Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of tonight's NBA playoff game, the Los Angeles Lakers posted an Instagram reel showing superstar LeBron James arriving at Ball Arena in Denver carrying what appears to be an unreleased version of the Pill speaker from Apple's Beats brand.

lebron-unreleased-beats-pill.jpg

The original Beats Pill was a wireless Bluetooth speaker introduced in 2012 prior to Apple's acquisition of Beats Electronics. It received a few updates in its first several years on the market, with the final revision being a redesigned Pill+ with a Lightning connector introduced under Apple's ownership in 2015.

The Pill+ remained on the market for a number of years in that form before being quietly discontinued in early 2022.

Based on today's video, it appears the Pill may soon be making a comeback, as the speaker in James' hand clearly shows a Beats logo and it includes a lanyard that was not present on previous versions of the speaker.

With the direction of Apple's product lineup, a USB-C port for charging appears likely. And given the previous Pill+ was introduced almost nine years ago, there have been significant advances in Bluetooth and other technologies since that time, so this upcoming version is likely to be a significant improvement. Specific details on the speaker, including a release date, however, remain unknown.

Article Link: LeBron James Spotted With Unreleased Beats Pill Speaker

• Haha
Reactions: JapanApple

mattoruu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Let’s see if we can spot it post-game tonight.

Go Lakers! (Or: Go Nuggets! I have no preference other than wanting to see a good game, lol.)

Reactions: brucemr

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I miss the one time a celebrity was spotted with an unreleased iPhone

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I miss when an employee left an unreleased iPhone in a bar and we all assumed it was an unfinished prototype. Then it came out and looked basically the same, and we LOVED IT

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Nice if it had a large battery in it with an Apple Watch shaped space on it to be able to charge all Apple accessories. And play music via Bluetooth.

Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
It’s gross 🤮, Apple paid for the player to be pictured with an unreleased product. Money better spent on bug fixes!

I’ll stick with my Bose Soundlink.

Guess what? The software engineering and marketing budgets are completely unrelated. They don't now, never have and never will take marketing money and say "let's use this to add to a different department's budget so they can fix some software,"

Last edited:

mattoruu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I’m so upset about this. As we all know, Apple’s marketing department and software development department share the same budget. And the budget is so small that Apple can only afford to do one thing. Now that Apple has paid LeBron for some viral marketing promotion, iOS 18 has now been delayed by two months. Also, Apple needs to cut four new emojis from list. Darn it!

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would love to see a new Pill that includes the same technology that allows AirPods to seamlessly move between apple devices. Or even the way it works on the Beats Buds (or whatever they are called). It's way simpler than any other switching technology I have seen (granted I'm not an expert in the area), but if they added it, I would buy one of these at launch.

Last edited:

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
These things are really hard to advertise because they look a bit ridiculous, and saying "the pill" conversationally sounds like you're discussing contraception.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

maczaddy

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2024
NY
I wouldn’t mind if they bring these back. I love my Sony Bluetooth speakers more, but these were nice and portable. I’d imagine they’d have more features today since they’re an actual Apple product.
Yeah until your realize the Apple team won’t let the beats team use any of their chips and the pill will work better with an Android than it will an iPhone :/

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Do you think when celebrities are paid to do this that they even give it a try, just purely for the novelty? Like do you think this ever got connected to his phone? Probably not…

Reactions: amartinez1660

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
Why do celebrities get access to unreleased products!?!!?!?

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.