Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Zakn

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2016
France
The status of instalation of high sierra has been : Calculating time remaining for almost 30 minutes now. This is on a 2017 MBP. Is it normal or should I do something ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The status of instalation of high sierra has been : Calculating time remaining for almost 30 minutes now. This is on a 2017 MBP. Is it normal or should I do something ?
Just give it time. I just updated my 2016 TB MBP and it took about abut eight minutes to download the installer, then another 50 to complete the install. It sat at the calculating screen for quite a while.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Just noticed something really cool on the GM. Option-clicking the green window button will Zoom the window, while Option-clicking a second time (twice in a row) will Maximize the window.

Reactions: Cougarcat

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Just some observations after converting SSD to APFS. Downloading a torrent seem much faster than before. Duplicating a file seem to not take up any extra space, not even after altering one of the files.

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England
HFS is over? Dead in new High Sierra?

was dead long ago: has been HFS+ for years
[doublepost=1506412217][/doublepost]
Just some observations after converting SSD to APFS. Downloading a torrent seem much faster than before. Duplicating a file seem to not take up any extra space, not even after altering one of the files.

The changed copy will only occupy a few blocks extra

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
was dead long ago: has been HFS+ for years
[doublepost=1506412217][/doublepost]

So, is HFS+ dead on High Sierra?
I mean, I suspect backwards compatibility, but the new filesystem is something completely new, and for the years to come?

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I finally have a boot selection screen on my cylinder Mac Pro with dell P2414 4K display! The aspect ratio is off, but now I can easily select boot camp during the boot process. In all previous OS' I only got a blank screen before booting to the desktop.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Really surprised on how fast all the apps launch. This alone was worth the upgrade!
Just noticed something really cool on the GM. Option-clicking the green window button will Zoom the window, while Option-clicking a second time (twice in a row) will Maximize the window.

Just tried it.. for me option-clicking green resizes it to a windows taking up 1/4 of the screen

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Probably already been covered but the touchbar tweaks in High Sierra are awesome! Finally some options while using Chrome and when you touch volume or brightness, the slider stays there until you close it out. Love it

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Not sure if this is new or not (didn't see it mentioned anywhere), but is this Wifi sharing part of iOS 11 + macOS 10.13?

A colleague was setting up a new iPhone at the office, and my iMac on 10.13 had this pop up:

wifi share.png

I didn't know that she was in the process of setting up a phone, so I asked her and she said "I'm about to type in the password for wifi". I clicked Share, and her iPhone instantly jumped to the next step.

Small details like this that are really nice.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It surprised me to see that Library is now a persistent menu item in the Finder Go menu. I was not holding down Option to take this shot.
Library Menu Item.png

Still a generic icon for it, but hopefully that will change now that it's no longer hidden most of the time.

Reactions: Weaselboy

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
How do I disable the play/pause button for use in Safari? It messes with my Spotify.

Interested in this! I'm listening to a podcast through itunes, and when I'm on safari and hit play/pause, instead of pausing my podcast, it plays a youtube video thats in one of my tabs

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Still nothing?

Open Finder then hit command-j to get to the settings window in my screenshot and check it there.

That option isn't checked here. But I did enable showing hidden files & folders on my Mac, so that could be the reason it shows up for me.

Ah... maybe. If I check and uncheck the box it makes the Go menu Library option appear then disappear. I testd a couple times.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I may have missed it being mentioned...but, a sticky note will now hide the line that separates the title bar from the rest of a note when you switch away from it to another note or app..

note.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.