Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What type of Macbook are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jefftsai

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2016
updated to os x 10.11.6 public beta, imac retina 27inch 5k late 2015 still have the system wide freezing issue occurring. It froze completely with mouse unusable and the whole mac is froze suddenly with the whole system becoming unresponsive, it restarts itself after a few seconds. Still the same symptoms since os x 10.11.4...triggered by either using chrome, video watching especially, using itunes.

Reactions: AsprineTm

Joobs333

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2016
So I've been on 10.11.5 for a week with mid 2015 macbook air 13, complete freeze symptoms from 10.11.4 have subsided, but, I do get beachballs in safari more than I got them in 10.11.3, seems like an OS/safari bug.

Reactions: OldGreyGuy

ponderatul

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
Just made an account to say this:

I updated to 10.11.5 and all went well for a few days, until it crashed. Same as before. Everything froze cannot move mouse or anything.

Hope we don't brush off this issue as being solved as it clearly isn't.

Reactions: PeterjMcM

tomtony17

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
I just got this problem yesterday. Using a macbook pro retina 13 late 2013 running on 10.11.5. Never had an issue with freezing mac until 10.11.5. Talked to apple support, they claim its one of my app misbehaving when all was fine till the recent update. However, my cursor still moves when it freezes and after 30 seconds of the freeze, my mac works again but it gets really laggy. It happened twice, yesterday and today, both times on safari. Apple has really become a big blunder, first i had an issue with yosemite wifi bug that almost lasted 2 months. Now this and the worst thing is that its never apple's fault. It my fault for choosing a mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: akkers

bishabosha

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
I updated to 10.11.5 and as soon as it booted again neither the trackpad or keyboard would work at the login screen with the haptic feedback disabled, however using a blutooth keyboard i could log in and then it restored the trackpad haptic feedback, pointer and keyboard

PeterjMcM

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
I just got this problem yesterday. Using a macbook pro retina 13 late 2013 running on 10.11.5. Never had an issue with freezing mac until 10.11.5. Talked to apple support, they claim its one of my app misbehaving when all was fine till the recent update. However, my cursor still moves when it freezes and after 30 seconds of the freeze, my mac works again but it gets really laggy. It happened twice, yesterday and today, both times on safari. Apple is really become a big blunder, first i had an issue with yosemite wifi bug that almost lasted 2 months. Now this and the worst thing is that its never apple's fault. It my fault for choosing a mac.

Do you use ublock or so?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I can confirm the hangs are still happening on the latest build.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 (15F34)

I tried to whip my camera out in time to catch the behavior but it eventually recovered. Watching some videos (no flash installed) and the system stopped responding to mouse input & same with trackpad gestures. As the norm, I can still "hear" the computer is working because voices though teamspeak continue to come through the speakers. After an unspecified amount of time the system will recover. All the mouse clicks and gestures play out as if they had been buffered.

Grimsy

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2016
What type of system do you have?

Macbook pro 13 Retina 2015.
The issue is not resolved at all.
Was in my 10.11.3 backup, updated to 10.11.5 combo, and the next day, it froze with Safari on Youtube.
So back to 10.11.3 again.

If the problem still happened with the latest beta, Apple did not fix it the final release.
Didn't try the .6 beta, but i doubt it's better ...

Not solved, and no solutions.

GiveMeAnthony

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Earth
Well, quite the reverse, they never get viruses because there are security updates.

And what if someone finds an exploit before they find a patch? It happens. Back in the eMac era I created a virus that spread across two school campuses. All it did was copy itself over the school network, open/close the CD tray repeatedly, and disable the keyboard. The tech guy my school hired, whom I'm now good friends with, found out it was me and made me take it down. This was nothing notorious by any means, but it's a proof of concept.

Antonnn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2016
And what if someone finds an exploit before they find a patch? It happens. Back in the eMac era I created a virus that spread across two school campuses. All it did was copy itself over the school network, open/close the CD tray repeatedly, and disable the keyboard. The tech guy my school hired, whom I'm now good friends with, found out it was me and made me take it down. This was nothing notorious by any means, but it's a proof of concept.

