Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joe10190

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2018
Lancashire
I am a real beginner when it comes to macs and need help needed to try and get my mac pro1.1 updated to show replacement cpus X5355. Rom is MP 11.005C.B08 with smc 1.7f10. I have tried a couple of different firmware tools including the one from netkas.
I am running El Capitan. The tool seems to runs ok but fails to perform the update. I followed the instructions on amending the "extractandpatchefifiles" and dragged them into the terminal window. I received the following error message as per sceenshot. I also tried using a lion installation but ran into the 5530 problem. I also tried following the instructions on this post to move files to the ramdrive but i also failed to get this working.
any help most appreciated.
thanks
darrell

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 15.10.47.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 15.10.47.png
    736.5 KB · Views: 978
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 15.09.53.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 15.09.53.png
    728.8 KB · Views: 665
Reactions: redAPPLE

Hex94

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2019
I am running 10.7.5. But I did manage to upgrade my 1,1 to a 2,1 some minutes ago. I will describe it here in case somebody else faces the same issues:

1. Get the Upgrade tool vom netkas.org via Wayback Machine here as @jbarley suggested or get it from somebody directly like @ColEpsi - thanks!
  2. Download the Apple firmware update
  3. Mount the .dmg file
  4. Use the upgrade tool to create the RAM Disk which in my case directly failed after creating the RAM Disk with the error code 5530
  5. Have a look at the content of the upgrade tool and copy the following scripts from /Contents/Resources to the RAM Disk:
    1. ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
    2. UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
    3. DowngradeEFI2007-2006.sh
    4. MacProEFIUpdater2006.patch
    5. MacProEFIUpdater2007.patch
  6. Open ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh with the editor of your choice
  7. Remove the following lines:
    1. Code:
      hdiutil attach -nobrowse MacProEFI2006and2007.dmg
    2. Code:
      rm -R Expanded
    3. Code:
      rm -R System
    4. Code:
      rm Payload
  8. Save the script
  9. Run it with
    Code:
    ./ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
  10. Run the actual upgrade script with sudo rights via
    Code:
    sudo ./UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
  11. If everything runs trough without error proceed with the firmware upgrade:
    1. Shut down the Mac
    2. Press and hold the power button until it blinks
    3. Wait for the upgrade to finish
    4. Check the firmware version
    5. Reboot in case it does not detect your CPUs correctly until it does.
That did the trick for me.

Thanks again and cheers,
Robert

You're more of a genius than any of those with the blue t-shirts...

Followed the above and worked first time on a 4 core 2.66ghz 3gb 1,1 2006 Mac Pro. Now I've got my 32gb ram installed and just waiting for the new CPUs to arrive from China. Then I'll be on an 8 core 3ghz system for less than £100! :)

Thank you so much for this! Real life saver X

pedro66

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
Long time reader first time poster, Thanks for all the information that everyone has posted but honestly I am lost and pretty confused, hardware not an issue machine is running with 2x 5365 3.0Ghz pretty
well see attached for configuration but Processors are not recognized and I just cannot get the 1,1 to update to 2,1 the RAM disk is being created but on restarting nothing changes.

I have tried several of the methods described and still not getting anywhere

Could one of you kind people please post a step by step for those of us who are maybe a little hard of thinking

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 20.52.56.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 20.54.11.png

Last edited:

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
When I did it, it didn't work for me on El Capitan.
I installed an older OS on another HD, which might have been Snow Leopard (it was a while a go can't remember exactly). On the older OS it worked without a hitch.

joe10190

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2018
Lancashire
Thanks for all the replies. I finally managed to perform the update by creating a snow leopard usb install disk ( using a USB2 drive not the 2 failed USB3 drives i have) installing snow leopard and then following the instructions provided by HaRomr earler in this thread.
Do i need to update the firmware to ensure that the system is stable?
thanks again
darrell

Ichijoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2019
Hi Could I possibly request (assuming someone actually still has a copy of it), the Mac Pro 2006/07 Firmware Update in *dmg format?

I haven't had much problems with finding the "Mac Pro 2006 - 2007 Firmware.app" File though. But since Apple have probably since removed anything related to the Mac Pro 1 1 from their Severs. It seems like I'm left with a "This Program requires Internet access. Please connect your Mac Pro to the Internet and try again." error.

or can I use the HOWTO as it is for the *.app File too?

