Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
It is not the internet connection, unfortunately. When I click the "updates" tab, the little 'wheel' on the top left corner starts to show it is loading, then gets stuck before it completes one revolution. Reloading does not change anything, connecting to the internet through a cable doesn't change a thing either.
Are you logged in to the App Store whilst you are trying this, or won't. it let you do that. You could make a new user account with admin privileges and try opening the App Store from there, you will need to login with your Apple ID.

Reactions: TimothyR734

videotape74

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2016
I keep receiving this error when trying to do a fresh install of High Sierra using @dosdude1 High Sierra Patcher. I have tried several USB sticks and downloaded the installer, directly from the Patcher several times. All of these USB drives install El Capitan fine but for some reason High Sierra won't install.

I am using a mid-2009 MacBook Pro 5,4 with a SSD installed. I have also made sure that SIP is disabled beforehand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

9AfALqP.jpg

Last edited:

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
I keep receiving this error when trying to do a fresh install of High Sierra using @dosdude1 High Sierra Patcher. I have tried several USB sticks and downloaded the installer, directly from the Patcher several times. All of these USB drives install El Capitan fine but for some reason High Sierra won't install.

I am using a mid-2009 MacBook Pro 5,4 with a SSD installed. I have also made sure that SIP is disabled beforehand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you run Disk Utility rom the USB installer to check for errors?

9AfALqP.jpg

Hybes

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2016
Has anyone found a workaround for the red screen glitches using an AMD Radeon HD 7950 on a Mac Pro 3,1?

Is the only solution to install an Nvidia GTX 680? Is that the best Nvidia card you can put in one of these old beasts and resolve the graphic glitches?

TIA

bmillar

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Has anyone found a workaround for the red screen glitches using an AMD Radeon HD 7950 on a Mac Pro 3,1?

Is the only solution to install an Nvidia GTX 680? Is that the best Nvidia card you can put in one of these old beasts and resolve the graphic glitches?

TIA
+1 for that request, I'm late to the party on this thread, I have a Mac Pro 3,1 I've been using the Sierra dosdude build for a few years, but now I have to move up to High Sierra for Logic 10.4.5. My asus card has a flashing glitchiness. I installed a 5770 last night and still the glitchiness, not a red screen however. I've ran the patch again, no luck. Still glitching, flashing, rolling horizontal lines that move from bottom to top vertically, screen redraws every few seconds on Logic mixer view etc, open up a plugin GUI and it's black inside, not GUI. I'm gonna try the 2.3.2 High Sierra patch I read about in some thread #1700 ish. If that fails I have a seller lined up for a Nvidia GXT 285 , for $50 that'll be the next step for me. Is the 680 the best case scenario I'm asking myself too .

Update: I bought the GTX 285 ; $40 , failed to realize it takes two PCI-E apple 6 pin molex power cables, sourced another from a friend and I'm back in business. Ran that script that uninstalled the amd gpu patch and all seems good now, I'm running the GTX 285 alongside the original Radeon card that came with my Mac Pro 3,1 running 3 or 4 monitors at the moment, seems pretty good. I do get the occasional audio drop out when first playing audio from a stream, itunes or logic , but it's rare and doesn't affect me too negatively, mostly doing work in Logic and happy to be running 10.4.5 the latest version atm on a machine that's coming up on 12 years old , it's older than my youngest child and I'm a Grandparent .

Last edited:

Anewcomb28

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

Firstly, I've successfully installed HS 10.13.6 on a 3,1 Mac Pro following the easy instructions for the provided patcher from @dosdude1 Thanks!

Secondly, I would like to know if the latest patcher version that I used for the install has "updated" the recovery section so it's ready for security update 2019-003 to be installed without recovery update failure?

I'm pretty good with computers, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do the replacement of files myself for the recovery part of the update like a few others have successfully done for 2018-001.

And lastly, I did get (1) kernel panic this morning that I believe was due to my GPU or Apple drivers based on the report. My card is an Nvidia 8800GT. Should I maybe install the Nvidia web driver for this card and this OS build, or 'should' the Apple drivers be ok?

Last edited:

Anewcomb28

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2019
Ok as a follow up to my post above, I decided to follow the instructions in post #4407 and after I reinstalled the modified Dosdude1 High Sierra OS, update 2019-003 installed perfectly and now shows under system installations as installed software!

I've also not experienced anymore kernel panics...well, so far. Everything is snappy and running as it should on my MP 3,1.

Last edited:

Anewcomb28

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2019

9AfALqP.jpg
I've seen this before when I had a mid 2012 mbp that I was trying to do a clean install of HS on. For me, it was happening because the system date was way old, I had to open terminal from the installer and fetch the correct date and time from Apple's servers before I started the install again. Worked like a charm!

At the time my battery was dead and needed to be replaced so I'd run off the ac charger, but every time I unplugged it, it wouldn't hold the correct date. So before I got the battery replaced I tried to do a clean install and that was the error I kept getting. I installed a new battery and it always held the correct date after that. Once the operating system was installed with the correct date, it never had issues booting to the desktop, regardless of a dead battery. Basically that date only seemed to matter during the clean install process for High Sierra.

I don't know if this is causing your error, but here's the thread that helped me:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8091760

Last edited:

Mac Pro Convert

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2016
Hi all,
I have just purchased a 2010 5,1 Mac Pro
with dual 3.46Ghz hex core Xeon's and 48Gig of 1333Mhz ram,
I swapped The SSD's out of my old 2008 3,1 Mac Pro into my new 5,1
that was running Dos Dudes patched High Sierra.