I think you are deviating from the subject, there's no reason to brag here, it's the internets, if I'd tell you I have a master degree in computer science would that change anything or make me more credible?

There's absolutely no reason to believe this is a virus. While it might have been a security fix that doesn't mean it was a virus. A virus these days is not your back in the day joke when you could write 3 lines of code into a batch script and call yourself a hacker. They are super sophisticated and run in silence and steal your info, corrupt your data, spy on you or hold your data for ransom.
Furthermore you can replicate this issue on a brand new machine and/or on a fresh install with no third party software installed, so you are basically implying that apple has a virus in it's own software.

"Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges
Description: A buffer overflow was addressed through improved bounds checking."

Simplified example explanation: This buffer was designed to store a max of 100 numbers but our team of vulnerability experts found one exception when it could store 110 numbers, that caused an overflow and it was a possible threat, so we added a few more checks to catch that exception.

Last edited:

PeterjMcM

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
I use adblock on safari. You think that might be a contributing factor? I was thinking that too but i never had an issue till 10.11.5.

You just said it, it might be a contributing factor. Actually, I don't know, got it disabled for 2 days and it seems to be freezing less often, but still sometimes.

It's weird because we all got slightly differents errors making it really hard to find out exactly what issue could be.

Some people can move the cursor, whilst others can't, etc.

tomtony17

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
Yea, thats true. Besides, its not supposed to freeze, at all. Anyway, the guys at apple want me to record what happens when the freeze occur and send it to them. So lets hope that helps or we will be having this issue till another stable update comes along.

Reactions: PeterjMcM

abre

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
UK
Just to add to this thread, I have a 17" Mid 2009 MBP and I've been suffering this freeze, I get all the symptoms listed at the head of this thread and have been experiencing it for the past couple of months. Initially thought it was my home grown fusion drive HDD failing, so went full SSD but still getting the freezes. 10.11.4 was a freeze a week, but now with 10.11.5 I've had 3 in 5 days. Oh joy!

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I posted my youtube videos of the freeze while on .4. Updated to .5 and no freezing yet, but as another poster stated, I too have serious beachballing issues in Safari.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
updated to os x 10.11.6 public beta, imac retina 27inch 5k late 2015 still have the system wide freezing issue occurring. It froze completely with mouse unusable and the whole mac is froze suddenly with the whole system becoming unresponsive, it restarts itself after a few seconds. Still the same symptoms since os x 10.11.4...triggered by either using chrome, video watching especially, using itunes.

Yup. On 10.11.5 I'm having the same issue on my 2013 iMac. Using chrome, watching vids. Frustrating. My recovery drive is still on Mavericks. I'm inclined to go back but support is limited on Mavericks I believe.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Well I'm in luck I've got the Yosemite installer too. Trying to see how I can either go back to Mavericks or Yosemite and save my data.

ronoman

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
Updated to 10.11.5 2 days ago. Had another freeze up with Safari today. So, this update didn't work for my mid-2012 MBP.

UPDATE: After getting the one freeze up after 10.11.5, I did a NVRAM reset. It's been about a week now without a freeze up; freeze = restart automatically or safari freezes with cursor moveable but not functional.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
well the poll is closed but a day after i upgraded elcapitan my macbook air had a system wide freeze. Im pretty unhappy about it considering its the first system wide freeze i've had since I bought the macbook air in 2013.

460works

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2016
The problem is general, and it's software, though the quality of hardware matters.

Imagine a tube or pipe with large spheres at each end. That represents every place and/or node and/or path, in, and along, which data is received / sent / streamed --- between any two processes / nodes / spheres.

All of it, now, has to be protected (in contrast to the old days), and by more difficult protection schemes.

Inside each sphere, there are these processes:

- stream data-compression / stream data-decompression
- stream data-encoding / stream data-decoding
- stream data-encryption / stream data-decryption
- AND:
- signing of any of those six possible actions

The "signing" in particular, is being required more and more, of late (by Apple), putting authoritative stamps on actions and/or results of actions.

