Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
I repeated the entire terminal process having no errors, and rebooted four times before the upgrade worked. Another person mentioned it took them three repeats of the terminal process and reboots before their computer finally upgraded to 2,1.

SlappyTown

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
I repeated the entire terminal process having no errors, and rebooted four times before the upgrade worked. Another person mentioned it took them three repeats of the terminal process and reboots before their computer finally upgraded to 2,1.

Sounds good! Wish me luck and Im going to start the process now!
[automerge]1581739874[/automerge]
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.10.28 PM.png

Well Gents, I got lucky and this worked on the first try!
[automerge]1581739998[/automerge]
Long time reader first time poster, Thanks for all the information that everyone has posted but honestly I am lost and pretty confused, hardware not an issue machine is running with 2x 5365 3.0Ghz pretty
well see attached for configuration but Processors are not recognized and I just cannot get the 1,1 to update to 2,1 the RAM disk is being created but on restarting nothing changes.

I have tried several of the methods described and still not getting anywhere

Could one of you kind people please post a step by step for those of us who are maybe a little hard of thinking

Thanks in advance

View attachment 850743 View attachment 850744
From what I have read you have to be in an older OSX like Lion for this to fully work!

Last edited:

MacCandy

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2019
Sounds good! Wish me luck and Im going to start the process now!
[automerge]1581739874[/automerge]
View attachment 894226
Well Gents, I got lucky and this worked on the first try!
[automerge]1581739998[/automerge]

From what I have read you have to be in an older OSX like Lion for this to fully work!
Bravo and congrats to you!

supagiant

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2020
I am running 10.7.5. But I did manage to upgrade my 1,1 to a 2,1 some minutes ago. I will describe it here in case somebody else faces the same issues:

1. Get the Upgrade tool vom netkas.org via Wayback Machine here as @jbarley suggested or get it from somebody directly like @ColEpsi - thanks!
  2. Download the Apple firmware update
  3. Mount the .dmg file
  4. Use the upgrade tool to create the RAM Disk which in my case directly failed after creating the RAM Disk with the error code 5530
  5. Have a look at the content of the upgrade tool and copy the following scripts from /Contents/Resources to the RAM Disk:
    1. ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
    2. UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
    3. DowngradeEFI2007-2006.sh
    4. MacProEFIUpdater2006.patch
    5. MacProEFIUpdater2007.patch
  6. Open ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh with the editor of your choice
  7. Remove the following lines:
    1. Code:
      hdiutil attach -nobrowse MacProEFI2006and2007.dmg
    2. Code:
      rm -R Expanded
    3. Code:
      rm -R System
    4. Code:
      rm Payload
  8. Save the script
  9. Run it with
    Code:
    . /ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
  10. Run the actual upgrade script with sudo rights via
    Code:
    sudo /UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
  11. If everything runs trough without error proceed with the firmware upgrade:
    1. Shut down the Mac
    2. Press and hold the power button until it blinks
    3. Wait for the upgrade to finish
    4. Check the firmware version
    5. Reboot in case it does not detect your CPUs correctly until it does.
That did the trick for me.

Thanks again and cheers,
Robert

>>>UPDATE: 2020-04-22
(EDIT to Entry 11 above)

5. Instead of rebooting through the apple menu just hold down the power switch until it shuts down.

6. Then press and hold the power button until the light flashes and you hear the tone.

7. The dvd/cd trays will eject and you'll see at the apple logo and a loader.

bluevisor

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2007
MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707021221

My Mac Pro had the exact same boot rom. You need to manually modify the patch file with a hex editor:
  • Inside MacProEFIUpdater2006.patch there are 4 strings related to boot rom, look at the 2nd and 4th string, replace with yours. Don’t insert, don’t touch the 1st and 3rd.

castulo3

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
So I tried this, it didn't work. And it isn't going to, there are issues.
I don't think there's an easier way to upgrade to 2,1. But, the good news is that as of 11/5/2019, the 2006-2007 Firmware Upgrade download from Netkas, also located on the first page of this thread, still works with some tweaking. It is not a server or .dmg file problem, as I thought. After 10ish failed attempts, here's how I got it to work with help from HaRoMR and Pmac1687 (I'll explain more for those who are less Mac saavy like myself)...