My question is this,
How do i uninstall the patches that the patcher installed?
i can uninstall patcher easy enough, however the patched files and drivers it installed are still
present in the OS and i would like to uninstall them with out having to re-format my whole OS.

can this be done or will i have to re format?

Cheers

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Hi all,

My question is this,
i can uninstall patcher easy enough, however the patched files and drivers it installed are still
present in the OS and i would like to uninstall them with out having to re-format my whole OS.

Cheers
Create a bootable installer, @dosdude1 's patcher will do the service, and install over your current OS.
DON'T apply the post installation patches and make sure you have a current BACKUP.

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Hi all,

My question is this,

Cheers
Your Mac Pro 5.1 is supported under High Sierra and Mojave (with a Metal capable graphics card) so there is no point in putting a patched copy of it on your machine. If you just install High Sierra over what you have got this will probably overwrite the patched files to the stock High Sierra ones. Do you have a copy of the High Sierra install app, not the patched USB installer?

phed

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Ok as a follow up to my post above, I decided to follow the instructions in post #4407 and after I reinstalled the modified Dosdude1 High Sierra OS, update 2019-003 installed perfectly and now shows under system installations as installed software!

I've also not experienced anymore kernel panics...well, so far. Everything is snappy and running as it should on my MP 3,1.
Yes, I installed the update, unfortunately, the monitor brightness cannot adjust any more, either with the keyboard or the System Preferences. Any work around? My Mac is iMac 8,1.

Last edited:

Anewcomb28

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2019
Yes, I installed the update, unfortunately, the monitor brightness cannot adjust any more, either with the keyboard or the System Preferences. Any work around? My Mac is iMac 8,1.
I'm not sure about this, but maybe you need to boot into the dosdude1 installer again and reapply the (post install patches) for your system again? I really don't know as I'm guessing here...but the update may have reset/overwritten a few of those patched files?..

That's just something I'd try, but hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in

Mac Pro Convert

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2016
Your Mac Pro 5.1 is supported under High Sierra and Mojave (with a Metal capable graphics card) so there is no point in putting a patched copy of it on your machine. If you just install High Sierra over what you have got this will probably overwrite the patched files to the stock High Sierra ones. Do you have a copy of the High Sierra install app, not the patched USB installer?

The patched High Sierra install was already on the drive,
as i stated i swapped the drives out of my 2008 3,1 that was running patched High Sierra,

Have already tried RE-installing a Fresh UN-patched copy of High Sierra over
the patched install, it did not over write the patched files,
which is why i came here and asked how to UN-install the patches.

mdbuddin

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2019
I have a Imac 9,1 .... I already have an installed copy of High Sierra from another machine . My iMac when in recovery mode will turn off mouse so i can't enter csrutil command . My bluetooth doesn't work either. Someone told me all i need to do is run post install patcher but the installer will not let me jump to that spot . Suggestions ?

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
as i stated i swapped the drives out of my 2008 3,1 that was running patched High Sierra,

I had brought this up probably in the Sierra boards trying to figure out how to do the same thing. I never got around to it but was under the impression that just overwriting the current system with a fresh OS install would do the trick but you are saying this isn't the case. Seems like it wouldn't be that complex for the post install tool to have a reset option for all patched files, but I have no clue how any of this is done so maybe it is complicated. In any event, there should be a process for uninstalling the patches for people going from patched systems to newer machines.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I have a Imac 9,1 .... I already have an installed copy of High Sierra from another machine . My iMac when in recovery mode will turn off mouse so i can't enter csrutil command . My bluetooth doesn't work either. Someone told me all i need to do is run post install patcher but the installer will not let me jump to that spot . Suggestions ?

Hardware issues? I like applying post install patches with the target drive connected externally via USB. You can use any Mac(including supported) or Target Disk Mode to apply patches, just make sure you are selecting patches for your target model.

I believe the patcher re-writes frameworks and kexts and does not keep a copy of originals therefore there is nothing to go back to. I would think that re-installing the fresh copy of High Sierra on top of your patched one would do the trick but I only ever done a clean install myself.

mdbuddin

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2019
I had brought this up probably in the Sierra boards trying to figure out how to do the same thing. I never got around to it but was under the impression that just overwriting the current system with a fresh OS install would do the trick but you are saying this isn't the case. Seems like it wouldn't be that complex for the post install tool to have a reset option for all patched files, but I have no clue how any of this is done so maybe it is complicated. In any event, there should be a process for uninstalling the patches for people going from patched systems to newer machines.
[doublepost=1561893224][/doublepost]Fresh install cured it ... The main problem was the old sys would turn off the keyboard and mouse in recovery mode. The High Sierra installer allowed me to enter the CSRUTIL command from terminal and it worked. Part of the problem seems to have been a bad USB stick ..

Anewcomb28

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2019
[doublepost=1561893224][/doublepost]Fresh install cured it ... The main problem was the old sys would turn off the keyboard and mouse in recovery mode. The High Sierra installer allowed me to enter the CSRUTIL command from terminal and it worked. Part of the problem seems to have been a bad USB stick ..
Yeah anytime I've ever done a fresh install of High Sierra, I've had to use a wired mouse and keyboard until the system booted into the os for the first time. Very strange, as HS seems to be the only OS installer (that I've noticed) that's forced me to break out the old wired accessories

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Yeah anytime I've ever done a fresh install of High Sierra, I've had to use a wired mouse and keyboard until the system booted into the os for the first time. Very strange, as HS seems to be the only OS installer (that I've noticed) that's forced me to break out the old wired accessories

This probably has something to do with re-building a prelinked kernel. If I remember correctly just a couple of restarts fixed it on its own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.