Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

juan985_Spain

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2019
So on latest Catalina 10.5.2 I see beachballs in programs like the Chrome browser exactly when I type a new url into the browser, and opening files with BBedit. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Also, when is the new update being released? Can anyone tell me if the above bug has been fixed? I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

I suffer the exact same issue

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2009
All i know is that a developer told me it’s an OS bug which they’ve reported to apple. Idk if it’s been fixed in the beta update?

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i thought touchid would only require passwords after restarts or long periods of inactivity? i walked away from my computer for 5 minutes and it required a manual password when i returned.

marcellux

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
I have Catalina 10.15.3 (Beta) running and I can't add photo's to the Tweetdeck app anymore. Somebody suggestions how to solve this?

Update: now I see that the picture does not show in the making of the tweet but when I proceed the photo is shown in the tweet!

Last edited:

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
i thought touchid would only require passwords after restarts or long periods of inactivity? i walked away from my computer for 5 minutes and it required a manual password when i returned.
It's controlled by this setting in your Security & Privacy preference pane, 5 minutes is the default.

Security&Privacy.png

Last edited:

richgoga

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
A minor annoyance, but still...
Every time I reboot my Mac, System Preferences opens on the Security & Privacy pane. Apps all have the acces they need, cant figure it out.

Reactions: martyjmclean

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
A minor annoyance, but still...
Every time I reboot my Mac, System Preferences opens on the Security & Privacy pane. Apps all have the acces they need, cant figure it out.

Can you try closing all windows before shutting down and toggling the "Reopen windows..." checkbox?

pavvel

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
I now there has been a lot said about the popping speaker bug that is heard when stopping youtube videos and stuff. A lot have reported this was fixed in .2 but I still have it.

What is worse than that though is I have a crackle/static sound which is especially noticeable when i'm working in Logic Pro X with certain sounds. I'm sure sometimes its there and others not.

I have tried on two identical machines and have the same issues so i'm assuming it's a Catalina bug.

Has anyone else noticed this bug persisting?

Thanks.

Floored

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
Just a thought but have you tried starting up holding the d key down and running the diagnostic? it usually makes my screens speakers make a racket and has the feel of the machine blowing it's nose or having a good cough, maybe worth a try?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
It's hard to believe people reading these forums are still upgrading to .2 Catalina.
Yes well, not everyone is as computer ignorant as the people found complaining in MR discussion forums like this one. Forums are filled with people who think they're a whole lot smarter than they are... and they're typically extremely stubborn as well. A deadly combination when it comes to computer use.

No problems with 10.15.2 on any of the Macs I work on (at least, none that weren't self-created).

Reactions: dotnet and GlenK

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
It's controlled by this setting in your Security & Privacy preference pane, 5 minutes is the default.

View attachment 888758

thanks for the suggestion, but it appears that is something different. mine is set to immediately; it just means that i will be immediately required to use touchid after sleeping my computer, vs remaining unlocked for the specified duration (tested and confirmed).

being forced to enter a password to enable touch id is something else, which i thought was normally reserved for restarts or after much longer periods of inactivity.

its almost as if catalina intermittently loses touchid authentication for no rhyme or reason, which diminishes its usefulness. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Peadogie

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
...being forced to enter a password to enable touch id is something else, which i thought was normally reserved for restarts or after much longer periods of inactivity.

its almost as if catalina intermittently loses touchid authentication for no rhyme or reason, which diminishes its usefulness. :(
Oh, I see. That's interesting because I've seen that on my iPhone 7 (iOS 12 and 13) since I got it. Totally random and annoying. :mad:

I have not had it happen in macOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevemiller

Floored

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
Yes well, not everyone is as computer ignorant as the people found complaining in MR discussion forums like this one. Forums are filled with people who think they're a whole lot smarter than they are... and they're typically extremely stubborn as well. A deadly combination when it comes to computer use.

