Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I have a 5K display from the original batch. I've been using it with a Mac Pro (not at full 5K, with a thunderbolt 2->3 adapter) since I got it with no problems.

I now have a new Macbook Pro and I have to plug and unplug it for about 10 minutes every time I want to connect to it. Most times plugging it in causes my mac to freeze until I unplug it. Sometimes the laptop screen goes black but then comes back and the display doesn't come on. Sometimes nothing happens. ... and eventually it works.

Is this just my life now? :(

So many bugs with this monitor that I returned mine.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
PSA: You can use OPTICAL Thunderbolt 1/2 cables with Apple adapters on each end!

I just tried my 10 metre Corning optical Thunderbolt TB1/2 cable, in between two of those bidirectional Apple TB3-TB1/2 adapters, from my 15" 2016 MBP to LG 5K display; one on each end.
It works absolutely fine at 5K (no drop to 4K or anything) – instantly, and without glitches! Which is a useful functionality to have.

No charging or any power to the 15" 2016 MBP obviously, given the cable is optical and has no copper inside for carrying power to charge, like the 2m active cables supplied with the display.

Unfortunately, I haven't got any TB3 storage device (or anything else for that matter) to try, so I'd love to know if the same connection would allow full TB3 speeds or just TB2 speeds over this type of optical TB1/2 cable connection? At a guess, I'd presume it'd only allow TB2's at a maximum, as the connection type is still TB2's 20Gbit maximum through the Mini-DP style connections on the cable.
I'd also think you'd need a storage device capable of going above 20Gbit speeds (~2.5 GBytes/sec ?) to max-out the connection, to know the true answer.

...just an interesting technical aside, in case anyone wondered. ;-)

Last edited:

caseyfff

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2018
PSA: You can use OPTICAL Thunderbolt 1/2 cables with Apple adapters on each end!

WHOA I happened to have 2 adapters and I just tried this and my display came on on the first try which it has never done, ever, with a TB 3 cable.

edit: I tested some more and it works every time!

edit: it even works through my TB 3 dock now, which it never did before.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimthing

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL

I just tried my 10 metre Corning optical Thunderbolt TB1/2 cable, in between two of those bidirectional Apple TB3-TB1/2 adapters, from my 15" 2016 MBP to LG 5K display; one on each end.
It works absolutely fine at 5K (no drop to 4K or anything) – instantly, and without glitches! Which is a useful functionality to have.

Thank you for this. I tried using a single TB2/TB3 adapter on the back of the monitor into my Macbook Pro 2015 and worked just fine, but I was wondering whether it could do 5K over the same wire, so you just cleared this up.

Reactions: jimthing

Evangeline

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2014
Thank you for this. I tried using a single TB2/TB3 adapter on the back of the monitor into my Macbook Pro 2015 and worked just fine, but I was wondering whether it could do 5K over the same wire, so you just cleared this up.

I don't think you'd be able to do 5K on a Macbook Pro 2015.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't think you'd be able to do 5K on a Macbook Pro 2015.

I wasn't commenting on doing 5K on the Mac itself, but if the TB2 cable was capable of carrying 5K. Since I have both a 2015 and 2016, I don't need to swap out the entire TB2 cable for a TB3 cable, just remove the dongle at one end to connect to both.

ChuckinCharlie

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2016
I am running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E150g) and I'm using my LG UltraFine 5k speakers and they start distorting after playing sound for a period of time and eventually stop playing sound all together. I'm assuming the issue is with the display but is anyone else experiencing this problem? The problem goes away for a period of time after the Mac is shutdown or in sleep mode.

jack1984

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
I am running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E150g) and I'm using my LG UltraFine 5k speakers and they start distorting after playing sound for a period of time and eventually stop playing sound all together. I'm assuming the issue is with the display but is anyone else experiencing this problem? The problem goes away for a period of time after the Mac is shutdown or in sleep mode.
Are you updated to the latest LG Screen Manager monitor firmware?

jack1984

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
I didn't realize I needed it but I just installed it and it's up to date. Thanks a lot for the advice!
What is the firmware version? Should be 3.04, 1.13, 5237. 3.04, 0.1e. Some people (me included) were having issues with the monitor not seeing the update and were running on outdated firmware. Not that this would fix your issue, but it's good to rule out that the problem isn't caused by it.

FWIW I'm not running the BETA, and have not had any audio issues with my set, and use the built-in speakers most of the time.

Did these audio issues crop up only after the BETA was installed?

ChuckinCharlie

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2016
What is the firmware version? Should be 3.04, 1.13, 5237. 3.04, 0.1e. Some people (me included) were having issues with the monitor not seeing the update and were running on outdated firmware. Not that this would fix your issue, but it's good to rule out that the problem isn't caused by it.

FWIW I'm not running the BETA, and have not had any audio issues with my set, and use the built-in speakers most of the time.

That is the version I'm running. I'm basically always on a Beta on this computer. The Monitor is also a refurb so I suspect that it's the monitor but wanted to make sure I had crossed my "t"'s (to the extent you can) before talking to where I bought it.

karataev

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017

After updating to the latest Beta my monitor started experiencing these sound issues, but at least the laptop wakes up consistently.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Beta is what beta does. ;-)

...hence why they're called beta.

Check if fixed once full versions are released, as they're the important ones users end-up actually using.
(caveat being that LG actually bother to update sw on their end too, of course!)

ChuckinCharlie

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2016
After updating to the latest Beta my monitor started experiencing these sound issues, but at least the laptop wakes up consistently.

About 24 hours ago I downloaded the version of High Sierra from the App Store, reinstalled it and turned off developer betas and the sound issues seem to be gone.

diotav

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2005
Same here. I'm going to clean install my machine on 10.13.3. If the problem still occurs whenever 10.13.4 gets released I'm seriously considering ditching my 5K. I love the setup, but it can't even finish syncing my stuff to the cloud as the "sleep wake failure" crashes the machine during.

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I have problems only when i am copying large files or skyping over the threaded ethernet connected to the display. No crashes when I am on wireless or have the ethernet cable connected to the USBC port on the other side (using startech dongle) of the macbook (2007 15')

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I've been out of the loop because my LG 5K has been working really well for the most part.

I'm on macOS 10.12.6, monitor firmware 3.04, LGSM 2.06. I'm planning to update to High Sierra soon, should I be updating LG firmware and software?

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
There is now a 2.09 version of the app, but no new firmware. If you start the app an check for updates you should see the new version pop up.
"should I be updating LG firmware and software?"

Doesn't make any difference AFAICT if there's no display firmware to go with it...?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Doesn't make any difference AFAICT if there's no display firmware to go with it...?
I went ahead and applied the software update in hopes it would then lead to a firmware update... but no joy. I guess if one used the other features of the LF app, it might be worth the update for whatever bug fixes there might be, but yeah, otherwise there is not much point.

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I also are not using the LG app. I have other way of organising windows and it takes a lot of memory for nothing.

andrew5494

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2015
Toronto / The 6
Hi Ive been noticing multiple times that when I wake up my display, the wallpaper has automatically changed to solid black! Anyone else have this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.