Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cassepipe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2020
@cassepipe i didnt notice it before, but your command to boot it is wrong. Your //yaboot should be \\yaboot like this with the comma added also:
usb1/disk@1:,\\yaboot
Give that a try.

I was tired so I mistyped, I did enter the command with \\yaboot. I have tried with and without the comma. With the comma it gives :
usb1/disk@1:3,\\yaboot: Unable to open file, Invalid device
But sometimes it just erases the screen like ctrl+L on a terminal.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@cassepipe Try boot usb2/disk@1:3,\\yaboot. If not, boot usb3/disk@1:3,\\yaboot, etc.

Failing that, try boot usb1/disk@2:3,\\yaboot, then boot usb2/disk@2:3,\\yaboot, etc.

Otherwise, boot usb1/disk@1:2,\\yaboot, boot usb2/disk@2:2,\\yaboot... You get the picture.

cassepipe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2020
@cassepipe Try boot usb2/disk@1:3,\\yaboot. If not, boot usb3/disk@1:3,\\yaboot, etc.

Failing that, try boot usb1/disk@2:3,\\yaboot, then boot usb2/disk@2:3,\\yaboot, etc.

Otherwise, boot usb1/disk@1:2,\\yaboot, boot usb2/disk@2:2,\\yaboot... You get the picture.

I did that : I either get the Not a valid image, corrupt filesystem or invalid device errror message an sometimes it erases the screen

Also is it normal that the prompt says boot: ?
Am is supposed to type boot or not ?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I did that : I either get the Not a valid image, corrupt filesystem or invalid device errror message an sometimes it erases the screen

Also is it normal that the prompt says boot: ?
Am is supposed to type boot or not ?

Typically, the OF prompt says 0:, sometimes switching to 1:, 2:, or 3:. It will say boot: when you have been launched into Yaboot.

When you want the machine to boot into a USB stick or any other medium, then yes, boot always comes first.

When it says boot:, given the first two sentences, see what happens when you type live or just press enter.

Was the stick DD'd on an OS X or Linux system?

Reactions: cassepipe

cassepipe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2020
Well it seems Yaboot is launched right away when I press ctrl+alt+O+F. I remember that was not the case when I had installed Lubuntu. I had been able to launch the probe-usb and devalias commands.
I am pretty sure about the command I had used then because I wrote it with a unerasable pen right next to the usb port cause I knew I would forget :
usb1/disk@1:,\\yaboot

The stick was DD'd with Linux mint on the command line. I also tried the Balena Etcher app since it is what had worked for the previous Lubuntu install. I also tried the Linux mint usb image writer you can access from the contextual menu but it said there wasn't enough space on the usb stick, so I got into Gparted and saw there was a partition created from another flashing, I erased all partitions and dd'd again. Still no results, either with the toshiba usb stick on any of the two sandisks.

All the commands that starts with boot end up in a Not a valid ELF image error message.
live did not do anything special but just pressing enter ... Kernel Panic hahaha !
I tried enter again, at first is does nothing, then it just boots Lubuntu (which I had been able to install as I metionned in my first post) like when start it normally.

When I try to launch open firmware I firt get to a "first stage linux bootstrap" screen and then it says second stage bootstrap and goes into yaboot with the boot: prompt. If I release the keys before I get to the yaboot prompt, it just boots normally.

Last edited:

cassepipe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2020
Ok, so I had forgot but it is Super+Alt+O+F to enter the open firmware and ctrll+alt+O+F to enter some dysfunctionnal yaboot screen apparently. It just happens that my mistake looked like the right thing hahaha.
So it does boot from the Open Firmware white screen and not from the Yaboot black screen.

Omg. It woooooooorks.
Thanks to you all and thanks again Wicknix.
(Sorry for being such a noob)

Last edited:
Reactions: wicknix and z970

cassepipe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2020
Ok, so here we have Lubuntu Remix v2 running on an Imac G5, and it has never been faster. Imma use that big heavy screen to work on my C code with vim and finally functionnal browser. It is gonna be perfect.

I wonder if I could install some light tiling window manager ... (and then his conscience told him "Stop right there ! If it ain't broken, don't ifx it")

The only issue I ran into was the wifi applet GUI not working, I would enter the wifi password and nothing would happen. Happily, you can just run nmcli dev wifi connect yourwifi password yourpassword from the terminal.

The screens flickers a little after it put itself to sleep but then it goes away.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
My PowerBook AI is still starting with no backlight, meaning I have to use the keys to bring the brightness up every boot.
All I really need to start with is Arctic Fox and email, so as you say it flies on a G4 I'm giving 12.04 a whirl ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh
Yup, after a couple of days use I can confirm that 12.04 remix works much better on a PB G4 than 16.04, so thank you very much for all the hard work :)

Hugh

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
You'll be happy to know suspend/resume works properly in 12.04 remix as well, as does the backlit keyboard. I really liked 12.04 on my PB.

