Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
GodBless said:
I think Apple might make the 10.3.9 release a rotten update to make everyone want to buy Tiger. Good business strategy, poor ethics. What do you think, more Apple lawsuits or more Tiger public appearance because more Mac users will have it?

Or Apple could just give us a good 10.3.9 update.

This post would have been modded as "Troll" on Slashdot. It adds absolutely nothing to the conversation. The poster states what he thinks will happen, then reverses his forecast at the end. That and he posts comments sure to illict a reaction for other forum members. It would be like me going to a Windows forum and saying WInXP SP3 will suck and cause lots of problems to get people to buy Longhorn. What did we gain from that?

Hey, GodBless, here's some insight for you:
If you toss a coin in the air I think it will land on "heads". Or it could land on "tails." :rolleyes:

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
keysersoze said:
My computer hasn't woken from sleep 3 times since going to 10.3.8. Call of Duty won't quit, it locks up and I have to force quit it. And yes, I know all about reparing permissions, fsck and eating cheerios to keep my LDL cholesterol low.

Hear, hear. This actually started happening to me with 10.3.7.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
sacear said:
The pop ads seem to have nothing to do with OS X updates or Safari. As the same pop-ad behavior is occuring with users of Jaguar as well as Safari and Firefox, and those using various versions of Safari and Firefox.

Apparently, this is not a problem from any of Apple's doing but from an ad coder finding a work around of the OS X pop-ad blocker.
Soooo... since one should not be able to find a way around a pop-up ad blocker, one would hope that addressing this issue would be a priority in 10.3.9... otherwise, other sites will pick up on the same trick and soon the pop-up blocker will be useless.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I'm not digging .8 too much.

Halo multiplayer refuses to run now, and crashes when I even try to click it.

My fans seem to always be on, and they never used to run at such high speeds.

nek

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Canada
sacear said:
That is interesting as I have the opposite experience. 10.3.8 is much faster and stable than 10.3.7. The best seems to have been 10.3.5, rock solid and fast. 10.3.6 was slower and caused some internet problems and lock-ups. 10.3.7 improved the internet problems, yet ran slower. Now 10.3.8 is much faster and no lock-ups or crashes. Hopefully, 10.3.9 will be even more of an improvement.

I agree that 10.3.5 was the fastest, but 10.3.8 is not that great for me. Usually its fine, but occasionally an app (often the Finder) will crash but it won't quit when I try to force quit and eventually the same thing happens to a few more apps and I end up rebooting.

werd

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2005
First Time

This is the first time Apple ever had so many public updates to their OS between major releases. Often they jumped many minor update numbers, like 7.6 to 8.0 and 8.1 to 8.5, etc...

Personally I think they're going to do their best to not have any two digit updates after 10.3.9 (if and when that comes out).

But I think it's pure genius/coincidence the way Apple's OS segued from 9 to X (10), with the great coincidence in Roman numerals and the accepted shortcut for many things unix, the letter "X".

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
yg17 said:
People are having fan problems on their G5?

Yes. More specifically, my X800; the other fans didn't exhibit any noticeable change in behavior. It's really annoying and in fact I'm not using 10.3.8...I went back to 10.3.7 where the X800 fan behaves normally. I sent feedback to Apple, so maybe 10.3.9 fixes that problem.

(Aside: do we have to go though this "what comes after 10.3.9" thing EVERY time? It's simple...the integer after NINE is TEN. Not 91 or 9.1 or any other weirdness. As in, 10.3.10. What's hard to understand? It can't be the dots, surely...after all, people seem to grok that 1.800.867.5309 is a telephone number, not a decimal of some sort. I really hope there's at least one more update after 10.3.9 so we can finally end this nonsense. At least until 10.4.9 is released anyway.)