1. Download the Mac Pro EFI package installer 1.2 directly from Apple support IF you don't already have it installed. Mine was already on my computer in the Utilities folder installed years ago. If already installed, click the Mac Pro EFI package installer 1.2 icon and the file opens onto the dashboard. If downloaded, go to the download folder and click/unzip the package. It MUST BE OPENED on the desktop (not just installed on the computer as I previously thought). Click the package installer box icon and the program opens. It informed me that I did not need it (because it was already installed). Leave it and its error message window open on the dashboard.

2. Download the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade from Netkas or the first page of this thread. Next unzip/double-click and run the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade. It will create a RAM disk on the dashboard. Next, it will try to populate the RAM disk with files, but will fail. Leave it and its error 5530 message windows OPEN ON THE DESKTOP (I'd been closing them).

3. Click Finder/Go/Downloads tabs. Find the 2006-2007 Firmware upgrade in the download list. Right-click the download and select Show Package Files. Click the Contents, then Resources folder. Copy the following scripts from Resources into the RAM Disk on the dashboard and leave the RAM disk window open...

ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
DowngradeEFI2007-2006.sh
MacProEFIUpdater2006.patch
MacProEFIUpdater2007.patch

4. Click/Select the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh file. (As you begin to alter the file contents a message will appear asking if you want to unlock or make a copy of the file...select unlock). Edit the script by deleting SIX CODE LINES (HaRoMR recommends removing the following five code lines):

rm -R Expanded
rm -R System
rm -R Payload

But, I also removed the code line....

Hdiutil detach -nobrowsemacproefi2006and2007.dmg
Except this line doesn't exist, the closest is...
" hdiutil detach '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update/' "
I've tried both with this line left in, and also with it deleted, neither works.

Close the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh window. Then reopen it to verify the changes were made. Close it again.

5. Next, go to the Utilities folder and click/open the Terminal icon...
- Type a period .
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the ExtractandpatchEFIFiles.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- Around this point the Terminal told me that a file already existed and asked me if I wanted to overwrite the file. I typed Y (= yes).
Terminal auto fills in N (= no) without any opportunity to type anything.
But I continued, just on the off chance.

- (Check that no errors are generated e.g., file/directory not found)

- Next type the word... sudo
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- The terminal then requests your password.
- Type the password.

6. Close the error messages of both the MacProEFIpackage installer 1.2 window and the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade window.

7. Leave the Terminal and RAM disk windows open.

8. Formally shutdown the computer using the menu options.

9. Reboot the computer by pressing the power button until the lights begin flashing.

I did this entire procedure four times. It didn't upgrade until the FOURTH TIME. So, as long as you don't get errors when running the two Terminal commands, just keep trying until it works!!!!!!!
Should "just keep trying until it works!!!!!!!" ring alarm bells, or am I just being paranoid?

10. If you upgraded your CPUs prior to upgrading to 2,1 you'll likely need to reboot until the CPUs are recognized in the 'about this Mac' directory. If upgrading CPUs after upgrading to the 2,1 firmware, it should recognize them right away.

11. Faster CPUs, e.g. 3.00ghz will necessitate you download and run the Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1 which contains the SMC firmware to regulate the new fan speed for Mac Pro 2,1 at the following link...

Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1

However, it may already have been installed years ago, as mine was. Check the Utilities folder. I ran/clicked it open again, and received an error message saying it was not necessary because it was already installed.

I hope this helps somebody.
Not here, not on either of the 2 machine's I tried. :(
I have tried it in Leopard, in Snow Leopard and in Lion. The bios is MP11.005C.B08 on both machines, both have the genuine apple 7300GT graphics cards, and no other PCIe cards, I've tried a couple of different ram configurations, and I've tried flashing in safe mode, curiously, neither machine would boot into safe mode in Lion. HDD has been tried in slot 2 and slot 3, in case that's relevant to anyone.
When I tried just running the Firmware Tool it created the RAM disc successfully and then gave me the 5530 error.

