Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
It is very hard to delete the Recovery Partition if you are running OSX off the same drive.
Make sure you boot off DosDude1's Installer on a USB Stick and then you can use the Terminal or Disk Utility App.

If you want the Recovery Partition to show up in Disk Utility, make sure you do the following in Terminal:

sudo diskutil list

(P.S. You probably do not need to use sudo if you are booted off the USB installer).

Look at the output and determine which is the Recovery Partition. It is often disk0s3.

then type (assuming the Recovery Partition is located st disk0s3)

sudo diskutil mount /dev/disk0s3

Then you should be able to use the Disk Utility app to delete the Recovery Partition, change the partition table etc.
But Remember to back up your mac first just in case something goes wrong.

If you want to delete the Recovery Partition using Terminal (when booted off DosDude1's USB Installer stick), type the following (assuming your Recovery Partition is on disk0s3 and your Mac Partition is on disk0s2 and you are using HFS+ not APFS):

sudo diskutil list
diskutil eraseVolume JHFS+ Blank disk0s3
diskUtil mergeParitions JHFS+ disk0s2 disk0s3

Good Luck.

Reactions: K two

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
My last post might have caused confusion. You do not need to use sudo when booted off the DosDude1 USB installer.

To delete the recovery partition, follow these steps:

0. Back up your Mac!

1. Boot off DosDude1's USB Installer.

2. Open Terminal

3. Type "diskutil list" to see all the partitions.

4. Review the output from step 3 above. Determine where the Recovery Partition is located. (It is typically located at disk0s3). Determine where the Mac Partition is located. (The Mac partition is typically located at disk0s2).

5. Erase the data on the Recovery Partition by typing the following (assuming disk0s3 is the locations for the Recovery Partition)

eraseVolume JHFS+ Blank disk0s3

6. Merge the Mac Partition with the blank Recovery Partition by typing the following (assuming the Mac Partition is at disk0s2 and the Recovery Partition is at disk0s3)

mergeParitions JHFS+ disk0s2 disk0s3

7. Pray!

You are done!

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
My last post might have caused confusion. You do not need to use sudo when booted off the DosDude1 USB installer.

To delete the recovery partition, follow these steps:

0. Back up your Mac!

1. Boot off DosDude1's USB Installer.

2. Open Terminal

3. Type "diskutil list" to see all the partitions.

4. Review the output from step 3 above. Determine where the Recovery Partition is located. (It is typically located at disk0s3). Determine where the Mac Partition is located. (The Mac partition is typically located at disk0s2).

5. Erase the data on the Recovery Partition by typing the following (assuming disk0s3 is the locations for the Recovery Partition)

eraseVolume JHFS+ Blank disk0s3

6. Merge the Mac Partition with the blank Recovery Partition by typing the following (assuming the Mac Partition is at disk0s2 and the Recovery Partition is at disk0s3)

mergeParitions JHFS+ disk0s2 disk0s3

7. Pray!

You are done!

Thanks. For some reason that didn't work for me. I kept getting the error "69874: Couldn't modify partition map" after the eraseVolume command. Separately, after trying the "diskutil mount /dev/disk0s3" I got a "Volume on disk0s3 failed to mount" error.

Wonder if my recovery partition is damaged. And if so, clean installing everything again from scratch using Dosdude's method, would that repair it?

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
Yes, a clean install using Dosdude1's installer should fix your hard disk problems unless the hard drive is physically damaged.
Make sure you backup your date first.
Then you may have to follow the steps here:
https://www.wdiaz.org/couldnt-modify-partition-map-on-macos/

Once your hard drive is wiped, reinstall High Sierra using the Dosdude1 USB installer.
P.S. If you want to ensure that the latest Security Update will install successfully after the re-installation of High Sierra, you should follow my steps in Option 1 to update the Dosdude1 USB installer before you use it!

OPTION 1. Backup your data and reinstall High Sierra on your unsupported Mac using Doddude1's installer BUT FIRST you will need to update Dosdude's installer with the last Recovery Partition software copied over from Security Update 2019-003.
(To do this, please see my post
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-update-the-recovery-partition-in-high-sierra.2181484/ )

Reactions: ATC

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Any chance the version of HS that you can download using Dosdude's tool will have security update 2019-003 baked in?

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
Sorry I can do that due to Apple copyright issues.
Perhaps someone can write a simple script that will easily allow someone to update the DosDude1 installer with the latest Recovery Update image from the latest Security Update.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Sorry I can do that due to Apple copyright issues.
Perhaps someone can write a simple script that will easily allow someone to update the DosDude1 installer with the latest Recovery Update image from the latest Security Update.
I was wondering because I thought I saw a note somewhere that Dosdude's tool downloaded HS directly from Apple's server. The latest clean install build of 10.13.6 from the tool is 17G65 so I'm assuming it has none of the security patches. But in the MAS it shows no updates available. I guess I'll have to download them separately.

