Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xSPRINTERx

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Leicester
Lol are you talking about the i7 iMac? Or an i7 laptop?

The desktop i7 (27") I have almost parted with my cash twice but stopped myself due to the issues people are reporting.

I don't have a desperate need for it so am going to wait until the next upgrade. The mini however is a real need.

I have a mini now, its a 1.66ghz Macmini 1,1 with 1gb of ram. Its has served me well as my HTPC but it has real issues playing HD home video.

I might just buy a C2D mini but would be really unhappy if apple upgraded it a few weeks after I get one....

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The desktop i7 (27") I have almost parted with my cash twice but stopped myself due to the issues people are reporting.

I don't have a desperate need for it so am going to wait until the next upgrade. The mini however is a real need.

I have a mini now, its a 1.66ghz Macmini 1,1 with 1gb of ram. Its has served me well as my HTPC but it has real issues playing HD home video.

I might just buy a C2D mini but would be really unhappy if apple upgraded it a few weeks after I get one....

Why don't use just get the i7 iMac instead of both the Mini and the iMac?

xSPRINTERx

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Leicester
Why don't use just get the i7 iMac instead of both the Mini and the iMac?

The imac is going upstairs in the study, will use it for editing home video (HD) & photos mainly. Macmini is going downstairs hooked up to the TV (HTPC) to show / share the content on the imac.

Oh and the Mrs agreed to me getting both as long as I decorated the living room and bedroom !!!!!!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The imac is going upstairs in the study, will use it for editing home video (HD) & photos mainly. Macmini is going downstairs hooked up to the TV (HTPC) to show / share the content on the imac.

Oh and the Mrs agreed to me getting both as long as I decorated the living room and bedroom !!!!!!

Ok, well you could buy the i7 iMac now, then wait till the Mini comes out and buy that :D It shouldn't be too far away, and at least you'll have the i7 iMac to have fun with till the time comes.

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Ok, well you could buy the i7 iMac now, then wait till the Mini comes out and buy that :D It shouldn't be too far away, and at least you'll have the i7 iMac to have fun with till the time comes.

for the average joe a mini is not a good htpc right now thus the pc at the end. when it has an hdmi port then i would say go with it. i have a origen ae htpc with 7 inch touch screen quad core watercooled sweet rig but the only thing i use it for is a htpc any other time i'd take a mac every time. upgrades and such on the mini are tuff. i have 4 terrabytes of hd space in my htpc. tuff to do in a mini and easy to fill up with blu-ray©

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
for the average joe a mini is not a good htpc right now <snip> i have 4 terrabytes of hd space in my htpc. tuff to do in a mini and easy to fill up with blu-ray©
The Mac mini is an excellent HTPC. Adding HDMI would be a convenience for some; unnecessary for most. And most of us have no need for 4TB and don't rip Blu-ray.

I don't think you're talking about the "average joe." I think you should have said – for the power user, there are other HTPC solutions.

xSPRINTERx

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Leicester

I'm going to wait for the 27" to get its next revision.

I am more excited about what apple will do with the mini, some of the PC HTPC's are looking awesome from a power / functionality point of view. I want to see what apple do with the mini to hold back the competition (if anything).

xSPRINTERx

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Leicester
for the average joe a mini is not a good htpc right now thus the pc at the end. when it has an hdmi port then i would say go with it. i have a origen ae htpc with 7 inch touch screen quad core watercooled sweet rig but the only thing i use it for is a htpc any other time i'd take a mac every time. upgrades and such on the mini are tuff. i have 4 terrabytes of hd space in my htpc. tuff to do in a mini and easy to fill up with blu-ray©

I think I understand what your saying, the PC (windows) market have some really powerful units on the market for HTPC. However storage is not an issue as I have my 1gb time capsule which has a 4 way usb hub and currently a further 2 1TB drives added to it, My current mini only has a 60gb hard drive and is close enough to be connected via network cable.

Blu-ray would be a nice addition to the mini, more processing power is a must......

thelasersailor

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
I'm also hanging on for the next update of the mac mini. I'd love to see blu ray and core i5 but I doubt we'll see either. There really is no excuse for not including an HDMI output though.

Please apple just make the Mini the fantastic product it could so easily be!!

speedwaygirl

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
With all that I keep reading about computer based Blu Ray and problems people have with them (underpowered, stuttering, firmware issues, etc)......I'm perfectly happy with a set top Blu Ray player/PS3 AND a separate HTPC.

I've been on the fence about a Mac Mini since the fall when we bought our 46" Plasma. I'm waiting to see what the 2010 updates are before buying. With two Mac laptops and two older Dell PC's in the house (and only two people), I'm just biding my time until I find the right fit. I'd like a larger, faster hard drive most of all in the Mini. Would prefer to go Mac over PC, so I'm hoping Apple hits a home run with the new mini.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Core i5, I wish. Others have said a minor speed bump is most likely, and I agree. But if they're going to redesign the mini, I think a new server model with an AMD chip is far more likely than an i5 or even an i3. Take that Intel and your silly feud with NVidia!

