Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
It is! I created a Catalina VM in Parallels just to verify certain features were still there.

It is a little buggy atm - I had to change Music’s preferences from “Ask to import” to “Show CD” but upon inserting an audio CD, the drive showed up in the sidebar under devices, and let me import it using my desired ripping settings as usual :)
Awesome! Thanks for looking.

Honestly if this new Music app is as easy to use and quick as iTunes 4 was, I think it will be great.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
UgLTNkL.png

Probably an iOS 13 feature too, but my Phillips Hue motion sensor is now bundled as one HomeKit accessory, and the motion/light/temperature components can be seen by clicking on it.

cezar.cretzu

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2018
anyone experiencing issues installing packages?

TeamViewer worked after three restarts and several tries and forced quits
Parallels 14 still struggle to install
Adobe reader I gave up

The JTizzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Maine
Any chance Apple added an option to auto dim your wallpaper when entering dark mode like its doing on the new iOS beta? Thanks!
[doublepost=1559683414][/doublepost]
UgLTNkL.png

Probably an iOS 13 feature too, but my Phillips Hue motion sensor is now bundled as one HomeKit accessory, and the motion/light/temperature components can be seen by clicking on it.
Ohh thanks man! Thats a nice fix.

senna95

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2017
The volume HUD has been changed slightly. There are no longer any empty boxes for any volume decreases.
Edit: same for the brightness indicator.

Attachments

• 2019-06-04_23-39-43 (2).gif
    2019-06-04_23-39-43 (2).gif
    7.2 MB · Views: 2,070
Last edited:

jujoje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
Can anyone tell if anything has changed with OpenGL in this beta? Is it still there? I suppose it's too much to hope for to ever get an updated driver past 4.1 given it's been officially deprecated for a while now

I'd also be interested to hear if there'd been any changes here, if anyone would be good enough to have a look.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
The volume HUD has been changed slightly. There are no longer any empty boxes for any volume decreases.
Edit: same for the brightness indicator.
The volume HUD has sucked since Yosemite. Ever since they got rid of the dashes in between levels, it's a lot harder to tell which brightness/volume you are on.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
In the new Music.app, can you have Genres on the sidebar like it is with the new TV.app?

In the new TV.app, can you you edit the metadata of iTunes Purchased Movies? and are those changes sync to the tvOS, iOS, TV.app? Can you change the metadata of non-iTunes Purchased Movies?

Last edited:

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
any one tried sidecar with IpadOS? I can get extended display working when connected over USB-C from MacBook Pro. But doesn't work when its over wifi. wondering any setting I need to do?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Interesting decision. Does zsh provide an important advantage over bash besides GPL issues? OS X bash is way behind but I always figured that was just Apple neglect and it never affected my workflow.
Zsh is more configurable. I suggest everyone go get Oh My Zsh. So many useful themes and extensions!

https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh
[doublepost=1559712046][/doublepost]I know it has probably been noted officially, but using your Watch instead of typing passwords for authentication is really handy.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Can someone confirm how audiobooks work now? I know that there’s a tab for them in the finder sync window but where are they stored? Are they in the new music app or have they been moved to the books app?
As the new Mac are supposed to be in sync with their iOS counterparts, audiobooks are now in Books.

Reactions: Eliottjames

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
All i want to do is choose my macs output audio to stereo homepods i know in audio/iTunes u could airplay 2 to stereo homepods but why cant I use them as my normal output speakers

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
Has anyone tried Catalina on a no-retina display?

Is smooth font rendering still disabled or gone as it was on Mojave, making the font look crappy on 1080p monitors?

Thank you.
Thank you for asking, i did not think to check it out. I just tested it on a 2014 Macbook Air and all I can say is WOW! Text looks as great as it was under Mavericks. Also I think the text in TextEdit looks better if you don’t turn on font smoothing (14 pix font). I will certainly upgrade this Mac from High Sierra when the time comes. This first beta is veeeeery slow running from an external HD.
[doublepost=1559725060][/doublepost]
Has the new Quicktime Player the feature "play back and forth" (dunno what it is in English, the palindrome playback...) and play back selection?
No, I do not see any such option.
[doublepost=1559725650][/doublepost]
In the new Music.app, can you have Genres on the sidebar like it is with the new TV.app?

In the new TV.app, can you you edit the metadata of iTunes Purchased Movies? and are those changes sync to the tvOS, iOS, TV.app? Can you change the metadata of non-iTunes Purchased Movies?
No you cannot see Genres on the music app sidebar.
You CAN change the metadata on non-iTunes purchased movies

Reactions: Populus

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Thank you for asking, i did not think to check it out. I just tested it on a 2014 Macbook Air and all I can say is WOW! Text looks as great as it was under Mavericks. Also I think the text in TextEdit looks better if you don’t turn on font smoothing (14 pix font). I will certainly upgrade this Mac from High Sierra when the time comes. This first beta is veeeeery slow running from an external HD.
[doublepost=1559725060][/doublepost]
No, I do not see any such option.
[doublepost=1559725650][/doublepost]
No you cannot see Genres on the music app sidebar.
You CAN change the metadata on non-iTunes purchased movies
What was Apple think by not allowing Genres to be on the sidebar???

And as in changing metadata for non-purchased movies, does this include adding cast, etc?

And by any chance does changing the metadata of Purchased Movies sync between devices?

Last edited:
Reactions: seanrt

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Interesting decision. Does zsh provide an important advantage over bash besides GPL issues? OS X bash is way behind but I always figured that was just Apple neglect and it never affected my workflow.

zsh is generally quite praised for being highly configurable and flexible. But frankly I think I'll stick to Bash. I'm just so used to it.

Are some of the legacy apps like Chess and Grapher still included? News that Dashboard was removed makes me wonder about these ones.

I think Chess at least will stick around basically forever. Apple uses an Open Source chess engine and only does the front-end and integration with Apple things like Game Center. But it's an open source app, so it's a quite hand form of interactive documentation for integrating with the Mac in a way.
As previously noted, Grapher is also still present. I haven't really noticed any apps missing, but I'll check anything if you ask specifics. - There are new cool dev tools though. Reality Composer for AR stuff, and a tool for training machine learning models without a single line of code - Create ML.

That's annoying. It was already hard enough for me to find what I was looking for in system prefs ever since they removed the labeled categorys...

Honestly, the new System Preferences is a lot easier to navigate if you ask me. It feels better laid out. And inside the pref panes navigation is better too, especially for iCloud related stuff.
Plus you still have a search for prefs powered by Spotlight.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.