**UPDATE** I went back to Yosemite 10.10 and, tried the installer again. in anywise it finally worked with the "Mac Pro 2006 - 2007 Firmware.app" and, now I have 2 1 installed now I just have to work out how I'm going to get the SMC Firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: redAPPLE

Pmac1687

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
I am a real beginner when it comes to macs and need help needed to try and get my mac pro1.1 updated to show replacement cpus X5355. Rom is MP 11.005C.B08 with smc 1.7f10. I have tried a couple of different firmware tools including the one from netkas.
I am running El Capitan. The tool seems to runs ok but fails to perform the update. I followed the instructions on amending the "extractandpatchefifiles" and dragged them into the terminal window. I received the following error message as per sceenshot. I also tried using a lion installation but ran into the 5530 problem. I also tried following the instructions on this post to move files to the ramdrive but i also failed to get this working.
any help most appreciated.
thanks
darrell
I was running the exact firmware and smc as you Darrel on Mac 10.6 os and I’m using your Screenshot here because I don’t have access to the Mac but I performed it on right now but I kept getting the same error message as in the screenshot above

hdiutil detach failed no such file or directory

and it never flashed when I restarted so I figured this error must be causing the problem I went back to haromr post and in step 6 where we open the ExtractAndPatchEFIFile.sh in the text edit haromr has us delete 4 lines from the .sh file but if you look at the first line he has us edit out is “hdiutil attach...” so we are getting the error described above because we have to edit out the line in the .sh file that begins “hdiutil detach......”. This line is located in the .sh file after the “rm payload” line that we edit out as per haromr’s procedure reply if having problems and I can attach screenshots

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
As of 11/5/2019 the 2006-2007 Firmware Upgrade to 2,1 does work. See my post below for details on how.

Last edited:

Pmac1687

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
Are you suggesting that we should not edit out the first line??? Have you tried not editing it? Did doing so work for you?

Regarding the 5530error received after the Upgrader creates the RAM disk and tries to populate the file...It seems that prior to May/June 2019 users had success. But, I'm wondering if the links to the server where the files are located are broken, or the files themselves are no longer available online. I've read this entire thread. The 2,1 upgrader won't work if it can't retrieve the files necessary to populate the RAM it creates. I've been on Netkas and elsewhere begging those who've had success to upload the original .dmg files. That seems to be what we need.
To clarify only after weeks of failed attempts following various methods from netkas and elsewhere I was only able to succeed after figuring out that I needed to edit out both the line first mentioned above that says “attach” and after attempting the previously mentioned method and failing I concluded that I needed to also edit the line from the script started diskutils “detach” and once I did that I was successful and as to the netkas link being outdated from what I have gathered the reason the tool didn’t work for me was because of a registry issue where the upgrade tool isn’t compatible with my particular firmware version causing the “5530 error” when downloading, to put it plainly I used the link From the original netkas forum after searching it up on google and same with the 1.2 update which I got from the Apple website my success was achieved October 2019

Pmac1687

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
Are you suggesting that we should not edit out the first line??? Have you tried not editing it? Did doing so work for you?

It seems that prior to August 2019 users had success with the 2,1 firmware upgrade. I've read this entire thread trying to be a good citizen not seeking a quick answer to questions that have already been answered in this, and similar threads. People are racking their brains over whether the 2,1 firmware upgrade is not working (error 5530) because of their OSX, their hardware configurations, etc. Yet, could it be as simple as the .dmg files the upgrade points to online are no longer available as of today?????

I have OS X 10.7.5... As instructed in the original threads I've altered the upgrade tool scripts in the RAM Disk and run them with the corrections suggested by others ad nauseum to no avail.

I'm guessing the 2,1 firmware upgrader won't work if it can't retrieve the files necessary to populate the RAM it creates. I searched the Wayback archive for days trying to get the original firmware upgrade posted on Netkas. I've been on Netkas and elsewhere begging those who've had success to upload the original .dmg files. Even sent a message to the firmware creator and never got a response.

Has anyone gotten the firmware upgrade to work after September 2019??? If so, how?