Quite frankly I'm coming to the conclusion that despite a lot of people claiming otherwise, this cannot be done, not at home by an average DIYer.
I am dyslexic, reading is not something I find easy, but having spent more than a month reading thru around 100 pages across several forums, plus a couple of other how-to write ups, not to mention watching more how-to videos than I care to remember. None of it works, this machine stubbornly refuses to accept 2.1 bios.
I've run out of thermal grease, and I've ordered some more, when it arrives, this pair of X5365 (SLAED) will be swapped out for the original X5150's. The fan noise is driving me crazy.
In case you are wondering, those X5365's will most likely have an appointment with a sledge hammer. Just at the moment, I am that p155ed off.
This appears to have been nothing but a wholly pointless waste of time and money.
Given the post truth world we live in, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all just a hoax, or just possibly a scam to sell Clovertown processors.

:,(

Last edited:

castulo3

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
So, time for an update...
Found some SLAG9's (Woodcrest, Dual core 5160 3GHz, 65W max, 8W idle) slight speed bump, lower power consumption, all good things.
I installed Mac Pro 3,1 CPU heatsinks, extending the wire on the lower processor by snipping of the cord from a 1.1 heatsink, cutting off the plug from the 3.1 heatsink with the bit of aluminum that sticks out toward the fans, and soldering the wires together.
I used Arctic Silver 5, I reapplied thermal grease to the north bridge, and also the chip under other heatsink, in the PCIe bay, now runs nice and cool, and almost totally silently as well, all is better.
I just wish I could run all the 64GB ram I have for this machine.

Andy_181995

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
So I tried this, it didn't work. And it isn't going to, there are issues.

Except this line doesn't exist, the closest is...
" hdiutil detach '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update/' "
I've tried both with this line left in, and also with it deleted, neither works.

Terminal auto fills in N (= no) without any opportunity to type anything.
But I continued, just on the off chance.

Should "just keep trying until it works!!!!!!!" ring alarm bells, or am I just being paranoid?

Not here, not on either of the 2 machine's I tried. :(
I have tried it in Leopard, in Snow Leopard and in Lion. The bios is MP11.005C.B08 on both machines, both have the genuine apple 7300GT graphics cards, and no other PCIe cards, I've tried a couple of different ram configurations, and I've tried flashing in safe mode, curiously, neither machine would boot into safe mode in Lion. HDD has been tried in slot 2 and slot 3, in case that's relevant to anyone.
When I tried just running the Firmware Tool it created the RAM disc successfully and then gave me the 5530 error.

Quite frankly I'm coming to the conclusion that despite a lot of people claiming otherwise, this cannot be done, not at home by an average DIYer.
I am dyslexic, reading is not something I find easy, but having spent more than a month reading thru around 100 pages across several forums, plus a couple of other how-to write ups, not to mention watching more how-to videos than I care to remember. None of it works, this machine stubbornly refuses to accept 2.1 bios.
I've run out of thermal grease, and I've ordered some more, when it arrives, this pair of X5365 (SLAED) will be swapped out for the original X5150's. The fan noise is driving me crazy.
In case you are wondering, those X5365's will most likely have an appointment with a sledge hammer. Just at the moment, I am that p155ed off.
This appears to have been nothing but a wholly pointless waste of time and money.
Given the post truth world we live in, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all just a hoax, or just possibly a scam to sell Clovertown processors.

:,(

After many attempts and minor adjustments in trying to successfully update I found this video

Which worked a treat.
First time it didn't, but after putting the code in using text writer and using terminal without caps (unlike his instruction) it worked. 2,1 update using snow leopard with the 3.0 ghz quad core processors inside and now recognised. A few issues booting up post update however all seems to be working fine now.
I am a total noob so I don't really know why what this guy done differently works but it does. What a legend.

Reactions: FlorisVN

castulo3

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
[sarcasm]A new video, awesome.[/sarcasm]
I'm not buying another pair of Clovertowns, these SLAG9's work well enough.
It would've been nice to get the full 64GB ram running, but I'm not intersted in wasting any more of my time on this.

