Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
The keyboard in my 2018 MacBook Pro has been replaced once. Thankfully under warranty, but the next time which is probably inevitable it will be out of pocket. Hoping this lawsuit results in a recall.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Finally! We also need another lawsuit with iPad touch screen problems, bending and light bleeding.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Even three or four people could be enough for a civil suit, so the class action doesn’t mean anything in term of numbers
It doesn't take but an easy search much further than this forum over run with apologists to see plenty of websites with a more unbiased opinion about this keyboard. Search change.org and you'll find numerous petitions signed by thousands. Apple designed a keyboard with too tight of a tolerance for something that is primarily mechanical. Hence, why they left this design behind after trying numerous times with different revisions to make it more reliable. This in of itself is a pretty damning proof. Especially, when you see every model after this being fitted with the scissor-switches again. However, your ridiculous argument is that it's fine. Someone who knows jack squat about R&D, tooling, and overall manufacturing of these. Many, many millions flushed on a keyboard that lasted 4-5 years and wasn't improved but abandoned. Is that your proof of quality and this only affects a small number?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I'd be so curious to understand what goes on within Apple sometimes. They know they have a flawed design and they keep making more and more of it. Then they replace the flawed design with the same exact flawed design. Why?

Everyone makes mistakes, and it happens that a product ends up with a major design issue. But then why make the same mistake over and over again across multiple models and generations of products? It's just so weird.

I'm glad that there are consequences for this, hopefully something will change for the better. These are premium products and people are often spending a year or more's worth of savings on them, with the hopes that they will last longer for the extra cost.
Remember antennagate?

Thanks to Jobs, Ive and the design team was given special authority over the engineering team. We probably wouldn’t know for sure until many decades later, but I’m guessing the design team was forcing for a thinner design laptops, that the engineering team had to come up with something. The butterfly keyboard design itself was quite amazing in a vacuum, but clearly it wasn’t ready for real world reliability.

as for why Apple replacing current butterfly keyboard units with the same one, well, the thinner design probably doesn’t allow Apple to simply switch to the new mechanism. It’s a catch22. Just be grateful that there’s a repair program to begin with.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I’ve been having the keyboard issues with my 2018 15” MBP. I bought it thinking it was unlikely to happen to me, especially after seeing reports that Apple was still rated by Consumer Reports as the most reliable laptop brand. I was thinking it was only a small percentage that was just vocal.

And then after a few months, it began happening. Luckily, it seems to rarely happen over the past month or two. I think it’s triggered by heat and repetition because it’s cooled down lately outside and in my apartment compared to summer/fall, and it always seemed to happen more frequently when the laptop was warmer. I’m glad it’s been going away for me, but I’m sure it will come back and I wonder if it’ll just keep evolving to more and more keys. I haven’t been wanting to take it to Apple bc while annoying and inconvenient, it hasn’t been enough for me to spend the time and energy to take it in and be without it for some time.

Reactions: Jimmy Bubbles

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Lawyers can you get on the bright spot on the 10.5 inch iPads there’s a massive thread on this forum FYI.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Waste of everyone's time. Nothing meaningful comes out of class action suits.

The keyboard was redesigned. Let's move on.
But how many keyboards have you had break on you? This is my first mac to EVER have a keyboard issue; this is my fourth Mac, since 2004.
[automerge]1575339128[/automerge]
I’ve been having the keyboard issues with my 2018 15” MBP. I bought it thinking it was unlikely to happen to me, especially after seeing reports that Apple was still rated by Consumer Reports as the most reliable laptop brand. I was thinking it was only a small percentage that was just vocal.

And then after a few months, it began happening. Luckily, it seems to rarely happen over the past month or two. I think it’s triggered by heat and repetition because it’s cooled down lately outside and in my apartment compared to summer/fall, and it always seemed to happen more frequently when the laptop was warmer. I’m glad it’s been going away for me, but I’m sure it will come back and I wonder if it’ll just keep evolving to more and more keys. I haven’t been wanting to take it to Apple bc while annoying and inconvenient, it hasn’t been enough for me to spend the time and energy to take it in and be without it for some time.
My left arrow key just broke over the weekend. This is the replacement part. My original one had keys that were sticky/missing some letters when pressed.

AppleZilla

Suspended
Jul 23, 2010
Three years, no problem with mine. Nobody I know has a problem with theirs. As far as I can tell, only whiny podcasters have this problem. Maybe it's related to being a podcaster? And whiny.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Waste of everyone's time. Nothing meaningful comes out of class action suits.

The keyboard was redesigned. Let's move on.
What do you recommend one do after their replacement keyboard fails and no longer can repeat the cycle of replacements? Remember, it’s only valid for four years after purchase date.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
What do you recommend one do after their replacement keyboard fails and no longer can repeat the cycle of replacements? Remember, it’s only valid for four years after purchase date.
The recurrence rate on the latest gen keyboards seems to be far lower than the previous. Hard to say at this point, but four years is quite a long time.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Problem solved. Case closed—this guy doesn’t have a problem, and all three of his friends don’t have a single problem either. He’s the most scientific at finding data we know.
[automerge]1575340251[/automerge]
Three years, no problem with mine. Nobody I know has a problem with theirs. As far as I can tell, only whiny podcasters have this problem. Maybe it's related to being a podcaster? And whiny.

