Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I see the issue, I think. Only use sudo when you "need" root permissions. Example would be apt-get or making changes to the underlying system itself. Most everything else can and should be done from your user account. For copying the .icewm directory to your users home directory just do it as a normal user.

You might need cp -r. I'm so use to mc doing all the work for me I've forgotten basic commands. Lol

Cheers

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
aha!!
did that ..and got a big clue:
'..cannot overwrite non-directory `/home/fred/.icewm' with directory `.icewm'"

deleted the non-directory..
..and it copied - no error messages.

So easy to forget ..bit like me forgetting the -a for ls ..and wondering where (hidden) files are??

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
For those using ubuntu12remix (or ubuntu14 / debian 8) i have built SpiderWeb 2.2.1 and InterWeb 20200220 web browsers for it. Both packaged as .deb for easy installation. Linked on 1st post just under the ubuntu12remix section. Enjoy.

Edit: They will also run on ubuntu16 and debian 10 if you can't find the links to those versions. Hint: It's in my signature. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: z970

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Yep - both spiderweb and interweb browsers are working in ubu12 on G4 PPC ibook.

going off on a tangent here, wicknix but could spiderweb be made to work on nonPPC debian??
The reason I ask is Im a fan of Slitaz linux who have a policy of very lightweight apps only.
Their default browser is Midori.
Their logo by the way is a spider.
If a lightweight app is suggested they often add it to their packages.
...can you see where Im going with this..?
..just an idea.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I did build it for ubuntu 18.04 i686 awhile back. You can try this build. Just extract it anywhere and double click the spiderweb binary to run it (or from terminal cd to spiderweb directory and run ./spiderweb). Let me know if it works. Otherwise yes, in theory it can be built for any linux distro.

Cheers

Stanley_Chiu

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2020
Hello wicknix,

I'm just registered here for saying BIG THANKS for your effort on the remix lubuntu.

This makes my iMac G4 20" reborn, I only run it with 'live' to have fully functioned fx5200 ultra, AirPort Extreme and sounds. Will plan making a dual-boot with Leopard later.

it's really appreciated !!!

IMG_5183.JPG

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Happy to hear it. If you do decide to install it let us know. There have been some browser updates since i made that, and better ways to watch youtube (in browser still) that you can only really use once the system is installed.

If you do decide to dual boot i suggest making 2 partitions, then install leopard first to the 1st partition and then install linux to the 2nd.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Updated Remix to v2. (download link updated in original post on page 1)
Updated SpiderWeb, SpiderMail and Arcticfox. Also included InterWeb.
Fixed the .desktop files for them also so they "theme" when switching gtk themes.
Added LibreOffice 6.2
Added some extra useful software.
Added pmu_battery to enable battery indicator on laptops
Added more ubuntu wallpapers and changed the default theme.
Added an adjusted (disabled by default) sources.list (sources.list.save) with instructions in said sources list for people who might want to eventually update using debian ports / fienix packages.

Cheers

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Sorry to bother you, but the new 16.04 v2 live DVD worked fine and installed on my PowerBook 1.67 AI booted with 'radeon.agpmode=-1 nosplash', but whatever parameters I try on the installation I cannot get the screen backlight to come on.
I can see the desktop is there if I shine a light through the apple on the back, but that's it :(

Leopard is working fine by the way so it's not hardware related.

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

Hugh

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Try FN key + F2 or whatever the backlight up key is. All the media keys sound/backlight are mapped to use FN with them.

Cheers
[automerge]1583536203[/automerge]
Mine does that once in a while too. Usually it boots with backlight on though.

Last edited:
Reactions: z970 and Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Try FN key + F2 or whatever the backlight up key is. All the media keys sound/backlight are mapped to use FN with them.

Cheers
Arrrggghhh, I feel such a fool !
Thank you, I'm in :)

Cheers,

Hugh

Reactions: z970 and wicknix

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
2020-03-07-015752_1920x1080_scrot.png

We have success! I was worried at first, there was a lot of seemingly gpu related crashing, but after doing updates, that stopped, and everything's been smooth. And I never had any of the OF weirdness since I swapped my drives around. Now it's time to see what it can do, so far it feels very stable.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Nice. Ubuntu is very stable compared to the unofficial debian ports sid. If you leave it alone and just use their xenial software you shouldn't have any issues. Now, if you start playing with debian ports packages things can get a little weird.