--Eric

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
After reading all this maybe Windows XP isn't so bad...! ;)

My Mac mini should be arriving soon, does it come with 10.8 preloaded or will I have to update and get all these bugs too? :confused:

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
The two worst updates for me was 10.3.6 (hosed my firewire) and 10.3.8 (fan revs and stops during startup, fan comes on more often then usual). I've been very disappointed with Apple. If they are in fact releasing 10.3.9 then let's hope they finally get it right this time.

Sure you have a choice, not update or wait and see what everyone else experiences, but shouldn't we be able to rely on Apple getting these things right?

I wonder what new issues 10.3.9 will bring to the table?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
kasei said:
I hope there is a fix Mail for mail when it comes out. It hasn't worked 100% since I upgraded to 10.3.8

In my wife's case it hasn't worked at all. Although Apple thinks Earthlink is at fault.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
X.3.8 has been a big problem for me. My notebook will not sleep at times when I click the "Sleep Button" on the "Log-In" screen, the Track Pad for some reason would not respond either, Plus other odd little problems. I should have stuck with X.3.7, however since the Track Pad issue, I just did a restore install and I am back on X.3.5 with the security updates.

I might not even consider to update to X.3.9 if Tiger is around the bend, I cannot risk these minor problem, and backing up though recommended looses it convenience when an update come out.

Apple and its testers really need to better test the updates before release since issues that occur on a day to day basis on important matters will keep prompting for an X.X.x update. Not a great way to go.

Now I have no problems backing up when Tiger is released, as long as its better tested then Panther. I don't need to relive the nightmare(s). :rolleyes: :)

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
10.3.8 has been ace for me.
on my old powerbook every update from 10.2.6 to 10.3.5 was better and more stable than the last (maybe i'm lucky), i hope this continues with 10.3.9

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
maya said:
X.3.8 has been a big problem for me. My notebook will not sleep at times when I click the "Sleep Button" on the "Log-In" screen, the Track Pad for some reason would not respond either, Plus other odd little problems. I should have stuck with X.3.7, however since the Track Pad issue, I just did a restore install and I am back on X.3.5 with the security updates.

I might not even consider to update to X.3.9 if Tiger is around the bend, I cannot risk these minor problem, and backing up though recommended looses it convenience when an update come out.

Apple and its testers really need to better test the updates before release since issues that occur on a day to day basis on important matters will keep prompting for an X.X.x update. Not a great way to go.

Now I have no problems backing up when Tiger is released, as long as its better tested then Panther. I don't need to relive the nightmare(s). :rolleyes: :)

I mean, issues are issues, but I am not sure what you just described could be quite called a nightmare.

Anything as large as an OS will have issues, and ironing out all the bugs is impossible till it hits the streets, cuz some bugs just cannot be found in captive.

Bill

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
BillHarrison said:
I mean, issues are issues, but I am not sure what you just described could be quite called a nightmare.

Anything as large as an OS will have issues, and ironing out all the bugs is impossible till it hits the streets, cuz some bugs just cannot be found in captive.

Bill

An OS crashing the main HDD and the backup HDD is indeed a nightmare. Files are too large to backup to a CD or DVD for that matter. :(

It happen quite some months back, though it still hurts. :(

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
maya said:
An OS crashing the main HDD and the backup HDD is indeed a nightmare. Files are too large to backup to a CD or DVD for that matter. :(

It happen quite some months back, though it still hurts. :(

Yes, that they are. But you don't mention those in your post?

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
cheekyspanky said:
After reading all this maybe Windows XP isn't so bad...! ;)

My Mac mini should be arriving soon, does it come with 10.8 preloaded or will I have to update and get all these bugs too? :confused:

10.8! only on Steve's machine...

But seriously, your mini should have 10.3.7 or so already on it, with 10.3.8 available via SoftwareUpdate.

Personally, speaking to the broader topic here, I've never had a single discernible problem with any of my machines for which I can blame any 10.x.x update. Crossing fingers ...

fisious

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
rtjstevens said:
Not that this is important at all ...but...ten point three point ten or ten point tree point eleven is a nonsense as it is pronounced: ten point three point 0ne nought/zero, and ten point three point one one. In other words you can't have a "ten point ten". The next increment from 10.3.9 is thus 10.3.91 etc

RTJ

Oh my God! These updates aren't for marketing purposes. Thus it is simply a numeric sequence. after 10.3.9 would certainly be 10.3.10. And by the way, who cares?

