Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I remember when we had to be happy with one web page at a time, at 300 bps or 1200 bps, if we were lucky. Spyglass didn't have plug-ins. Once I got Netscape Navigator, I could have two web pages open, one on each browser.
Yep. I was running windows 3.1 and Intel I-386 IIRC. Kids these days are spoiled.

Reactions: BipedalOS

BipedalOS

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2022
I am not using an iMac but a Mac Mini (M2 Pro) for daily needs and MBP (M1 Pro) for traveling. I am not aware what your workloads are, but my user experience is still more than enough to make me even consider a newer model.
I’m on my m1MBP 16” and it’s the first time I haven’t noticed the computer getting slower “effect”. My same year Dell Precision that I spent $4k on feels slower than day 1.

My MBP 16” may get an upgrade when I see the M5 chip. By that time I may opt for 32GB instead of 16. Hopefully Apple gets their memory prices in check.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yep. I was running windows 3.1 and Intel I-386 IIRC. Kids these days are spoiled.
I had a Performa 476 running System 7.1P with an IBM 1200 bps modem that was meant for an IBM AS/400 that the technician gave me. I also used an IBM OS/2 machine at 1200 bps at work. My work machine had Windows 3.1 and only an internal network connection. I preferred to remain productive since internet access was something new and not all that useful.

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
Here in Europe - especially Italy and some other country - Apple is sadly pricing its products at a level that most people can't or don't want to buy.
My G5 PM and my 27'' iMac were expensive computers, no doubt. But, after all, not as much. Ad they were easily upgradable. Today... well, I don't really know if I will ever buy another Mac desktop. And for me this is a very sad thing.
Totally agree with the prices point. I’m in France and our prices are going up. I recently got a 14 inch MBP with the M2 Pro in it directly from Apple as I had to configure it, and with the release of M3 chips, they increased the price again by at least 100€.

I’ve been using Apple devices for decades, so switching to Windows is not an option for me and plus my work depends on Apple ecosystem, however, I definitely upgrade my devices at a much slower rate. The cost has gone up like crazy in France and apparently our prices are not as bad as some other countries in EU.

Reactions: Rokkus76

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I have this model here. No issues at all. What issues are you experiencing ?
Facebook acts up, some websites hasve loading issues, I can't log out of one website, other annoyances.
My computer was great when I bought it, OS upgrades made it worse each time

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
AI? Really? M4, M5…M10. to do exactly what? It will not take one to the Maldives, Patagonia, Nepal, Madagascar…it has in reality, not the virtual one - zero value. I, for one, could care less about this gadgetry. Good luck.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Totally agree with the prices point. I’m in France and our prices are going up. I recently got a 14 inch MBP with the M2 Pro in it directly from Apple as I had to configure it, and with the release of M3 chips, they increased the price again by at least 100€.

I’ve been using Apple devices for decades, so switching to Windows is not an option for me and plus my work depends on Apple ecosystem, however, I definitely upgrade my devices at a much slower rate. The cost has gone up like crazy in France and apparently our prices are not as bad as some other countries in EU.
Weren't all EU countries the same price before? Only non-EU European countries like Switzerland were getting the even higher prices?

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
With the speakers being worse on the newer 14” pros I wouldn’t swap my m1 with the m4 for free.
The speakers got worse? I haven't personally compared the M1 Pros and M3 Pros, but did t see any mention of that in review?

I know the Air speakers got worse from M1 to M2/M3 though, as I tested them myself...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Facebook acts up, some websites hasve loading issues, I can't log out of one website, other annoyances.
Have you used OnyX or some similar maintenance tool? I've used OnyX since the early days of Mac OS X after running the scripts myself for a while.

caioferrari

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
Try making a clean install.
100% sure your computer is capable to handle all your demands.

Need_Advice

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
Start with clearing cache and cookies of your browser first. If only websites are acting up the issue is probably not with the OS.

igrabow

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman recently reported that the first Macs with M4 series chips will be released later this year, with more models to follow next year. In his Power On newsletter today, Gurman shared a more specific roadmap for these Macs.

m3-mbp-space-black.jpg

Here is the order in which Gurman expects the Macs to launch:Gurman reiterated that Apple has internally tested an M3 Ultra chip, which would be suitable for the Mac Studio and the Mac Pro, but he said it is "all but assured that at least some of Apple's high-end desktops" will skip the M3 chip series.

Gurman said that Apple will emphasize the artificial intelligence capabilities of the M4 chip series.

Article Link: M4 Macs Are Expected to Launch in This Order Starting Later This Year
I personally find it extremely un-likely since the M3 chips aren't even 6 months old yet, I'm sure apple is prototyping, but I doubt the will release anything this year, If they do, historically speaking it would be an upgraded Mac mini with the M3 chip.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Have you used OnyX or some similar maintenance tool? I've used OnyX since the early days of Mac OS X after running the scripts myself for a while.
Yep, used it many times. Still having the issues.
Another issue I have is many times when I go to click like on a reply it isn't highlighted with my mouse over it unless I move the page up or down then go back to it

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yep, used it many times. Still having the issues.
Another issue I have is many times when I go to click like on a reply it isn't highlighted with my mouse over it unless I move the page up or down then go back to it
Without directly messing with it, I have no idea. Are all browsers experiencing the same thing or just one? I have a problem with one web site in particular where nothing happens until I refresh but it's apparently some JavaScript that isn't loaded consistently.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
M4 Mini ? Take my money !
Agreed! At the start of this year I was hoping to buy an M2 Pro-equipped Mac Mini later this spring, until I began having car issues and needed to get a new vehicle, and so I had to greatly change my financial plans. With this news, I may wait until the end of 2024 or early 2025 to get an M4 Pro-equipped Mac Mini, maybe after Anthro New England 2025 and I had filed my tax returns.

Reactions: madmin

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Without directly messing with it, I have no idea. Are all browsers experiencing the same thing or just one? I have a problem with one web site in particular where nothing happens until I refresh but it's apparently some JavaScript that isn't loaded consistently.
I use Safari mostly but Firefox seems OK
I forgot to mention that the up and down page function often just stops working on facebook and I have to refresh the page to get it working again.
It's freaking annoying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.