Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subfly

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Hallo,
thanks to all comments here, I managed to upgrade a MacPro 1.1 to 2.1 with the original dual cores and 26GB RAM, but...

Yesterday I received two X3565 and installed them. Since then:

First, it boots on a 10.6.8 HD unless I hold option to choose the El Capitan disk, it does not show that HD among the bootable one, after starting in El Capitan, sometimes it sticks sometimes not.

Sometimes it starts running max fans, need to reset SMC.

Under Lion it shows all 26GB of RAM I installed (4x4 on Riser A, 2x4 and 2x1 in B), while under Lion and El Capitan often shows only 22, taking two of the 4GB in riser A as 2GB (but I think I have seen also 26 on El Capitan when I first installed the RAM).

Recently I noticed Riser A RAM reaching up to 100 degrees, so I stopped and reseated, now it sees one in two Slots, totalling 13GB with 80 degrees in slot 1.

Also, there is a difference of around 10 degrees between the two processors. I ammoretti sure I spread well the thermoconductive last on both, I don’t remember the temperatures before the upgrade.

I thought the SMC upgrade was done when not yet 8 core, but now the utility says no upgrade is needed...
ditto for EFI. How can I force the upgrade to the 8 core firmwares? I hope this is what is needed, but thanks in advance for any ideas on causes and solutions of the different issues.

subfly

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Running it with the open lid I just noticed that there was one red light next to DIMM3 in the top riser.

I swapped the risers, now I have all four red lights on the top riser (forme bottom one) and does not see any of the DIMMs there (it says empty).

I tried with more swaps. Finally I get no lights with all 6 x 4 GB and no 1GB DIMMS, and also El Capitan sees 24GB, the DIMMS are still around 70-80 degrees

Last edited:

Zlobnick

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2016
Croatia
El Capitan has stability issues when using 1 GB DIMMs anyway so you're better without them, as described in this video :)

Madr

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
Running it with the open lid I just noticed that there was one red light next to DIMM3 in the top riser.

I swapped the risers, now I have all four red lights on the top riser (forme bottom one) and does not see any of the DIMMs there (it says empty).

I tried with more swaps. Finally I get no lights with all 6 x 4 GB and no 1GB DIMMS, and also El Capitan sees 24GB, the DIMMS are still around 70-80 degrees
Yes the 1 gb dims don't work in El Capitan like the video shows.

And 100 degrees fahrenheit you mean right?

Normally if you have the right ram you should get around 50 degrees C.

Also close the side of the mac pro. You need airflow to be perfect. This machine wasn't build to stay open.

Anyway see the video's about smc and efi update and where in System report you can find the info which SMC and efi you are using now. If it was already updated before you bought it, you should see that in the system report.

quattro4ever

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Poland
I am running 10.7.5. But I did manage to upgrade my 1,1 to a 2,1 some minutes ago. I will describe it here in case somebody else faces the same issues:

1. Get the Upgrade tool vom netkas.org via Wayback Machine here as @jbarley suggested or get it from somebody directly like @ColEpsi - thanks!
  2. Download the Apple firmware update
  3. Mount the .dmg file
  4. Use the upgrade tool to create the RAM Disk which in my case directly failed after creating the RAM Disk with the error code 5530
  5. Have a look at the content of the upgrade tool and copy the following scripts from /Contents/Resources to the RAM Disk:
    1. ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
    2. UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
    3. DowngradeEFI2007-2006.sh
    4. MacProEFIUpdater2006.patch
    5. MacProEFIUpdater2007.patch
  6. Open ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh with the editor of your choice
  7. Remove the following lines:
    1. Code:
      hdiutil attach -nobrowse MacProEFI2006and2007.dmg
    2. Code:
      rm -R Expanded
    3. Code:
      rm -R System
    4. Code:
      rm Payload
  8. Save the script
  9. Run it with
    Code:
    ./ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
  10. Run the actual upgrade script with sudo rights via
    Code:
    sudo ./UpgradeEFI2006-2007.sh
  11. If everything runs trough without error proceed with the firmware upgrade:
    1. Shut down the Mac
    2. Press and hold the power button until it blinks
    3. Wait for the upgrade to finish
    4. Check the firmware version
    5. Reboot in case it does not detect your CPUs correctly until it does.
That did the trick for me.

