Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I find it quite strange that they've pulled the iTunes 12.7 Beta and haven't released a new build yet.
Trying to prevent iPhone 8 leaks. The internal build of it would have a wealth of iPhone 8 references by now...
[doublepost=1503853134][/doublepost]"Wikipedia" tab renamed to "Siri Knowledge" in the Look Up box, kind of an odd change unless it is now pulling info from places other than Wikipedia for some queries.
Siri-Knowledge.png

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
One other thing. I think the system font San Francisco changed slightly. I noticed this in the menu bar and in other instances. (Sadly I don't have before and after images.) But the system font in High Sierra seems to be a bit 'taller'. And/or maybe a bit more condensed.

it’s called San Francisco Arabic.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
One other thing. I think the system font San Francisco changed slightly. I noticed this in the menu bar and in other instances. (Sadly I don't have before and after images.) But the system font in High Sierra seems to be a bit 'taller'. And/or maybe a bit more condensed.

Maybe someone with both Sierra and High Sierra installs can verify and confirm this?!
Yeah, the font seems to look more like it did in El Capitan actually. Sierra changed the font a bit for some reason.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
Safari Extension Gallary is starting to direct people to the Mac App Store for apps that have the extensions bundled (not sure if that's limited to High Sierra though)

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/

Hey guys, surely this is a bad thing. Has anyone noticed all the dozens of free extensions have disappeared to be replaced by really crappy paid ones? I'm hoping this is going to change dramatically in the next few days because none of the best ones are there currently,

Last edited:

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
As of Beta 8 you can no longer have the same PW for your iCloud Account and your User Account (even though they are linked). Pretty annoying... as I consider these two accounts to be basically the same. Now having to have separate PWs is really annoying!

Reactions: nol2001

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
As of Beta 8 you can no longer have the same PW for your iCloud Account and your User Account (even though they are linked). Pretty annoying... as I consider these two accounts to be basically the same. Now having to have separate PWs is really annoying!

been that way since at least Sierra.

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
I find it quite strange that they've pulled the iTunes 12.7 Beta and haven't released a new build yet. At this point it seems that the final version of iTunes 12.7 will be released with macOS High Sierra which makes me think a new major version (13) wouldn't be released this year... unfortunately.

Wait... "Pulled"?

I thought Apple has never released iTunes 12.7 Beta? Or did I miss something and they snuck it in a macOS beta build?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston

It's hogwash or not working. I get that message every other beta and it doesn't really force you to or stick if you actually do change it.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
been that way since at least Sierra.

You can indeed use the same password. Once you’ve changed it per the “requirements” you can go back into your user account and change it to match your iCloud password. It’s a goofy workaround, but hey, the end result is all that matters. I’ve done it multiple times, including in High Sierra.
[doublepost=1503960363][/doublepost]

See above.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
You can indeed use the same password. Once you’ve changed it per the “requirements” you can go back into your user account and change it to match your iCloud password. It’s a goofy workaround, but hey, the end result is all that matters. I’ve done it multiple times, including in High Sierra.
[doublepost=1503960363][/doublepost]

See above.
Exactly, just keep in mind that the "new" password lingers after you change it back to the "old" Apple ID password. By linger, I mean wallet and a few other things like encryption, I can't remember. Definitely wallet.

gklka

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
I believe this one is new: Clicking accidentally on separator lines or disabled items in the menu now doesn't close it. Previously if you missed the menu item and clicked between two sections, the menu was closed.
[doublepost=1504122068][/doublepost]I am not sure about this one: Safari on slit screen does not scale the content anymore, it just acts like it's window is narrower.
[doublepost=1504122442][/doublepost]Also good news: I haven't experience neither the Exposé bug (you select some window in Mission Control, animates to forth and then at the end of the animation suddenly some other window pops to front) or everybody's favourite: the too-quick-download-stucking-dock-progress-bar bug. Hooray!

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
My iCloud and User Account passwords are the same. Running the latest version of macOS Sierra on my 2015 MacBook Pro.

You are only told you can’t use the same password when you are doing an new installation (Sierra or High Sierra), or sometimes when you install an update that brings up the setup wizard when it finishes. Otherwise you’ll never see the prompt.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been posted before, but couldn't see it in the thread. I don't recall this being available in Sierra, but I could be wrong. When attached to an external display, when tapping the brightness control, the Touch Bar now lets you control each independently. I'm pretty sure before it only controlled the internal display brightness.

oTTLILB.jpg

(Oops, forgot the keyboard shortcut for Touch Bar screenshots...)

Zachari

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Washington, DC
Sorry if this has been posted before, but couldn't see it in the thread. I don't recall this being available in Sierra, but I could be wrong. When attached to an external display, when tapping the brightness control, the Touch Bar now lets you control each independently. I'm pretty sure before it only controlled the internal display brightness.

oTTLILB.jpg

(Oops, forgot the keyboard shortcut for Touch Bar screenshots...)
I definitely think that is new.

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
If you create a folder named "AppleInternal" at the root directory of your hard drive, the Messages app now has an option to allow you to export the full Message transcript with attached photos to a .webarchive file. Very handy for archiving iMessage transcripts.

P.s: Yes, Messages app's transcript view is backed by a web view. This is one of the reasons iOS 10 and iOS 11's fancy full screen/message bubble effects are either not implemented or poorly implemented (as in the case of Invisible Ink).

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 10.11.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 10.11.46 PM.png

I just checked this on a Mac running macOS Sierra. This feature is not present in Sierra even if you have a folder named "AppleInternal" under the root directory.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If you create a folder named "AppleInternal" at the root directory of your hard drive, the Messages app now has an option to allow you to export the full Message transcript with attached photos to a .webarchive file. Very handy for archiving Message transcripts.

View attachment 716653

View attachment 716654
I just checked this on a Mac running macOS Sierra. This feature is not present in Sierra even if you have a folder named "AppleInternal" under the root directory.

Interesting. How the hell did you figure that out?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
interesting. i had that folder in an earlier 10.13 beta; if i deleted it, it would re-appear on a reboot. then, a newer beta fixed that. so, what's the point of it not existing? and/or what are the odds this will work in the GM??

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
interesting. i had that folder in an earlier 10.13 beta; if i deleted it, it would re-appear on a reboot. then, a newer beta fixed that. so, what's the point of it not existing? and/or what are the odds this will work in the GM??

Not at all, if it's called AppleInternal. My guess it's there solely for the purpose of testing features like the Messages thing internally, and was probably a mistake for it to even be in the beta.

xeilon

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
Australia
Reactions: vista980622
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.