Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i always run the betas, on both my macs (both used for work), and have no regrets. have i had some issues? sure. has life come screeching to a halt? no. i get my work done, explore new options, and, when need be, find workarounds for issues (usually sorted by the next beta release).

my point is... we make a choice. if you want to run a beta, no one can tell you how your experience will be (since we all have different hardware, different setups, different apps). you have to be prepared for some (possibly big) challenges. you need to know something about troubleshooting, otherwise... wait. and always backup everything first!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Finally. This reminds me of when they waited a whole year for El Capitan before updating the beach ball. :confused:
There are still a few Leopard-era app icons in High Sierra (Grab, Boot Camp Assistant for example). Does make me wonder why it takes 3+ years to do something as simple as updating the built-in app icons.

Ishayu

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Denmark
There are still a few Leopard-era app icons in High Sierra (Grab, Boot Camp Assistant for example). Does make me wonder why it takes 3+ years to do something as simple as updating the built-in app icons.
Is there any real reason to upgrade them? They look fine and fit into the OS's aethetic just fine to my eyes.

Reactions: gklka

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I do not think this was in beta 4 - in beta 5, Touch Bar also dims the same moment when your keyboard does. It was not this way previously, to the best of my knowledge.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Calculator has bolder text
[doublepost=1502222608][/doublepost]All My Files has been renamed to Recents

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 22.42.02.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 22.42.02.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 587
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 23.02.50.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 23.02.50.png
    489.7 KB · Views: 611

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Calculator has bolder text
[doublepost=1502222608][/doublepost]All My Files has been renamed to Recents

Do you mean it has replaced All My Files? Because that doesn't look like the same functionality as All My Files. Is All MY Files still there?

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
have never used 'all my files', but it looks the same to me. what's different with 'recents'?
Look at the photo above. It appears to just show a handful of recent files similar to the Recents section in the iOS Files app. All My Files is different in that it has sections that goes through the years and showed all your files. I personally never used it and thought it was a jumbled mess. It mixed all your files with worthless tiny system app files that you'd never need to see. It was useless.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Look at the photo above. It appears to just show a handful of recent files similar to the Recents section in the iOS Files app. All My Files is different in that it has sections that goes through the years and showed all your files. I personally never used it and thought it was a jumbled mess. It mixed all your files with worthless tiny system app files that you'd never need to see. It was useless.

..which is why i never used 'all my files'... so 'recents' is an improvement?..

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
The Trackpad videos have downloaded to my System Preferences. Look at the App Store and Maps icons! (if you don't see it, look again)

O5uG5vx.jpg
Also Contacts icon looks to match now with iOS 11 glyph. Some of the other icons looks also more "contrasty" (like Launchpad and System Preferences) but could be just the image compression doing tricks...

Reactions: v1597psh

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
The app store doesn't need a new icon, it needs a rewrite. It feels clunky compared to the new iOS app store. Mac updates are always years behind the iOS ones. Still no News app? HomeKit? TV? ...Why?

Reactions: Janichsan

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
The app store doesn't need a new icon, it needs a rewrite. It feels clunky compared to the new iOS app store. Mac updates are always years behind the iOS ones. Still no News app? HomeKit? TV? ...Why?
I have a gut feeling that there is an update coming for the Mac App Store, but not necessarily as drastic as for iOS (would've been already included in the betas). Sierra's 10.12.5 release notes mentioned "Enhances compatibility of the Mac App Store with future software updates.", and my wishful thinking is that it's related to groundwork they are making in the App Store's backend :rolleyes:

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
It turns your Mac into a cache that other devices in your home network can access. That way, they waste less Internet traffic and can also (possibly) access some of the data while offline.

But then your mac needs to be on? So this means thst my ipad can load videos in incloud quicker?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Side-by-side comparison of the new icons. If this turns out to be the final design, looks like I'll be replacing the App Store icon back to the old one.
HighSierra-NewIcons.png

Reactions: Max108

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yes it looks weird blown up like that, but it looks quite nice at home screen size (and even smaller in messages).
Home screen size? This is MacOS, not iOS, and I honestly don't like how it looks in the Dock, especially with magnification turned on. Feel the same way about the current iTunes icon not matching the others, and Apple has done nothing to resolve that; still have the red one from OS X Yosemite in use on my main iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.