Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I use Safari mostly but Firefox seems OK
I forgot to mention that the up and down page function often just stops working on facebook and I have to refresh the page to get it working again.
It's freaking annoying
You have an ad blocker or another add-on that's reading the page before you see it?

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
The speakers got worse? I haven't personally compared the M1 Pros and M3 Pros, but did t see any mention of that in review?

I know the Air speakers got worse from M1 to M2/M3 though, as I tested them myself...
The m1 14" has the best speakers of any of them. Youtube search for differences. If you're into using your machine like I do for media consumption there's zero reason to move on.

Reactions: ric22

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I suspect even the fans have grown a sense that more than base specs are needed.
Nope.

The staunch defenders will not admit it but I think they know.
That's a common debate tactic - put something in the mouth/head of the other person.

Base specs let Apple tout a not-too-ridiculous price vs. PC. Spec upgrades are priced so sky high by Apple, increasing them at their own pricing makes Mac seem "too expensive" relatively.
As I have repeated here often, one can go to Lenovo's or Dell's website and price out a computer on specs similar to some Mac and discover that the Lenovo or Dell may cost more in some cases.

You've been on a mission for some time, but your arguments are mostly debate tactics.

Let me suggest something else: most humans who buy computers are not caught up in specs. What matter are 1) name recognition, 2) fashion (and this goes with number 1), and 3) price, and 4) availability.

This means computers are like other goods. Often number 3 is the most important above, but for some people in certain situations 1 or 2 are more important.

People whining on computer forums about low-end Macs starting with 8GB of RAM are just a tiny minority of geeks who are looking to posture themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: madmin and Chuckeee

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I am in the same position, and am now inclined towards a pc desktop.
For a while now I have been posting here that the day of the desktop is nearly over.

I'm not surprised that Apple still offers desktop computer models, but I also will not be surprised if they fade out of that market.

Desktop Macs make up an increasingly shrinking share of Apple's revenues.

Even App developers for iPhones and iPads can get by with a MacBook Pro and an external screen if needed.

Desktop computer sales are down all over. If it was not for gaming addicts I suspect we'd see some of the current computer companies abandon desktops all together.

Legacy computing is what keeps the likes of Lenovo and Dell in business. Whiners here like to pile on about Apple not "innovating" (a silly idea) but it's not like the computer industry as a whole is coming out with new concepts in computers for business or education or the home.

As far as I can tell, the AppleTV product could be the only surviving non-mobile product that Apple makes in 10 years. Of course I can be wrong.

The M4 is just the latest annual model.

This is like what the auto companies learned over a half a century ago: just churn out yearly models to keep the sales lots looking spiffy and getting customers to walk onto the lots.

So Apple now has yearly models to get people to walk into their local Apple Store. Once in the store, Apple is counting on their retail mojo to get people to part with money.

Reactions: wbeasley and madmin

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
Weren't all EU countries the same price before? Only non-EU European countries like Switzerland were getting the even higher prices?
I’ve checked in the past and there was a difference between prices in EU countries. Possibly due to the tax. The last time I checked Italy and Germany had higher prices than France.

• Wow
Reactions: ric22 and Torty

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
How reliable is this roadmap? Is it like as usual, dates get pushed months after months?

Does that mean there will be no new Mini nor Studio until at least Fall 2024? I am not sure if it is worth to wait until June to see if new Mini or Studio with M3 series chips will be released

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I'm in the market for a new laptop. 5+ years ago, I'd only be thinking MB vs. MBair. However, per the above- especially in the aggravation of "company store" upgrades pricing, a PC laptop is now getting full consideration. I don't want to go there but I don't want to farrrrrrrrrrrr overpay for commodities like RAM & SSD either. Another way to make more Macs sell is to "throw customers more bones"... instead of seemingly focusing all on delighting shareholders. I'd like to see a better value proposition which means better pricing or MORE for existing pricing.

One of the things often missed in this comparisons is the Quality, which is get is hard to really Quantify.
If you truly compare the price of Quality PC Laptops to Macbooks the prices are not that far off.

A lot of times people are comparing Macbooks to the lowest end of the spectrum laptops from HP/Dell/Lenovo, which will always seem like a ridiculous price difference. The same way if you compared the high end laptops from those brands to their own low end, it will be ridiculous. It is the same for when people try to compare the newest iPhone to a $200 android that has more RAM.

