Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
macgallant said:
Ever since Apple released OSX 10.3.6 Update, along with it came the dreaded increased volume (with some towers to the point of distortion) bug that affected many MDD & FW800 towers. Then came OSX 10.3.7 & 10.3.8 which never addressed this issue. Hopefully it'll get fixed in OSX 10.3.9, if not Apple better get it right with OSX 10.4 Tiger, cause I ain't for hell gonna pay $!29 for an OS that won't function properly on my MDD tower! :mad:

I was also appalled at this bug and am disappointed that Apple has not tackled it. It's well-documented and yet nothing... :confused:

Fortunately, I was able to fix it with the help of another MR member...

Not going to leap on the back of the Tiger till I have heard from others on this forum.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
trip said:
hhmmmm you cant really go any higher than 10.3.9 since 3.9 any higher is "10.4"

I find it odd that people apparently find it inconceivable that 10.3.9 + 0.0.1 is anything but 10.4, yet have no problem with two decimal points in their math ...

Clue: Each of the three numbers is independent, and can add digits when necessary. 10.37.198 is just as valid a number in this scheme as 10.4.0.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
jettredmont said:
I find it odd that people apparently find it inconceivable that 10.3.9 + 0.0.1 is anything but 10.4, yet have no problem with two decimal points in their math ...

Clue: Each of the three numbers is independent, and can add digits when necessary. 10.37.198 is just as valid a number in this scheme as 10.4.0.

Agreed. And if you've ever seen Oracle version numbers, you'd know. For example, 9.2.0.3. They never did have a 9.0.2.1.0, what I wanted to code-name "Beverly Hills"...

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
I'm just amazed by the fact that the closer we get to 10.3.9, the more people start saying they can't go any further than 10.3.9. If we ever see 10.3.10 remains to been seen (I guess it depends on when .9 is released and the development of Tiger), should Apple decide to update Panther again after 10.3.9, the numbering scheme for sure won't stop them. If they call such an update 10.3.9.1 or 10.3.10 (which is more likely) is pointless IMO. The most important thing about an update always is that it works as it is supposed to.

daveL said:
If it's true, we won't be seeing Tiger before mid-April.

Well, the chance we'll see Tiger before June is close to zero. I'm excited about Tiger, too. But I prefer waiting a bit longer and get a .0 release that works to having to wait for 10.4.1 or even 10.4.2 until Tiger is ready to be used in a productive environment.

asimov

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2005
Belgium
FistfulofAngst said:
10.3.9.1?

no but really I've been noticing the beach ball a lot more often the last few days and I just put two and two together. I hope they fix this, never really had any problems before.

Same thing here!
And a number of unexpected quits mainly with Safari and Mail.
Is there any news on the security problem in Safari (false Paypal internet pages)?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Hope they:
- fix the automatic brightness on the PBs - its just way too sensitive ATM - flickers all the time.

- fix to solve the imbalanced speakers on the new PBs.

I'm with the poster above - why do people think numbers stop at 9?

Just what is wrong with that? Did you lot ever go to School?
( And its beginning to get annoying too - 10.3.9 therefore the next must be 10.4 thinking)

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
uv23 said:
Looks like they're going to leave panther with a crapload of bugs, particularly on the powerbook end of things. Unless they miraculously fix all of them with 10.3.9.

Almost all older releases of OS X have bugs. Some that carry on to this day. A major reason for ME to upgrade beyond the new features (and Tiger certainly has some attractive ones!) is that hopefully Apple is hard at work ironing out bugs. My guess is that at some point they say "Time to focus on the new release" and just dedicate a small team to maintaining the outdated os's. And all you really will ever see from that point on are security updates.

I realize some people don't like to upgrade, but in the computer world, not every "OS" version is patched, sealed, and solid as a rock before moving on to the next one. With limited resources, apple probably just calls it a day, and moves on when its time to dive deep into the new OS.

I think its time for the mac world to move forward however, and unify the user base. Not supporting os 9 is one of the best moves apple has made on the PC side of its business, as that would have led to years of dragging feet due to lethargic / scared users. Now those were drug kicking and screaming into the OS X world, and now they see the light!

But, back on topic, 10.3.9 may well be the last update, or may not. I do not feel that affects the tiger timeline at all at this point, as likely the engineers still working on panther are doing that exclusive from the people plugging away at tiger.