Thanks again and cheers,
Robert
11-2022 and still works
thank you very much

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
To clarify only after weeks of failed attempts following various methods from netkas and elsewhere I was only able to succeed after figuring out that I needed to edit out both the line first mentioned above that says “attach” and after attempting the previously mentioned method and failing I concluded that I needed to also edit the line from the script started diskutils “detach” and once I did that I was successful and as to the netkas link being outdated from what I have gathered the reason the tool didn’t work for me was because of a registry issue where the upgrade tool isn’t compatible with my particular firmware version causing the “5530 error” when downloading, to put it plainly I used the link From the original netkas forum after searching it up on google and same with the 1.2 update which I got from the Apple website my success was achieved October 2019
"outdated from what I have gathered the reason the tool didn’t work for me was because of a registry issue where the upgrade tool isn’t compatible with my particular firmware version causing the “5530 error”"

what registry issue?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
This worked for me 7/14/20. you will know if it will work when there is another folder created on the desktop. After driving myself crazay for days, when i downloaded the updater to the computer DIRECTLY and followed this procedure, i should have checked what the folder was called but didn't (sorry) needless to say it was a locked non-permission folder and restarted. Boom it updated. not to reFIT my way to the SMC update!!!
"another folder created on the desktop." - what folder?

"it was a locked non-permission folder and restarted." - so you unlocked it? restarted?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Yes, El Capitan is fine. But I have High Sierra right now and I cant get past the following steps because it says the file doesn't exist.

5. Next, go to the Utilities folder and click/open the Terminal icon...
- Type a period .
- Insert a space.
- Drag and drop the ExtractandpatchEFIFiles.sh file into the terminal.
- Click the return key.
- Around this point the Terminal told me that a file already existed and asked me if I wanted to overwrite the file. I typed Y (= yes).
- (Check that no errors are generated e.g., file/directory not found)

This is what mine says after I follow these steps:

Lexs-Mac-Pro:~ Lex$ . /Volumes/RamDisk/ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh
cp: /Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Updater/MacProFirmwareUpdate.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz: No such file or directory
gzip: Archive.pax.gz: No such file or directory
pax: Failed open to read on Archive.pax <No such file or directory>
mkdir: MacProEFI2007-2006: File exists
mkdir: MacProEFI2006-2007: File exists
cp: Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/EFIUpdaterApp2.efi: No such file or directory
cp: Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/LOCKED_MP21_007F_06B.fd: No such file or directory
cp: Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi: No such file or directory
cp: Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/LOCKED_MP11_005C_08B.fd: No such file or directory
patch: **** Can't find file MacProEFI2006-2007/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi : No such file or directory
patch: **** Can't find file MacProEFI2007-2006/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi : No such file or directory
Lexs-Mac-Pro:RamDisk Lex$
Lexs-Mac-Pro:RamDisk Lex$
so what did you do with the error messages "no such file or directory"?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
hi. after weeks of trying to update from MacPro1,1 to 2,1, i finally was able to update the firmware (Mac OS X 10.7.5).

as i found out, the firmware tool and/or firmware update software that can be downloaded in these forums, were somehow corrupted.

i am attaching the firmware tool and firmware update software, that worked for me.

i am also including this downloaded video from youtube, that worked for me.

i hope this helps others too.

edit: somehow i cannot upload the firmware update file. it is a .dmg file. if anybody knows what the problem is, please tell me so i can upload it (if it is even permitted here). the firmware update file that worked for me has a file size of 2.939.532 bytes.

Attachments

• MacPro2006-2007FirmwareTool.zip
    131.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Latinthomas

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2024
Hi,
I followed every step and at the end terminal asks me for my password, but i can't type it. My computer is a MacPro 1,1 running 10.6.8, does someone knows what can i do? thanks in advanced.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Hi,
I followed every step and at the end terminal asks me for my password, but i can't type it. My computer is a MacPro 1,1 running 10.6.8, does someone knows what can i do? thanks in advanced.
You wont see it as you type For security reasons when you give a password in Terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.