Fred O'Brien

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
I don't think there's an easier way to upgrade to 2,1. But, the good news is that as of 11/5/2019, the 2006-2007 Firmware Upgrade download from Netkas, also located on the first page of this thread, still works with some tweaking. It is not a server or .dmg file problem, as I thought. After 10ish failed attempts, here's how I got it to work with help from HaRoMR and Pmac1687 (I'll explain more for those who are less Mac saavy like myself)...

1. Download the Mac Pro EFI package installer 1.2 directly from Apple support IF you don't already have it installed. Mine was already on my computer in the Utilities folder installed years ago. If already installed, click the Mac Pro EFI package installer 1.2 icon and the file opens onto the dashboard. If downloaded, go to the download folder and click/unzip the package. It MUST BE OPENED on the desktop (not just installed on the computer as I previously thought). Click the package installer box icon and the program opens. It informed me that I did not need it (because it was already installed). Leave it and its error message window open on the dashboard.

2. Download the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade from Netkas or the first page of this thread. Next unzip/double-click and run the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade. It will create a RAM disk on the dashboard. Next, it will try to populate the RAM disk with files, but will fail. Leave it and its error 5530 message windows OPEN ON THE DESKTOP (I'd been closing them).

3. Click Finder/Go/Downloads tabs. Find the 2006-2007 Firmware upgrade in the download list. Right-click the download and select Show Package Files. Click the Contents, then Resources folder. Copy the following scripts from Resources into the RAM Disk on the dashboard and leave the RAM disk window open...

ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
DowngradeEFI2007-2006.sh
MacProEFIUpdater2006.patch

MacProEFIUpdater2007.patch

4. Click/Select the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh file. (As you begin to alter the file contents a message will appear asking if you want to unlock or make a copy of the file...select unlock). Edit the script by deleting SIX CODE LINES (HaRoMR recommends removing the following five code lines):

rm -R Expanded
rm -R System
rm -R Payload

But, I also removed the code line....

Hdiutil detach -nobrowsemacproefi2006and2007.dmg

Close the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh window. Then reopen it to verify the changes were made. Close it again.

5. Next, go to the Utilities folder and click/open the Terminal icon...
- Type a period .
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the ExtractandpatchEFIFiles.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- Around this point the Terminal told me that a file already existed and asked me if I wanted to overwrite the file. I typed Y (= yes).

- Next type the word... sudo
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- The terminal then requests your password.
- Type the password.

6. Close the error messages of both the MacProEFIpackage installer 1.2 window and the 2006-2007 firmware upgrade window.

7. Leave the Terminal and RAM disk windows open.

8. Formally shutdown the computer using the menu options.

9. Reboot the computer by pressing the power button until the lights begin flashing.

I did this entire procedure four times. It didn't upgrade until the FOURTH TIME. So, as long as you don't get errors when running the two Terminal commands, just keep trying until it works!!!!!!!

10. If you upgraded your CPUs prior to upgrading to 2,1 you'll likely need to reboot until the CPUs are recognized in the 'about this Mac' directory. If upgrading CPUs after upgrading to the 2,1 firmware, it should recognize them right away.

11. Faster CPUs, e.g. 3.00ghz will necessitate you download and run the Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1 which contains the SMC firmware to regulate the new fan speed for Mac Pro 2,1 at the following link...

Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.1

However, it may already have been installed years ago, as mine was. Check the Utilities folder. I ran/clicked it open again, and received an error message saying it was not necessary because it was already installed.

I hope this helps somebody.
This worked for me 7/14/20. you will know if it will work when there is another folder created on the desktop. After driving myself crazay for days, when i downloaded the updater to the computer DIRECTLY and followed this procedure, i should have checked what the folder was called but didn't (sorry) needless to say it was a locked non-permission folder and restarted. Boom it updated. not to reFIT my way to the SMC update!!!