So, there is more work (and time consumed) in a sphere.

There is also a resulting force upon, expectation of, other processes / other spheres, where the technology used in one sphere, or one process, may not be well-interpreted by said other sphere or by said other process.

In a nutshell, all the above, is what is happening with the Mac OS and the Apple iOS, trying to do the right thing, but largely satisfying the A (Apple) of relationships like:

- process A communicating with process B
- process A communicating with sphere C
- sphere C communicating with sphere D
- process B communicating with sphere C
- sphere D communicating with process A

That kind of thing, where Apple's latest security policy is in action, but the others are not quite up-to-date.

It's causing multiple failures to completely communicate data. And those failures (may) show up as a variety of symptoms.

As best as I can figure to date.

-

Last edited:

akkers

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2015
UPDATE: After getting the one freeze up after 10.11.5, I did a NVRAM reset. It's been about a week now without a freeze up; freeze = restart automatically or safari freezes with cursor moveable but not functional.

I did the same when i updated to 10.11.5 - once it was installed i did a NVRAM reset and it has been a week now without a freeze. Tested safari wiTh youtube, chrome with youtube, mutliple split screens etc
System 2014 rMBP 13.

I had a lot of freezes on 10.11.4.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Hi there, just chiming in to say that I have this problem on my 2015 15" MBP with dGPU. Funnily enough, did a fresh install with the latest OS X, ran Safari without any extensions, and encountered the problem once again.

It's humorous that I can't even know if it's a dGPU or a software related issue, but either way, I applaud Apple for this.

GiveMeAnthony

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Earth
I think you are deviating from the subject, there's no reason to brag here, it's the internets, if I'd tell you I have a master degree in computer science would that change anything or make me more credible?

There's absolutely no reason to believe this is a virus. While it might have been a security fix that doesn't mean it was a virus. A virus these days is not your back in the day joke when you could write 3 lines of code into a batch script and call yourself a hacker. They are super sophisticated and run in silence and steal your info, corrupt your data, spy on you or hold your data for ransom.
Furthermore you can replicate this issue on a brand new machine and/or on a fresh install with no third party software installed, so you are basically implying that apple has a virus in it's own software.

"Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges
Description: A buffer overflow was addressed through improved bounds checking."

Simplified example explanation: This buffer was designed to store a max of 100 numbers but our team of vulnerability experts found one exception when it could store 110 numbers, that caused an overflow and it was a possible threat, so we added a few more checks to catch that exception.
It wasn't my intention to brag. I was just using a fact to illustrate a point. I could've just as easily used the OSX/Leap-A virus as an example. However, I didn't know enough about it the first place (in fact, I just googled about the history of mac virii), which is why I presented my proof-of-concept virus. Also, if you indeed have a master degree in computer science, then it should prove of good use to us here ;)

Now, you say that virii now-a-days are "super sophisticated and run in silence". Doesn't that sound like what we might have here? I'm not saying it definitely absolutely is a virus, just the we be open to the idea that it might be.

Furthermore you can replicate this issue on a brand new machine and/or on a fresh install with no third party software installed
This isn't what I've experienced. I bought a brand new 13" Macbook Pro Retina and hadn't experienced this issue until several months after, which is one of the reasons why I'm open to the idea of it being a virus.

Reactions: grahamperrin

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I can confirm the hangs are still happening on the latest build.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 (15F34)

I tried to whip my camera out in time to catch the behavior but it eventually recovered. Watching some videos (no flash installed) and the system stopped responding to mouse input & same with trackpad gestures. As the norm, I can still "hear" the computer is working because voices though teamspeak continue to come through the speakers. After an unspecified amount of time the system will recover. All the mouse clicks and gestures play out as if they had been buffered.

It happened again & this time I captured it on video. I'm going to give Apple a support call on Tuesday and if can get past the first line of defense.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch Mid 2014)
OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

Complete freeze when exiting a tab on safari (happened a couple times already).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.