Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Actually Automatic Dark Mode is working at 3am EST with or without Night Shift turned on or off. But Auto DM, wasn't working at 10pm EST with or without Night Shift. So yeah, strange indeed.

Now I am tempted to try this at 3am at my location.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
when i updated to 10.15.2, the siri icon in the menu bar that i'd previously removed re-appeared. did this happen to anyone else?

kinda tacky if apple thinks overriding user preferences to push their services is a good look.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I don't know if this is a bug but after the installation I put my Launchpad icons in a certain order. After a couple of reboots they got scattered and whatever caused it, created a 2nd page with two icons. I moved everything back to the first page.

I just checked and everything looks good so far.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I don't know if this is a bug but after the installation I put my Launchpad icons in a certain order. After a couple of reboots they got scattered and whatever caused it, created a 2nd page with two icons. I moved everything back to the first page.

I just checked and everything looks good so far.

Aha! Welcome to the Launchpad bug.

I have suffered it on my MBA 2017 since October. I used to reset Launchpad and leave it. But I have now (apparently) resolved it by moving the icons myself rather than resetting Launchpad via Terminal. This way, it has now survived days worth of reboots now. Since you moved the icons yourself, I do not expect you to find them scattered again.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Aha! Welcome to the Launchpad bug.

I have suffered it on my MBA 2017 since October. I used to reset Launchpad and leave it. But I have now (apparently) resolved it by moving the icons myself rather than resetting Launchpad via Terminal. This way, it has now survived days worth of reboots now. Since you moved the icons yourself, I do not expect you to find them scattered again.
Same thing happened when I installed Catalina on my 2012 Mini. All of my icons in Launchpad and the shortcuts in the Applications folder within Launchpad have moved back to their default position. Frustrating.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Same thing happened when I installed Catalina on my 2012 Mini. All of my icons in Launchpad and the shortcuts in the Applications folder within Launchpad have moved back to their default position. Frustrating.

it is very frustrating when we come to rely on a workflow and it breaks. Fortunately, moving icons manually has kept them in position for over a week's worth of reboots, and counting.

krusnof

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Topanga, CA
With the latest beta 10.15.3 and a new MBP16" 6-core, I have so many choppy/lagging interactions:
- Youtube and Vimeo videos are slow and choppy (it's not the internet)
- Keyboard interactions in Finder e.g. switching field with Tab
- Opening System Pref. panes and switching between them.
- And more

Am I the only one. Feedback submitted, but not sure if it's my new laptop, the beta, or combo hereof.

trues

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Unresponsive Touch Bar... Touch Bar eventually becomes responsive again, by itself... I do not know what triggers it to be unresponsive and I do not know what triggers it to become responsive again...

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Unresponsive Touch Bar... Touch Bar eventually becomes responsive again, by itself... I do not know what triggers it to be unresponsive and I do not know what triggers it to become responsive again...

T1 chipset or T2? The T2 is notorious for a lot of reasons, we might need to add this as well to the list.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Manually arranged Launchpad icons are persistent from one reboot to the next. However, they do get scattered whenever you upgrade to a new major version of macOS (e.g. from Mojave to Catalina). It's an old bug. Every major upgrade does that.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Manually arranged Launchpad icons are persistent from one reboot to the next. However, they do get scattered whenever you upgrade to a new major version of macOS (e.g. from Mojave to Catalina). It's an old bug. Every major upgrade does that.

That is probably why I never saw this during any upgrade ever, since I install fresh when I move between x.x releases. Moving from Mojave to Catalina, I installed fresh.

For me this bug was introduced in October 2019, when after updating to a beta version I found my Launchpad icons all scattered out. Resetting launchpad did not help, I would come back to scattered icons after a couple of restarts. Only moving icons manually has kept them in place.

My Feedback Assistant tells me it was 19B77a when I reported it, and that was one or two betas since I was facing that issue.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Idk... How do I figure out which T chipset come with my MacBook Pro 2018?

The 2018 notebooks come with T2. I do not have my Touch Bar MacBook Pro with me now, so I might be wrong on this, but the system information should have information on the Touch Bar and also the chipset. Again, I could be totally off the mark here, since I had my Touch Bar notebook for just a year and half before I sold it off.

Reactions: trues

trues

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
The 2018 notebooks come with T2. I do not have my Touch Bar MacBook Pro with me now, so I might be wrong on this, but the system information should have information on the Touch Bar and also the chipset. Again, I could be totally off the mark here, since I had my Touch Bar notebook for just a year and half before I sold it off.