On another note, even after the clean install I'm still getting the same errors when trying to delete the recovery partition.

Edit: Is there a standalone downloadable update for 10.13.6 (17G65) that contains all the security fixes up to, and including, 2019-003? Or do I have to download and install 001, 002 and 003 individually?

Last edited:

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
Security Update 2019-003 contains all the previous Security Updates.
You just need to download and install the Security Update 2019-003.

But as noted earlier, Security Update 2019-003 will not install properly on an unsupported Mac unless you implement one of the methods (of fixes) that I listed in one of the previous posts.

Personally I like to keep the recovery Partition in case in need to repair the hard disk using Disk Utility booted off the Recovery Partition. Of course, you can also use Dosdude1's installer and run Disk Utility too but I often do not have Dosdude1's installer handy when I am out and about.

It is not hard to update the Recovery Partition with the latest Recovery Partition image from Security Update 2019-003 using my script once you extract the Recovery Image Image from Security Update 2019-003.

See
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-update-the-recovery-partition-in-high-sierra.2181484/

Rob

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Security Update 2019-003 contains all the previous Security Updates.
You just need to download and install the Security Update 2019-003.

But as noted earlier, Security Update 2019-003 will not install properly on an unsupported Mac unless you implement one of the methods (of fixes) that I listed in one of the previous posts.

Personally I like to keep the recovery Partition in case in need to repair the hard disk using Disk Utility booted off the Recovery Partition. Of course, you can also use Dosdude1's installer and run Disk Utility too but I often do not have Dosdude1's installer handy when I am out and about.

It is not hard to update the Recovery Partition with the latest Recovery Partition image from Security Update 2019-003 using my script once you extract the Recovery Image Image from Security Update 2019-003.

See
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-update-the-recovery-partition-in-high-sierra.2181484/

Rob

I'm in the process of updating Disdude's installer, the process under "OPTIONAL" section in the post you linked to.

2 questions; 1. Those 4 files you move to the USB drive where the installer is (AppleDiagnostics.chunklist, AppleDiagnostics.dmg, BaseSystem.chunklist, BaseSystem.dmg), files with the same names were already on the USB that was created using Dosdude's tool, I assume you replace them? And 2. when clean installing HS from the newly modified USB drive, at the post install stage running the post-install patches, do I need to check the box for patching the Recovery Partition or leave it blank which is the default?

Thanks again.

UPDATE:
I replaced the 4 files referenced above on HS installer flashdrive and kept the recovery partition patch box unchecked in the post-install.

SU2019-003 along with other updates were installed through the MAS and this time they didn't hang. And now the system shows build number 17G7024 and all the updates are correctly showing up as installed in both the MAS Updates and system report - Installations.

Hopefully future security updates will install without issues. Thanks for the help Rob.

Last edited:

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
I am glad you were able to reinstall High Sierra and successfully install the HS Security Update 2019-003.

And you as figured out, yes you must replace the 4 files. And if you want to be able to use the Recovery Partition, you should check the box for patching the Recovery Partition. (I have no idea why Doddude1 decided to leave it unchecked by default).

Since you did not check the box for the patch you will not be able to boot off the Recovery Partition.
You can always run the DosDude1 installer again and run the Post Install tool with the box for the Recovery Patch checked.
(No need to reinstall High Sierra. Just run the Post install tool).

Reactions: ATC

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
I'm waiting a few days before updating my own system, given how Apple had to re-issue 2019-002 a few days after the initial release.

After the prerequisite wait, SecUpd 2019-003 non-Recovery install was "Successful". Build and logs nominal.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Security Update 2019-004 Public Beta seemed to install fine on the 3,1 patched with DosDude's patcher.

Trouble is I'm not sure how I ended up on the Beta channel???

philk34

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2019
Hello, the terminal commands do not work, I have this error message
(cf text below)
"Pro-de-philippe:~ philippekaiser$ pkgutil --expand/Users/philippekaiser/Desktop/SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.pkg ~/Desktop/Expanded
pkgutil: unrecognized option `--expand/Users/philippekaiser/Desktop/SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.pkg'"

RobK88

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
You are missing a space after --expand. Here are the right command for your system.

pkgutil --expand /Users/philippekaiser/Desktop/SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.pkg ~/Desktop/Expanded

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Hello, the terminal commands do not work, I have this error message
(cf text below)
"Pro-de-philippe:~ philippekaiser$ pkgutil --expand/Users/philippekaiser/Desktop/SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.pkg ~/Desktop/Expanded
pkgutil: unrecognized option `--expand/Users/philippekaiser/Desktop/SecUpd2019-003HighSierra.pkg'"

They do work just do it properly, they have been used many times.

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
yesterday did a clean install of High Sierra 10.13.6, on a 4,1 17" Macbook Pro.
also did the APFS rom patch.

Running of an ssd with apfs.