And leaving Panther with a few bugs is far from unusual... 10.0 is no longer under development / being patched, and I would say it has its "Fair" share of bugs :O

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The biggest fan noise problem is with the Dual-G5 towers, especially the 2.5Ghz model. It flares up when resizing web browsers and when scrolling rapidly; at other times, just for the hell of it. It goes 100% for 3, maybe 4 seconds. I really hope this is fixed in Tiger.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I also think that there is no reason why Apple can't go beyond 10.3.9. They are going to do what needs done. They certainly changed the numbering with security updates. After all we have to have something to discuss.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Stella said:
Hope they:
- fix the automatic brightness on the PBs - its just way too sensitive ATM - flickers all the time.

Yes! That is the most annoying thing! Just now as I was typing this it flickered. I hate it.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
Yes, I've noticed a huge increase in the number of popups that Safari misses as well. Hopefully Tiger will have some cool thing in Safari 2.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
age234 said:
Yes, I've noticed a huge increase in the number of popups that Safari misses as well. Hopefully Tiger will have some cool thing in Safari 2.
Ditto. The Block Pop-Up Windows feature fails regularly now. Does anybody have a guess as to the technical explanation?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Doctor Q said:
Ditto. The Block Pop-Up Windows feature fails regularly now. Does anybody have a guess as to the technical explanation?

According to daveL it isn't just Safari that is missing these popups. He said that its a new popup tactic that all browsers are missing.

JonoColesUK

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2005
London UK
call me a conspiracy theorist but maybe apple introduced a buggy 10.3.8 so that everyone upgrades to tiger as sooon as it comes out
:p

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
age234 said:

Not Apple specific, see MacFixit.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
JonoColesUK said:
call me a conspiracy theorist but maybe apple introduced a buggy 10.3.8 so that everyone upgrades to tiger as sooon as it comes out
:p

haha, I dont think so :p or at least I hope not ;)

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
jettredmont said:

Apparenty these people have never seen an IP address.

Hickman

jenkij

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2002
Brian Hickman said:
Apparenty these people have never seen an IP address.

Hickman

I don't think they've seen traditional version numbering either

XX.YY.ZZ XX=Version, YY=Revision, ZZ=Bug Fixes/Updates.

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
Yeah, Safari's pop-up blocker started getting too horrible for me... I even moved to OmniWeb!

It's been so long, I'm too used to the interface. The only thing is that OmniWeb's been crashing a bit too much for my taste. Any one else experience that on OW?

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
There seemed to be enough problems that people were having with 10.3.8 that I haven't upgraded yet and don't plan too. (My primary maching is a dual 2 G5 and I don't want fan noise.) Please apple get it right if that is possible.

rtjstevens

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2004
Sheffield + Bath UK
Stella said:
Hope they:

- fix to solve the imbalanced speakers on the new PBs.

I'm with the poster above - why do people think numbers stop at 9?

Just what is wrong with that? Did you lot ever go to School?
( And its beginning to get annoying too - 10.3.9 therefore the next must be 10.4 thinking)

Not that this is important at all ...but...ten point three point ten or ten point tree point eleven is a nonsense as it is pronounced: ten point three point 0ne nought/zero, and ten point three point one one. In other words you can't have a "ten point ten". The next increment from 10.3.9 is thus 10.3.91 etc

As I said , not important at all at it pales into insignificance when compared with the bug fixes and included updates. I've certainly noticed the revolving beach ball much more and my itunes now regularly locks up with 2 'kernal panic'/ press the power button restarts necessary since the last update. That's the important issue!

Bw

RTJ

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
well thank god i hab a ibook, all these pbook errors are makin feel uneasy for others.. hehe :p

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
alexexexex said:
.8 is awful i get spinning beachball all the time now, never used to. and safari is really slow especially hopefully .9 will be better and then bring on the tiger
That is interesting as I have the opposite experience. 10.3.8 is much faster and stable than 10.3.7. The best seems to have been 10.3.5, rock solid and fast. 10.3.6 was slower and caused some internet problems and lock-ups. 10.3.7 improved the internet problems, yet ran slower. Now 10.3.8 is much faster and no lock-ups or crashes. Hopefully, 10.3.9 will be even more of an improvement.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
stukdog said:
The biggest difference that I have seen since installing .8 is that I have been getting popups in Safari. I have had more in the last two weeks (8) then I did in the last year (1). And yes, the pop up blocker is on.
The pop ads seem to have nothing to do with OS X updates or Safari. As the same pop-ad behavior is occuring with users of Jaguar as well as Safari and Firefox, and those using various versions of Safari and Firefox.

Apparently, this is not a problem from any of Apple's doing but from an ad coder finding a work around of the OS X pop-ad blocker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.