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
My English is not very good, especially I can't remember such a long text from MacCandy's post. Thus when doing the firmware flash I followed step-by-step the video in #83. It worked like a charm (June 20, 2020)

Last edited:

Yammit

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2020
Hey everyone, first time poster long time lurker. I have come to a standstill while trying to update my firmware on my 2006 MacPro 1,1 wit 2x 2.66 dual core processors, I just received my x5365s today and have been trying since the early morning to get this going. I was attempting to run the firmware updater through 10.11 with no luck and then swapped over to my 10.7.5 install which is where I have tried to use all the work arounds I have come across. I have tried downloading the Apple FW updater, loading that while trying to run the 1,1 to 2,1 updater, have entered all of the correct commands in terminal and it seems all of the correct files are created. I kept seeing a "Locked" file that pertains to my current bios once the . /Volumes/RamDisk/ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh has been run. I started snooping around in the ".patch" file and noticed that my bios build didn't exist anywhere. I tried adding it in and replacing all of the Mp11 files with only mine with still no luck. I also found in the upgrade.sh file that it says firmware2="LOCKED_MP11_005C_08B.fd".

My bios build is:MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707021221
Specs:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Processor): 4 MB
Memory: 32 GB (normally 6dgb)
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10
Serial Number (system): G87164PMUQ2
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2092764

Things that I have tried as to not interfere with the install
Remove Nvida geforce 8800
revert to stock Nvidia geforce 7300
remove ram down to 32gb
remove all other internal drives
remove all external drives
remove rEFIt

After closing all programs and ejecting the Apple FW DMG and shutting the computer down completely I hold down the power button until the light flashes it gives me the long beep tone, get the restart chime, monitors go to sleep and about 5 seconds later I get the restart chime again and it boots back into 10.7. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I would love to breath some new life into this computer for the kids.

Last edited:

Yammit

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2020
I finally got it, had to install 10.6 onto an old drive and follow the directions post by MacCandy on page 2 of this thread. Thanks for sharing your process everyone!

Reactions: Madr

streak8047

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
MacPro 1.1 upgrade shows successful as shown on screenshot,after shutdown hold power button shows blinking it not shows any firmware upgrade ,please advice for the reason of not upgrade,am try with minimum ram also same.

Attachments

• upgrade.jpg
    upgrade.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 162

Madr

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
I finally got it, had to install 10.6 onto an old drive and follow the directions post by MacCandy on page 2 of this thread. Thanks for sharing your process everyone!
Actually this did the trick. I updated to 10.6.8 completly and then the old Netkas trick worked for me. I followed the Mccandy post but the netkas app didn’t crash. I restarted after firmware update because i saw only 1 proc. And boom!

Took me around 10 minutes or so after 10.6.8 was done Installing. Super easy!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Actually this did the trick. I updated to 10.6.8 completly and then the old Netkas trick worked for me. I followed the Mccandy post but the netkas app didn’t crash. I restarted after firmware update because i saw only 1 proc. And boom!

Took me around 10 minutes or so after 10.6.8 was done Installing. Super easy!

Next step is to upgrade the SMC as well.

Madr

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
Next step is to upgrade the SMC as well.
I'm back to 1,1. El Capitan didn't like my memory (i think) and constant restarted. And because i though maybe the 2,1 was causing it i revert back to 1,1 (Don't have new memory and 2,1 cpu's so 2,1 was not really needed) But new memory is on it's way. As is new cpu's. So yes SMC is also the next thing if everything works fine.

Madr

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
Small update: back to 2.1 because the new memory came in. And it works and I could run El Capitan. Also flashed a better then my 7300 gt pc video card. I was soooo happy when i saw the boot screen but next day: green scrambled image. Killed my mood that day.

Funny thing is: i had it running in my pc and hackintosh and would work perfect some months ago. Also in Lion it worked without the boot screen. Anyway i think i killed it with the hardware acceleration of Chrome. The day it worked after flashing i was running 20 tabs in Chrome. I didn't run any other heavy GPU apps. But it's a guess.

And now i have all kinds of temp apps running because i want to know when the card is overheating! I got 2 more video cards 2 flash but have to wait for power cables. I only have one. And not so happy about the last flashed card dying on me. So i will hold it off a bit until i get some cheap spares.