No problems with 10.15.2 on any of the Macs I work on (at least, none that weren't self-created).
Some of us are old enough to remember backwards compatability at Apple

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Some of us are old enough to remember backwards compatability at Apple
I used a computer before Apple even existed. So my age isn't an issue in remembering what computer use has been like. I'm not sure what backward compatibility has to do with the immediate discussion, but the reality is that backward compatibility is as good, if not better than it has ever been.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I noticed a bug in the Search bar of the Finder. When I click on Search on the local (built-in) drive, it only searches for files in the current folder and subfolders as it is supposed to do. But on special locations like the Desktop and external drives, it searches the whole Mac or external drive not just subfolders but also parent folders. I tried to remove Finder Preferences but it didn't help. I also tried to rebuild the Spotlight index which didn't help either. I explicitly do not want to search the whole Mac but only in the current folder!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 9.28.32 .png
    Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 9.28.32 .png
    65.8 KB · Views: 139

duddleyduddley

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
With the latest beta 10.15.3 and a new MBP16" 6-core, I have so many choppy/lagging interactions:
- Youtube and Vimeo videos are slow and choppy (it's not the internet)
- Keyboard interactions in Finder e.g. switching field with Tab
- Opening System Pref. panes and switching between them.
- And more

Am I the only one. Feedback submitted, but not sure if it's my new laptop, the beta, or combo hereof.

Same computer, slightly different config....... and will hold off on upgrade.

THANKFULLY other than a few minor wobbles with STACKS, smooth sailing with Catalina 10.15.2
[automerge]1580251239[/automerge]
STACKS WIERDNESS

MBP 16-inch / 10.15.2 — keep having issues with stacks.

+ icons bunching up
+ arrows to group images disappear
+ clicking on icons just next to stack icon causes expansion / collapse of nearest stack

Have tried
+ enlarging / shrinking desktop icons
+ SAFE MODE
+ turning GROUP BY STACK on / off
+ DISK UTILITY

Keeps coming back

Thoughts?

Last edited:

duddleyduddley

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
Such updates usually either need to be downloaded and installed, or happen via a "Check for Updates" (or something similar) in the File menu for the app.

Also, one can look at this site for such information:

I myself needed to wait for Tech Tool Pro to be compatible with Catalina, and that happened about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Thus, that is why I started with OS 10.15.2.

How does TECHTOOLSPRO compare to DISKWARRIOR (my usual go to files & disk repair utility?

How does TECHTOOLSPRO compare to DISKWARRIOR (my usual go to files & disk repair utility?
First, no need for ALL CAPS! The two products are called TechTool Pro, and Disk Warrior.

Secondly, from what I have read about Disk Warrior, and also the other very good maintenance/repair software called Drive Genius, is that TechTool Pro is the only one which can "properly and effectively" handle the APFS Format that Apple has been using recently.

The information contained in this link is educational about these 3 products:

Well, after doing a clean installation of OS 10.15.3 on both of my Macs, I still have the "on again, off again" phantom launching of the Brave browser after startup on my Mac Mini only. Does not happen on my Mac Book Air.

I will be purchasing a new 2018 Mac Mini this weekend, and I already have the USB-C to VGA Adapter for connecting my trusty Sony 19" monitor. Will see if this minor annoyance goes away.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Well, after doing a clean installation of OS 10.15.3 on both of my Macs, I still have the "on again, off again" phantom launching of the Brave browser after startup on my Mac Mini only. Does not happen on my Mac Book Air.

I will be purchasing a new 2018 Mac Mini this weekend, and I already have the USB-C to VGA Adapter for connecting my trusty Sony 19" monitor. Will see if this minor annoyance goes away.
I have Brave installed on my Mac mini 2014 with SSD, and I haven’t seen that yet, on 10.15.2 at least

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Secondly, from what I have read about Disk Warrior, and also the other very good maintenance/repair software called Drive Genius, is that TechTool Pro is the only one which can "properly and effectively" handle the APFS Format that Apple has been using recently.

Not really. No repair utility can rebuild the directory of APFS disks until Apple releases documentation about how to write to APFS disks, as they did about how to read APFS by September 2018. Not all developers state that clearly, but that is the current situation. Time to send feedback to Apple about it:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.