Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What type of Macbook are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pcgeek12345

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
New Jersey
Hello everyone. I have been following this thread with interest and sympathise with everyone who has been suffering these problems. Has anyone considered other factors such as 'dirty mains' / 'dirty power'? There are many external factors that can cause computers to exhibit these issues such as electricity spikes caused by heating boilers switching and fridge freezers, washing machines and kettles. There are also many threads on the web about mobile phones causing these crashes or even wi-fi routers being placed too close to the computer. There are many things to try and eliminate all the potential causes. You could purchase a mains spike counter or mains filter. Dirty mains can be caused inside the home and can come directly from the PowerStation. I feel your pain and just think that there is more some people could do other than wait for the magic OSX update that may never come. It has got to be worth getting a mains power filter as a start.

How would it be a power issue? It happens regardless of being plugged into the wall or on battery. Seeing as how it started with 10.11.4, do you think all these people's power got dirty at the same time?

Reactions: dmnc

Tricon

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
How would it be a power issue? It happens regardless of being plugged into the wall or on battery. Seeing as how it started with 10.11.4, do you think all these people's power got dirty at the same time?

Yes it could still be a power issue even on battery. Dirty mains caused by motors inside fridge freezers and heating systems emit Electro Magnetic Radiation (EMC) in the form of a spike through the air. They may live next to a power sub-station or have electricity supply lines near their house. There are also threads on the web about crashes when mobile phones are placed in certain positions near the computer. Phones up there output power in low signal areas and that could compound the issue. OSX .4 could be coincident with something else happening in some cases and some people had crashed before .4

logic board replacement hasn't helped some people solve the issue so that leads me to believe that there MAY be some external factors. I am sure there was a problem with OSX and the .5 might have fixed this for many people but for the others who are still suffering it could be external factors. Who knows? worth a try? just saying....

If anyone makes any progress please post.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Yes it could still be a power issue even on battery. Dirty mains caused by motors inside fridge freezers and heating systems emit Electro Magnetic Radiation (EMC) in the form of a spike through the air. They may live next to a power sub-station or have electricity supply lines near their house. There are also threads on the web about crashes when mobile phones are placed in certain positions near the computer. Phones up there output power in low signal areas and that could compound the issue. OSX .4 could be coincident with something else happening in some cases and some people had crashed before .4

logic board replacement hasn't helped some people solve the issue so that leads me to believe that there MAY be some external factors. I am sure there was a problem with OSX and the .5 might have fixed this for many people but for the others who are still suffering it could be external factors. Who knows? worth a try? just saying....

This can't be a power issue that you describe: too many people had the freeze when doing similar gpu intensive things. Must be a hell of coincidence.

christine85

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
Ft Lauderdale, FL
I saw this on the front page and maybe this explains my issues with my mid 2011 iMac. It started last week when the computer gets really hot from being in use for 2+ hours. I heard a buzzing noise coming from the right side once. When it gets hot, the computer gets really slow even though the CPU is normal, then I get the rainbow colored ball and it's frozen. My mouse does work but cannot click anything. It happens when i'm doing normal computing -- email, web browsing, music. When it froze around 3+ hours watching a YouTube video, the video kept playing, but the rest of the computer was frozen with the rainbow colored ball and the top right disappearing. (clock, log in name) The only way out was a force shut down and reboot and everything acts normal again. It's at shop now since everything I was looking for online kept directing me to the fans. The tech guy ran diagnostics and everything came up normal but the computer was booted cold so he's going to run it for a few hours to replicate the issue and then run diagnostics. I will give him a call on Monday with this and see if it's related to El Capitan

I received my iMac today and he told me everything was fine but can be related to two things - my external hard drive that I use for Time Machine or my RAM that I upgraded to in January (Crucial, 16 GB total) might cause the freezing. I'm not going to download the update and see if it could be my external hard drive failing. I've unplugged my external drive from my computer and see what happens for a few days. He ran all the diagnostics and he said the only thing that was flagged was my RAM because it's aftermarket.

Voenix Rising

macrumors member
May 1, 2013
It's still happening with the official release of 10.11.5. Fans randomly go into overdrive, beachball appears, and system becomes totally unresponsive. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to what I'm doing or what apps are open when this occurs.

vespafriend

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
It's still happening with the official release of 10.11.5. Fans randomly go into overdrive, beachball appears, and system becomes totally unresponsive. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to what I'm doing or what apps are open when this occurs.
Do you have a 2015 13" Macbook pro?

TobiasJW

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Has anyone tried the Apple Diagnostics/Hardware Test? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

I get the error code PPT004:
The battery requires service. The battery is not functioning normally, though you may not notice a change in its behavior or the amount of charge it holds. You can continue to use your battery before it’s checked without harming your computer.

Maybe it is an power issue.

vespafriend

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
Has anyone tried the Apple Diagnostics/Hardware Test? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

I get the error code PPT004:
The battery requires service. The battery is not functioning normally, though you may not notice a change in its behavior or the amount of charge it holds. You can continue to use your battery before it’s checked without harming your computer.

Maybe it is an power issue.
I get that error too on my 2015 13" macbook pro. Try the Apple Diagnostics pressing alt+d and you'll notice that no problems are detected. It is a false positive...just ignore it. For sure it has nothing to do with the freeze issue we are talking about in this thread because I got a logic board replacement in order to solve the freeze issue (but, this is important, I experienced two freezes even after the replacement) and they said nothing about the battery.

