Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012
Im a little behind but what is sim actually and what are the benefits over regular sim? I have Verizon right now with a XR

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Im a little behind but what is sim actually and what are the benefits over regular sim? I have Verizon right now with a XR

On the iPhone XR, XS, 11, and 11 Pro (and some iPads), eSIM is an embedded SIM inside the phone that can be reprogrammed at-will. This allows you to run two carriers simultaneously (voice calls can work from both, you pick which is supplying data), much like the days when some phones allowed two physical SIM cards.

As not all carriers support eSIM, you sometimes have to move another to eSIM through your carrier to leave the physical SIM slot free.

I went to Canada last October and had my main line running on AT&T on eSIM and a physical SIM with T-Mobile to roam on Rogers or Telus, depending on which picked up signal better.

I've since moved services around, trying Visible for a bit, and now I'm running a physical SIM on my main line and have been playing with Airalo on eSIM (currently uses T-Mobile and Verizon in the US) with the intent of it filling in AT&T's gaps when I travel for a really low price.

Although carrier support is hit-or-miss (everyone seems to handle it differently), the other idea is that you can buy eSIMs through an app or web site while on Wi-Fi and immediately have working service. T-Mobile has something like this (their eSIM app in the App Store) for prepaid customers and it would be nice to see others follow suit—I just wish they'd add their new $15/month plan as that would be perfect for a second voice line.

The other nice thing is that the iPhones can hold multiple eSIM profiles, allowing you to switch between them. This can be good for overseas travel or if you keep a work number on an eSIM and don't need it while on vacation, but want to use a different data one.

Last edited:

filbert42

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2014
Worcestershire, UK
The other nice thing is that the iPhones can hold multiple eSIM profiles, allowing you to switch between them. This can be good for overseas travel or if you keep a work number on an eSIM and don't need it while on vacation, but want to use a different data one.

Interesting, I didn't realise that. I did some digging and found that it is only for iPhone X and newer, that's OK for me as I have an Xs. I also gather that it might only apply to data plans - is this correct?

I also found this link on how to use on an iPhone: Using Dual SIM with an eSIM

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Interesting, I didn't realise that. I did some digging and found that it is only for iPhone X and newer, that's OK for me as I have an Xs. I also gather that it might only apply to data plans - is this correct?

I also found this link on how to use on an iPhone: Using Dual SIM with an eSIM

Yeah, it's for the XR/XS and newer, the original X doesn't support it. The write-up you linked from Apple is a really good place to start.

You can use voice plans, too (personal line on physical SIM, work line on eSIM or vice-versa). There's a restriction that only one of the two can be CDMA (GSM or LTE-only is fine), but that's going to be moot in the US soon anyway (Verizon is shutting down their old CDMA network later this year, Sprint's will eventually be dismantled).

The easiest application right now has been data-only travel lines just because the carriers are a bit slow to support eSIM across the board for their own services. If you have two lines with voice, the Phone app will prompt you for which one when placing a call, and any incoming calls will show which line it's on.

Reactions: filbert42

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012
On the iPhone XR, XS, 11, and 11 Pro (and some iPads), eSIM is an embedded SIM inside the phone that can be reprogrammed at-will. This allows you to run two carriers simultaneously (voice calls can work from both, you pick which is supplying data), much like the days when some phones allowed two physical SIM cards.

As not all carriers support eSIM, you sometimes have to move another to eSIM through your carrier to leave the physical SIM slot free.

I went to Canada last October and had my main line running on AT&T on eSIM and a physical SIM with T-Mobile to roam on Rogers or Telus, depending on which picked up signal better.

I've since moved services around, trying Visible for a bit, and now I'm running a physical SIM on my main line and have been playing with Airalo on eSIM (currently uses T-Mobile and Verizon in the US) with the intent of it filling in AT&T's gaps when I travel for a really low price.

Although carrier support is hit-or-miss (everyone seems to handle it differently), the other idea is that you can buy eSIMs through an app or web site while on Wi-Fi and immediately have working service. T-Mobile has something like this (their eSIM app in the App Store) for prepaid customers and it would be nice to see others follow suit—I just wish they'd add their new $15/month plan as that would be perfect for a second voice line.

Wow nice! So is the esim already embedded in our phone? How do we set it up and do we need another sim?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Wow nice! So is the esim already embedded in our phone? How do we set it up and do we need another sim?

Yeah, in a perfect world, you could start service on any carrier without having to visit a store or wait for anything to ship. To use a different carrier on eSIM, your phone must be unlocked (just like if you were using a different physical SIM). Right now, eSIM support from carriers in the US is spotty (not sure about other places), but it's usually done by scanning a QR code into Settings > Cellular > Add Cellular Plan or using an app to provision it. The way Apple has set things up, you can have multiple eSIM profiles stored, with one active at a time.

If your main line is on the eSIM, you won't need another SIM (so you could leave the slot free for travel or other things).

