Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Mine is for the same SSD but it’s not full like yours...

E9C835E1-C6BE-460B-A6E0-DB1960AAA52C.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Other then the second to last test, my numbers are inline with yours. I reran the test with the drive cleaned up and the numbers are similar to what I had previously.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Fun with windows.
Installed windows on the new 970 (hence my earlier posts), and I come to find out that I'm running into errors. i'm getting a 0xC0EA000A and no apps are downloading. I google this and spent a good portion of the morning on dealing with that with no success. Since its a fresh install, I just say **** it and reformat and do it over.

Now the windows install tells me the EFI partition is NTFS and I cannot install windows, even though I didn't touch anything. LOL.

I pull the old drive from the laptop and try again, no funky errors doing the install and I repeat much of the stuff I had already done last night and this morning. At least now the app store is back to working and I have the original drive back in the laptop.

I will give apple credit, where this nonsense never happens.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like the X1 Extreme 2nd generation was released - 9th generation processors and GTX1650 as expected. No other differences I can tell.
Yep, I saw it. Yet it shouldn't come to anyone's surprise given that most companies don't make major changes in the second generation of a product. I'm overall happy with my X1E, and this second generation is just a spec bump, a nice improvement but a spec bump nonetheless.

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
I don't like the carbon fibre weave top cover. I think it looks a bit naff - it's so last year. I suppose it might suit people with sticky fingers.

I don't see the point of the i9 in such a thin and heat prone chassis.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I really want the Surface Book 3 or whatever they choose to call it in black :)

I think the U-series + RTX 2060 combo in a refined, slimmer design for the Surface Book 3 would be fantastic and really standout as much as the U-series + GTX 1060 did at the time.

The Surface Book is so damn unique and I wanted one so bad - the only things that turned me off of it is the notebook when “closed” being so thick, oddly shaped and having so much open space, and the well-documented reliability issues of Surface products, although this is improving steadily as the generations go by. I really think SB3 will be a banger.

Reactions: SDColorado

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England

Queen6

macrumors G4
Hi Q-6@ How to determine the values of those Turbo Ratio Limits? By default, mine are: 47, 43, 42, 42, 41, 41, 40.

Trial and error, try reducing all values by a factor of 2-3 and see if that makes a difference. I would just set one profile in Throttle stop and experiment. By reducing the Turbo Limits, you will reduce the power draw and temperature, equally you are also reducing performance and associated fan noise.

Q-6

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Please tell me you are not tempted by one of these.

Apparently the black is known for chipping very easily and looking shabby. It's a paint job rather than a bonded/powder coated kind of finish.

Oh? That's a bummer if true. I saw a video a while back on the process. There is a thin ceramic layer added to the surface of the magnesium and then I believe like 7 coats of the black finish. I would have hoped it would be more durable.

Lenovo has had its own issues with that, Yoga, X1C, possibly the X1E. Not sure if black is just not such a great idea? Or mostly complaints from folks who don't take care of their gear?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...int-comes-off-very-easily/td-p/4132530/page/4

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
@SDColorado - oh dear, those laptops look awful. That should never happen. I've seen other models of thinkpads which are quite old and not subject to this kind of wear - I wonder if the bad paint job is confined to certain models. I would be furious if mine ended up like that.

I saw a 6 month old X1E recently where one of the bottom corners had chipped off (so much for being rugged - or maybe it had been dropped from a great height) and it appeared to be black all the way through. Confusing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lenovo has had its own issues with that, Yoga, X1C, possibly the X1E. Not sure if black is just not such a great idea? Or mostly complaints from folks who don't take care of their gear?
I've seen those and that was one reason that gave me pause in all trustfulness In the end, I decided to take the plunge and roll the dice. I don't think its the color black but the coating that is used. I have no idea what else lenovo could do, but clearly a coating may not be the best option

Queen6

macrumors G4
@SDColorado - oh dear, those laptops look awful. That should never happen. I've seen other models of thinkpads which are quite old and not subject to this kind of wear - I wonder if the bad paint job is confined to certain models. I would be furious if mine ended up like that.

I saw a 6 month old X1E recently where one of the bottom corners had chipped off (so much for being rugged - or maybe it had been dropped from a great height) and it appeared to be black all the way through. Confusing.

You also have to be mindful that Mil-Std-810G is about durability under averse conditions, not cosmetics. The bigger question is "was the notebook working as intended?" as that's what the standard is fundamentally about. Panasonic's ToughBooks are best described as the G-Shock of the notebook world, equally at a handsome price :p Technically impressive, however performance is not their strong point :)

TBH I don't disagree as OEM's need to try harder. I for one living and working across the tropics and sub tropics always try to avoid these soft touch finishes, as they invariably fail within 36-48 months due to the high humidity. They generally become sticky, if not gooey messes and very far from being anything remotely soft to the touch :p

Q-6
[doublepost=1557832246][/doublepost]
Oh? That's a bummer if true. I saw a video a while back on the process. There is a thin ceramic layer added to the surface of the magnesium and then I believe like 7 coats of the black finish. I would have hoped it would be more durable.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...int-comes-off-very-easily/td-p/4132530/page/4

It's not good give the premium. Personally I'll take cosmetic issue over the notebook being unusable due to keyboard failure, and any other special "hardware feature" :p TBH a little wear & tear is the very least of my considerations :)

Certainly doesn't exonerate Lenovo. As for the black SP6 it's just a surface finish, should the underlying substrate be damaged due to impact the surface finish will fail up to including DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) which is literally "hard as nails" :p I like the black SP6, that said I'd be going for silver as my gear gets knocked about. As the say the first scratch is always the deepest :p

Just to add up; I noticed similar on some of the ThinkPad 2in1's where the contact points showed visible wear from being in "tent" mode for lack of better words. Admittedly display models, equally a couple of well placed rubber bumpers would clearly alleviate the issue at minimal cost to the aesthetic...