Anyway i'm way off topic. Should start my own topic. Sorry for this.

silegnav

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
I've been wrestling with this FW update for several days now and feel as though I've exhausted all possible solutions offered in this thread and on Netkas' thread Here. I'm having the same issue that Bidzer on p. 34 post #3 describes. After successfully running the firmware tool, (I don't get either a 5350 or 5370 error) I reboot, hold down the power button and enter the firmware screen. Then it appears for a flash but quits and the computer reboots again back into MacOS. Following Bidzer's suggestion, followed Hrutkay Mod's Video and successfully updated the SMC version to 1.15f3.
Next, I ran through the steps posted by MacCandy on page 2 of this thread at least a dozen times.

I'm able to edit the shell script, although I have never been prompted to "unlock" the file. The terminal commands all complete without any unusual errors, but upon reboot and entering the firmware updater, I have the same issue where it quits right away.

I'm running a Mac Pro 1,1 with two upgraded quad-core Xeon 5365 CPUs, two original 1GB sticks of RAM, original Geforce 8800 GT video card, OS X 10.6.8, Boot ROM MP11.005C.B08. All internal drives and PCI cards have been removed, and I've tried resetting PRAM and SMC with no luck. I'm banging my head against a wall here. Anyone have any ideas here? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2021-01-16 at 5.04.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2021-01-16 at 5.04.22 PM.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen shot 2021-01-16 at 5.54.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2021-01-16 at 5.54.56 PM.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Small update: back to 2.1 because the new memory came in. And it works and I could run El Capitan. Also flashed a better then my 7300 gt pc video card. I was soooo happy when i saw the boot screen but next day: green scrambled image. Killed my mood that day.

Funny thing is: i had it running in my pc and hackintosh and would work perfect some months ago. Also in Lion it worked without the boot screen. Anyway i think i killed it with the hardware acceleration of Chrome. The day it worked after flashing i was running 20 tabs in Chrome. I didn't run any other heavy GPU apps. But it's a guess.

And now i have all kinds of temp apps running because i want to know when the card is overheating! I got 2 more video cards 2 flash but have to wait for power cables. I only have one. And not so happy about the last flashed card dying on me. So i will hold it off a bit until i get some cheap spares.

Anyway i'm way off topic. Should start my own topic. Sorry for this.

Keep the 7300GT some where safe, you may need it in the future when you need to see the boot screen.
Buy a not-so-new PC card, it may work out of box on OSX Lion and El Capitan, just no boot screen.
I have a Gigabyte ATI HD6670 2GB, and it just work plug-and-play. No need to flash anything.
I flashed the Gigabyte GTX680 2GB OC, too, but still no boot screen. It turns out that a flashed GTX680 only gives boot screen on native 64-bit EFI MP like 3,1 or 4,1/5,1.

Madr

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
Keep the 7300GT some where safe, you may need it in the future when you need to see the boot screen.
Buy a not-so-new PC card, it may work out of box on OSX Lion and El Capitan, just no boot screen.
I have a Gigabyte ATI HD6670 2GB, and it just work plug-and-play. No need to flash anything.
I flashed the Gigabyte GTX680 2GB OC, too, but still no boot screen. It turns out that a flashed GTX680 only gives boot screen on native 64-bit EFI MP like 3,1 or 4,1/5,1.
100% ... i need bootscreens in case of trouble. Also i think why the card died. But keep it a secret for now. And i found a 5 euro mac card that should be dead but isn't. I am so happy with it but I took it out. Cause my power cables came and now 1 run a pc card it. Which is less power but i just need to run el capitan for logic. So the mac card is more valuable to me as spare. Also i run some other tricks to keep this running card alive.

Tried to revive the dead card with a hair blower outside. But didn't work. Too cold outside and the hair dryer is only 1200 watt. Tried it again inside and with another 1k blower on the other side but haven't tested it. And yes i'm after better mac pro's but i stil have to do 2 cpu upgrades (also need a another cheap 1.1) and memory i got here.

