Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Flawless install of 16.04 alongside Leopard on an iMac G5 2.0GHz ALS :)

I added cairo-dock from the package manager - however it crashes - is there a recommendation for another dock that works please?

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: wicknix

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Flawless install of 16.04 alongside Leopard on an iMac G5 2.0GHz ALS :)

I added cairo-dock from the package manager - however it crashes - is there a recommendation for another dock that works please?

Cheers :)

Hugh

I would start with docky. It's pretty popular.

Reactions: Hughmac

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I found mate, xfce, and even lxde too heavy for my g4 mini. Icewm is perfect. Needs a little configuration and customization but it's worth it. Boots to desktop using only 98mb ram.

Cheers

Reactions: Amethyst1

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I found mate, xfce, and even lxde too heavy for my g4 mini. Icewm is perfect. Needs a little configuration and customization but it's worth it. Boots to desktop using only 98mb ram.

Cheers

I agree. My preferred GUI is Openbox actually. But this is really just a system to play around with for me, and I had never tried Ubuntu MATE on PowerPC, so I did. :)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I created an IceWM theme based off of elements from 2 other themes and added an autostart script to load volume icon, network manager, desktop icons etc for Lubuntu Remix (or i suppose any other *nix as well). I prefer IceWM on my mac mini g4 as lxde/xfce etc do something that the Radeon 9200 doesn't like, and windows are laggy to drag. IceWM doesn't have this issue. It's also lighter on resources. Installation instructions are in the archive.

remix-icewm-theme.png

Cheers

Attachments

• icewm-remix-theme.zip
    174.5 KB · Views: 131

Frank Ciampa Champ

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
Maine
Hi Nice to meet you. I'm fairly new to macs but am learning quick. I'm having a problem with my g5 dual 2.0. I can't get the computer to read usb's or dvd's in open firmware. I tried your 16.04 remix step by step but it says "can't read device". It's driving me nuts. Have burned thru a dozen dvd's. Could this be an issue with the computer?? Why do I format with FAT when this is a PPC cpu?? Have tried a bunch of different things none work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Frank

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Hi. You might have the downloads confused. There are 2 of them. What you want is the .iso, then burn that to dvd. Boot by holding down the c key when you hear the power on chime. Keep holding until it boots, then release the c key.

The FAT reference is if you want to make a bootable usb stick. Most people would use this method if their dvd drive is dead, or if they only have cdrom drives. It doesn't have to be FAT formatted, just a clean card with no other info on it. The instructions to make the usb are for use on Linux. MacOS and Windows use different commands/file paths.

Cheers

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Wickmix - do like the look of that icewm setup.

Ive just installed lubuntu 12.04 remix on my G4 ibook.
Will that icewm work ok on Lubuntu 12 or is it really meant for 16?

(Could just go and try it but just getting my head around how ubuntu works... been a bit spoiled using Slitaz on an old pc.)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
IceWM will work on ubuntu12 also. The default LXDE in ubuntu12 is pretty light (as it's older) and will give you a better "desktop" feel. However if you don't mind messing with a few config files IceWM is really pretty nice. Ubuntu works the same as Debian for the most part as that's what it's derived from. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Reactions: Amethyst1

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
been trying to leave a message here using my ibook with ubuntu12 but theyve been rejected each time... so resorted to using my iMac - ha!!

Ran into some probs with icewm.. though it is working.

sudo apt install pcmanfm nm-applet volumeicon-alsa conky icewm grun
..got this to partly work with 'sudo apt-get..'

but got a file not found at nm-applet

re -
Copy the /.icewm directory to ~/.icewm
Copy .conkyrc to ~/.conkyrc

I know of cp and mv commands but they return a file not found response.
I dont know linux well enough to know wot directory I should be in to find them.

Another issue Ive been having is when using Artic Fox looking at MacRumors on every page I have to wait for a 'unresponsive script' message to appear..so I can stop it before being able to scroll down the page.

Know this is rather off topic but if someone knows a quick fix Id be thankful.

Icewm looks promising - (seems to have additional programs available) even if its looking rather plain compared to your screen shot, wicknix.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ah yeah the nm-applet was a typo on my part. It's part of network-manager-gnome, so sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome. That package includes nm-applet.
Are you familiar with midnight commander at all? It's preinstalled. Open a terminal and type mc . You'll see a 2 pane text based file manager. Navigate with arrow keys and hit enter to move into directories. The tab key jumps you from left to right pane and vise versa. Navigate to the directory you extracted the Remix theme. Highlight the .icewm directory and hit F5 (or esc + 5 if you dont have function keys, or click the lower 5copy with mouse) to copy that directory to your ~/ directory. See screenshot below:

Screenshot from 2020-02-23 23:37:40.png

Now do the same for .conkyrc. Highlight it, hit esc+5 to copy it to ~/
Now close everything and log out, then log back in. Everything should be good now.

Also if you want extra desktop icons, again use mc. In the left pane scroll down to /Desktop and hit enter. Now hit TAB to switch panes. Navigate to /usr/share/applications/ and just copy any .desktop file you want displayed on your desktop.

