Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
The problem with the M2 Ultra was the release of the M3 Max a few months later which made it a no buy in most situations.
Yeah, no. I have an M2 Ultra and an M3 Max, both loaded, and the Ultra still smokes the M3 Max.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
It's not like Apple is redesigning any computer, why are they spreading out the chip releases so far apart? They should all come out at once.
Maybe they're clearing inventory? But yes, either all at once, or base chip after the others would make sense, across all devices. Why sometimes the iMac or MacMini lag behind by many months is a peculiarity.

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
With what I've been reading and watching, Apple is fed up with the baseline M chips basically pulling the rug out from the higher end chips, and want to go the other way. Plus, there is literally no way to make an M3 Ultra, since the M3 Max isn't made to be fused together.
Those are all plausible rumours yes.

We can't know for sure what Apple feels.

We don't know at all if the M3 Max design we have seen is a cut down one with Ultra Fusion (unlikely, but certainly possible).

What I think we can assume is: Apple will never risk the iPhone's schedule so the Mac will and M* class chips will never be the priority.

Reactions: Chuckeee

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Zero innovation, faster processor chip every year.
A faster processor chip that the other chip makers are still playing catch up with, years after the M1 came out. Is that what you mean by "zero innovation" 😂?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
What are you actually expecting to be different on an M4? It will be a minor spec bump just like literally every model except for the Macbook Pro Max chip machines.
From all the rumors, the idea is supposedly that the M4 will have more dedicated resources for on-device processing of some form of AI. Whether they'll deliver on either the hardware or software end remains to be seen. I, for one, would not bet against Apple here. There is a huge amount of attention on them for delivering on this. I think it's widely recognized that a 10-20% performance bump here or there isn't going to cut it, and the entire industry is falling all over itself trying to sell AI in various forms.

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
A reminder about this prediction from last year:

Apple May Not Launch Updated Mac Studio With M2 Ultra Chip Due to Similarity With Upcoming Mac Pro

"I wouldn't anticipate the introduction of a Mac Studio in the near future. The upcoming Mac Pro is very similar in functionality to the Mac Studio -- and adds the M2 Ultra chip rather than the M1 Ultra. So it wouldn't make sense for Apple to offer an M2 Ultra Mac Studio and M2 Ultra Mac Pro at the same time." – Mark Gurman

I would find it surprising if the Mac mini and Mac Studio skip the M3 generation unless the M4 debuts at WWDC. The lack of an M3/M3 Pro Mac mini at this point is odd.

caioferrari

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
From all the rumors, the idea is supposedly that the M4 will have more dedicated resources for on-device processing of some form of AI. Whether they'll deliver on either the hardware or software end remains to be seen. I, for one, would not bet against Apple here. There is a huge amount of attention on them for delivering on this. I think it's widely recognized that a 10-20% performance bump here or there isn't going to cut it, and the entire industry is falling all over itself trying to sell AI in various forms.
You're right. It's quite likely that the speed gain from the NPU will be significant. However, let's remember that M chips have had NPU cores since their launch. Tell me, what feature required these cores that made you switch from your Intel processor? To this day, I haven't seen a single person switching computers because their processor's NPU cores were too slow. This indicates that, despite being available since 2020, there haven't been companies releasing features important enough for the NPU to become a benchmark for us. Now, the rumor is that Apple will release a computer prepared for a feature it hasn't even announced yet. And that's causing all this wave of anguish in people who've just bought their computers.

Samsung, despite being less meticulous than Apple, has already released its Galaxy S24 with those AI features. Have you seen them? Honestly, Apple has to present something at least 10 times better than that for me to consider the possibility of spending my money on new hardware.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
A reminder about this prediction from last year:

Apple May Not Launch Updated Mac Studio With M2 Ultra Chip Due to Similarity With Upcoming Mac Pro

"I wouldn't anticipate the introduction of a Mac Studio in the near future. The upcoming Mac Pro is very similar in functionality to the Mac Studio -- and adds the M2 Ultra chip rather than the M1 Ultra. So it wouldn't make sense for Apple to offer an M2 Ultra Mac Studio and M2 Ultra Mac Pro at the same time." – Mark Gurman

I would find it surprising if the Mac mini and Mac Studio skip the M3 generation unless the M4 debuts at WWDC. The lack of an M3/M3 Pro Mac mini at this point is odd.
The current marketplace for Apple being mostly dependent on iPhone and services is not that rosy. So this rumored waffling with M2 to M3 to M4 is not at all helpful. You can't have rumors claiming that M4 is right around the corner when several products are M2 based still. This coupled by the lack of announcements in 2023, and now continuing into middle of 2024.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
After showing so little love to the iMac line, I wonder what makes him think it'll get the M4 chips long before the MacBook Air line that massively outsell the iMac?
I don’t think it an iMac vs MacBook Air issue, as much as a MacBook Pro vs MacBook Air issue. Apple wants to release the [more expensive, higher profit] MacBook Pro first to try grab any part of the market that is anxious for any new Apple notebook. Apple wants to avoid new MacBook Air sales eating into MacBook Pro sales.