The services that offer eSIM setup through an app are typically geared for international travel with data-only SIMs (Truphone, GigSky, Airalo—although I'm using Airalo right now), but T-Mobile does let you sign up for service right inside their eSIM app (enter your email, service address, pick a plan, and pay). Verizon and AT&T can migrate many accounts to an eSIM, but there isn't an automated customer-facing process to do it right now (AT&T can update the EID from your phone on some accounts or can use a single-use QR code card; last I checked, Verizon does it through a QR code emailed to you).

Apple's document on the subject linked a few posts up is a really good start and covers many scenarios: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
That sounded great, until carriers like AT&T locking eSIMs. So imagine if the phone has no SIM slot at all, you just suddenly have a locked phone out of the blue. How’s that good for consumers? Just like the old CDMA phones, no physical SIM, all carrier controlled. But I guess that’s what people wanted.

eSIM can only work if Apple literally put themselves as the middle man, so carriers cannot just lock the eSIM willy nilly. But we know that’s impossible.

"locking esim" is the same as any phone that is locked to a carrier so that is not a unique thing to esim. a carrier doesn't lock esim, it just locks the device from accepting other carrier sims, physical or e.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
"locking esim" is the same as any phone that is locked to a carrier so that is not a unique thing to esim. a carrier doesn't lock esim, it just locks the device from accepting other carrier sims, physical or e.
If only.

Verizon iPad has eSIM locked to Verizon and physical Nano SIM slot unlocked (although carrier visibility on Nani SIM is limited to Verizon).

I don't have an AT&T iPad with eSIM but 2017 Pro with Apple Embedded SIM behaves similarly to Verizon iPad except locked to AT&T.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
three UK also now support eSIM and o2 activated earlier this year. The main post needs updating to include all 4 main carriers in the UK:

EE (New and Existing contract/postpay customers - not PAYG/prepay)
O2 (New and Existing contract/postpay customers - not PAYG/prepay)
Vodafone (new customers only I heard?)
Three (soft launch - pack from some stores only?)

Reactions: KaPOWitsCHRIS

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
three UK also now support eSIM and o2 activated earlier this year. The main post needs updating to include all 4 main carriers in the UK:

Yea, Three is upgrades and new contracts, in store only, and currently only these stores:
The following stores are part of an eSIM soft launch. You can get an eSIM for your device if you're an existing or new customer on a Pay Monthly contract with Three.

• Accrington
• Ashton Under Lyne
• Blackburn
• Blackpool
• Bolton
• Burnley
• Bury
• Halifax SC
• Huddersfield
• Preston
• Rochdale Exchange
• Southport
• St Helens
• Wigan SC

Please note smartwatch devices are not supported at this stage.

(Source: https://www.three.co.uk/support/sim-support/esim)

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
How does this affect 12s on the Sprint network since it is still Sprint but kinda sorta Tmobile too? I've never had a sim card that I know of.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
I use TruPhone eSIM for data only. My primary line doesn’t have tethering, which I need sometimes on my laptop. I buy 1GB ($5) whenever I need some data and there’s no fee or anything. Just buy some data whenever.

Do any of the major carriers have a la cart data that doesn’t come with fees if I don’t carry data every single month?

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
So much useful information in this thread but the main post is not being updated because the OP is suspended. Is it possible for a mod transfer ownership of the original post ?

Reactions: NYCValkyrie

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
So much useful information in this thread but the main post is not being updated because the OP is suspended. Is it possible for a mod transfer ownership of the original post ?

Looks like the OP requested to turn it into a Wiki so that anyone could update it but the mods never turned that option on. Perhaps one will read it here and update it.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I would like to update that T Mobile has eSIM and it starts at $40/month. 10GB. You can use 5G (if available)

T-Mobile's prepaid eSIM can be changed to any current prepaid plan after the first month (as low as the 2GB/no text/no talk Mobile Internet option for $10 or the 2GB/unlimited text/unlimited talk Connect plan for $15). You'd activate with the number they assign you, but can port over it through the account management site.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
T-Mobile's prepaid eSIM can be changed to any current prepaid plan after the first month (as low as the 2GB/no text/no talk Mobile Internet option for $10 or the 2GB/unlimited text/unlimited talk Connect plan for $15). You'd activate with the number they assign you, but can port over it through the account management site.

whoa. Did not know this! Thank you!

alloja

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2019
Belgium
In Belgium, Orange has started supporting eSIM since the beginning of the year. Proximus -the historical operator- has started since last week.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London

Vodafone is for new and existing customers

Reactions: magicMac

costellomusic

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Vodafone UK you can activate an eSim on your online account, it also sends the QR code via email so you don’t have to wait for a physical card.

They won’t provision you one automatically, but if you ask for it with an agent they will be able to process it for you. Or just log in and do it online, really simple. ☺️

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
Vodafone UK you can activate an eSim on your online account, it also sends the QR code via email so you don’t have to wait for a physical card.

They won’t provision you one automatically, but if you ask for it with an agent they will be able to process it for you. Or just log in and do it online, really simple. ☺️
Mmm, to login online, you will probably need a SIM card to receive their sms verification?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.