Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I’d post my cosmos blue, but it’s not turning anywhere as quickly as my old saddle.

same with my product red case, its aging, but slowly, I've only had it for about a month now, I want to age it, but, its taking really long, though it looks so good, and then switch to the cosmos blue, then age that.

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
My old 6s case.
Don’t know how long. Ended up swapping for the triple block.

Have a saddle brown on my X with a black and cosmos waiting.

7b62acf1a83a5091006af8144276edea.jpg
948610ab9e1bd539bcddafcb906e75ab.jpg
e5d5478c0b201618a170165329cdc654.jpg

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Question for the Apple leather case users, how has it handled drops? I really like the case, but with a toddler in the house I need protection out of a case. I'm also a little apprehensive about the bottom being open, but that's just my insecurities I guess.
About a year ago, I dropped my 6S+ which is in a black Apple leather case, on my driveway. It landed on the bottom left corner and then fell face down. The phone was perfect in every way and there was a scuff on that corner of the leather case. Now, after all this time, the case doesn't look like it did when it first fell as seen in the top picture below. I have a Apple leather case on my 6S+, 6S, 6+ and now my 7+. I would not hesitate to ever buy one again knowing it fully protected my 6S+.

IMG_9993.JPG
IMG_0131.jpg

Reactions: Greysider

singjai

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
Saddle brown after about a month of use on my X. Had it for 2.5 years on the 6. Cosmos was my first choice but took a month to get from best buy so used this while I waited.

My cosmos blue case just came in yesterday so i'll update on that after i start seeing changes

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,339

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
About a year ago, I dropped my 6S+ which is in a black Apple leather case, on my driveway. It landed on the bottom left corner and then fell face down. The phone was perfect in every way and there was a scuff on that corner of the leather case. Now, after all this time, the case doesn't look like it did when it first fell as seen in the top picture below. I have a Apple leather case on my 6S+, 6S, 6+ and now my 7+. I would not hesitate to ever buy one again knowing it fully protected my 6S+.

View attachment 744533 View attachment 744534
Wait, so the leather just 'healed' over time?

From the original scrape, it seems like it healed up very nicely.

Reactions: Chicagogirlie

singjai

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
Wait, so the leather just 'healed' over time?

From the original scrape, it seems like it healed up very nicely.

It's pretty cool how it these leather cases do that. I somehow "cut" the side my leather case on my 6. It was like a 3 mm cut and stuck out. I pushed it into place and occasionally rubbed it in and within a week or so it bonded back together.. The scar was still there but that was it.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It's pretty cool how it these leather cases do that. I somehow "cut" the side my leather case on my 6. It was like a 3 mm cut and stuck out. I pushed it into place and occasionally rubbed it in and within a week or so it bonded back together.. The scar was still there but that was it.
Nice. My 6s case is Polycarbonate but has a soft-touch back (similar to Apple's Silicone, but more durable), & I can scrape my nail across it with some force, but it'll rub out over time.

But the self-healing on the leather takes it to another level. Good scuff....I mean stuff. :D

Surratt14

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
My Project Red. Don't like it, looks more dirty than aged. Wish I'd gone for the brown now, as my watch strap is starting to slowly look pretty nice.
I actually kinda like that. Was torn between the red an saddle. Decided on th saddle brown.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey

View attachment 744533 View attachment 744534

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Glad to see all is fine w your phone. Your case looks great in the second pic!

Reactions: JamiLynee

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
All,

I'm curious to see the patina on those Apple Leather cases. This one is my Pink Fuchsia - 3 weeks of use. Let's see yours!

This is not "patina" this is either neglect, abuse, or product defect. I would be embarrassed to carry around a three week old phone in a case that looked like it had been run over by a car 10 times over the last month.
[doublepost=1514938210][/doublepost]
My Project Red. Don't like it, looks more dirty than aged. Wish I'd gone for the brown now, as my watch strap is starting to slowly look pretty nice.

Wow, what are people doing with their phones, putting them through the mud then in a washing machine? Gross. I guess this is why I tend to stick with black leather cases, don't have this issue, but many of the photos here people call patina are nothing more than abuse\negligent treatment\manufacturer defects.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
This is my issue with leather - new, they look brilliant, but then they change into something that's not very attractive imo.

I really wouldn't want to touch a typical owners leather case after they've had it a while - like shaking hands with someone who hasn't washed in months, or using someone elses Airpods after they've been wearing them for a week (or even a day).

Granted, I don't normally handle other people's phones anyway. Just commenting on impressions of the wear of the leather.

Perhaps I'm overreacting...:D

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
This is my issue with leather - new, they look brilliant, but then they change into something that's not very attractive imo.

I really wouldn't want to touch a typical owners leather case after they've had it a while - like shaking hands with someone who hasn't washed in months, or using someone elses Airpods after they've been wearing them for a week (or even a day).

Granted, I don't normally handle other people's phones anyway. Just commenting on impressions of the wear of the leather.

Perhaps I'm overreacting...:D

This is actually the best analysis I've seen. Leather is a material that's absolutely not anti-bacterial in nature. Leather is skin... and even when treated is a bacteria magnet. Gosh, now you've made me think twice about ever letting someone touch my phone. LOL

Thanks for the visual though... it was actually spot-on.

RafixPhoenix

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2013
Anybody have pictures of an aged product red leather case for iPhone x? I asked on another thread but no response.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Reactions: infinitejest
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.