Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Back in 2013 I broke down and bought a 3Tb Fusion drive to handle about 300 GB of Music and 1 TB of movies, since iCloud, Apple Music, and the ATV4 rocked the market, I'm not sure if having a large iTunes library is even relevant anymore.

I've been wondering about this.

I always use to stream from my iMac to the Apple TV but now due to the cloud I just stream from them..

My question is though.. Shouldn't we be downloading everything we buy as a back up? If Apple lose a content deal then movies, TV & music could be pulled from the store which would mean losing your cloud version and having to purchase again elsewhere etc.

I download everything I buy then its expensive keeping up with External drives etc

DeathBySprinkles

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
United States
how does one get ahold of 700 plus gigs of songs and such? I mean sure you could pirate it but with my luck id get caught after 100 gigs or so, my hats off to you guys who can get that much music.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
how does one get ahold of 700 plus gigs of songs and such? I mean sure you could pirate it but with my luck id get caught after 100 gigs or so, my hats off to you guys who can get that much music.

I buy all my stuff through iTunes with the exception of the music which is mainly CD's I've been buying since the 90's. My library is coming up to 5TB which is sounding a bit crazy but then I don't have cable subscription so I just buy season passes every year for the shows I watch.. I think each year the TV shows add about 200 gig.. technically once I've watched them I prob won't watch them for awhile and possibly years but I keep them whilst I've paid for them.

Classic160

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Great White North
Not sure how big my iTunes library is. All I know is that I recently maxed out my trusty Classic 7th gen 160Gb iPod. All music, no video. And that's about half of my music collection. I still have hundreds of cd's to rip. All my video files live on multiple external hard drives that I can plug in and stream as needed.

acemachine26

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2017
I currently have 2211 albums which is 22,366 songs. My iTunes library contains nothing but music and its total size is 742.23GB.
HbvWZjK.jpg

Reactions: iPhoenix

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I currently have 2211 albums which is 22,366 songs. My iTunes library contains nothing but music and its total size is 742.23GB.
HbvWZjK.jpg

They must all be at a very high bitrate. My library is about 15500 songs, with the minimum bitrate being 128, but mostly 256 or 320 and is around 100GB

Reactions: DeepIn2U

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Yeah, around 90% of my library is lossless.

It is better to go Lossless? I recently re-ripped all my CDs but in 256kbps AAC.

Given the original intent of this thread my iTunes music library is 52.63GB. That's 6,840 songs (it says "items" at the bottom).
[doublepost=1491757257][/doublepost]
Damn ... I keep my tracks in AAC 320Kbps bitrate ... only the best quality to my ears as much as possible.

Can you tell the difference between 256k and 320k? I also do buy my music. Mostly from CDs but I also buy from the iTunes Store. My only worry if hypothetically I move to another country what happens to my iTunes purchased music? Does Apple have any rights to prevent me from listening to songs I've bought?

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
bigpoppamac31 said:
Can you tell the difference between 256k and 320k? I also do buy my music. Mostly from CDs but I also buy from the iTunes Store. My only worry if hypothetically I move to another country what happens to my iTunes purchased music? Does Apple have any rights to prevent me from listening to songs I've bought?

PS: I hope I quoted the right person.

I don't think I. an tell the difference ... however should I get to play my music (preference is Progressive/Tech House, Afro House, Ska, Roots and Culture, Jazz) in a much better stereo speakers than my Sonos Play:1 or the upcoming BeoPlay M5 ... as at my friends place then I'll definitely notice and it's not just the volume ... the frequency range is much broader and thus I can hear the music vibrating window frames or feeling it in the open wood floors.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
According to my iTunes folder, I have 8.5 tb.

6.39 tb in TV shows, 1.81 tb in Movies, and 300 gb in Music.

None of the TV shows or Movies was ripped; all of it was bought from iTunes. A significant portion of the Music was ripped from my CD collection.

98winds

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2016
After building an iTunes library over the last decade, streaming has taken over.

There are many stories of Apple Music messing with our iTunes libraries, leading us to other streamers.

The only way I'll try Apple Music is, if it's completely independent from my library, either as an option within iTunes, or, as a stand alone, like Spotify...

