Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman recently reported that the first Macs with M4 series chips will be released later this year, with more models to follow next year. In his Power On newsletter today, Gurman shared a more specific roadmap for these Macs.

m3-mbp-space-black.jpg

Here is the order in which Gurman expects the Macs to launch:
1. A low-end 14-inch MacBook Pro with the M4, coming around the end of 2024.
2. A 24-inch iMac with the M4, also expected around the end of the year.
3. New 14-inch and 16-inch high-end MacBook Pros with M4 Pro/Max chips, due between the end of 2024 and early 2025.
4. A Mac mini in both M4 and M4 Pro configurations, coming between the end of 2024 and early 2025.
5. New 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Airs, slated for around spring 2025.
6. A Mac Studio with a high-end M4 chip, coming around the middle of 2025.
7. A Mac Pro with an M4 Ultra chip, due in the second half of 2025.
Gurman reiterated that Apple has internally tested an M3 Ultra chip, which would be suitable for the Mac Studio and the Mac Pro, but he said it is "all but assured that at least some of Apple's high-end desktops" will skip the M3 chip series.

Gurman said that Apple will emphasize the artificial intelligence capabilities of the M4 chip series.

Article Link: M4 Macs Are Expected to Launch in This Order Starting Later This Year

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
2. A 24-inch iMac with the M4, also expected around the end of the year.
Please. 🙏

As someone who's a huge fan of iMacs and does most of my work on one, I really wanted to upgrade my aging Mac, but last year's M3 model was just so underwhelming. Could an M4 iMac actually turn out to be good? I really, really hope so!

Dolmio

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
It will be tricky for Apple to have exclusive AI features in iOS/ iPad os 18 dependent on a variant of A18/M4 required to run it considering that the iPad Pros won’t be released until May . I mean they could do for iPhone pro 16 but for the rest probably has to be software where would the neural engine makes real world as significant difference? Maybe something with on device processing vs cloud but otherwise could you really have a situation that your latest iPads aren’t able to do all the stuff in the latest version of OS 🤷‍♂️

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
Please. 🙏

As someone who's a huge fan of iMacs and does most of my work on one, I really wanted to upgrade my aging Mac, but last year's M3 model was just so underwhelming. Could an M4 iMac actually turn out to be good? I really, really hope so!
I am not using an iMac but a Mac Mini (M2 Pro) for daily needs and MBP (M1 Pro) for traveling. I am not aware what your workloads are, but my user experience is still more than enough to make me even consider a newer model.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Another MacBook Pro with a tablet process and fewer ports? 😅 Just kill the poor crippled beast already, it needs putting out of its misery... Especially now that the Pro chips have been handicapped so they're far inferior to the Max chips, they can definitely afford to stick one of those in it.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
Also, shouldn't the premium chips- Pro and Max- always be released before/at the same time as the base chips? Give the buyers of the more expensive stuff a single core advantage for a short time?
I've never understood why this matters it anyone.

If you need the scaling of the pro chips, who cares what the consumer chips are doing.

This FOMO for the consumer line just confuses me.

Last edited:

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
Really, the biggest unknown and oddity about the M4 Rumours is:

- Why are the M4 Pro/Max given the same code name?
- Why is the M4 Ultra given its own code name?

Looking at M3, the above code names make zero sense.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I hope M4 max can support 256 GB RAM. If Apple skips M3 ultra and launched M4 Ultra with 512 GB RAM, I would be tempted to get a Mac Studio, at least try for 15 days. I haven’t owned a Mac Mini or Mac Pro in 12 years.

• Wow
Reactions: Zorori

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Also, shouldn't the premium chips- Pro and Max- always be released before/at the same time as the base chips? Give the buyers of the more expensive stuff a single core advantage for a short time?
That doesnt make sense at all..

The higher end Macs are designed more for multi core enabled processes that a regular user of the lower end devices would rarely, if ever, utilise.

You don't buy a Mac Pros for superior single core performance... and in any case, for single core performance the differences are negligible between regular and pro models.

Your hand on the mouse/trackpad would be more of a bottleneck than the single core performance. 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.