Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

hashtagUI

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2014
New "Now Playing" widget, similar to the one in iOS, it dosen't replaces the iTunes widget. Although it seems to be a little bugy, album artwork is not showing up.

It also shows videos playing in Safari, works with Spotify's desktop app too!
Nice little change!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.09.59.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.09.59.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 694
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.15.19.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.15.19.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 640
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.18.11.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.18.11.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 676

_Alcatraz_

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
New "Now Playing" widget, similar to the one in iOS, it dosen't replaces the iTunes widget. Although it seems to be a little bugy, album artwork is not showing up.

It also shows videos playing in Safari, works with Spotify's desktop app too!
Nice little change!

Why it doesn't replace the old one? What's the gain? I mean there are tons of things in Mac OS that Apple should kill/update like the Dashboard.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Not sure why people care so much about tiny icon changes. We need to direct our anger at things like the state of iTunes. For some reason Apple hasn't given us separate apps that aren't slow as hell.
Why it doesn't replace the old one? What's the gain? I mean there are tons of things in Mac OS that Apple should kill/update like the Dashboard.

I'm guessing so you can play a paused song in iTunes from Control Center even if something else is playing and occupying the Now Playing player? Seems clunky, but it's still a beta.

I also agree that Dashboard needs to go. I've been calling for it for years. I mean they just killed the RSS feed in Safari which doesn't seem very necessary, so not sure why Dashboard is still alive. It wasn't been updated in like half a decade and there's no development for it anymore.

Reactions: LarryJoe33

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Not sure why people care so much about tiny icon changes. We need to direct our anger at things like the state of iTunes. For some reason Apple hasn't given us separate apps that aren't slow as hell.

I'm guessing so you can play a paused song in iTunes from Control Center even if something else is playing and occupying the Now Playing player? Seems clunky, but it's still a beta.

I also agree that Dashboard needs to go. I've been calling for it for years. I mean they just killed the RSS feed in Safari which doesn't seem very necessary, so not sure why Dashboard is still alive. It wasn't been updated in like half a decade and there's no development for it anymore.
My guess is that Apple is keeping Dashboard around for those niche groups of people who still use it, just to give them that option.

With that said, Apple did update the Title Game background to match Yosemite in 2014. However, no updates for the following OSes.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Still don't think Notification Centre is a viable alternative to Dashboard. Just seems more inconvenient with no real benefit of its own. I'd love Dashboard to get a complete overhaul and widgets to be sold on the MAS, but I realise that is extremely unlikely. Perhaps as a compromise NC widgets could run in Dashboard (again, not very likely) - but nothing compares to the convenience of widgets which can completely overlay your screen with a transparent background enabled by one button tap.

Once you're used to the calculator, calendar, weather being available in a keystroke, scrolling up and down Today view in NC seems oddly fiddly.

Reactions: gklka

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Still don't think Notification Centre is a viable alternative to Dashboard. Just seems more inconvenient with no real benefit of its own. I'd love Dashboard to get a complete overhaul and widgets to be sold on the MAS, but I realise that is extremely unlikely. Perhaps as a compromise NC widgets could run in Dashboard (again, not very likely) - but nothing compares to the convenience of widgets which can completely overlay your screen with a transparent background enabled by one button tap.

Once you're used to the calculator, calendar, weather being available in a keystroke, scrolling up and down Today view in NC seems oddly fiddly.

Indeed, but I think in the future Dashboard might disappear.

Reactions: gklka

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
i'm amazed at how many mac users i know have never even seen the dashboard (much less mission control). so many options, so many unused. check out people's downloads folders if you really want to see something astonishing...

You're correct, the average user will never use the vast majority of features. It seems that some people don't know how to access anything other than desktop icons or the dock. A lot of people on here complain about how Apple is "dumbing things down" by moving to the cloud and starting to automatically optimize local storage, but these are massively helpful to the average user. Most people never got into the habit of backing up their files, thus the cloud is massively useful.

I thought I remember reading that only like 12 percent of people use Touch ID. The stat may be dated or just wrong but it wouldn't entirely surprise me. My brother had no idea it existed before I told him and my sister doesn't even use a password at all on her iPhone...

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i know apple created the downloads folder so that people wouldn't have a million files on the desktop (not that that hasn't happened anyway), but when i look at friends & clients DL folder... there's lots of item_1, item_2, etc etc. they've just kept hitting the download button (and wondered where the file went). funny as hell (or sad, perhaps...).

seems most people live on the desktop, and find their work thru spotlight, or 'all my files'. but it's all okay...

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Reactions: Max108

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Okay... I just installed High Sierra... and after some install issues (multiple prohibitory signs with forced reboots) I notices a weird black rectangle... that kept following my mouse cursor.

Long story short. There is a new option (or if it is not new it wasn't on by default beforehand) that can be found under:

System Preferences → Accessibility → Zoom
(I had Zoom by scroll gesture turned on)

And at the bottom it reads "Zoom Style" → Options.

Under Options... there is a new checkbox for "show preciew rectangle when zoomed out".
I have no idea why it was checked to begin with. Googling didn't help either. (Only found it by accident.) And I don't understand why that would be useful. As scrolling zooms in... it's not like a fixed factor... so you can see the area that it would zoom into... So really no idea why it is there... and what it would do for you!

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 01.48.18.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 01.41.11.png

[doublepost=1503443541][/doublepost]One other thing. I think the system font San Francisco changed slightly. I noticed this in the menu bar and in other instances. (Sadly I don't have before and after images.) But the system font in High Sierra seems to be a bit 'taller'. And/or maybe a bit more condensed.

Maybe someone with both Sierra and High Sierra installs can verify and confirm this?!

Reactions: ErikGrim

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
I find it quite strange that they've pulled the iTunes 12.7 Beta and haven't released a new build yet. At this point it seems that the final version of iTunes 12.7 will be released with macOS High Sierra which makes me think a new major version (13) wouldn't be released this year... unfortunately.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
I find it quite strange that they've pulled the iTunes 12.7 Beta and haven't released a new build yet. At this point it seems that the final version of iTunes 12.7 will be released with macOS High Sierra which makes me think a new major version (13) wouldn't be released this year... unfortunately.

I'm guessing the final build has the 4K stuff in it. Probably holding that back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.