Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
My issues with LG 5K screen (usb connectivity and webcam connection lost while skyping) are gone in 10.13.4

Last edited:
Reactions: scott_donald

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
I have one of the first batch to be manufactured (mfg date is December 2016). I just installed a router near this and the reports of shielding issues are spot on. The monitor would go black and refuse to show video again, and my router wireless signal dropped tremendously.

I just called LG support to request a repair and they said they will do a "one-time courtesy service" at no charge. But I need to send them a copy of my original purchase receipt. Just did that and waiting to hear back. My fingers are crossed that they still cover the repair even though it is out of warranty.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have one of the first batch to be manufactured (mfg date is December 2016). I just installed a router near this and the reports of shielding issues are spot on. The monitor would go black and refuse to show video again, and my router wireless signal dropped tremendously.

I just called LG support to request a repair and they said they will do a "one-time courtesy service" at no charge. But I need to send them a copy of my original purchase receipt. Just did that and waiting to hear back. My fingers are crossed that they still cover the repair even though it is out of warranty.

Can't even fathom how such an expensive monitor has only a 1-year warranty. Glad they'll take care of it either way. My wife has a launch model, but thankfully no wifi router nearby...

strangeengine

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2017
I have a launch model, too, and they wanted me to ship the monitor back to them for shielding install. Umm, no. I work for a living.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Can't even fathom how such an expensive monitor has only a 1-year warranty. Glad they'll take care of it either way. My wife has a launch model, but thankfully no wifi router nearby...

I love LG, but this is ridiculous... I purchased the 5K for my MBP... The very next day it went out on me... Took it back. They wanted to give me another one, I said no thanks.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Well you got unlucky on that. It's a great screen - I'd have gotten a replacement.

Wasn't gonna chance getting another broken one... Waste of my precious time... I have the all new LG 5K 34" on order from B&H... We'll see the issues that one has...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Wasn't gonna chance getting another broken one... Waste of my precious time... I have the all new LG 5K 34" on order from B&H... We'll see the issues that one has...

Your logic makes little sense to me. :) Most of us have been very happy with the 27" LG 5K. You just got unlucky. You shouldn't let that put you off a replacement.

Reactions: jimthing

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Your logic makes little sense to me. :) Most of us have been very happy with the 27" LG 5K. You just got unlucky. You shouldn't let that put you off a replacement.

Makes perfect sense silly... why settle for a 27” 5K when you can get a 34” 5K? I’ll wait in hopes that I don’t have to return it the very next day broken ‍♂️

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Makes perfect sense silly... why settle for a 27” 5K when you can get a 34” 5K? I’ll wait in hopes that I don’t have to return it the very next day broken ‍♂️

Ha! That was my reaction too. I suddenly realized, I can haz even moar screen space! Now I need to come up with excuses to upgrade my 27" 5K. :D

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Ha! That was my reaction too. I suddenly realized, I can haz even moar screen space! Now I need to come up with excuses to upgrade my 27" 5K. :D

No excuse needed, just pull the trigger... you only live once

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
No excuse needed, just pull the trigger... you only live once

True, but if I do that, I'll be living in a growing pile of idle electronics. I really need to get around to selling off some of my old junk before my wife resorts to taking a sledgehammer to them. It's amazing how fast stuff piles up.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

The 34" is more like 4.5K, not true 5K. The two monitors aren't in anyway comparable considering the 27" is targeted towards sharpness and the other is towards screen real estate.

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
The 34" is more like 4.5K, not true 5K. The two monitors aren't in anyway comparable considering the 27" is targeted towards sharpness and the other is towards screen real estate.

Agree, it is the sharpness I want, I would love two 5k for the increased working area but one 5k and the 151 MacBook Pro screen for minor windows like iTunes calendar etc is a good combo.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Because that 34" is NOTICEABLY less PPI, considering you'll sit at approximately the same distance from it as you would the 27"?

11 million pixels (5120 x 2160) on a larger display vs nearly 15 million pixels (5120 x 2880) on the smaller display. The only thing you're paying for is larger. The decrease in visible sharpness on the 34" will be very easy to see.

That said, if large is the goal - then there you go, - 34".

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Because that 34" is NOTICEABLY less PPI, considering you'll sit at approximately the same distance from it as you would the 27"?

11 million pixels (5120 x 2160) on a larger display vs nearly 15 million pixels (5120 x 2880) on the smaller display. The only thing you're paying for is larger. The decrease in visible sharpness on the 34" will be very easy to see.

That said, if large is the goal - then there you, - 34".

