Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huskerfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Hello, new mac pro 1,1 owner here. I have two drives, one with Lion, and another I bought off ebay that has El Capitan installed. When trying to do the upgrade process above I still get 5530 error. When I switch to capitan it runs perfectly... Except, after rebooting it still shows 1,1. I run the tool it does everything then says Finished, tells me to reboot, but to hold the power button until the flashes or the tone. I do that.. I do see a white/greyish screen for a while, maybe 15-20 seconds, then the apple logo comes up and it boots normally. When I go check to see if it worked I still see 1,1. Oh on the two drives, I didn't run them at the same time, I ran separately.

Any ideas?
[automerge]1576429484[/automerge]
I think my issue is I am not mounting the correct firmware. Does anyone have a link to the correct firmware? I have a .dmg called MacProFirmwareUpdate1.2.dmg, but when I try to mount that it says "This computer doesn't need this update".

Last edited:

huskerfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
IT FREAKING WORKED.... I went back to Lion, did everything all over again (procedure from page 2) and rebooted, and BOOM 2,1

davidmorr

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
/ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh but this was wrong needs to be as so
. /ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh need space between the "." an "/" then drop file in then for 9
Sorry, if this worked for you then you had done something wrong before getting to this stage. Probably dragged the files to your startup disk rather than the RAM disk.

sudo ./UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh is also wrong needs to be
sudo /UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh no need for "."
Again, only if you had dragged the files to your startup disk.

If you follow the instructions exactly, it will work as described. (10.6.8)

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Is the SMC update a must, or can you update CPU's without issue?

as far as I know, it's reccomended, since the fan speed will suite better for quad core cpu's.
but of course correct me if I'm wrong.

I've got my info from this youtube video :

huskerfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Maybe you guys can tell me.. My 1,1 upgraded to 2,1 is not showing the correct amount of memory. I original thought the rise board was bad because two DIMM slots showed as empty, but they had memory in them. I have the same memory of all slots totally 32GB, but it is only showing 24. I even bought a different riser board... Once I pulled the one with "empty" slots, I moved the memory over.. it didn't recognize ANY, showed all slots empty. After messing around I got it back to 24 gb, but still not recognizing all slots as being full.
[automerge]1577407834[/automerge]
as far as I know, it's reccomended, since the fan speed will suite better for quad core cpu's.
but of course correct me if I'm wrong.

I've got my info from this youtube video :

The person in the video mentions it is not really needed in one of the posts..

SlappyTown

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Hey! I am not able to get any of these steps to work! Ive tried it all and I am probably not completing a step correctly. Would anyone be interested in either facetime or facebook video msg me so I could get walked through this update or at least the first part? Please let me know I would really appreciate it!

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
You haven't stated what you're trying to do, and I'm not sure what you mean by "these steps." People have suggested steps to take throughout this three-paged thread.

I can't do FaceTime, etc. But, I have written a detailed step by step post on page 2 of this thread based on the work of these Apple savvy gurus (e.g. HaRoMR)...for those who are not so Apple savvy. See post number 43 on page 2.

SlappyTown

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
You haven't stated what you're trying to do, and I'm not sure what you mean by "these steps." People have suggested steps to take throughout this three-paged thread.

I can't do FaceTime, etc. But, I have written a detailed step by step post on page 2 of this thread based on the work of these Apple savvy gurus (e.g. HaRoMR)...for those who are not so Apple savvy.

I am trying to upgrade Mac pro 2.66, 32 gb ram, 1.1 to 2.1 or 3.1 so I can upgrade the OS to sierra. I am getting error code 5530 when I run the software upgrade. So I created the RamDisk and dragged the folders into RamDisk. Then I edited the file that was recommended and tried running terminal and that is where it ends.
[automerge]1581722888[/automerge]

I can't do FaceTime, etc. But, I have written a detailed step by step post on page 2 of this thread based on the work of these Apple savvy gurus (e.g. HaRoMR)...for those who are not so Apple savvy. See post number 43 on page 2.

So I am following your steps and when I am at terminal it states it cannot find my file

Last edited:

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
A Mac Pro 1,1 can only be upgraded to 2,1, and the highest OSX it can receive is El Capitan with the aid of Pikify software. I can't help you beyond directing you to the steps in post 43. I'm sorry.

SlappyTown

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
A Mac Pro 1,1 can only be upgraded to 2,1, and the highest OSX it can receive is El Capitan with the aid of Pikify software. I can't help you beyond directing you to the steps in post 43. I'm sorry.

Yes, El Capitan is fine. But I have High Sierra right now and I cant get past the following steps because it says the file doesn't exist.

