Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Very selective quoting. Says me enough.
I understand that you’ve moved on from Beats and you’ve upped your game. But it doesn’t make Beats trash though.

I noticed you ignored my question about Powerbeats pro being 'low quality junk'. So I guess I’m cool with being as selective as you. Moving on…

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
I understand that you’ve moved on from Beats and you’ve upped your game. But it doesn’t make Beats trash though.

I noticed you ignored my question about Powerbeats pro being 'low quality junk'. So I guess I’m cool with being as selective as you. Moving on…

I said "They may have gotten better", here I was talking about the PowerBeats Pro.

Which.. well.. still aren't good.
See: https://www.soundguys.com/apple-beats-powerbeats-pro-review-23562/

Pros:
  1. Bluetooth 5.0, Class 1
  2. Apple's H1 chip allows for much greater flexibility
  3. Sound quality
  4. Secure fit
Cons:
  1. Under-emphasized mids
  2. Isolation not great
  3. Cost

With their score being a 6,8/10
They currently coset € 300 on the local Apple Store.

The Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X
Pros:
  1. Sound quality
  2. Good isolation
  3. Plush fit
  4. Replaceable parts
Cons:
  1. Price
  2. A bit heavy
  3. Could be a little tougher

Their rating https://www.soundguys.com/beyerdynamic-dt-700-pro-x-review-60868/ gave it a 7.2.
Price currently at a local pro music store: €239

So I'd say the price con should be just on the PowerBeats.
The DT700 ProX is indeed a bit on the heavier side (lighter than the AirPods Max still, though) and the "could be a little bit tougher" is more because they really aren't meant for outside use. (which is fine)

So yeah, overpriced is still applicable to Beats. The quality might have gotten better though. But "Under-emphasized mids" is enough to place question marks there as well.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
It’s gross 🤮, Apple paid for the player to be pictured with an unreleased product. Money better spent on bug fixes!

I’ll stick with my Bose Soundlink.
I think LeBron (and his son) is/are already a Beats ad person. They wouldn't be paying him per picture in that case. Using products in public is built in to the contract.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
The Amazon river runs for thousands of miles. At some points, it runs through areas of the rainforest that are almost untouched and have been barely explored. Because of the porous limestone in these areas, the river water leaks through the stone and travels deep into the earth, and forms underground pools almost a mile below the surface. Over thousands of years, small blind transparent fish have lived and evolved in these pools. These fish have never seen the sun or surface and have rarely ever been seen by a human.

These fish care more about what Lebron does than I do.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
WhOoooOOooOoah! A new Pill?! 🤡

Wake me when Apple finally retires the Beats brand.
A lot of Apple's budget and mid-tier products in a given product line-up, like wireless audio, are far from Apple's best efforts.

They're not there to impress the savvy buyers. They're instead there to either earn insanely high profit margins on outdated, low-demand components, or to manipulate the buyer into thinking the more expensive models, like AirPods, offer high value/$ and are a great deal despite costing hundreds of dollars.

That's what Beats are and why they're never retiring.

Reactions: Chuckeee

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I said "They may have gotten better", here I was talking about the PowerBeats Pro.

Their rating https://www.soundguys.com/beyerdynamic-dt-700-pro-x-review-60868/ gave it a 7.2.

The DT700 ProX is indeed a bit on the heavier side (lighter than the AirPods Max still, though) and the "could be a little bit tougher" is more because they really aren't meant for outside use. (which is fine)

So yeah, overpriced is still applicable to Beats. The quality might have gotten better though. But "Under-emphasized mids" is enough to place question marks there as well.
Powerbeats Pro isn’t even the same type of system ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’m glad you like your Beyers, but let’s compare Apples to Apples, not to refrigerators.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Who is going to buy it just because he's been seen with it… i really dislike celebrity endorsements. Its highly off putting…

If a product cant sell itself, they bring in a celebrity 😂

I especially dislike it when they put a celebrity, or their name, on the front of a book.. when they clearly had zero involvement with it and contributed no forward… it stinks.

jthomp

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
the 717

Ahead of tonight's NBA playoff game, the Los Angeles Lakers posted an Instagram reel showing superstar LeBron James arriving at Ball Arena in Denver carrying what appears to be an unreleased version of the Pill speaker from Apple's Beats brand.

lebron-unreleased-beats-pill.jpg

The original Beats Pill was a wireless Bluetooth speaker introduced in 2012 prior to Apple's acquisition of Beats Electronics. It received a few updates in its first several years on the market, with the final revision being a redesigned Pill+ with a Lightning connector introduced under Apple's ownership in 2015.

The Pill+ remained on the market for a number of years in that form before being quietly discontinued in early 2022.

Based on today's video, it appears the Pill may soon be making a comeback, as the speaker in James' hand clearly shows a Beats logo and it includes a lanyard that was not present on previous versions of the speaker.

With the direction of Apple's product lineup, a USB-C port for charging appears likely. And given the previous Pill+ was introduced almost nine years ago, there have been significant advances in Bluetooth and other technologies since that time, so this upcoming version is likely to be a significant improvement. Specific details on the speaker, including a release date, however, remain unknown.

Article Link: LeBron James Spotted With Unreleased Beats Pill Speaker
Do people really care? I mean, wow?

LedRush

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
I like the Pill+ and still use one today. It’s incredibly durable and sounds pretty good. I usually listen to music on different speakers, but there’s a good use case for a portable, durable, speaker that’s pretty good.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
You do realize even companies can only spend their money only once. So there are meetings when (typically yearly) budgets are assigned to departments. And big shifts between these department budgets in function of the needs and challenges the company is facing, is crucial. It’s actually one of the most critical jobs of the CEO and board.
Yes, of course. And in fact that supports exactly what I said. The money has already been budgeted, as you say. Marketing money that may be earmarked for athletes/influencers/celebs to show off a product isn't going to another department, ever, period.

What I'm disputing is the constant drumbeat of "spend this money on bug fixes instead" or whatever the complaint of the day happens to be, as if the money for marketing a Beats speaker is going to anything else.

• Haha
Reactions: hagar

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
I’ve always loved my beats pill+, i don’t get all the hate. they’re great speakers. i bought mine in 2016 and they still work fine which is amazing. the same cant be said for any other beats or airpods product i’ve tried lol.

an updated version seems good to me

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014

you’re comparing bluetooth sport headphones to over ear studio monitors. ???🤨

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I still don’t understand why Apple owns this company
They bought Beats for its streaming service so they could build Apple Music quickly before Spotify would dominate the industry (LOL).

Interestingly nobody at Apple really knew Beats also had a hardware division and to this day the people who work there have been coming to work, building and releasing new products without Apple even realising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.