So i keep my bids low. No need for it right now. And i payed 25 euro for the mac pro 1.1 in top condition. Which i would buy for again but none available for that price right now. Although this 1.1 was listed for more than a month and no sale but me. Anyway no hurry for new 1.1's or better. They will pop up again. I just have to wait and yes i got some new videocards i want cheaply too but same story. No hurry.

And haven't touched the 1.1 that much. It runs el cap + logic now and i need to do simple stuff. Not stuff that's takes away 2 days like with videocard flashing, dying,bad mood etc. So taxes it is but i'll test the 'may revived' card later. And i have some other mac tricks up my sleeve ;)

Madr

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
Got another 1,1. Installed one of 2 the pair of the 55's cpu's i got and did firmware and smc update. My cpu core temps are around 50 to 60 degrees celsius in El capitan when doing not much. Which i find a bit high. Although heatsinks are around nicely 20/25 degrees. Searched the web a bit but due to all those different temp programs, i think some people use different numbers. Although i found an apple tread that says it's nothing to worry about. And these should handle up to 100 degrees max. Although online the 55's are rated for 65 degrees i think. Which i think are not core temps. But that's an assumption but i've seen people run those cpu's much hotter. Even on idle ( but were worried about the temps though) Anyway El Capitan could also be a factor.

Anyway i'm gonna check what the temps are in my old 1,1 because they run on the old processors. And maybe put the other 55's in there and see if i can get lower temps. I didn't do the 'massage the paste into the cpu' preparation some people on youtube did. Just a good clean and 2 rows of paste on the cpu's so every core is covert. Also not sure if 1 of my 55's is a matched pair. I think the same stepping but text and 1 number is different on the cpu's. And geekbecnh 3 shows less cpu info than others i find only

And gonna try if a cheap pci express to pci raiser works. I got an old uad1 card. Will use the old system for that with as less things installed. That's gonna be tricky. But if it's works i can get another one and build a sort of DIY Magma rack. Although i think I want the cards somewhere inside. Maybe i can use the space where the DVD drives are. But first see if i can use them at all.

Also migrated my old 10.5.8 logic g5 disk with my audio recordings. Let see if i can open these up after i got a uad1 card running.

Also thinking about a raid zero ssd boot setup. I got 2 older Samsungs 830's that can do 500mb read and 230mb write or something like that. I got newer ones that can do 500mb back and forth but they are useless at running that speed as sata2 is limited. Also thinking about using the 2 extra sata ports for that. And also put those 2 small sdd's somewhere inside while i can still use the pci raisers too. That will be tricky.

Last thing ( maybe i should open a new topic about it) But i've see this guy using different rams slots than advised on the inside of the door of the mac pro. I think he uses 3 and 4 and 7 and 8 instead of starting with 1 and 2 on board a. If i'm correct. But you can see it here around 50 seconds in.

I rather use those slots because for heat i think it's better to stay away from the logic board as far as possible. Slots 3 and 4, 7 and 8 are also closer to the opening so there should be more ventilation there.

I have searched in google but nothing comes up. I will try to search here in the forum to see if people talked about this already.

Madr

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
I think TG pro is giving wrong cpu temp numbers. Cpu a and b die 1 are at 67/69 degrees Celsius but when i check Macs fan control it says: cpu a and b core 0 temp is around 32/30 degrees Celsius. Which i think is much more real. Or i hope.

Also pci to pci express bracket worked in my old Mac pro with old cpu’s. But that was Lion.

Now going to try on the new cpu machine and el capitan. Hope it works there too.

Zlobnick

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2016
Croatia
Hi all,

I just picked up a MacPro1,1 today (99p on eBay!) and I've spent hours going round and round failing to do this update. A YouTube comment saved me in the end - use the tool on Page 13 of the update tool thread - Mac Pro 2006-2007 Firmware Tool Released (netkas.org) and it worked first time (I am on Lion 10.7.5 at the moment).

Cheers,
Steve

Wooo, thanks dude! I've been struggling with this update for a few days with no sucess. After trying your suggestion it worked on the first attempt. THANKS A LOT! :)

Reactions: SteveC00ps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.