Arggh, I can't believe i'm reading this thread, and I'm even more disgusted with myself that I am relpying. Ack.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
I keep hearing people with "pop-up" ad windows in safari and other browsers. I have not gotten this problem at all. I do not count Java Script ads as a pop-up window while surfing. I know its a PITA however I don't get them much at all, so its not a problem.

Can someone point me to a site with pop-up ad windows that occurs in safari when the option is active. :)

fisious

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
Safari pop-ups gone.

maya said:
Can someone point me to a site with pop-up ad windows that occurs in safari when the option is active. :)

I wish someone would post a site too. It's no use telling us a problem with no details.

WOW - Check this out, from the MacFixit site, if you haven't already seen it.
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050221083128830

Response from a pop-up subverter Last week we mentioned a company called "Popuptraffic.com" that was directly boasts about their ability to subvert pop-up blockers.

MacFixIt reader David Ourisman had an interesting exchange with a representative from "Popuptraffic.com", as follows:

David Ourisman wrote: "I am writing to complain about the fact that you are intentionally trying to subvert web users desire not to view pop-under ads. This is a very poor business practice, and I consider any impression from an unwanted advertisement to be an inducement to boycott that advertiser."

Popuptraffic.com's response: "How dare you? Let me teach you a little something that you obviously never were able to grasp. If you go to a website and in exchange for taking what that website is providing, you are shown a popup ad, you allow the owner of the site the to recoup some of the very real costs involved with keeping a site online. By using a popup blocker, you are essentially stealing their work. You're nothing more than a common thief. Sincerely, Ron Holiday."

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
fisious said:
I wish someone would post a site too. It's no use telling us a problem with no details.

WOW - Check this out, from the MacFixit site, if you haven't already seen it.
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050221083128830

Response from a pop-up subverter Last week we mentioned a company called "Popuptraffic.com" that was directly boasts about their ability to subvert pop-up blockers.

MacFixIt reader David Ourisman had an interesting exchange with a representative from "Popuptraffic.com", as follows:

David Ourisman wrote: "I am writing to complain about the fact that you are intentionally trying to subvert web users desire not to view pop-under ads. This is a very poor business practice, and I consider any impression from an unwanted advertisement to be an inducement to boycott that advertiser."

Popuptraffic.com's response: "How dare you? Let me teach you a little something that you obviously never were able to grasp. If you go to a website and in exchange for taking what that website is providing, you are shown a popup ad, you allow the owner of the site the to recoup some of the very real costs involved with keeping a site online. By using a popup blocker, you are essentially stealing their work. You're nothing more than a common thief. Sincerely, Ron Holiday."

Ah, its really a small war, with those of us not wanting pop ups vrs those that would love to have us see them. We do what we can to stop them, they will do what they can to work around that. Such is life!

Honestly, the ONLY thing that would stop them is people NOT buying anything from those ads. It MUST work, or they would not try so hard to do it. Same thing with spam. Getting people to stop answering it is the key. Probably impossible, but still.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
maya said:
I keep hearing people with "pop-up" ad windows in safari and other browsers. I have not gotten this problem at all. I do not count Java Script ads as a pop-up window while surfing. I know its a PITA however I don't get them much at all, so its not a problem.

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the Mac OS update. Happy to hear that at least you have the POP up windows under control. Try to look on the bright side.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I am pleased to report that I have not experienced any major problems because of a Mac OS X update so far. I have had some minor issues, such as the icons randomly changing and iDisk sometimes refusing to manually sync, but all of these had simple workarounds, and every one of them was solved temporarily by logging out and back in.

I can't honestly think of anything Apple could do to make 10.3.9 better than 10.3.8 on my system besides fixing these little issues I mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.