5. Next, go to the Utilities folder and click/open the Terminal icon...
- Type a period .
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the ExtractandpatchEFIFiles.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- Around this point the Terminal told me that a file already existed and asked me if I wanted to overwrite the file. I typed Y (= yes).
- (Check that no errors are generated e.g., file/directory not found)

This is what mine says after I follow these steps:

Lexs-Mac-Pro:~ Lex$ . /Volumes/RamDisk/ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
cp: /Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Updater/MacProFirmwareUpdate.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz: No such file or directory
gzip: Archive.pax.gz: No such file or directory
pax: Failed open to read on Archive.pax <No such file or directory>
mkdir: MacProEFI2007-2006: File exists
mkdir: MacProEFI2006-2007: File exists
cp: Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/EFIUpdaterApp2.efi: No such file or directory
cp: Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/LOCKED_MP21_007F_06B.fd: No such file or directory
cp: Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi: No such file or directory
cp: Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/LOCKED_MP11_005C_08B.fd: No such file or directory
patch: **** Can't find file MacProEFI2006-2007/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi : No such file or directory
patch: **** Can't find file MacProEFI2007-2006/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi : No such file or directory
Lexs-Mac-Pro:RamDisk Lex$
Lexs-Mac-Pro:RamDisk Lex$

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
Did you remove SIX lines in the MacProEFI2006-2007/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi file, and then save it?

As macrumors 6502a infers above, lt's not possible to run Sierra on a 1,1. How did Sierra become your current OSX?

Last edited:

SlappyTown

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Did you remove SIX lines in the MacProEFI2006-2007/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi file, and then save it?

As macrumors 6502a infers above, lt's not possible to run Sierra on a 1,1. How did Sierra become your current OSX?

I may have misspoke. I am trying to upgrade to High Sierra. If you go to DOSDudes I thought it was possible? Either way I don't mind if its El Capitan either. I just watched a video of DOSDudes installing Mojave onto a early macbook pro 2008. So in my mind it should work on this as well. Same year.....
[automerge]1581726432[/automerge]

No I will go look at that now.
[automerge]1581726590[/automerge]

I removed the lines from the ExtractandPatchEFIfiles as mentioned in the instructions. I am unsure of what you are referring too?
[automerge]1581726791[/automerge]

Last edited:

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
It's not clear what computer you have. Perhaps it's necessary to do more research before attempting to upgrade your Mac pro cpu or your OSX. If your computer is a 2008 model that means it's already a 3,1 Mac Pro which has a totally different CPU architecture. So, it doesn't make sense that you'd be using this thread to upgrade a 2006 (1,1) to a 2007 (2,1).

SlappyTown

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020

OK I went back and yes you know whats up. I am trying to upgrade to El Capitan not High Sierra! My bad.
[automerge]1581727166[/automerge]
It's not clear what computer you have. Perhaps it's necessary to do more research before attempting to upgrade your Mac pro cpu or your OSX. If your computer is a 2008 model that means it's already a 3,1 Mac Pro which has a totally different CPU architecture. So, it doesn't make sense that you'd be using this thread to upgrade a 2006 (1,1) to a 2007 (2,1).

I need help with the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2.
Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 32 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
[automerge]1581727371[/automerge]
If anyone wants to private message me on facebook you can look me up Michael Thomas Norval. Id love to video chat if possible it would probably make the process easier if you could see it..... Thanks

Last edited:

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
OK I went back and yes you know whats up. I am trying to upgrade to El Capitan not High Sierra! My bad.
[automerge]1581727166[/automerge]

I need help with the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2.
Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 32 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
[automerge]1581727371[/automerge]
If anyone wants to private message me on facebook you can look me up Michael Thomas Norval. Id love to video chat if possible it would probably make the process easier if you could see it..... Thanks

I had the same specs as you, and was able to upgrade using the steps in post 43.

SlappyTown

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020

I finally seem to have made it past all the steps. The only thing I changed in the process was not putting a period and space before the ExtractandPatchEFIiles.sh
This did not work for me so I tried it without and it must have gone through......
- Type a period .
- Insert a space.

I am now in the reboot phase and we will see if it works!

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
I finally seem to have made it past all the steps. The only thing I changed in the process was not putting a period and space before the ExtractandPatchEFIiles.sh
This did not work for me so I tried it without and it must have gone through......
- Type a period .
- Insert a space.

I am now in the reboot phase and we will see if it works!
I hope so. I can understand frustration. As I shared, even without errors, I had to repeat the process four times before it worked.

SlappyTown

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
So if it doesn't work the first time what were the steps you repeated?
[automerge]1581735317[/automerge]
I hope so. I can understand frustration. As I shared, even without errors, I had to repeat the process four times before it worked.

So if it doesn't work the first time what were the steps you repeated?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.