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
Yeah it would be fun to see AMD in the Mac mini, since dual GPUs won't happen. More likely this year we'll only see a very minor bump using the Core 2 Duo.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
Core i5, I wish. Others have said a minor speed bump is most likely, and I agree. But if they're going to redesign the mini, I think a new server model with an AMD chip is far more likely than an i5 or even an i3. Take that Intel and your silly feud with NVidia!

i just bought a mini because i'm highly convinced that it would not get any better proco this year

just look at the recent update of the MBP 13

it still has a core2duo proco

apple never gave the proper attention to the mini, especially considering that it is the less profitable machine for them

if you expect a core i5 in a mini, you should agree then to pay $100 or $200 more to what it already costs

SDRacerR1

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Since Steve has been replying relatively frequently to peoples emails I sent him one today for "ghits and siggles". See if he responds...

Mr. Steve Jobs,

Was wondering what your intentions/expectations for the Mac Mini are in the near future. Although not a "flagship" product, I think Apple is missing out on an huge opportunity to corner the HTPC market. Sure the Zino and other products are setting themselves up to try and take this over, but seems like Apple hasn't been thinking about was an amazing machine the Mini could be, and how it can also "revolutionize" an industry.

Apollo33

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
I think Apple should finally kick hdd to the curb and migrate the mini to SSD. I know some people will be put off by the smaller storage, but in the end consumers will be better off

And, really, what good would that do? Many people use their Mini as a set-top box or server. A SSD wouldn't really be good for either of those. It's not cost-effective to store data on an SSD.

I've never really had any buffering issues reading video files off of my harddrive unless they were WMVs or something, but that's more to do with the codec than the speed of the harddrive. People need to get off of the mindset that SSD is better for everything. Yes, it would be nice to store the OS and frequently used applications on it, but otherwise there'd be no great difference. Yes, you can read/write stuff faster, but have you considered when that would actually be useful or noticeable?

I think it'd be a good idea to have some sort of Flash memory to store the OS on. I mean, if they can fit 32GB on a small chip that fits in an iPod... certainly they could manage something for the MacMini. However, it seems as if they should do that on everything, really. I seem to recall Intel and Microsoft promoting such things a while back, but nothing much came from it.

I'm hoping for a Blu-ray drive, and I don't really see myself getting a Mac Mini until it's an option.

speedwaygirl

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
I'm hoping for a Blu-ray drive, and I don't really see myself getting a Mac Mini until it's an option.

I just don't see Apple embracing Blu Ray. It goes against their marketing plan of downloading all your HD content. I'd love to have it, but don't see it. Hope I'm proven wrong!!!

Apollo33

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
I just don't see Apple embracing Blu Ray. It goes against their marketing plan of downloading all your HD content. I'd love to have it, but don't see it. Hope I'm proven wrong!!!

Their downloadable HD content sucks, to be frank about it. I watched part of Planet Earth, when it was free. It doesn't begin to compare to my Blu-ray copy.

I don't expect it to be an option in the base models, but I'm hoping they'll be smart enough to have it as an option. Especially since rumors stated they considered putting the drives in iMacs a while back.

I don't see how Apple can continue to maintain a "premium computer" stance without embracing Blu-ray.

Edit: Just look at the Dell Zino that an earlier poster mentioned. It's not really a premium computer, but it has an option for Blu-ray since it's meant to be used with a TV. I'd imagine Apple is smart enough to realize that many people use the Mac mini as a home-theater PC.

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
Since Steve has been replying relatively frequently to peoples emails I sent him one today for "ghits and siggles". See if he responds...

Mr. Steve Jobs,

Was wondering what your intentions/expectations for the Mac Mini are in the near future. Although not a "flagship" product, I think Apple is missing out on an huge opportunity to corner the HTPC market. Sure the Zino and other products are setting themselves up to try and take this over, but seems like Apple hasn't been thinking about was an amazing machine the Mini could be, and how it can also "revolutionize" an industry.

apple tv is our htpc.

sent from my iPad

Mac Mini + iPad + TimeMachine

It would be nice to see a Mac Mini refresh before the iPad is available here in The Netherlands.

I'm switching someone to Apple now, and he's agreed to buy the following items:

This way he is able to do everything, even re-use his big monitor, without very big expenses (macbook pro 17"), but he can still be mobile with the iPad.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
I don't think I'm asking for much...All I want is a new mini with SSD, 4GB ram, an I3 or I5 processor with 320 graphics for less than $999. Am I crazy?

gilesybaby

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
It would be nice to see a Mac Mini refresh before the iPad is available here in The Netherlands.

I'm switching someone to Apple now, and he's agreed to buy the following items:

This way he is able to do everything, even re-use his big monitor, without very big expenses (macbook pro 17"), but he can still be mobile with the iPad.

This is the approach I'm thinking about too. I can't see why Apple aren't promoting this combo of mac mini and ipad more.

Hamsterz

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
I cannot wait and I want it in time for christmas as... well first off, originally the plan was to get a core i7 iMac but I don't think we will be able to do that at this point and time so a new mac mini would be great for my webdesigning oppose to the macbook 2006 with 1 gig of ram.

Core i5 processor should be a must... and I hope. 700 dollar mini is reasonable, although we only have a CRT and stuff (a LCD can wait until may or so, right?) :apple::apple:

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
If a mini update adds the nvidia 320m, would the mini come feasible for low level gaming? As in source engine games and other FPS with eye candy turned down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.