Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Yes it does. :)
Yay! That's pretty much the only reference left in macOS that points to the original Macintosh name, other than the HD name ("Macintosh HD"), with all other references, AFAIK, being removed. I find it a nice homage. Hoping it's never removed or renamed to "The Mac Desktop Experience".

Does anyone else know where else the "Macintosh" name (in full) is written within the OS?

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yay! That's pretty much the only reference left in macOS that points to the original Macintosh name, other than the HD name ("Macintosh HD"), with all other references, AFAIK, being removed. I find it a nice homage. Hoping it's never removed or renamed to "The Mac Desktop Experience".

Does anyone else know where else the "Macintosh" name (in full) is written within the OS?
In the Safari user agent string (a backwards compatibility measure for sites needing to determine the user's OS, MacOS is also still referenced as "Mac OS X" there). Can't think of any others though, most of the references to the full name Macintosh were wiped away from the platform as a result of the transition to Mac OS X, and the text in the Finder about box was later added as an easter egg in one of the pre-Tiger OS X revisions.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Hi!! Anyone installed Catalina first then tried iOS??? I did and I can't upgrade (I can get to select the IPSW file from the new Finder UI but then it does nothing) . I tried with the PKG around and did nothing... Im downloading the full Xcode 11 as I type but has anyone done this??
From the docs you have to have Xcode 11 installed first. I was able to select my 2018 iPad in Finder sidebar, and in the new iTunes-ish finder window I option-clicked software update which brought up the choose file window. Selected the ipsw and it worked. It was a little buggy, mind, and I had to enter my passcode on iPad before it would connect in finder and then again to start the update. Also had to option-click the software update button several times before it worked and I got the choose file window.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
New menu appears when hovering over the green button.
View attachment 840590

I'm surprised thats such a hidden feature when people would really love it (resizing to one side or another that is)
[doublepost=1559633276][/doublepost]
From the docs you have to have Xcode 11 installed first. I was able to select my 2018 iPad in Finder sidebar, and in the new iTunes-ish finder window I option-clicked software update which brought up the choose file window. Selected the ipsw and it worked. It was a little buggy, mind, and I had to enter my passcode on iPad before it would connect in finder and then again to start the update. Also had to option-click the software update button several times before it worked and I got the choose file window.

@glindon

Can you confirm if iTunes Wifi sync is still there (I mean it would have been renamed I assume) but the general concept?

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Can you check if "Create New Version" and CD ripping are still intact in the Music app? Would be greatly appreciated.

It is! I created a Catalina VM in Parallels just to verify certain features were still there.

It is a little buggy atm - I had to change Music’s preferences from “Ask to import” to “Show CD” but upon inserting an audio CD, the drive showed up in the sidebar under devices, and let me import it using my desired ripping settings as usual :)

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
It is! I created a Catalina VM in Parallels just to verify certain features were still there.

It is a little buggy atm - I had to change Music’s preferences from “Ask to import” to “Show CD” but upon inserting an audio CD, the drive showed up in the sidebar under devices, and let me import it using my desired ripping settings as usual :)
How did you do that? when I tried to do that using the installer app it wouldn't boot.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
How did you do that? when I tried to do that using the installer app it wouldn't boot.

Using Parallels 14, I just pointed it at the “Install macOS 10.15 Beta” app, and let it go from there.

I tried on my 2013 MacBook Air, but it had issues and didn’t work in the end - it had the same issues I’m about to describe but it ended up in an error message. My Hackintosh is pretty beefy (i7-4790k, SSD, 32GB RAM, RX580) and even it struggled a bit keeping up. My CPU didn’t get over loaded, but there is definitely lag...

So! Installing it - it took a while to boot to the installer, but once it did, followed the steps. It hung up at “2 minutes left” - I let it sit for a few minutes and made sure that Parallels reported no disk activity before resetting the VM. It booted again, and started doing the main install with the black screen and white progress bar. This time it got hung up at “less than a minute remaining”; after giving it about thirty minutes, I force reset the VM one more time, and it booted to the setup screen properly.

Very much an unorthodox install, but hey it worked! I get no graphical acceleration but that’s probably to be expected for running a newer OS within an older one.