System installed fine and running well, patched with the latest high sierra patcher.
But I don't get Trackpad nor Keyboard prefances pane visible, MacOS does not see a Trackpad or keyboard at all.
How can I fix this ?

System is totally updated at the moment, I also reran the patcher tool, but did not help so far..

godindav1

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Hello, fellow Mac life extenders:

I apologize for my level technical know-how is limited once we get outside of the standard process that Dosdude1 blessed us all with. Thanks to him, I have been able to keep 3 family machines in the house all running great on High Sierra like they are new, at a time that money is very scarce.

With the news of the latest intel vulnerabilities, I'd really like to get this latest patch done. I've been reading through the thread and I see people working through problems they have had with much skill.

Could someone post a step by step process (as of today) to update these three machines to the latest High Sierra patch? Preferably without a clean install if possible.

1. (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) MacBook5,1 (aftermarket SSD)
2. Mac mini (Late 2009) Macmini3,1 (aftermarket SSD)
3. Mac (24-inch, Early 2009) iMac9,1 (Stock HDD)

Any help would be very much appreciated. I apologize if the answer is in this thread, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the starting point.

Thanks very much

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015

I apologize for my level technical know-how is limited once we get outside of the standard process that Dosdude1 blessed us all with. Thanks to him, I have been able to keep 3 family machines in the house all running great on High Sierra like they are new, at a time that money is very scarce.

With the news of the latest intel vulnerabilities, I'd really like to get this latest patch done. I've been reading through the thread and I see people working through problems they have had with much skill.

Could someone post a step by step process (as of today) to update these three machines to the latest High Sierra patch? Preferably without a clean install if possible.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I apologize if the answer is in this thread, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the starting point.

Thanks very much

So what version of High Sierra are these Macs on, and if they are on 10.13.6 did you install the latest security update that was released last week, should be available via the App Store.

godindav1

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
So what version of High Sierra are these Macs on, and if they are on 10.13.6 did you install the latest security update that was released last week, should be available via the App Store.

Thanks for the reply! much appreciated.

So I kind of got forced/tricked to update to 10.13.6 on the machines at one point a little while ago. I wasn't trusting it all the way as I recall at one point in this thread people were applying the security updates from the app store as a normal Mac user would. However, when people would research in the system profiler they would see that even though it would say it was on the new version it was kind of a false positive and that the latest security update had not really been applied.

I hadn't yet tried updating to the one last week through the app store because I wasn't certain if that would work and possibly get me the no sign of death. I would really like to apply last weeks patch.

Am I good to try it through the app store or do I need to follow a process?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

Thanks very much
I've tried a number of the workarounds to get the updates to install properly but had issues (I blame myself for that as I'm not terminal savvy). I then modified Dosdude's 13.6 HS installer on the USB flash drive per RobK88's post and did a clean install then restore from TM backup, it was smooth and easy, and most importantly, all subsequent updates installed flawlessly through the MAS, including security update 2019-003. I know you said you prefer not to do a clean install, but in my experience doing a clean install (especially if you have a TM backup) using the modified 13.6 installer was the best and easiest option that I've tried.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I did a clean High Sierra install yesterday and installed a security update 2019-003 through the App Store just like you will do for a supported Mac. Update comes up as installed in the App Store and Software/Installations. No post install patches required.

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Thanks for the reply! much appreciated.

So I kind of got forced/tricked to update to 10.13.6 on the machines at one point a little while ago. I wasn't trusting it all the way as I recall at one point in this thread people were applying the security updates from the app store as a normal Mac user would. However, when people would research in the system profiler they would see that even though it would say it was on the new version it was kind of a false positive and that the latest security update had not really been applied.

I hadn't yet tried updating to the one last week through the app store because I wasn't certain if that would work and possibly get me the no sign of death. I would really like to apply last weeks patch.

Am I good to try it through the app store or do I need to follow a process?

Yes try it through the App Store first, make sure the Mac is connected to your router via a cabled connection, for a quicker and more robust connection. Don't use the Mac for anything else whilst it is downloading, and keep an eye on it to make sure it goes through the whole download and installation process.

limpiacristales

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
So ever since I upgraded to High Sierra, it would appear that I get occasional "NSURLErrorDomain error -1012" followed by "Failed Software Update - Refusing invalid certificate from host: swscan.apple.com" messages.

What's strange is it seems to clear itself up if I start VPN and retry.

i have an outdated macbook Pro 17" mid 2009, and working with high sierra thanks to dosdude great work.
i am having the same issue... When i try to upgrade apps in App Store, when it is searching for new available updates, there comes an NSURLErrorDomain -1100.
i don't know if i am the only one, but I can't use itunes to sincronice with my iPhone. In iTunes i can´t see the iphone, but i can (and full functionaly) for example in Photos. So i tried to update Itunes with the error message NSURLErrorDomain -1100.
any help?
am i alone with this? :)
thank you in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.