Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eobet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Ok, my 6.1 Mac Pro is still on Mojave but I am curious about SwiftUI and I can't do the live preview thing without upgrading.

Can anyone post some detailed instructions for benchmarks I can run on Mojave to compare with Monterey? I've seen a mention of Geekbench that I guess is pretty straightforward, but what other things can I test?

(I really, really hope I won't regret this "upgrade"... I don't like how Apple's walled garden is now more like a Berlin Wall...)

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I've disabled sleep and so far so good. Everything working well as far as I can tell. So I will reinstall as planned but I'm wondering whether my OWC Aura Pro 2 SSD might not have something to do with this. Back when I first installed it (macOS 10.13) there were kernel panics due to IONVMeController.cpp which stopped after firmware update. I wonder whether Monterey update has upset it??
I have been doing a test to see if I get the crash from sleep wake up with default settings for power.

Get the crash too. My system is set to send crash reports to Apple, so I hope they look at it. They should notice a consistency in the same crash data on multiple Mac Pro 2013’s so hopefully in the next update they will resolve it.

Have the same OWC 1 TB SSD. Does anyone else without an OWC (non-Apple) SSD and non-Apple RAM (Crucial) having the same crash issue?

When I set the power setting to full with no sleep and uncheck everything, no crashes.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Any new firmware in 12.2 ?
No, hoping Apple addresses it in 12.3. I am sure by now Apple is aware of the issue, so if something will come out for a fix, it may show up in the final 12.3 release. I am sure there is nothing right now with 12.3 beta (don’t do beta any more).

CrimsonKingx007

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2022
Hey guys, I have a problem I've been fighting for the last week or so. I've bought a MacPro11,1 retina (late 2013) without the NVME SSD, have installed an aftermarket NVME drive, it shows up during install, i can install on it, but after the initial install it does not boot from it, and it does not appear in startup manager. I currently have in running of a USB stick with 10.13.6 and I found out that the boot ROM version is MBP111.0138.B14, and you guys have different numbers for the EFi and Boot ROM versions. How can I update that? or do i need to find an original Apple NVME for this model?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Hey guys, I have a problem I've been fighting for the last week or so. I've bought a MacPro11,1 retina (late 2013) without the NVME SSD, have installed an aftermarket NVME drive, it shows up during install, i can install on it, but after the initial install it does not boot from it, and it does not appear in startup manager. I currently have in running of a USB stick with 10.13.6 and I found out that the boot ROM version is MBP111.0138.B14, and you guys have different numbers for the EFi and Boot ROM versions. How can I update that? or do i need to find an original Apple NVME for this model?
I think you need to ask that in the MacBook Pro forum. This forum is for the Mac Pro desktop computer, which is not a laptop.

createstuff

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2022
I have a Mac Pro 6,1 with Firmware version 429.60.3.0.0. I bought a WD PC SN530 NVME off eBay that I am struggling to get to work as my boot drive. I have installed it internally and then installed Catalina to it from a separate USB drive loaded with an installer. Install goes fine and I restart to a flashing '?'. I restart again and zap the PRAM and then the system boots up fine.

I can then restart the computer however many times I want with no problems. However, If I shut down and then restart I get the same flashing ?, which can then be solved by zapping the PRAM. Any ideas why this is happening and how I can get it to work properly.

For reference the WD has been reformatted several times and I've installed both Big Sur and Catalina, on different occasions, in an effort to figure out what is going on. I've even taken the drive out and put it into an OWC enclosure and tried installing to it there. It works fine as a boot up drive in the external enclosure.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have a Mac Pro 6,1 with Firmware version 429.60.3.0.0. I bought a WD PC SN530 NVME off eBay that I am struggling to get to work as my boot drive. I have installed it internally and then installed Catalina to it from a separate USB drive loaded with an installer. Install goes fine and I restart to a flashing '?'. I restart again and zap the PRAM and then the system boots up fine.

I can then restart the computer however many times I want with no problems. However, If I shut down and then restart I get the same flashing ?, which can then be solved by zapping the PRAM. Any ideas why this is happening and how I can get it to work properly.

For reference the WD has been reformatted several times and I've installed both Big Sur and Catalina, on different occasions, in an effort to figure out what is going on. I've even taken the drive out and put it into an OWC enclosure and tried installing to it there. It works fine as a boot up drive in the external enclosure.
Several blades are not compatible with Mac Pro, Macs have more strict specifications than PCs. It's very common not fully compatible blades to not work from cold boot, but working fine from warm boot. Also some are exactly the reverse.

Replace it with a know working blade. Remember that your Mac Pro was never intended to use a 3rd party NVMe blade.

createstuff

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2022
Understood. The seller claims to have sold 'hundreds of these with zero problems' and verified that he has one in a Mac Pro himself. Now I get that everyone says this stuff but he does have 100% and over 5000 transactions for over 20 years on eBay and sells a ton of these drives. This leads me to believe that he's not just BSing me, but that is why I'm asking in hopes that there was something I missed.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Understood. The seller claims to have sold 'hundreds of these with zero problems' and verified that he has one in a Mac Pro himself. Now I get that everyone says this stuff but he does have 100% and over 5000 transactions for over 20 years on eBay and sells a ton of these drives. This leads me to believe that he's not just BSing me, but that is why I'm asking in hopes that there was something I missed.
Hundreds sold without problems and is a blade never listed on the PCIe blades thread?!?

We already know that WD SN550 is not compatible, if the SN530 have the same firmware or is based on the same source, it won't be compatible.

Anyway, we here have a lot more strict definition of what work or not than sellers. Also, you should have looked at the table before buying anything since the immediately over blade is listed as not compatible or having issues, this it's not a good sign for compatibility.

jcp-123

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2019
London
I was having problems with my nMP when trying out Kryptonite to mount my eGPU (the OpenCore boot picker wasn’t working). Now I can’t access Recovery or use option key to select boot drive.

I removed Kryptonite and I upgraded to Monterey using the original Apple SSD to ensure boot rom is 429.60.3.0.0 (it is now) and put the Sabrent NVMe drive back in.

Still no luck. No access to Recovery or boot picker. Running first aid throws up errors. I would like to wipe the Sabrent and reinstall to a clean drive but cannot as can’t access recovery or MacOS install USB!

Any advice on how I get back to the recovery partition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.