Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I stopped using zsh back in 1995.

Assuming you started using it from it's very first release that's 5 years. Not super long. What did you move over to? csh?
I like fish, but that didn't come around till 2005.
[doublepost=1559874418][/doublepost]
Click green button, press option, select zoom.

Zoom is my preferred option, but the person you replied to wanted a maximise function like what Windows has, not the macOS style zoom.

I've been a long time Bash user and configured my own Bash profile. Changed to Zsh and Oh My Zsh this year and I love it. Showing you your current git branch for example is invaluable.

I've not really touched zsh so much at all. How's the learning curve, and is the configuration easy to get going with? I really like Bash.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Assuming you started using it from it's very first release that's 5 years. Not super long. What did you move over to? csh?
I like fish, but that didn't come around till 2005.
I simply used ksh as it's the default to AIX back then. AIX 3.2.5.
[doublepost=1559874739][/doublepost]
Zoom is my preferred option, but the person you replied to wanted a maximise function like what Windows has, not the macOS style zoom.
Yeah, what's up with that from macOS? I mean, full screen makes it display width so why doesn't window max do the like?

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Interesting, so certain multitouch gestures are supported in Sidecar. The wiki post on the first page currently says that it only supports Pencil input and no multitouch gestures, but this confirms that we can use two fingers to scroll or to pinch-to-zoom, and apparently even the new three-finger-gestures for undo/redo and copy-pasting.

Honestly Sidecar keeps getting more and more exciting the more we hear about it. I thought Marzipan/Project Catalyst might be the macOS feature I'd be looking forward to the most this year, but currently Sidecar has taken that place for me. (Though then again, the benefits for us end users of Project Catalyst largely depend on what third-party developers do with it, which we haven't heard that much about yet – I'm sure there'll be many announcements of new Mac apps over the next few weeks and months.)

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
It's pretty much exactly like bash, but with nicer features. The learning curve was zero (other than reading how to pick a theme with Oh My Zsh).
As you seem to have some more zsh experience: I have seen mentions that zsh comes by default with a configuration utility, but I can't find anything specific about that. Do you know anything about that?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I simply used ksh as it's the default to AIX back then. AIX 3.2.5.

Ah, ok. Haven't ever touched ksh.

Yeah, what's up with that from macOS? I mean, full screen makes it display width so why doesn't window max do the like?

Well, the macOS window zoom, isn't, and isn't called maximise. It's called zoom, and there's a reason for that. It's actually quite brillant. It doesn't simply make the window full screen. It makes the window fit the content in an appropriate way.

It's pretty much exactly like bash, but with nicer features. The learning curve was zero (other than reading how to pick a theme with Oh My Zsh).

Sounds good. Might not switch back to Bash when I upgrade my main to Catalina anyway then. On my beta volume I've not bothered switching it over either, and I'm pretty fine with it so far. But I assume it's not 1:1 compatible with any bash script - if one was to run the script with zsh instead of popping it in Bash?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
What does the dialog look like when trying to open a 32-bit application? Can anyone share a screenshot?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
What does the dialog look like when trying to open a 32-bit application? Can anyone share a screenshot?
I already deleted all my 32-bit apps. Maybe I can install one real quick ...

Interesting that I can install 32-bit apps with no problem! Anyway, here's a screenshot. It's not the most exciting thing.

Screenshot 2019-06-07 at 19.50.00.png

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

I think it cannot be opened at all. I downloaded a game from App Store, and upon downloaded there was a big round circle with a diagonal line on it.
[doublepost=1559929985][/doublepost]

Interesting that I can install 32-bit apps with no problem! Anyway, here's a screenshot. It's not the most exciting thing.

View attachment 841568

I stand corrected! Apparently we can perform the Open action on them, only to be greeted with that message. I did not even click the icon that I was referring to, which had that symbol on it.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA

View attachment 841568
Interesting! I'm surprised Apple didn't make the dialog look like those two dialogs, for Classic and PowerPC applications. Both dialogs are consistent (see screenshots, both taken in Mojave). Perhaps in 10.16, Apple will make the 32-bit rejection dialog look more like the other rejection dialogs.

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.07.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.07.29 AM.png

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Is there still an option to arrange System Preferences icons alphabetically? (click View on the menu bar, then click "Organize by...")

Incidentally, I'm kind of surprised Apple didn't iOS-ize System Preferences by renaming it "Settings" and making the layout more iOS/iPad-like. Maybe 10.16?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Interesting! I'm surprised Apple didn't make the dialog look like those two dialogs, for Classic and PowerPC applications. Both dialogs are consistent (see screenshots, both taken in Mojave). Perhaps in 10.16, Apple will make the 32-bit rejection dialog look more like the other rejection dialogs.

View attachment 841572 View attachment 841573
It’s similar to the message regarding 32-bit apps on iOS. (This message is from iOS 12 running on my iPad Air 2 though it still references 11).

5BCD7620-0C47-4E86-94E2-BED011FC33C7.jpeg

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
It’s similar to the message regarding 32-bit apps on iOS. (This message is from iOS 12 running on my iPad Air 2 though it still references 11).

View attachment 841630
True. Classic and PowerPC didn't have the shared iOS commonality, so that might be why. Hmm. Maybe after a year, once everyone's forgotten about 32-bit, Apple will change the dialog on both OSes to be more consistent with the macOS dialogs.

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Another find I highly anticipate. Finally you can use multi-monitor desktops: You can move files and folders to another's screen desktop! Actually said, that it took them that long… but anyhow: Finally!

Edit: Appears not to be true. False alarm.

Last edited:
Reactions: ideaprison

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
True. Classic and PowerPC didn't have the shared iOS commonality, so that might be why. Hmm. Maybe after a year, once everyone's forgotten about 32-bit, Apple will change the dialog on both OSes to be more consistent with the macOS dialogs.

Don’t get your hopes up to high ;)... when dragging a removable drive onto the trash icon to eject, it still says trash instead of eject!

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Another find I highly anticipate. Finally you can use multi-monitor desktops: You can move files and folders to another's screen desktop! Actually said, that it took them that long… but anyhow: Finally!

uh, that always worked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.