collection 849Gb the owner of that collection, Will Friedwald, maintains a massive archive of 849 GB of music equating to 172,150 tracks. It would take roughly2.2 years if Mr. Friedwald played each song back to back. That 9GB equates to roughly 1,800 tracks, most of which were ripped from CDs

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
Priorities have changed I listen to a lot more music online. I have moved a lot recently and its more convenient to have everything on an internal drive than external. I am also only going to keep my absolute favourite albums. The reason for going down to 20gb of music is because that is how much free space I have for music on my phone. I also listen to a lot more podcasts which cuts into the time I had to enjoy music.
Are these iTunes purchases, cd rips? if they're outside of iTunes just through em on Match or if iTunes iCloud Music Library.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
My music library is only about 1000 songs. But I don't have enough room even with my HD clear to put my movies and tv shows and everything els eI have on it

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
I'd rather not pay for that / use cell data
You don't specifically have to...

I don't have any of my content loaded into iTunes, i download it on wifi and its there. i make all my purchases via iTunes, but with any iTunes purchase its always available to you with no storage limitation.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
You don't specifically have to...

I don't have any of my content loaded into iTunes, i download it on wifi and its there. i make all my purchases via iTunes, but with any iTunes purchase its always available to you with no storage limitation.
So what is the advantage then?

dreamcast

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Henderson, Nevada
I have 76,580 total songs in my iTunes Library. I've been collecting music for about 15 years and they are all 256kbps AAC format. I finally was able to use iTunes Match recently when they increased the song limit to 100k. I spent over $800 just to upgrade a lot of my library from iTunes 128kbps protected to 256 unprotected when Apple offered the upgrade plan. I should have just waited until the iTunes Match to get the free bit rate upgrade. But I was happy because at least all my rare U2 collection was upgraded since its out of print/digital and iTunes Match wouldn't have helped. I bought the Complete U2, the Complete Depeche Mode and I'm lucky I did because its out of print/digital. I have the complete Bob Dylan, Complete Stevie Wonder, Complete REM and the Complete Beatles, plus a rare Complete Andy Gibb After Dark Limited that iTunes once sold but not anymore. Every album is meticulously organized with the iTunes cover art and almost every album i have is complete. (i hate having only 3 singles from an album).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 2.08.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 2.08.59 PM.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

The Evaluator

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Fairfax Station, VA
When I read of all these large music collections, my first thought is: how much of that music did you pay for. For the most part, most of the Millennials I know steal most of the music they collect. When I told a nephew not one of my songs was stolen, he said I was an idiot. Hmmm... If you support and appreciate art, you should pay for that art. As such, I hope most of these enormous music collections are legal, otherwise the boasting about total size is actually bragging about the size of the felony you have committed.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
When I read of all these large music collections, my first thought is: how much of that music did you pay for. For the most part, most of the Millennials I know steal most of the music they collect. When I told a nephew not one of my songs was stolen, he said I was an idiot. Hmmm... If you support and appreciate art, you should pay for that art. As such, I hope most of these enormous music collections are legal, otherwise the boasting about total size is actually bragging about the size of the felony you have committed.
lol

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
you don't have to manage your storage limit if its sitting in the cloud waiting for you to use it. family simple concept
true but I have to pay for the service and manage what I download to my device not to mention mobile data charges associated with that or am I missing something.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
true but I have to pay for the service and manage what I download to my device not to mention mobile data charges associated with that or am I missing something.

It really depends on where you've consumed your content. If its all iTunes purchases...then nothing needs to be bought. iTunes Purchases in the Cloud should show you on your devices everything you've purchased wether or not you have subscribed to any services. IE; like the AppleTV nothing gets downloaded to it or any subscription required, but if you buy something from Apple it shows there to stream. BUT with Mac, iPad, iPhone you can download as you need and turn off stream over Cellular and only wi-fi, etc.

I don't currently subscribe to any iCloud services but have purchased all my tv programs and music from there and I do because I was sick of syncing via the Mac and just wanted to tap and play, I have it disabled over Cellular, but if i want something to listen to I just tap download when on Wifi and its good to go.

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
I think I'm at about 25K tracks of studio recordings and 40K tracks of live music. This is the "size" that we should all be comparing... Or even comparing number of albums. Size is based way more on the filetypes than the number of files. All my files are ALAC, some even 24/48 and 24/96 so my average sized collection becomes a space hog at over 3TB. I keep my music library on a 4TB external and time machine that drive and my local HD onto a 5TB drive. Next step is to move the music to the 5TB and use a 6TB for backup.

Good times!

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I think I'm at about 25K tracks of studio recordings and 40K tracks of live music. This is the "size" that we should all be comparing... Or even comparing number of albums. Size is based way more on the filetypes than the number of files. All my files are ALAC, some even 24/48 and 24/96 so my average sized collection becomes a space hog at over 3TB. I keep my music library on a 4TB external and time machine that drive and my local HD onto a 5TB drive. Next step is to move the music to the 5TB and use a 6TB for backup.

Good times!
This is exactly what why I reduced my library.

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
I have around 1,000 CDs as I'm old school and like the actual songs in my hand and the artwork. I only have about 1/3 ripped to my iTunes set up though. Not sure what that really equates to.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
I have around 1,000 CDs as I'm old school and like the actual songs in my hand and the artwork. I only have about 1/3 ripped to my iTunes set up though. Not sure what that really equates to.
its always interesting to me people say they like CDs or are 'old school and like CDs' when its inherently just another digital medium..i guess with iPod and iPhone you can hold ALL the artists songs and artwork similarly

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
its always interesting to me people say they like CDs or are 'old school and like CDs' when its inherently just another digital medium..i guess with iPod and iPhone you can hold ALL the artists songs and artwork similarly

Agreed, it's not as old school as the other vinyls I have as well. I guess I like the physical collection over it just being a digital medium. I grew up buying CDs (from about 12 anyway, cassettes before that!) and always enjoyed looking through the artwork, like the aesthetics of it. All makes for what I enjoy about buying a new album I guess.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Agreed, it's not as old school as the other vinyls I have as well. I guess I like the physical collection over it just being a digital medium. I grew up buying CDs (from about 12 anyway, cassettes before that!) and always enjoyed looking through the artwork, like the aesthetics of it. All makes for what I enjoy about buying a new album I guess.
yeah, i wish there were more elements in iTunes to have artwork - its there. just not iTunes LP maybe.
one thing i don't like though is really some artists who snob at making their music available on iTunes. i mean come on, whats the difference between someone having it on their phone vs the radio and I know they've had their music play on the radio.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
20,601 songs, 642 movies, 808 TV shows, 1,100 apps. All legally obtained. Total size of iTunes library, 2.4 Tbytes.

John Crichton

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Hi
world's largest iTunes collection 849Gb the owner of that collection, Will Friedwald, maintains a massive archive of 849 GB of music equating to 172,150 tracks. It would take roughly2.2 years if Mr. Friedwald played each song back to back. That 9GB equates to roughly 1,800 tracks, most of which were ripped from CDs

That story you pasted in is nearly a decade old, and my own collection is larger than that. 273,293 at 2.4TB.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
For those who used the PDF shared here to organize your music. In iOS 10 you cannot use star rating for music unless you ask siri to rate the song. The only option available is like or dislike.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.