"System information..." does contain information about the T chipset; thank you. It says there that mine has the T2 chipset.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Maurizio Marra

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2020
Hi everybody from Italy. This is my first post, after months of lurking of the threads about Mojave and Catalina on unsupported Macs (2010 Mini and mid 2009 MBP 17”).
The 17” started shutting off randomly a couple months ago, and didn’t work on battery, so I needed to pull the trigger on a new laptop; enter a MBP 16” (i7 512) on mid December.
Great machine, but 512 gb was not enough for my use, so yesterday January 3rd, I gave it back to the AS and changed it with a i9 1tb.
Noticeably faster and with enough archive space for some big swap files while doing rendering.
And now the bug: Maps shows a blank screen (no map nor satellite view) after installing win 10 (burp) with BootCamp.
Or better, I launched Maps after installing the BootCamp partition and OS, and it behaved that way.
I have already used Maps in the previous MBP 16”, without BootCamp and it worked flawlessly, so I erased BootCamp on the new MBP, and voilà, Maps works as expected...
I will send a feedback about this to Apple, but I am kindly asking the community: does anybody else have noticed this?
That’s all, and, a few days late, have a Great new Year.
P.S.: Catalina 10.15.2 from first start on both MBP 16”s...

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hi everybody from Italy. This is my first post, after months of lurking of the threads about Mojave and Catalina on unsupported Macs (2010 Mini and mid 2009 MBP 17”).
The 17” started shutting off randomly a couple months ago, and didn’t work on battery, so I needed to pull the trigger on a new laptop; enter a MBP 16” (i7 512) on mid December.
Great machine, but 512 gb was not enough for my use, so yesterday January 3rd, I gave it back to the AS and changed it with a i9 1tb.
Noticeably faster and with enough archive space for some big swap files while doing rendering.
And now the bug: Maps shows a blank screen (no map nor satellite view) after installing win 10 (burp) with BootCamp.
Or better, I launched Maps after installing the BootCamp partition and OS, and it behaved that way.
I have already used Maps in the previous MBP 16”, without BootCamp and it worked flawlessly, so I erased BootCamp on the new MBP, and voilà, Maps works as expected...
I will send a feedback about this to Apple, but I am kindly asking the community: does anybody else have noticed this?
That’s all, and, a few days late, have a Great new Year.
P.S.: Catalina 10.15.2 from first start on both MBP 16”s...

Welcome to MacRumors. :)

Does Maps behave that way even after restarting? I would not recommend removing Windows to check Maps again, pretty tedious job. Good of you to report, they can always have a look if they wish so desire.

Maurizio Marra

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2020
Welcome to MacRumors. :)

Does Maps behave that way even after restarting? I would not recommend removing Windows to check Maps again, pretty tedious job. Good of you to report, they can always have a look if they wish so desire.
Yes, it did.
Removing Windows was a matter of a few seconds, and the install took less than half an hour. Not so tedious if I really need to reinstall Win...

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Yes, it did.
Removing Windows was a matter of a few seconds, and the install took less than half an hour. Not so tedious if I really need to reinstall Win...

If not, then by all means remove and see if Maps works. That way, you can report that to Apple as well and hope for a quicker resolution.

Maurizio Marra

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2020
If not, then by all means remove and see if Maps works. That way, you can report that to Apple as well and hope for a quicker resolution.
As I wrote,
so I erased BootCamp on the new MBP, and voilà, Maps works as expected...
I removed Bootcamp and Maps worked.
Now I've installed BootCamp and Win again, restarted in MacOS, and Maps works...
Oh, well: **** happens.
Case closed. ?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
As I wrote,

I removed Bootcamp and Maps worked.
Now I've installed BootCamp and Win again, restarted in MacOS, and Maps works...
Oh, well: **** happens.
Case closed. ?

My eyes completely skimmed over that statement. My bad. :) Well, yes, the poop emoji happens.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
So I assume Catalina isn't safe to install yet? I bought my Mini last year and this is the longest I've gone without updating the OS

So I assume Catalina isn't safe to install yet? I bought my Mini last year and this is the longest I've gone without updating the OS
I have a late 2012 Mac Mini and a mid 2017 Mac Book Air, and i have successfully installed the latest version of Catalina, OS 10.15.2, on both machines. They are both working fine. I did do a clean, fresh installation, versus just an upgrade from Mojave (OS 10.14.6), and I of course waited until ALL my third party applications were compatible with Catalina.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

You need to know if the apps you use are kept updated. If they are, it is more than likely that by now they are 64-bit and Catalina-compatible. Catalina in itself has been a “bag of hurt” to a lot of people here, but 10.15.2 is smooth and stable. You can try with reasonable confidence.

You need to know if the apps you use are kept updated. If they are, it is more than likely that by now they are 64-bit and Catalina-compatible. Catalina in itself has been a “bag of hurt” to a lot of people here, but 10.15.2 is smooth and stable. You can try with reasonable confidence.
Such updates usually either need to be downloaded and installed, or happen via a "Check for Updates" (or something similar) in the File menu for the app.

Also, one can look at this site for such information:

I myself needed to wait for Tech Tool Pro to be compatible with Catalina, and that happened about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Thus, that is why I started with OS 10.15.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.