I foolishly spent $300 on new CPUs, RAM, HDs, a new GPU, OS X upgrader, cables, etc. before upgrading the firmware. You can imagine how disgusted I am not being able to upgrade as I hoped.
So you followed HaRoMR's instructions, but removed these five lines of code in the firmware upgrade and it worked for you...????

rm -R Expanded
rm -R System
rm Payload
diskutils “detach”
Yes , and sorry if it was unclear earlier But I think it should be:

hdiutil attach -nobrowsemacproefi2006and2007.dmg
Rm - r expanded
Rm -r system
Rm -r payload
Hdiutil detach -nobrowsemacproefi2006and2007.dmg

Pmac1687

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
No apologies necessary...I'm desperate to upgrade and appreciate any tips. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I'm using the August 23, 2011 (216 KB) Mac Pro 2006-2007 Firmware Tool. But, removing the five lines of code doesn't help. Before running the 'sudo' command, I can see the 'no such file or directory' on every line the 'extractandpatchEFIFiles.sh' command returns. Can anyone help me solve this?
email me
No apologies necessary...I'm desperate to upgrade and appreciate any tips. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I'm using the August 23, 2011 (216 KB) Mac Pro 2006-2007 Firmware Tool. But, removing the five lines of code doesn't help. Before running the 'sudo' command, I can see the 'no such file or directory' on every line the 'extractandpatchEFIFiles.sh' command returns. Can anyone help me solve this?
Macandy look at the conversation i started with you

Petri Krohn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
It seems that prior to August 2019 users had success with the 2,1 firmware upgrade. ... Yet, could it be as simple as the .dmg files the upgrade points to online are no longer available as of today?????

It seems that you are all missing the file named MacProFirmwareUpdate1.2.dmg. It can be downloaded from Apple servers from this page:

(I also found an old direct download link from the Netkas forum. it still works.)

All firmware updates for Mac Pros are listed here:

On the page you will also find the Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1 which contains the SMC firmware for Mac Pro 2,1.

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
im wondering, is there perhaps an updated version of this 1,1-2,1 firmware tool by the time of writing this.. ?
or a pre modified .sh script or something.. ?

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
I don't think there's an easier way to upgrade to 2,1. But, the good news is that as of 11/5/2019, the 2006-2007 Firmware Upgrade download from Netkas, also located on the first page of this thread, still works with some tweaking. It is not a server or .dmg file problem, as I thought. After 10ish failed attempts, here's how I got it to work with help from HaRoMR and Pmac1687 (I'll explain more for those who are less Mac saavy like myself)...

1. Download the Mac Pro EFI package installer 1.2 directly from Apple support IF you don't already have it installed. Mine was already on my computer in the Utilities folder installed years ago. If already installed, click the Mac Pro EFI package installer 1.2 icon and the file opens onto the dashboard. If downloaded, go to the download folder and click/unzip the package. It MUST BE OPENED on the desktop (not just installed on the computer as I previously thought). Click the package installer box icon and the program opens. It informed me that I did not need it (because it was already installed). Leave it and its error message window open on the dashboard.

2. Download the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade from Netkas or the first page of this thread. Next unzip/double-click and run the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade. It will create a RAM disk on the dashboard. Next, it will try to populate the RAM disk with files, but will fail. Leave it and its error 5530 message windows OPEN ON THE DESKTOP (I'd been closing them).

3. Click Finder/Go/Downloads tabs. Find the 2006-2007 Firmware upgrade in the download list. Right-click the download and select Show Package Files. Click the Contents, then Resources folder. Copy the following scripts from Resources into the RAM Disk on the dashboard and leave the RAM disk window open...

ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
DowngradeEFI2007-2006.sh
MacProEFIUpdater2006.patch

MacProEFIUpdater2007.patch

4. Click/Select the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh file. (As you begin to alter the file contents a message will appear asking if you want to unlock or make a copy of the file...select unlock). Edit the script by deleting SIX CODE LINES (HaRoMR recommends removing the following five code lines):

rm -R Expanded
rm -R System
rm -R Payload

But, I also removed the code line....

Close the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh window. Then reopen it to verify the changes were made. Close it again.

5. Next, go to the Utilities folder and click/open the Terminal icon...
- Type a period .
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the ExtractandpatchEFIFiles.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- Around this point the Terminal told me that a file already existed and asked me if I wanted to overwrite the file. I typed Y (= yes).
- (Check that no errors are generated e.g., file/directory not found)

- Next type the word... sudo
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- The terminal then requests your password.
- Type the password.

6. Close the error messages of both the MacProEFIpackage installer 1.2 window and the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade window.

