Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What type of Macbook are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. James

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Ecuador
After no freezes with 10.11.5, I had one other, different issue just now: when waking up my Mac, the login screen didn't register my keystrokes, and the beach ball of death followed. I could not click, just move the mouse. I couldn't enter keys. I had to do a hard reset. So, 10.11.5 may have fixed something, but it broke another thing.

I wonder if a clean install solves this. But then again, do we have to do a clean install for every point release? Is this a joke?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
The issue was first reported in january during the betatesting of 10.11.4, almost 2 month before the release of the GA version, so 2 month of complains to Apple that did not listen to all the beta-testers and released 10.11.4 anyway, thats the frustrating part, which resulted in the issue affected the general public too

Damn, that makes the situation even worse. As time goes along it further re-enforces the narrative of OS X rot not to mention the larger hypothesis that Apple wants to kill of OS X in favour of a dumb downed devices under the iOS banner given how promptly they are to address iOS issues as they arise but complete radio silence when it comes to high profile OS X issues.

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Yeh after initially getting freezes on .5 the first day after updating, I did a PRAM reset and haven't had one in two days. Hoping its fixed.

alphadog808

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2015
Could you please provide some details please?
Did the freeze change in any way or is it exactly the same?
Finally, is it exactly the same as described in #1 and the videos attached there?

Thanks for clarifying.

Happened to me just now but not exactly the same freeze as the video. mouse and force touch trackpad still worked but nothing responded.

akkers

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2015
I updated my rMacBook pro mid-2014 13inch to 10.11.5 yesterday and so far no freezes.
I used Safari and Youtube extensively as that caused freezing in 10.11.4. Also ran dual view with Word and Safari side by side.
I reset my NVRAM after updating as suggested by someone in one of the forums.

Catxmac

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2016
Guys if you are posting here for the first time, don't just call it "a freeze", give us more details.
That helps us track the issue/issues and the devs if someone ends up reading your messages.

Thanks.

Right. I am pretty sure I had the same issue as you describe. Freeze meaning no beachball, no response whatsoever to input. No change on what the screen was showing. Closing the lid did absolutely nothing. The backlight on the LCD would stay on. The force touchpad would not make a click sound. For me it happened in Safari while going to a CNN website with an embedded video.

Since that last time, I just closed the lid and some time later I opened it and the login screen was there where I could log in and the system said it recovered from a serious error. I also thought iCloud could have been a factor ... (safari updates all devices with your browsing history..), so I logged out. For two weeks I have had no problems again. I have deliberately not updated to 10.11.5 and logged back into iCloud to see if the problem happens again. So far it has not.

Was your system freezing pretty often? ..and then after updating to 10.11.5 it has not frozen once now?

akkers

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2015
I updated my rMacBook pro mid-2014 13inch to 10.11.5 yesterday and so far no freezes.
I used Safari and Youtube extensively as that caused freezing in 10.11.4. Also ran dual view with Word and Safari side by side.
I reset my NVRAM after updating as suggested by someone in one of the forums.

Sorry - freeze in my case was also as described by @Catxmac , no response to input, closing lid didnt do anything. System used to freeze for 15-20 seconds and once or twice froze for longer so i had to hard power down.

Aa i mention, since i update to 10.11.5 the freeze has not occured.

Reactions: Antonnn

Osho

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016
Sweden
After no freezes with 10.11.5, I had one other, different issue just now: when waking up my Mac, the login screen didn't register my keystrokes, and the beach ball of death followed. I could not click, just move the mouse. I couldn't enter keys. I had to do a hard reset. So, 10.11.5 may have fixed something, but it broke another thing.

Looks like you have the same problem i described a couple of pages up-thread...

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ead-the-details.1963711/page-24#post-22904277

Antonnn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2016
Right. I am pretty sure I had the same issue as you describe. Freeze meaning no beachball, no response whatsoever to input. No change on what the screen was showing. Closing the lid did absolutely nothing. The backlight on the LCD would stay on. The force touchpad would not make a click sound. For me it happened in Safari while going to a CNN website with an embedded video.

Since that last time, I just closed the lid and some time later I opened it and the login screen was there where I could log in and the system said it recovered from a serious error. I also thought iCloud could have been a factor ... (safari updates all devices with your browsing history..), so I logged out. For two weeks I have had no problems again. I have deliberately not updated to 10.11.5 and logged back into iCloud to see if the problem happens again. So far it has not.

Was your system freezing pretty often? ..and then after updating to 10.11.5 it has not frozen once now?

That's correct, no more freezes.
I don't think iCloud was the issue. From your earlier post, you said apple replaced your macbook and the new one didn't freeze on you. There are rMBP 13 2015 that never experienced this freeze so it's very likely that your new machine is freeze free.

After no freezes with 10.11.5, I had one other, different issue just now: when waking up my Mac, the login screen didn't register my keystrokes, and the beach ball of death followed.
Have you experienced this again or was it a one time thing?

Last edited:

TheNet

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2016
I was experiencing crashing on 10.11.4. I updated to 10.11.5 when it was released. Up until now 10.11.5 has been fine. I just had a crash with the same symptoms as the 10.11.4 crash: trackpad freezes, etc, etc.

rMBP 2015. 10.11.5

zandorf

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
I have not had a system wide freeze with 10.11.4, but I would get a system-slowdown with distnoted running 300% CPU about once a day. I updated to 10.11.5, and now my system locks up solid requiring a power-button hold restart. Yay big improvement! (late 2012 iMac).

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I have not had a system wide freeze with 10.11.4, but I would get a system-slowdown with distnoted running 300% CPU about once a day. I updated to 10.11.5, and now my system locks up solid requiring a power-button hold restart. Yay big improvement! (late 2012 iMac).

Try the usual stuff like SMC and PRAM resets and installing the combo update.

GiveMeAnthony

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Earth
So glad this issue got resolved. Although, it annoys me that they chose to silently update. They did include some information on Intel Graphics and AppleGraphicsControl in their security update though. So, was this just a security issue? If so, who or what executed code with kernel level privileges to cause system freezes?

PeterjMcM

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
So glad this issue got resolved. Although, it annoys me that they chose to silently update. They did include some information on Intel Graphics and AppleGraphicsControl in their security update though. So, was this just a security issue? If so, who or what executed code with kernel level privileges to cause system freezes?

I don't know if the issue got resolved, but i really think the security update does nothing to do with the freezes, it's just that.. Security update.

GiveMeAnthony

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Earth
I don't know if the issue got resolved, but i really think the security update does nothing to do with the freezes, it's just that.. Security update.
I was thinking maybe a widespread virus had gone unnoticed. People still say Macs don't get virus', but if they really could never get a virus, then why would there be a need for security updates?

PeterjMcM

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
I was thinking maybe a widespread virus had gone unnoticed. People still say Macs don't get virus', but if they really could never get a virus, then why would there be a need for security updates?
Well, quite the reverse, they never get viruses because there are security updates.

On the other hand, your Macbook can definitely be infected with malware, still harder getting infected but it's out there.

Since OSX it's based on Unix, its 'File System Permission' it's way better than the windows one, being harder to scale.

Reactions: Antonnn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.