Screenshot from 2020-02-23 23:44:18.png

As for arcticfox that seems strange. I'm actually on Ubuntu12 right now using it without issue. Here's another browser i built for ubuntu12. Give it a shot. https://drive.google.com/file/d/132...taF3CYmLjos8aYe92rBgWLJgXOz-ACQvc361uEOhVzAvs

Also if you want ad-blocking in your browsers do this:
sudo cp /etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts to enable the adblocking hosts file.

Cheers

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
OH!!!!
Jeepers wicknix...sorry man, I must have been having a senior moment.
Forgot to look in the zip file - doh!!!! Thought it was amongst the downloaded stuff via apt-get..

midnight commander..?
gee - that sounds like something I used back in dos days....thanks for pointing out its there.

Thanks very much for your help...and apologies for my stupid question.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
No problem. I havent tested that theme on ubuntu12, so if there are other issues i should be able to walk you through them.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Another issue Ive been having is when using Artic Fox looking at MacRumors on every page I have to wait for a 'unresponsive script' message to appear..so I can stop it before being able to scroll down the page.

Know this is rather off topic but if someone knows a quick fix Id be thankful.

On my own environments (utilizing a mixture of other browsers), I've commonly seen that message disappear after installing foxPEP - and then reappear after uninstalling. For whatever reason that may be.

If doing that doesn't solve this annoyance, feel free to remove it ...

(https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/foxpep-the-firefox-partitioned-engine-patch.2209108/)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ok, so i just tested it on ubuntu12. You'll need to delete a few files inside the ~/.icewm directory once you copy it over, otherwise the menu will be missing, and logout won't work. After deleting these files and using the defaults it's fine.

Screenshot from 2020-02-24 01:18:26.png

Delete everything except the /themes directory and the startup script so it looks like the pane on the left.

Cheers
[automerge]1582529217[/automerge]

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Will you be updating the Ubuntu12 iso with icewm already installed, wicknix?
..Ive been thinking of doing a fresh download and starting over.

I had a file read issue when I went to install which seemed to be by passed when I connected to the network and tried again. Been wondering if Ive got a bad install.

When I used cp or MC I get probs... with MC it states I need permission on the .icewm but conky was copied ok...?

Z970mp - this site works fine if I use another browser...which is really odd - but I will look into the articfox issue with this site tomorrow...and report back.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Ok, so i just tested it on ubuntu12. You'll need to delete a few files inside the ~/.icewm directory once you copy it over, otherwise the menu will be missing, and logout won't work. After deleting these files and using the defaults it's fine.

View attachment 895868

Delete everything except the /themes directory and the startup script so it looks like the pane on the left.

Cheers
[automerge]1582529217[/automerge]

tried this but still get a permissions message.
Tried again at the terminal so could copy the interaction so maybe someone could spot where Im going wrong:

fred@iBook:~/Downloads/icewm-remix-theme$ ls -a
. .. .conkyrc .icewm README.txt wallpaper
fred@iBook:~/Downloads/icewm-remix-theme$ sudo cp .icewm ~/.icewm
sudo: unable to resolve host iBook
[sudo] password for fred:
cp: omitting directory `.icewm'

Im beginning to think my prob maybe in setting up a user in the installation process.
Im used to the Slitaz linux setup ie a root and a user. In ubuntu12, I set up a user - Fred who I was to make the root user. Didn't get onto setting up a normal user..
maybe thats the problem..?
[automerge]1582587424[/automerge]
Ah yeah the nm-applet was a typo on my part. It's part of network-manager-gnome, so sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome. That package includes nm-applet.
Are you familiar with midnight commander at all? It's preinstalled. Open a terminal and type mc . You'll see a 2 pane text based file manager. Navigate with arrow keys and hit enter to move into directories. The tab key jumps you from left to right pane and vise versa. Navigate to the directory you extracted the Remix theme. Highlight the .icewm directory and hit F5 (or esc + 5 if you dont have function keys, or click the lower 5copy with mouse) to copy that directory to your ~/ directory. See screenshot below:

View attachment 895863

Now do the same for .conkyrc. Highlight it, hit esc+5 to copy it to ~/
Now close everything and log out, then log back in. Everything should be good now.

Also if you want extra desktop icons, again use mc. In the left pane scroll down to /Desktop and hit enter. Now hit TAB to switch panes. Navigate to /usr/share/applications/ and just copy any .desktop file you want displayed on your desktop.

View attachment 895864

As for arcticfox that seems strange. I'm actually on Ubuntu12 right now using it without issue. Here's another browser i built for ubuntu12. Give it a shot. https://drive.google.com/file/d/132...taF3CYmLjos8aYe92rBgWLJgXOz-ACQvc361uEOhVzAvs

Also if you want ad-blocking in your browsers do this:
sudo cp /etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts to enable the adblocking hosts file.

Cheers

the ad-blocking fix. sorted it - Thanks ..so much better now!!!!

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
On my own environments (utilizing a mixture of other browsers), I've commonly seen that message disappear after installing foxPEP - and then reappear after uninstalling. For whatever reason that may be.

If doing that doesn't solve this annoyance, feel free to remove it ...

(https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/foxpep-the-firefox-partitioned-engine-patch.2209108/)

Ta - however the ad-blocking fix from wicknix sorted the prob.
Best leave your possible fix as is...who knows - it maybe just wot someone else finds to work for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.