Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Please. 🙏

As someone who's a huge fan of iMacs and does most of my work on one, I really wanted to upgrade my aging Mac, but last year's M3 model was just so underwhelming. Could an M4 iMac actually turn out to be good? I really, really hope so!

If you don't like the M3 iMac, not sure why you would like the M4 (which will likely be exactly the same design, just with an updated chip)

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
As a motion designer/editor, I care more about the # of performance cores, amount of ram, storage size/speeds, and the number of hardware encoders/decoders. Maybe I'll have a need for AI as it continues to evolved and have an impact on content creation.

When the M series officially doubles the amount of performance cores of the M1 Max chip, that is when I'll pull the trigger on an update so long as it doesn't break the bank. Either that or if I can find a great deal on a 16" M3 Max with at least 64GB ram and 2TB ssd.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It'll be interesting to see how this evolves.

Do the desktops mostly skip M5?

View attachment 2368360

Nice table but I doubt there are any patterns to be seen or projected from it (yet)... unless now we want to let on that supply chain/Covid were non-events. Conceptually, the implications of this and even Gurman's guesses should be a bit faster overall than the apparent story told here.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I still find it hard to believe Apple will announce M4 later this year when prior M-series chips averaged 16 months between announcements.

M1 was announced November 10, 2020
M2 was announced June 6, 2022
M3 was announced October 30, 2023

Remember "supply chain" and "covid"? Conceptually, M-series is A-series for Macs. If A-series is an annual update, M-series can update annually too. History shows that not to be the case but there's that "supply chain" excuse again.

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
Nice table but I doubt there are any patterns to be seen or projected from it (yet)... unless now we want to let on that supply chain/Covid were non-events. Conceptually, the implications of this and even Gurman's guesses should be a bit faster overall than the apparent story told here.
Yeah, we now have some data, but it is not enough to set expectations, except that: Apple doesn't always ship desktops, even if they have the chips.

When the M5 ships, we might have a clearer idea... but then Apple might move to full-on chiplets and everything goes out the window.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
Remember "supply chain" and "covid"? Conceptually, M-series is A-series for Macs. If A-series is an annual update, M-series can update annually too. History shows that not to be the case but there's that "supply chain" excuse again.
It might be slightly more accurate to say that the M*-Series is the A*X series... which ALSO tended to be released on an 18 month cycle, never annually.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This is making me think I should skip the M3 MBA I had thought I would get this coming fall and hold off for March 2025. I am thinking the performance leap from M3 to M4 will be much larger than it was for M# to M3.

Of course, you know that if you are buying that M4 MBA in the Spring, rumors will be hot & heavy for M5 as soon as the Fall.

MacFin

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I think Apple could really refine their strategy for releasing chips. Launching their most advanced chips first would greatly benefit them, pleasing professional users and setting a high-performance standard right from the start. For example, I'm considering the upcoming Mac Studio with an M3 chip, but if it launches at WWDC and is soon overshadowed by the M4 in the fall, I'll feel like I purchased outdated technology right off the bat.

The incremental upgrades between generations aren't monumental, but it's disheartening to see the Max series chips make their debut in the MacBook Pros more than six months before they reach the Studio line. This timing feels like Studio buyers are just getting the last batch of the Max chips before the next generation starts rolling out. By flipping this release order—contrary to industry predictions like those from Gurman—Apple could motivate more customers to opt for their top-tier products. I'd be thrilled if Apple introduced the M4 Max in the Mac Studio this summer instead of the M3 Max, allowing them to start releasing chips in the opposite order.

Regular users may not be as concerned about chip specifics, but those investing $3000 or more in a Mac Studio deserve to enjoy top-notch performance for more than just a few months. Honestly, it's exhausting to see Mac Studio enthusiasts consistently last in line for the latest advancements when there’s no real barrier to Apple launching them sooner.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I still think, if feasible, Apple should continue releasing the chips in reverse order (largest to smallest as they did with M3). This was the topic of a recent MaxTech video...probably their best one in a while...and it makes a lot of sense.

It makes sense financially...and it makes sense reputationally by getting the latest and greatest out in the market ASAP (the halo effect) with the smallest volume/highest margin products.

• Love
Reactions: wojtek.traczyk

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Space Gray MacBook Pro or no sale. Actual Pro, I mean, not the 8GB MacBook Air in drag.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Before I read the article, let me see how my educated guesses compare to Gurman's-

MacBook Pro
Mac Mini
Mac Studio
Mac Pro
MacBook Air

Alright, let's see how I did.

I was very close. I forgot about the iMac, and was really only off with the MBA.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
But you just buy what does the job... it doesnt matter if a cheaper product has more "modern" tech.

This seems to be a version of keeping up with the joneses.

Say you buy a Mac Pro that can process your data in 30 minutes and the Mac, at the time, can do it in 60.
Then a newer Mac comes out and can process it in 40. Your original Mac Pro is still the best tool for the job. Even if it's running on "older" SoC.

You seem to be far too concerned about a cheaper product having more "modern" tech. Rather than just focusing on what each device can do.
You're saying Apple got it wrong with M4 and they shouldn't have released it at the same time as the Pro and Max?

Like I said, I don't need a crazy fast processor for my personal use. Work provide me with a computer for that stuff... no concerns or worries to be found here. 👍🏼

Reactions: Fuzzball84

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Great. Apple will just have to wait another year for my (2) maxxed out Mac Pros money.

Until then I'll make due with my intel iMac for my Dolby Atmos mixes.

Reactions: wojtek.traczyk

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Gurman goes from the ridiculous to the sublime (?):

4. A Mac mini in both M4 and M4 Pro configurations, coming between the end of 2024 and early 2025.​
In other words, midnight December 31, 2024! 😁

1. A low-end 14-inch MacBook Pro with the M4, coming around the end of 2024.​
Not bad — “around” = +-6 months.

But this rumor is worth featuring on Rumor “News” at 11 pm.

After all, this is actually sounds like a new and different product — “a low-end 14-inch”! That’s intriguing...

Of course, it may come standard with 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, one port, and no power adapter, but upgrades, dongle hubs, and chargers will be available in $35 to $350 increments!

• Haha
Reactions: ralph_sws

Tacobear

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
Regardless of whether this rumour is true or not, Apple really need to fix its releasing schedule. Having the performance of an Ultra chip being equalled/superseded by a Max chip of the next generation 4 months later is like saying to its customers "don't buy our desktop".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.