7. Leave the Terminal and RAM disk windows open.

8. Formally shutdown the computer using the menu options.

9. Reboot the computer by pressing the power button until the lights begin flashing.

I did this entire procedure four times. It didn't upgrade until the FOURTH TIME. So, as long as you don't get errors when running the two Terminal commands, just keep trying until it works!!!!!!!

10. If you upgraded your CPUs prior to upgrading to 2,1 you'll likely need to reboot until the CPUs are recognized in the 'about this Mac' directory. If upgrading CPUs after upgrading to the 2,1 firmware, it should recognize them right away.

11. Faster CPUs, e.g. 3.00ghz will necessitate you download and run the Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1 which contains the SMC firmware to regulate the new fan speed for Mac Pro 2,1 at the following link...

Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1

However, it may already have been installed years ago, as mine was. Check the Utilities folder. I ran/clicked it open again, and received an error message saying it was not necessary because it was already installed.

I hope this helps somebody.

Last edited:

Joseph Waleed

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
im wondering, is there perhaps an updated version of this 1,1-2,1 firmware tool by the time of writing this.. ?
or a pre modified .sh script or something.. ?
There is someone who posted the file to download. Follow the instruction by harmoer. But before that downgrade your OS to snow leapord using USB stick.

Quadra840av

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2019
Germany
I am running 10.7.5. But I did manage to upgrade my 1,1 to a 2,1 some minutes ago. I will describe it
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ( to save space - you can read by scrooling up)
Thanks again and cheers,
Robert

Very Good Robert , thank you so much . It works fine with one of my Mac Pro 1,1 Comupter . The Mac Pro wich was running the update was from 2006 .

The secound one dont upgrade . This maschine was made in 2007 and have this BIOS

Apple Computer, Inc. MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707021221

maschine Serial Number is : CK7280J9UPZ

I upgrade both CPUs to 8 core 3,0 ghz system . Running 10.8.5 with the MacPostfactor Hack .the Computer runs fine with that setup , geekbench ( unregistred) Score is 10330 (was 5270 with 4core cpu´s)but it is still a 1,1 .
Is there a solution for my problem ?

edit : the " Netkas " server is down ?

Attachments

• geekresuld.jpg
    geekresuld.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

quattro4ever

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Poland
I don't think there's an easier way to upgrade to 2,1. But, the good news is that as of 11/5/2019, the 2006-2007 Firmware Upgrade download from Netkas, also located on the first page of this thread, still works with some tweaking. It is not a server or .dmg file problem, as I thought. After 10ish failed attempts, here's how I got it to work with help from HaRoMR and Pmac1687 (I'll explain more for those who are less Mac saavy like myself)...

1. Download the Mac Pro EFI package installer 1.2 directly from Apple support IF you don't already have it installed. Mine was already on my computer in the Utilities folder installed years ago. If already installed, click the Mac Pro EFI package installer 1.2 icon and the file opens onto the dashboard. If downloaded, go to the download folder and click/unzip the package. It MUST BE OPENED on the desktop (not just installed on the computer as I previously thought). Click the package installer box icon and the program opens. It informed me that I did not need it (because it was already installed). Leave it and its error message window open on the dashboard.

2. Download the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade from Netkas or the first page of this thread. Next unzip/double-click and run the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade. It will create a RAM disk on the dashboard. Next, it will try to populate the RAM disk with files, but will fail. Leave it and its error 5530 message windows OPEN ON THE DESKTOP (I'd been closing them).

3. Click Finder/Go/Downloads tabs. Find the 2006-2007 Firmware upgrade in the download list. Right-click the download and select Show Package Files. Click the Contents, then Resources folder. Copy the following scripts from Resources into the RAM Disk on the dashboard and leave the RAM disk window open...

ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
DowngradeEFI2007-2006.sh
MacProEFIUpdater2006.patch

MacProEFIUpdater2007.patch

4. Click/Select the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh file. (As you begin to alter the file contents a message will appear asking if you want to unlock or make a copy of the file...select unlock). Edit the script by deleting FIVE CODE LINES (HaRoMR recommends removing the following four code lines):

rm -R Expanded
rm -R System
rm -R Payload

But, I also removed the code line....

Close the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh window. Then reopen it to verify the changes were made. Close it again.