27" monitors are just too tall and narrow... As a secondary monitor they're great... But I like having three pages open wide on these ultrawide babies... But I am a huge fan of PPI... Big fan. Maybe I'll get that 34" 5K and a 27" 5K... hmmm.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
This is NOT a retina level display, as others have said, not even close, that's why. It's a chalk and cheese comparison. The PPI is only around 160, compared to the LG UltraFine 5K's 218, accordingly.

But as you've said, you want screen realty, apparently. Although two UltraFine's do that better, provided you're not anal about having a divide between the screens.

We'll have to wait for ultrawide's that actually offer the DPI of the UltraFine.

awilliamsny

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2017
Hi folks, appreciation in advance for patience with me. There's a lot to read here in this thread and the big "owners" thread (I have read a lot)... I'm still unsure what the status is. It seems that there are as many "this display is making me want to go crazy" posts as there are "I love this display" posts or "it's working great for me" posts.

- are there still bugs issues with this display?
- does it work well with either 13" or 15" MacBook Pro?

jack1984

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
Hi folks, appreciation in advance for patience with me. There's a lot to read here in this thread and the big "owners" thread (I have read a lot)... I'm still unsure what the status is. It seems that there are as many "this display is making me want to go crazy" posts as there are "I love this display" posts or "it's working great for me" posts.

- does it work well with either 13" or 15" MacBook Pro?
- With the latest Monitor firmware update as well as the latest macOS update, performance has been great. The light sensor still isn't supported though, and I have my doubts that it ever will be. For me at least, it's easy to find and remember ideal brightness levels and just adjust when needed.

- I'm using it with the 2017 13" MBP w/TB and have enabled reduce motion in accessibility because there is some minor sluggishness/frame drops from time to time when switching between Desktop screens. I imagine the 15" would have no problems with its dedicated GPU.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

I think the biggest remaining issue with the display are the image retention issues. Anything on a light colored background temporarily burns into your screen so you continue to see whatever it was on your screen for up to 10 minutes. Most of the time it's pretty subtle, but if you have the right colored backgrounds, it can be distracting.

I mostly don't notice it. When I do, it's annoying, but not a deal breaker for me. It's most noticeable if you switch from a very light colored background to a very dark one. My programming environments use dark mode, but my browser environment is bright so when I back to pounding away at code, I still see translucent copies of the page I was reviewing as a 10% transparency mask peeking out from my code editor.

If you don't switch between light and dark backgrounds, it's not that noticeable.

jack1984

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
I think the biggest remaining issue with the display are the image retention issues. Anything on a light colored background temporarily burns into your screen so you continue to see whatever it was on your screen for up to 10 minutes. Most of the time it's pretty subtle, but if you have the right colored backgrounds, it can be distracting.

I mostly don't notice it. When I do, it's annoying, but not a deal breaker for me. It's most noticeable if you switch from a very light colored background to a very dark one. My programming environments use dark mode, but my browser environment is bright so when I back to pounding away at code, I still see translucent copies of the page I was reviewing as a 10% transparency mask peeking out from my code editor.

If you don't switch between light and dark backgrounds, it's not that noticeable.

Panel lottery it seems. Image retention would be a deal breaker for me, personally.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
This is NOT a retina level display, as others have said, not even close, that's why. It's a chalk and cheese comparison. The PPI is only around 160, compared to the LG UltraFine 5K's 218, accordingly.

But as you've said, you want screen realty, apparently. Although two UltraFine's do that better, provided you're not anal about having a divide between the screens.

We'll have to wait for ultrawide's that actually offer the DPI of the UltraFine.

After seeing that B&H is pushing out the 34" 5K monitor out until "Late August", I've cancelled my order... I'm now leaning towards to LG 5K 27"... But like you mentioned, I can't stand that bezel in the middle... I'll give it a try and see what I think... But I love high PPI after owning all these Apple products... This LG 38" has great color accuracy, but the pixels just aren't there...

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
After seeing that B&H is pushing out the 34" 5K monitor out until "Late August", I've cancelled my order... I'm now leaning towards to LG 5K 27"... But like you mentioned, I can't stand that bezel in the middle... I'll give it a try and see what I think... But I love high PPI after owning all these Apple products... This LG 38" has great color accuracy, but the pixels just aren't there...
Sure thing. By "bezel in the middle" I meant the bezel between two LG 5K's side-by-side, as opposed to one big ultra-wide. But yeah, sorry for the delay of you were after one of the latter ones. :-/

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Sure thing. By "bezel in the middle" I meant the bezel between two LG 5K's side-by-side, as opposed to one big ultra-wide. But yeah, sorry for the delay of you were after one of the latter ones. :-/

Yes, the bezel in the middle with two side by side is horrendous... I wish it was two 5K 27" side by side with no bezel in between ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.