Cheers

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
The core difference between 12.04 and 16.04 is init / systemd, which I believe was to blame for the suspend issues, and probably everything else that plagued 14.04 / 8 and newer.

I'm curious as to what would happen in those fronts if someone installed sysvinit-core on 16.04 or newer. Once installed, it automatically shuts off systemd and replaces it with sysvinit. Reboot, and the changes take effect...

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
You'll be happy to know suspend/resume works properly in 12.04 remix as well, as does the backlit keyboard. I really liked 12.04 on my PB.

Cheers
I have suspend on the PB after applying all the updates, but I still can't find the keyboard combo to get the keyboard backlight up :(

Hugh

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Glad it's working well for you. Sure, it's a tad older, but it super stable, lightweight, and is pretty darn zippy. After I'm done experimenting with "franken-buntu" on my powerbook, I'm probably going to toss 12.04 remix back on it.

If you haven't already, make sure to update arcticfox to the newest build, and/or the heavier but more web compliant spiderweb/interweb. Then apt-get install mozplugger and/or browser-plugin-vlc, then download greasemonkey and viewtube for fluid 360p YouTube playback.

Cheers

Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Glad it's working well for you. Sure, it's a tad older, but it super stable, lightweight, and is pretty darn zippy. After I'm done experimenting with "franken-buntu" on my powerbook, I'm probably going to toss 12.04 remix back on it.

If you haven't already, make sure to update arcticfox to the newest build, and/or the heavier but more web compliant spiderweb/interweb. Then apt-get install mozplugger and/or browser-plugin-vlc, then download greasemonkey and viewtube for fluid 360p YouTube playback.

Cheers
Will do thank you :cool:

Hugh

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
There is 1 catch. I originally "replaced" Firefox with arctic fox. Meaning i deleted the FF files and copied AF in to its directory. If you install 27.10.1 it will install in its own directory, so you may end up with 2 entries in your start menu. You can just sudo rm /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop to remove the old entry. Just an fyi. ;)

Reactions: Hughmac

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Updated 12.04 remix as well. This is my best remix to date.
New in v2:
Added missing i2c-dev for keyboard backlight on powerbooks
Added youtube-dlg (graphical front end to youtube-dl)
Added new default wallpaper, theme and icons
Added the webupd8 PPA repository for extra and updated packages
Added latest ArcticFox and InterWeb browsers and SpiderMail (thunderbird-like email/news/rss client)
Added a bunch of extra software
Added conky (created a menu item also) with custom .conkyrc
I compiled and included the latest ffmpeg, and rebuilt mplayer/mencoder (1.2.1) as well.
There's probably more, but you get the idea. ...and holy hell does it rip on my dual g5. :D o_O
Download link updated in the 1st post.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
720p Twitch streams working well in 12.04-v2. (on the dual 2ghz G5)
360p/480p totally doable on my PowerBook G4 as well.
Sorry for the phone camera. When i tried to screenshot it, the vlc video window saved as an empty black box.

720p-twitch-stream-ubu12remix.jpg

Cheers

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Gee wicknic,
just did a install of 12.04 v2 and it went really well. Rather impressed with your work!!!

a big 'thank you' from New zealand!!!
[automerge]1584599859[/automerge]
oops - install on to an iBook G4.

eastone

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
Vaasa
Hi,

I have a small problem with conky (see below)
When is launched from menu there is no any distortions. But launched from Autostart menu I'm getting this mess. Helps to reload from mentioned menu but its not so good solution.
Do you have any idea how to fix it.

Regards,
Kristoffer

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-03-20 20-56-52.png
    Screenshot from 2020-03-20 20-56-52.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 106

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Looks like more than 1 instance is running. Try this. In terminal type: killall -9 conky
to kill the 2nd instance.

Edit. You can adjust the network output also. I think I defaulted it to wlan0. Edit /etc/conky/conky.conf and change wlan0 to eth0

Or don't use either method to start it, and use menu -> run instead. Just type conky in the run box and hit enter.

Cheers

Last edited:

eastone

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
Vaasa
You can adjust the network output also. I think I defaulted it to wlan0. Edit /etc/conky/conky.conf and change wlan0 to eth0

Cheers
Hi,
I added a second CPU and network interface. There is no eth0 interface but something different and works very well :)

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-03-23 21-01-51.png
    Screenshot from 2020-03-23 21-01-51.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
Reactions: wicknix

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Has anyone had any success booting the 12.04 CD on a Pismo with G4 550MHz?
I can hear CD activity but the yaboot screen is dead so I can't input any variables for Rage 128.

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.