5. Next, go to the Utilities folder and click/open the Terminal icon...
- Type a period .
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the ExtractandpatchEFIFiles.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- Around this point the Terminal told me that a file already existed and asked me if I wanted to overwrite the file. I typed Y (= yes).

- Next type the word... sudo
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- The terminal then requests your password.
- Type the password.

6. Close the error messages of both the MacProEFIpackage installer 1.2 window and the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade window.

7. Leave the Terminal and RAM disk windows open.

8. Formally shutdown the computer using the menu options.

9. Reboot the computer by pressing the power button until the lights begin flashing.

I did this entire procedure four times. It didn't upgrade until the FOURTH TIME. So, as long as you don't get errors when running the two Terminal commands, just keep trying until it works!!!!!!!

10. If you upgraded your CPUs prior to upgrading to 2,1 you'll likely need to reboot until the CPUs are recognized in the 'about this Mac' directory. If upgrading CPUs after upgrading to the 2,1 firmware, it should recognize them right away.

11. Faster CPUs, e.g. 3.00ghz will necessitate you download and run the Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1 which contains the SMC firmware to regulate the new fan speed for Mac Pro 2,1 at the following link...

Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1

However, it may already have been installed years ago, as mine was. Check the Utilities folder. I ran/clicked it open again, and received an error message saying it was not necessary because it was already installed.

I hope this helps somebody.

thank you very much for the instructions,
I've been dealing with this for a long time,
thanks to your instructions everything is ok,
as you wrote, it didn't work the first time, but it worked the third time :)
I don't know why this happens,
never mind, it works already :)
thank you very much!

Quadra840av

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2019
Germany
you need to have this folder on youre desktop ?

I did it. It must be the correct version of the firmware tool. For the corresponding Boot Rom Version of youre Mac Pro .

Macs Fans are nice quiet ...

Hardware-Übersicht:

Modellname: Mac Pro
Modell-Identifizierung: MacPro2,1
Prozessortyp: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3 GHz
Anzahl der Prozessoren: 2
Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 8
L2-Cache (pro Prozessor): 8 MB
Speicher: 20 GB
Busgeschwindigkeit: 1,33 GHz
Boot-ROM-Version: MP21.007F.B06
SMC-Version (System): 1.7f10
Seriennummer (System): CK7280J9UPZ
Hardware-UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F20B8B8A

Attachments

• C9324003-78D6-473B-98C9-8C43F14CF45C.JPG
    C9324003-78D6-473B-98C9-8C43F14CF45C.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 291
  • geekbench2,1.jpg
    geekbench2,1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

Christoph Mazur

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2019
I am running 10.7.5. But I did manage to upgrade my 1,1 to a 2,1 some minutes ago. I will describe it here in case somebody else faces the same issues:

1. Get the Upgrade tool vom netkas.org via Wayback Machine here as @jbarley suggested or get it from somebody directly like @ColEpsi - thanks!
  2. Download the Apple firmware update
  3. Mount the .dmg file
  4. Use the upgrade tool to create the RAM Disk which in my case directly failed after creating the RAM Disk with the error code 5530
  5. Have a look at the content of the upgrade tool and copy the following scripts from /Contents/Resources to the RAM Disk:
    1. ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
    2. UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
    3. DowngradeEFI2007-2006.sh
    4. MacProEFIUpdater2006.patch
    5. MacProEFIUpdater2007.patch
  6. Open ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh with the editor of your choice
  7. Remove the following lines:
    1. Code:
    2. Code:
      rm -R Expanded
    3. Code:
      rm -R System
    4. Code:
      rm Payload
  8. Save the script
  9. Run it with
    Code:
    ./ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
  10. Run the actual upgrade script with sudo rights via
    Code:
    sudo ./UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
  11. If everything runs trough without error proceed with the firmware upgrade:
    1. Shut down the Mac
    2. Press and hold the power button until it blinks
    3. Wait for the upgrade to finish
    4. Check the firmware version
    5. Reboot in case it does not detect your CPUs correctly until it does.
That did the trick for me.

Thanks again and cheers,
Robert
Hi Robert. I tried several months to update my 1.1 Mac. I'm so happy, that it is now done with your advice. Thank you so much. Now I wait for my 2. CPU (X5365) to install them. 32 GB RAMs are already in it. After I installed the CPUs and updated osx to at least 10.11, I want to sell it. Greetz chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.