Reactions: IronWaffle

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
My library is coming up to 5TB which is sounding a bit crazy but then I don't have cable subscription so I just buy season passes every year for the shows I watch.
So that includes TV shows and movies? Mine is 4.75 TB, but I am currently on B in my attempt to rid my iTunes of duplicates (I can't use the iTunes function as there are duplicates that I want to keep, e.g. Beatles albums in mono, stereo, original mix and most recent mix. I also use VLC for movies as I have my Mac Pro hooked up to my TV, a 60" Pioneer plasma, also using the TOSLink for surround sound.

As to the music, that only includes mostly MP3, and trying to upgrade everything to 320. It does not include my other files of FLACs and Apple Lossless, which I can't or don't add to iTunes, it takes long enough to open as it is. I do wish that Apple would rethink iTunes to a cleaner, leaner app and if they want a media center app, add a separate one. Music is different from movies and TV and a different approach seems worthwhile.
[doublepost=1502988589][/doublepost]
Can you tell the difference between 256k and 320k?
Depends on where and when you listen to music. I use my iPod touch in my car, and it has a good sound system, but even with that, external noise, car noise really limit how much detail you can hear, though when you crank it, the differences become more evident. At home I can play that same music through my stereo/surround sound system, and while the difference is relatively slight (you can really hear the difference between 128 and 320), there is a difference.

The bigger difference is when you listen to a cd or FLAC or Apple Lossless file, which provide more complete sound. While you can't hear the lower and higher ranges, if you have good ears and a good system, you can feel the difference. But it is an experience in that if you are not used to it, you may not have the same sense of it. I grew up in the age of stereo and stereo systems, with big speakers and big sound, and I still love to crank it at times, and that's when you really notice the difference, a good quality cd or lossless file can't be beat for a distortion free loud listening experience.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
So that includes TV shows and movies? Mine is 4.75 TB, but I am currently on B in my attempt to rid my iTunes of duplicates (I can't use the iTunes function as there are duplicates that I want to keep, e.g. Beatles albums in mono, stereo, original mix and most recent mix. I also use VLC for movies as I have my Mac Pro hooked up to my TV, a 60" Pioneer plasma, also using the TOSLink for surround sound.

Yep and I'm creeping up to 6TB now as I bought a few big box sets.

The bigger difference is when you listen to a cd or FLAC or Apple Lossless file, which provide more complete sound. While you can't hear the lower and higher ranges, if you have good ears and a good system, you can feel the difference. But it is an experience in that if you are not used to it, you may not have the same sense of it. I grew up in the age of stereo and stereo systems, with big speakers and big sound, and I still love to crank it at times, and that's when you really notice the difference, a good quality cd or lossless file can't be beat for a distortion free loud listening experience.

I also rip in lossless I remember being able to tell a difference if I really listened carefully but now I find it a little more difficult to distinguish! must be getting old.. to be fair, if you have to spend time carefully listening to be able to tell the difference It makes me wonder why we go to great lengths to rip it in lossless etc.. I'll keeping doing it but I sometimes wonder why lol

StevieRay

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
Only counting Music and Music Video I am currently at 2.3 TB. And it blew up my Apple Music account.

If we count movies I am over 8TB.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Think our libraries will likely double with the inclusion of 4k content :) I was hoping they'd be available now to check out on my 5k Mac but guessing will have to wait till the 4k Apple TV is released.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
340GB of music, almost 50'000 songs. I've been collecting for about 18 years now. Many days & hours spent in secondhand stores, filling iTunes wishlists, asking for iTunes gift cards as presents and buying vinyl records with digital codes. I'm a music fan, what can I say?

A mate and I raced to get to 100GB. He won, but I've overtaken him a fair amount. One day I'll fill 1TB. That said, it'll take 4 iPhones to house it all though.

Last edited:

TheGeneralLee86

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
West Topsham, VT
I have a 2GB in Music, 245 Movies which takes up 976.17GB HDD Space, 188 TV shows which takes up 1.07TB HDD Space! and I have almost every movies I have ever seen or seen bits and pieces of it though not all of them and I still have a ton more movies on my Wish list along with TV shows!

P.S.
I' am Hoping to get up to 300 movies by next spring and 250 TV shows!

kipwheeler

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2016
I have maybe 8,000 songs and 40 GB. Originally, most of them were imported from CDs in the 90s, but that number has now been overtaken by downloads from the Apple Music Store.

My wife has a similar amount in terms of numbers of *complete* songs, but about 80 GB in file size when you count all the bits and pieces she's assembling; she's a musician and records tons of files to mix together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.