Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I guess it's kaby lake or later which is the first CPU to support hardware 10 bit HEVC encode among other things
I wonder if also the jump to Metal 3 will make things difficult for those of us using older machines.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Try fusion, Parallels or MS office late version and you will be in trouble.
AC295C1D-A627-4BE6-AFC3-39562F19ED8F.jpeg

Running the latest version of Office 2021 just fine. It’s only an issue on non Metal machines. My 2012 Mini can run pretty much all software, including every Apple Arcade game I’ve tried :)

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Looks like my (just) 5 year old MBA (2017) won't be able to run Ventura. Making the planned obsolescence envelope even tighter, Apple? Not even a hobbled version, as is the case with Monterey now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 4.58.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 4.58.01 PM.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Sad
Reactions: Larsvonhier

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Looks like my (just) 5 year old MBA (2017) won't be able to run Ventura. Making the planned obsolescence envelope even tighter, Apple? Not even a hobbled version, as is the case with Monterey now.
The 2017 Air is essentially the same model as the 2015 one and still uses a 5th generation Intel chip. Intel will most like discontinue its support for those soon (4th gen an older are already dropped since 2020) and even Microsoft has dropped support for them in Windows 11. Your machine will still be supported via security updates for at least two more years in Monterey, even if no way is found to enable installing Ventura on it.

Reactions: hvds and webg3

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
ok for anyone like me that owns super ultra wide 5120x1440 it still works on Mac OS 13, just go to Settings Display and Set Resolution from Default to Scaled, and for some reason the resolution is set to 5120x1440 (low resolution) lol it thinks 3840x1080 is higher than 5120x1440. well it works 120hz works im using a MacBook Air m1 with this monitor

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
This is pretty shocking Apple dropped support for some Macs that they still sold new less than 3 years ago. As Mr. Macinstosh points out on Twitter:

"2013 Mac Pro was sold until Dec 2019
2017 MacBook Air was sold until July 2019
2014 Mac mini was sold until Oct 2018"

Are there particular hardware requirements that these Macs simply can't meet?
I expect Apple to accelerate dropping support of Intel machines before fully pulling the plug on new OS’s for Intel Macs in a couple of years. They’d still live up to their promise of support for ”years to come” by releasing security patches for the last compatible OS.

The machines dropped this year all have in common that they lack hardware decoding support of H.265/HEVC video.

ylluminate

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
It will be interesting to see the lawsuits roll in. After New York (and soon Colorado) passing the "Right to Repair" bill that will force Apple to allow users and small mom-and-pop repair shops to get repair information and components to be able to "reasonably" repair their Apple laptops, iPads, and iPhones I can see the very easy argument and logical extension that it is illegal for Apple to obsolesce hardware like they've been doing.

Clearly just about anyone can agree that an older computer should still be relevant and able to do essential things like pay bills, check bank accounts, make purchases and so forth online without being forced to purchase new systems.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
It will be interesting to see the lawsuits roll in. After New York (and soon Colorado) passing the "Right to Repair" bill that will force Apple to allow users and small mom-and-pop repair shops to get repair information and components to be able to "reasonably" repair their Apple laptops, iPads, and iPhones I can see the very easy argument and logical extension that it is illegal for Apple to obsolesce hardware like they've been doing.

Clearly just about anyone can agree that an older computer should still be relevant and able to do essential things like pay bills, check bank accounts, make purchases and so forth online without being forced to purchase new systems.
The counter argument is that Catalina is still receiving security updates, so machines stuck there are still technically being supported even if they aren’t getting new OS features. The same will be true for machines stuck on Monterey.

Reactions: sebik and hvds

ylluminate

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
Well @headlessmike the problem is that several older systems I own pre 2009 have become nothing but "books" on a shelf or bookends in some cases. My old G5 systems just sit around looking pretty. It's pretty hard to get, the now mandated, new SSL updated browser families functional on such machines for such essential tasks as I note.

I really don't see a counter argument there at all, just a longer term fight.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Well @headlessmike the problem is that several older systems I own pre 2009 have become nothing but "books" on a shelf or bookends in some cases. My old G5 systems just sit around looking pretty. It's pretty hard to get, the now mandated, new SSL updated browser families functional on such machines for such essential tasks as I note.

I really don't see a counter argument there at all, just a longer term fight.
I’m all for keeping old machines running as long as possible, I have a G3 tower that I still play with from time to time, but there must also come a point where the OEM is no longer required to support something. I just don’t know where that point is.

Reactions: olad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.