Cheers

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Well, right now I am kind of hammering VLC with about 22000 music tracks, seeing how well it can take it. Sure, it's a little locked up, but that's just how VLC is when you throw 22000 tracks at it, and it needs to scan every last one. It's maybe not the best music player, but the version for Mac OS 10.5 was able to make my eMac into a perfectly serviceable music player. I rather like the speakers on that thing, too.

See, I don't really do streaming, not unless you count locally through my home network. Instead, I have a music collection. Doing this did crash VLC in Debian Sid, so we're off to a much better start. And funny enough, even though VLC seems locked up, it still works just fine if I use the controls under the speaker applet.
[automerge]1583567038[/automerge]
2020-03-07-024021_1920x1080_scrot.png

Huh. Well, that's not right. And it's only doing it to some of them. It seems almost random which ones have, and more importantly, it's not doing that in Audacious. Go figure, I guess VLC is still a little broken.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I personally dislike vlc. I only use it as a browser plugin for youtube. Audacious for audio, mpv for video. I do however prefer vlc for my Twitch script as it starts the stream faster than mpv and mplayer.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
It's not like I like VLC for music. More that I don't really have my first choice anywhere other than Windows. I use Winamp, my playlists were made with Winamp, and my music has been managed with it since I was a kid. Problem is, Windows style Winamp-made playlists don't play nice in the ppc OSX Mac world. I got lucky I could edit my main playlist to a point where I could even play it on the eMac at all.

But it turns out Audacious has an import feature and it deals with the whole relative path business just fine, which is a relief.

I'm quite enjoying the functional experience, even if this is a little painful without Discord access. I could manage that through Leopard Webkit but there don't seem to be any minor miracles like that in ppc Linux.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Well, it turns out Spiderweb is able to do it, but only just barely. But then, Discord is kind of a massive blind spot for these old ppc Macs. For something that was first released in 2015, that is basically a website in an app, I wouldn't exactly expect much.

cassepipe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2020
I am trying to install Lubuntu 16.04 Remix on my Imac G5 (prior to ALS). I dd'ed the iso on a usb stick and tried to boot with
usb1/disk@1:\\yaboot
but yaboot says
usb1/disk@1:3,/vmlinux: Unknown or corrupt filesystem
What am I doing wrong ?

I should mention I had already successfully installed Lubuntu from this tutorial although the boot command that worked was not the one on that page the one but the one I tried this time :

My imac specs :

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'm quite enjoying the functional experience, even if this is a little painful without Discord access
Well, you're in luck then. I had compiled and included in 16.04 remix the Discord plugin for Pidgin. It only does text chat (like irc), but it works well. See this post.

@cassepipe : Hmm. Is that a known good 'bootable' usb stick? I've had issues in the past with certain usb sticks when trying to use them as boot devices. My kingston and lexar sticks booted fine, but my sandisk sticks gave me the finger with errors similar to yours.

Cheers

Reactions: repairedCheese

cassepipe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2020
Oh, I did not know there was a usb stick blacklist... Sandisk it was indeed. Imma try that Toshiba one. Is the command correct though ? I guess it is because all variants give me a "Not a valid EFL file".

I hope one day all hardware will be open source hardware.

Btw, thanks for all your dedication. I hope one day I reach your level and can help, ... but I am still learning about C right now.
I made it just passed the eight queen puzzle haha.

cassepipe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2020
The toshiba usb stick did not work either sadly. I tried variants of the yaboot boot command since I don't really understand which one is supposed to work but I either get : "Not a valid EFL image" , "Invalid device" or "Corrupt filesystem".

Should I use some options when I dd it ?

Last edited:

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Well, you're in luck then. I had compiled and included in 16.04 remix the Discord plugin for Pidgin. It only does text chat (like irc), but it works well. See this post.
Oh by the way, I got the plugin to complied, but it seems it currently has some issues breaking it, as in I couldn't see a lot of the newer servers I'd joined. It's not like Discord supports 3rd party clients at all.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK

Cheers
My PowerBook AI is still starting with no backlight, meaning I have to use the keys to bring the brightness up every boot.
All I really need to start with is Arctic Fox and email, so as you say it flies on a G4 I'm giving 12.04 a whirl ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@cassepipe i didnt notice it before, but your command to boot it is wrong. Your //yaboot should be \\yaboot like this with the comma added also:
usb1/disk@1:,\\yaboot
Give that a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.