The current iMac Has become very much a general consumer oriented product. As it result, I would guess it’s release date is driven more by trying to grab market share during the holiday Christmas season than concerns about competing with other Mac products. i’m not sure how any of the current iMacs compete with any type of notebook.

Reactions: bousozoku

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Gurman has his dart board out again.
Photographic proof:
IMG_6437.jpeg

Reactions: picpicmac

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Please. 🙏

As someone who's a huge fan of iMacs and does most of my work on one, I really wanted to upgrade my aging Mac, but last year's M3 model was just so underwhelming. Could an M4 iMac actually turn out to be good? I really, really hope so!
I'm not sure what you're expecting, but if you truly have an aging Mac, even the M1 series is faster overall.

I wouldn't expect another revolutionary change unless they change architectures again.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
You're right. It's quite likely that the speed gain from the NPU will be significant. However, let's remember that M chips have had NPU cores since their launch. Tell me, what feature required these cores that made you switch from your Intel processor? To this day, I haven't seen a single person switching computers because their processor's NPU cores were too slow. This indicates that, despite being available since 2020, there haven't been companies releasing features important enough for the NPU to become a benchmark for us. Now, the rumor is that Apple will release a computer prepared for a feature it hasn't even announced yet. And that's causing all this wave of anguish in people who've just bought their computers.
I don't know that normal consumers are experiencing "waves of anguish". That's more something you get in echo chambers like this one.

As for the rest, we're all just talking about rumors of expected hardware here. Apple has been telegraphing a lot about AI features in the OS, and it's not unreasonable to expect they'll be designing hardware that's more optimized for on-device processing. We'll just have to see what comes out at WWDC in June.

Reactions: bousozoku

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Please. 🙏

As someone who's a huge fan of iMacs and does most of my work on one, I really wanted to upgrade my aging Mac, but last year's M3 model was just so underwhelming. Could an M4 iMac actually turn out to be good? I really, really hope so!
Underwhelming how? I pretty much guarantee an M3 iMac would blow the doors off your "aging Mac" and do it without you ever hearing the fan spin up. The only area I can imagine being underwhelmed is the size of the display, if you're used to something larger.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Reacting to declining sales.

This is just the same Mark Gurman prediction with a different wrapper around it

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
This is just the same Mark Gurman prediction with a different wrapper around it

Yeah, but it’s from the perspective of a high end, Pro Tools focused audio production website. Those were the type of Mac Pro users who were over the moon about the 7.1, 28 cores and 1.5TB of memory. I’d be willing to bet the that music producers were significant proportion of fully kitted 7.1s. that Apple sold. Their reactions to the 14,8 can be summed up as stunned disbelief.

Last edited:

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Can't come soon enough. My 2018 Intel Mini is starting to bug me with all of the web browsing issues

Tacobear

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
As is, I'm now a Silicon Mac desktop + PC desktop + old MB guy... nearing the time to replace the latter... and very seriously considering doing so with a PC laptop.

A few years ago, I had ZERO PCs with the last one owned back in maybe 2003 or so. Now, I'm looking at potentially becoming a 1 Mac + 2 PCs guy.

Why is PC makers getting my "Mac" money?
  • The desktop got it because Silicon essentially killed the fantastic "bootcamp" option and ARM Windows is not full Windows. So "old fashioned bootcamp" became essential as soon as I opted to join the Silicon party.
  • The laptop to be purchased may get it by the relative value differences simply getting too far apart. I don't want to farrrrrrrr overpay for RAM & SSD vs. market rates for the same. Owning a desktop PC has reminded me that Windows is nowhere close to as bad as popularly spun by fans. And, unlike them, owning a PC means I have access to software not made for Mac, including all those games "we" want for Mac that are probably never coming. Getting reacquainted with Windows/PC, a PC laptop doesn't seem nearly so "absolutely NO!" as it might have even 5 years ago. In fact, it's just the opposite: in my considerations right now, a PC laptop is winning favor. For the same Mac price, I can either buy a LOT more PC... or I can match RAM & SSD for a desirable Mac and pay much less for a PC (WHILE retaining flexility to upgrade RAM or SSD later if needed).
I was a PC guy for a relatively short window of time after Amiga and before Mac. Apple policies have me close to becoming more PC than Apple for the first time in more than 20 years. I'd rather NOT go that way- I favor macOS over Windows- but I won't "just pay" any amount for Mac when PC can do the same jobs... as is evidenced by MOST of the world running just fine on PC/Windows.

I am in the same position, and am now inclined towards a pc desktop. AS chips are great! But when implemented directly on desktops, they offer no advantages over their laptop counterparts in terms of performance and pricing (unless one goes for Ultra, which also happens to be the most expensive and comes out later than all other chips). The design also lacks future upgradability, and any upgrade comes with a ridiculous price. These reasons make mac desktops very unattractive! I am not surprised when Apple decided not to release their individual mac sales anymore. If Apple were to drive up mac desktop sales, they need to do more than just designing desktop-specified AS chips. Let’s wait and see what Apple will announce during WWDC.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Can't come soon enough. My 2018 Intel Mini is starting to bug me with all of the web browsing issues
That's interesting. My mid-2012 MacBook Pro is still fine for much more than web browsing, and web browsing hasn't shown problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.