Q-6

Last edited:

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida

Actually, this is the one reason I bought the X1E, for his looks. I guess each to their own just like some people like sedans or hatchbacks, Black or white cars, etc.

Reactions: c0ppo

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess each to their own just like some people like sedans
Maybe its the Stockholm syndrome :p, but I actually like the understated fit and finish of the Thinkpad.

I've seen some reddit posts, where thinpad owners show off the battle scars as a badge of honor - that's not my cup of tea. I want to keep the laptop in pristine condition but that's just me.

Reactions: Mendota

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
Actually, this is the one reason I bought the X1E, for his looks. I guess each to their own just like some people like sedans or hatchbacks, Black or white cars, etc.

I wasn't saying that Lenovo laptops are ugly (I'm a Thinkpad owner) - I was referring to the chipped/scuffed paint which in my opinion isn't acceptable. I would be unhappy if my laptops looked like that after so little use, in a client facing profession it just looks shoddy.

Like I said, I've seen really old Thinkpads which still look great, so Lenovo seems to have changed how they coat/manufacture the body shells. I've had exactly the same experience with certain handbags over the years - they change the formula on the glazing to cut costs and you end up with cracking, melting, or peeling after a handful of uses. :eek:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I've seen those and that was one reason that gave me pause in all trustfulness In the end, I decided to take the plunge and roll the dice. I don't think its the color black but the coating that is used. I have no idea what else lenovo could do, but clearly a coating may not be the best option

That is probably true that it isn’t the black per se, but it is more evident with black. Much like a black vehicle. The undercoating is typically white or at least a lighter color, so when the black surface becomes scratched or chipped, it stands out in contrast far more than it would than on a lighter colored paint.

Surface Laptop I believe is aluminum and anodized, so holds color better. But from what I understand the magnesium of the Surface Pro and Surface Book 2, is not as porous as aluminum and cannot be anodized. So instead Microsoft used that ceramic coating and layers of paint.

I am guessing like a vehicle, the ceramic coating is a lighter color and therefore any little scratch or chip is going to show in stark contrast. So perhaps black was a poor choice compared to a lighter shade such as “Space Gray.”

I have gotten scratches in Apples Space Gray finish as well and it shows as shiny silver in contrast to the more matte space gray, but it is harder to see.

Unless of course it’s larger area where the anodized color has chipped/flaked (photo from Reddit user). But even then it would maybe look worse on black?

7609182e27107d6bf7be0fe3d2de104b.jpg

I for one living and working across the tropics and sub tropics always try to avoid these soft touch finishes, as they invariably fail within 36-48 months due to the high humidity. They generally become sticky, if not gooey messes and very far from being anything remotely soft to the touch :p

Soft touch finishes, particularly black, tend not to do so well here either. At least not in car interiors. The sun tends to cook them and the get gooey, blister, peel, etc. My wife had a car that used it liberally and it all ended up looking like crap after a few years.

The problem with photos that people post of surface damage to laptops though, is that everyone who posts one always babies their machines, or so they claim. But you really never know what they might have done to cause the damage :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mendota and Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have PopOS running on my second drive now. I've started tweaking and getting into some of the settings. Its been a while since I ran linux natively (I use oracle VMs for updates on PeopleSoft). I'm using dash to dock and that improves the dock quite a bit and its mostly visible now and easily accessible.

I installed virtualbox and a copy of windows, I'm seeing if that will meet my needs for remote access into my work computer. Sadly, GoToMyPC no longer provides Linux support and my company only permits GoToMyPC.

pzo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Looks like the X1 Extreme 2nd generation was released - 9th generation processors and GTX1650 as expected. No other differences I can tell.

There are actually more differences:
1) 9th intel cpu
2) GTX 1650
3) Wifi 6 (802.11ax)
4) motherboard support up to 4TB SSD instead of 2TB
5) all models have now ShutterThink on camera so don't have to choose between privacy or IR Cam
6) dolby atmos speakers
7) additional options for FHD w/ HDR and 500 nits screen or 4K OLED multitouch screen
8) 4K OLED multitouch seems to be lighter and thinner than previous 4K IPS (1.7kg vs 1.8kg)
[doublepost=1557921262][/doublepost]Wondering if I should wait for gen2 or get gen1 instead. I'm not in the USA but my sis can bring it one to me end of june when she will come to europe (unfortunately gen 2 won't be available until that time :( )
  • 1) anyone know what kind of improvements we can expect from e.g. i7-9750H over i7-8750H?
  • 2) do you know if it should be possible to later update wifi m.2 card in gen 1 to support wifi 6 (802.11ax)?
  • 3) does gen 1 allow manually upgrading FHD screen to 4K?
  • 4) Are both m.2 slots NVMe in gen1? or one is SATA?
  • 5) does gen1 have hardware raid controller or have to use soft raid?
  • 6) Based on history: Is new gen 2 base models expected to be more expensive than current prices? media mentions starting price of $1500 so should be cheaper than current starting prices $1650?
  • 7) Based on history:Is lenovo running some inventory sales before launching new laptop generations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.