Reactions: AnonMac50

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Hi!! Anyone installed Catalina first then tried iOS??? I did and I can't upgrade (I can get to select the IPSW file from the new Finder UI but then it does nothing) . I tried with the PKG around and did nothing... Im downloading the full Xcode 11 as I type but has anyone done this??
Had no issues yesterday evening. Upgraded to Catalina, connected my 6S via USB cable, opened the phone in Finder and clicked option-"Check for updates". Selected the ipsw file and it worked fine. I don't have xcode installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey44

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Using Parallels 14, I just pointed it at the “Install macOS 10.15 Beta” app, and let it go from there.

I tried on my 2013 MacBook Air, but it had issues and didn’t work in the end - it had the same issues I’m about to describe but it ended up in an error message. My Hackintosh is pretty beefy (i7-4790k, SSD, 32GB RAM, RX580) and even it struggled a bit keeping up. My CPU didn’t get over loaded, but there is definitely lag...

So! Installing it - it took a while to boot to the installer, but once it did, followed the steps. It hung up at “2 minutes left” - I let it sit for a few minutes and made sure that Parallels reported no disk activity before resetting the VM. It booted again, and started doing the main install with the black screen and white progress bar. This time it got hung up at “less than a minute remaining”; after giving it about thirty minutes, I force reset the VM one more time, and it booted to the setup screen properly.

Very much an unorthodox install, but hey it worked! I get no graphical acceleration but that’s probably to be expected for running a newer OS within an older one.

Weird, I've tried it twice on Parallels 14 the same way as you said, still does not boot.

EDIT: OK, so it turns out I've had a corrupted download...downloading it again fixed the problem for me.

Last edited:

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
Weirdly, the only thing I currently care about, if Image Capture got a zoom feature when you scan a photo or picture.

Anderton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Sweden
Little but important things changed/removed:
- bash is now replaced by zsh as default shell (bash is still present, but like in earlier macOS releases, it's very old).
- perl, ruby or python (deprecated)
- 32-bit apps don't work anymore (as advertised)

Last edited:
Reactions: mscuthbert

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
Little but important things changed/removed:
- bash is now replaced by zsh as default shell (bash is still present, but like in earlier macOS releases, it's very old).
- perl, ruby or python (deprecated)
- 32-bit apps don't work anymore (as advertised)

Perl, Ruby and Python are deprecated but not gone?

Eliottjames

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
Can someone confirm how audiobooks work now? I know that there’s a tab for them in the finder sync window but where are they stored? Are they in the new music app or have they been moved to the books app?

Reactions: kriebe

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Literally usable. Great change! :D

Tongue-in-cheek aside, I actually do think it's good that they're willing to localise within the different English speaking regions
Yep! I now have "bin" folders in Mail on both iOS13 and MacOS 10.15.

I notice that the actual O/S folder is still called ".Trash" which is good, as I can see unix being very upset if "/usr/bin" becomes a place for deleted files :)

Belazor

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013

Just a small point with the HD name; a fresh install of Mojave gave me "macOS" as the HD name:
upload_2019-6-4_15-19-49.png

I'm guessing it just doesn't rename upgraded installs, which makes sense as it could probably mess some things up for literally no benefit.

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2009
Can anyone tell if anything has changed with OpenGL in this beta? Is it still there? I suppose it's too much to hope for to ever get an updated driver past 4.1 given it's been officially deprecated for a while now

Reactions: Populus

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
In the Safari user agent string (a backwards compatibility measure for sites needing to determine the user's OS, MacOS is also still referenced as "Mac OS X" there). Can't think of any others though, most of the references to the full name Macintosh were wiped away from the platform as a result of the transition to Mac OS X, and the text in the Finder about box was later added as an easter egg in one of the pre-Tiger OS X revisions.
Can confirm. I have both Jaugar and Panther on QEMU, and Jaguar's Finder simply says "Finder: Mac OS X (v10.2)", while Panther's says "The Macintosh Desktop Experience". The Finder icon also was changed slightly in Panther, and remained unchanged through Mavericks (changed with Yosemite's UI redesign). That was my favorite Finder icon, for sure.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Has anyone tried Catalina on a no-retina display?

Is smooth font rendering still disabled or gone as it was on Mojave, making the font look crappy on 1080p monitors?

Thank you.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Has the new Quicktime Player the feature "play back and forth" (dunno what it is in English, the palindrome playback...) and play back selection?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.