Problem solved. Case closed—this guy doesn’t have a problem, nor do all three of his friends. He’s the most scientific at finding data we know.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
The recurrence rate on the latest gen keyboards seems to be far lower than the previous. Hard to say at this point, but four years is quite a long time.

I have three active MBPs: a mid 2015, an early 2013, and a mid 2009 17" c2d. None of them have ever had any keyboard problems, or hardware problems for that matter. Four years is nothing in MBP time.

Reactions: raybo

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
please define "a lot". In your answer you are continuing the problem. there are not a lot in any measurable way, there are a few, some. Certainly there is a defect rate, but it has never been proven to be very large at all. simply saying "many, many", or "a lot" doesn't get you there

The failure rate has neither been proven to be low nor high. The perception is that it’s substantially higher than a scissor mechanism keyboard. The number of failures is only meaningful relative to either historical values or as compared to an acceptable standard. None of us knows this number, so it’s left to perception and personal experience.

Define “a few”. Your post is simply contrarian.

Reactions: raybo and PC_tech

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
They didn’t force anything on you, stop being so dramatic.
Sure they did - I cannot do my job without software that only runs on MacOS and I’m on call 24/7/365 which means I have to have a laptop.

I do most of my work on a desktop Mac - but there’s a 13” laptop in my backpack and I need that keyboard to be reliable.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
The failure rate has neither been proven to be low nor high. The perception is that it’s substantially higher than a scissor mechanism keyboard. The number of failures is only meaningful relative to either historical values or as compared to an acceptable standard. None of us knows this number, so it’s left to perception and personal experience.

Define “a few”. Your post is simply contrarian.
I have been using scissor switch keyboards every day all day long for 20 years and never had a failure. I also can’t remember hearing anyone else have a failure.

literally everyone I know with a butterfly keyboard has had to have it repaired at least once. And out of warranty they cost several hundred dollars since other more expensive components are permanently glued to the keyboard.

It is clearly unreliable and also unreasonably expensive to repair. The exact failure rate and average repair costs will be researched as part of this lawsuit... but until then I think we can safely assume this lawsuit has merit.

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Germany
As one who has now had 3 keyboard replacements on a 2017 MacBook Book Pro I say good, I hope they get hammered on this. Every time I have to get it replaced I lose it for at least 2 weeks while they wait for parts and repair time. Get nothing but lip service from them on the issue. They should have given up after their "tweaks" didn't work. Apple has pretty much admitted guilt by offering 4 years extended warranty on these 2016-2019 models. Even their so called "new" 2019 15" Pro got covered on release, that tells you how much confidence they had.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Sure they did - I cannot do my job without software that only runs on MacOS and I’m on call 24/7/365 which means I have to have a laptop.

I do most of my work on a desktop Mac - but there’s a 13” laptop in my backpack and I need that keyboard to be reliable.

So Apple forced you to get a job that requires there products?

Reactions: G5isAlive

tubomac

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2013
Japan
I believe that Jony Ive should pay with his own money for all the damage he made due to his almighty pompous personality and stubbornness...OK..I'm joking (but not so much).
I agree! Apple should refund forever who has problem with this stupid keyboard. It's OK if you made a mistake once, but a second time and even a third time, that's unacceptable! Really some Apple designer are so dumb to don't understand that if you seal a whole keyboard and make it unrepairable when it happens that some dust or even very modest quantity of liquid enters betweens the keys you are in a big trouble? Really? I believe this is the ABC of design.
(and all of this just to save half of a millimeter ...your are dumb two times!)
For this reason, sorry Apple, you should pay forever for this keyboard, until you fixed all troubles. People work with Macbook and it's just ridicolous that such an expensive working tool could break during normal usage.
I hope Apple pays even more and learn the lesson that is:
LISTEN PEOPLE 'S COMPLAINS!

Reactions: DanBig

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
That’s exactly the way the work.
Nope. Usually customers don’t even need to talk to a lawyer to receive compensation from a class action lawsuit. The company will just say “fill out this form and we’ll mail you a certificate” or something like that. I know that because I’ve been involved in a couple of these the last few years.

Yeah the payouts weren’t large at all, but not once did I speak to a lawyer.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
So Apple forced you to get a job that requires there products?
Job positions and related tasks exists which require specific equipment. You can't compare your opinion of a product to your reasons. But, it wouldn't matter because the product doesn't meet the expectations that the company has established for providing a sound consumer good that isn't prone to failures from daily use. Normal use is typing on it at least 4-5 hours every day. It ***** fails in a much shorter period of time than the scissor-switch keyboards. The people not complaining are the ones who purchased them for status symbols to surf the web and peck away a few minutes to a couple of hours at most a day. If they even use it every day. Most of these button pushers won't notice it failing any time soon. I've been switching over to a Lenovo in the mean time because my damn space bar is starting to act finicky. Apple's quality control, of late, is garbage for a trillion dollar valued company.

Reactions: tubomac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.