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015

If there was a EMC I would have notice before updating to 10.11.4. There's no need for such complex explanations: there's a problem with the OS. In my particular case, it seems solved so far in 10.11.5. As Antonn said there's no beachball nor slowness of the OS prior the freeze, it just happens. The most plausible cause is that people are experiencing similar issues, but not exactly the same.

Tricon

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
If there was a EMC I would have notice before updating to 10.11.4. There's no need for such complex explanations: there's a problem with the OS. In my particular case, it seems solved so far in 10.11.5. As Antonn said there's no beachball nor slowness of the OS prior the freeze, it just happens. The most plausible cause is that people are experiencing similar issues, but not exactly the same.

I hope the issue is fixed for you and if that is the case then there was indeed an issue with 10.11.4 as suspected. However, it seems others are still suffering this or similar issues. Therefore the concerns expressed in this thread are more complex. So much so that even Apple seems not to be able to resolve quickly or at all.

For those who haven't tried this, to rule out external environmental factors (see my earlier post) try taking the computer somewhere else such as a friends house or the office and the middle of a field! Just to rule out interference and dare I say EMC. Also, test if the issues are influenced by ambient temperature. Also test with and without external devices. A hardware fault may be responcible for those who haven't had this checked.

StefanDesu

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016

I had these freezes happening to me on 10.11.4 and they stopped after going back to 10.11.3, even though I'm using the same power, same software, same everything. Also, what weird coincidence would it be that suddenly a lot of people have this happening after updating to 10.11.4.

Reactions: dmnc

Dr. James

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Ecuador
Still no fixes here with 10.11.5...

James, are you saying that you are still having this issue in 10.11.5 build number (15F34)?
You've been here since the beginning pretty much, I've seen so many people confirming this was fixed both here and over at the apple forums.
Do you have the 15'' or the 13''? Just checked the votes, you have the 13''.
Does the issue manifest in the same exact way as the videos or did it change?

Oh, God! I can't believe I wrote that! I mean still no freezes here with 10.11.5! I was half-asleep when I wrote it.

So yes, the problem has not appeared again. Why did you remove the "RESOLVED" from the title? Did the problem appear again for you?

PS. Sorry again for the misunderstanding

Antonnn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2016
Oh, God! I can't believe I wrote that! I mean still no freezes here with 10.11.5! I was half-asleep when I wrote it.

Why did you remove the "RESOLVED" from the title? Did the problem appear again for you?
Well I kind of freaked out when you posted that )
I removed RESOLVED from the title because it looks like this thread has turned into a general thread for freezes in El Capitan, I don't mind it, I'll leave it like this for a while until I get more confirmation from you guys plus everyone that posted videos ( linked in post #1, I'd add more but the limit is 5) that the original issue has been fixed.

Also for everyone that wants to watch all the videos, here is a lazy link with all of them. You can see that there are at least 3 separate issues discussed.

OP added this to the original post. Could you elaborate on that? but I might try to update to 10.11.5 now...
You are still on 10.11.4

Last edited:

daveariordan

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2016
STILL no freeze since updating Monday morning to 11.5 with 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina early 2015. Good sign.

Last edited:

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Lets get a recap - the issue was reported on here almost as soon as the 10.11.4 was released then there was over 1 1/2 months of 'radio silence' from Macrumors then suddenly Macrumors FINALLY starts to talk about this issue after thousands of posts on Apple Discussion and this forum - 10.11.5 is released and only partially fixes some of the problem. I look at the latest post from the editors and it seems that Apple is focusing on crap like Siri on the desktop rather than nailing down the fundamentals. The likes of John Gruber then come out and claim that the 'Apple is rotting' is a load of rubbish. Seeing how this has unfolded it basically re-enforces my decision to leave the platform rather than giving me a moment to pause and reflect.

Antonnn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2016
Freezes still exist on my MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015, 10.11.5.

Sadly, my 8 year old Asus notebook with Windows 7 runs more stable:cool:
Could you please provide some details please?
Did the freeze change in any way or is it exactly the same?
Finally, is it exactly the same as described in #1 and the videos attached there?

Thanks for clarifying.

ronoman

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
Updated to 10.11.5 2 days ago. Had another freeze up with Safari today. So, this update didn't work for my mid-2012 MBP.

Reactions: AsprineTm

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Lets get a recap - the issue was reported on here almost as soon as the 10.11.4 was released
The issue was first reported in january during the betatesting of 10.11.4, almost 2 month before the release of the GA version, so 2 month of complains to Apple that did not listen to all the beta-testers and released 10.11.4 anyway, thats the frustrating part, which resulted in the issue affected the general public too

Antonnn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2016
Guys if you are posting here for the first time, don't just call it "a freeze", give us more details.
That helps us track the issue/issues and the devs if someone ends up reading your messages.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ako323

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
Macbook Pro 13'' Retina Early 2015.
Had the issue described in the first post.
Upgraded to 10.11.5.
So far no more freezes. They were happening every 2 days previously, but now, everything seems back to where it should be.

Reactions: dmnc and Antonnn

vespafriend

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
Macbook Pro 13" Retina Early 2015
I had the issue (exactly as described in the first post) several times with 10.11.4. I went to the Apple Store and I got a logic board replacement. After the replacement the computer froze one more time with 10.11.4 (obviously).
I updated to 10.11.5 immediately. Still no problems.

Reactions: dmnc and Antonnn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.