Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Mail:
If you are using an application in fullscreen mode and receive a mail notification, clicking that notification opens the mail in split view mode next to the app you are using. Previously that would open the mail in normal window which would force a switch to a desktop away from the app you are using.

I think that's a really cool feature. Does it work with other apps and their notifications as well?

Reactions: jgelin

SuperSven

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2017
Amsterdam
It seems the work with Cisco paid off. In beta 17A291m I finally get instantly a separate splash (disclaimer page) window when I connect to Guest WiFi on the Cisco WLC 5508. I Sierra we needed to connect wifi, open safari with a non https page to force the disclaimer.

Reactions: jgelin

nchamow

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
New sharing options for content caching under the sharing preference pane. Screenshots attached

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 8.33.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 8.33.28 AM.png
    284.2 KB · Views: 610
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 8.33.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 8.33.15 AM.png
    295.2 KB · Views: 617

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
This is a tad confusing as the 'notifications' icon here now looks like it should have a number, but doesn't. Needs a UI fix.

That icon caused me to do a micro-pause for a while (poorly applied skeuomorphs are bad) until I mentally filtered it out. Now that actual badges are going to be displayed in there it has to be changed.

Reactions: Takuro and jgelin

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
New sharing options for content caching under the sharing preference pane. Screenshots attached
Can someone explain what this means? For instance how is "caching" your Photos library any different than the current way of downloading photos locally?

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Can someone explain what this means? For instance how is "caching" your Photos library any different than the current way of downloading photos locally?

It turns your Mac into a cache that other devices in your home network can access. That way, they waste less Internet traffic and can also (possibly) access some of the data while offline.

Reactions: Max108

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
System Settings
- Show All button is wider

Spotlight search:

- Spotlight suggestions and web resources are available in Portugal locale (same behaviour in Safari search bar)

Maps:
- New letter font
- Weather conditions (there is no 3D touchable expanded view like iOS though)

As for MacBook Pro 2016 non-touch bar
Animations are smother on:
- Mission control
- Zooming windows (although I still get stutters in some apps such as FontBook)
- Opening preferences panes in System Preferences

Animations are jerky in:
- iTunes album view

Mail:
If you are using an application in fullscreen mode and receive a mail notification, clicking that notification opens the mail in split view mode next to the app you are using. Previously that would open the mail in normal window which would force a switch to a desktop away from the app you are using.

• There's now an option if Reading List articles should be saved automatically. They also removed some Bonjour stuff.
View attachment 706940
  • Website preferences toolbar button.
View attachment 706941
  • Wider System Settings button.
View attachment 706942
  • Calendar Groups.
View attachment 706943
  • Copy File Pathname in Finder.
View attachment 706944
  • RSS in Safari has been removed.
View attachment 706946
  • Some of the changes in the Photos editing section. There's also a map view.
View attachment 706947 View attachment 706948 View attachment 706949 View attachment 706950

• Opening options in Preview have been removed.
View attachment 706951
  • Maps has redesigned info cards. It also shows the weather for the location.
View attachment 706953
  • Disk Utility got some new APFS toolbar buttons
View attachment 706954

Preference panes can now have individual notification badges (shown here on iCloud).
View attachment 707427

Are all these new features from beta 2 or are they present on beta 1 already?

HatMine

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
C:/
This may have been said already, but the spacing for items in the menubar has increased. At least for the volume and WiFi items.

alexclst

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
This is new. Shown after logging in with beta 3.

This seems like a bit of a contradiction with what is in the release notes regarding APFS which state that encryption may use the wrong block offset and hence need to be re-encrypted when this is fixed in a later beta.

It just seems as if Apple shouldn't be pushing this in this beta if the encryption itself is not being done correctly. Overall I'm all for a stronger push for FileVault under macOS 10.13/APFS, and have basically already decided to go that route on all my Macs once they're using APFS. I just think that adding this right now is a bit contradictory.

Last edited:

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
It would be nice if Apple released a 10.13 beta with gfx drivers with support for GPUs like the HD6870, HD5870, etc., that were supported by Sierra in older the MacPro models plus later for upgrades like the RX460 that had OOTB Metal support as well.

WindowServer, the software which displays the Graphical User Interface (GUI) uses now Metal 2. AFAIK, Metal 2 is a software improvement 100 times faster than "comparable" OpenGL APIs. Metal version 1 was already 10 times faster than OpenGL, now Metal 2 is again 10 times faster than Metal version 1. Because Metal 2 is a software improvement, Metal 2 should run on all machines which support Metal version 1 (the Mac mini 2012 for example).

Safari can now block autoplay videos (ads) and macOS High Sierra has system wide H.265 support (hardware acceleration requires at least a Skylake processor).

nelly22

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Does 10.13 QuickTime Player have ability to play 360 videos? Now it just shows distorted video.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Love the Manage option in About this Mac / Storage / Manage... which lets you individually see what applications take up space and lets you clean it up as well - very handy tool.
Manage.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.