I think a great 1 to 1 comparison in the PC market is Dell's precision line, compared to your average PC those are built well. Price wise they are for the most part similar to the Macbook Pros with both of them having their own tradeoffs.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Turned them off and the same thing happened
The last thing I can think to do is to change the web page magnification AND the system text magnification. If they're not magnified, choose to do that. Quit the browsers and restart. Then, reset the magnification to 100% only. Quit the browsers and restart.

This feels as though a beta test version of something was involved and its influence is still there. I used to remove malware without specialized software. Without actually seeing your machine, I can only guess what might be happening. Anyway, I'm out of ideas.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
The last thing I can think to do is to change the web page magnification AND the system text magnification. If they're not magnified, choose to do that. Quit the browsers and restart. Then, reset the magnification to 100% only. Quit the browsers and restart.

This feels as though a beta test version of something was involved and its influence is still there. I used to remove malware without specialized software. Without actually seeing your machine, I can only guess what might be happening. Anyway, I'm out of ideas.
The magnification is set to 100% and was never changed

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I still find it hard to believe Apple will announce M4 later this year when prior M-series chips averaged 16 months between announcements.

M1 was announced November 10, 2020
M2 was announced June 6, 2022
M3 was announced October 30, 2023
Yeah, but these are the same folks that have basically no solid info about something that’s rumored to release in a matter of weeks.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

This is like what the auto companies learned over a half a century ago: just churn out yearly models to keep the sales lots looking spiffy and getting customers to walk onto the lots.

So Apple now has yearly models to get people to walk into their local Apple Store. Once in the store, Apple is counting on their retail mojo to get people to part with money.

Mac updates used to be more frequent, not less.

For example, between 2006 and 2014, there were 15 releases of the 15-inch MacBook Pro. Between 2016 and 2024, though, there were 8 of the mid-size (first 15, then 16, then 14).

Reactions: DavidSchaub

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
For a while now I have been posting here that the day of the desktop is nearly over.

I'm not surprised that Apple still offers desktop computer models, but I also will not be surprised if they fade out of that market.

Desktop Macs make up an increasingly shrinking share of Apple's revenues.

Even App developers for iPhones and iPads can get by with a MacBook Pro and an external screen if needed.

Desktop computer sales are down all over. If it was not for gaming addicts I suspect we'd see some of the current computer companies abandon desktops all together.

Legacy computing is what keeps the likes of Lenovo and Dell in business. Whiners here like to pile on about Apple not "innovating" (a silly idea) but it's not like the computer industry as a whole is coming out with new concepts in computers for business or education or the home.

As far as I can tell, the AppleTV product could be the only surviving non-mobile product that Apple makes in 10 years. Of course I can be wrong.

I wouldn’t call any of the Apple silicon models annual marketing gimmick. I have a 64 GB M1 Max MBP, M3 is already at 128 GB. That is workstation level stuff. If Apple can get to 256 GB by M5 or wishfully M4, I would probably upgrade. I don’t usually upgrade before 5 years but the Apple silicon has changed the game. I might actually try an Apple Ultra workstation if they can get to 512 GB unified memory.
Most don’t need to upgrade laptops yearly, regular people walking in the stores aren’t typical Apple blog tech enthusiasts.

Reactions: bousozoku

Aries79

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Personally, I expect that the MacStudio and MacPro with the M4 will come before any other Mac with the M4, since it makes perfectly sense to release a desktop with the Max chip earlier than a laptop, and not one year later. Coming with a M3 Max MacStudio by this summer would be a marketing failure.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Personally, I expect that the MacStudio and MacPro with the M4 will come before any other Mac with the M4, since it makes perfectly sense to release a desktop with the Max chip earlier than a laptop, and not one year later. Coming with a M3 Max MacStudio by this summer would be a marketing failure.

Yes, that would be the right thing to do… but since laptops selling more they’ll get the new chips before their desktops.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Yeah, no. I have an M2 Ultra and an M3 Max, both loaded, and the Ultra still smokes the M3 Max.
What do you do that shows the performance difference? Not trying to troll, genuinely curious.

I was talking with someone the other day who saw absolutely non difference jumping from an M1 Max to an M3 max in Final Cut. Because he’s editing with footage accelerated by the video encoders and they’re basically the same across all M chips. It’s just the number of them that changes in different skews to going from a Max to a Max there’s no difference.

What software do you find the power of the M2 Ultra really shines?

Reactions: Chuckeee and ric22

Suzzzabelle

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2022
YES!! 27” 30” 32”… Bring it!!! I want a new BIG iMac so bad! 🙏 I’m STILL working on a late 2013 iMac. You read that right. SOS 🛟

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.