Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I installed High Sierra on my 3,1 Mac Mini (late 2009) today, and formatted my SSD to Extended (I prefer it) so I can't do updates via the app store.

My question... I used the @dosdude1 High Sierra patcher to download it also. This downloaded 10.13.6, but will it have the recent 2019 03 security update already, or do I need to download it and install the update myself? It came out on the 13th, so I'm not sure if it's baked into the installer I downloaded today.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
What makes you think you can't get updates via the App Store?
Seems you might be confusing High Sierra with Mojave, which does need APFS to update.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I installed High Sierra on my 3,1 Mac Mini (late 2009) today, and formatted my SSD to Extended (I prefer it) so I can't do updates via the app store.

My question... I used the @dosdude1 High Sierra patcher to download it also. This downloaded 10.13.6, but will it have the recent 2019 03 security update already, or do I need to download it and install the update myself? It came out on the 13th, so I'm not sure if it's baked into the installer I downloaded today.

You will be able to get updates from the MAS. No, the installer downloaded through the tool will install 10.13.6 without the latest security updates, and Safari will be ver 11, not 12. One way to check is to look at the build number by going to About This Mac and clicking the "Version 10.13.6" under the title macOS it then shows the build number in brackets. Yours should say 17G65, after the latest updates it will change to 17G7024.

If the MAS continues to show no updates available like mine did, you can download the standalone Safari 12.1.1 update and for me after installing it, that triggered the MAS to show available updates (iTunes 12.8.2, iTunes Device Support Update and Security Update 2019-003).

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
You will be able to get updates from the MAS. No, the installer downloaded through the tool will install 10.13.6 without the latest security updates, and Safari will be ver 11, not 12. One way to check is to look at the build number by going to About This Mac and clicking the "Version 10.13.6" under the title macOS it then shows the build number in brackets. Yours should say 17G65, after the latest updates it will change to 17G7024.

If the MAS continues to show no updates available like mine did, you can download the standalone Safari 12.1.1 update and for me after installing it, that triggered the MAS to show available updates (iTunes 12.8.2, iTunes Device Support Update and Security Update 2019-003).

I checked the build I'm on, and I'm only at 17G65, which is 10.13.6, but with none of the security updates that followed 10.13.6. So that's 5 security updates in total I'm missing, and don't show up in the app store. And I also can't install any directly.

I'll try your updating Safari trick after work today.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I checked the build I'm on, and I'm only at 17G65, which is 10.13.6, but with none of the security updates that followed 10.13.6. So that's 5 security updates in total I'm missing, and don't show up in the app store. And I also can't install any directly.

I'll try your updating Safari trick after work today.
That is correct. Keep in mind security update 2019-003 will include all the previous security updates. So you’ll be fully up to date once that one is installed.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
That is correct. Keep in mind security update 2019-003 will include all the previous security updates. So you’ll be fully up to date once that one is installed.

Also... I did install the app store update patch in the post install. Did you also when it wouldn't update for you? And the Safari manual install won't fail like the security update does?

To add to this... I was kind of expecting it to run perfectly to be honest, as my 6,1 MacBook supports High Sierra, and has pretty much the exact hardware as my 3,1 mini. Both have a 2.26GHz P7550 C2D, a 256MB Geforce 9400M, and the same 1066MHz DDR3 RAM.

Last edited:

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Also... I did install the app store update patch in the post install. Did you also when it wouldn't update for you? And the Safari manual install won't fail like the security update does?

To add to this... I was kind of expecting it to run perfectly to be honest, as my 6,1 MacBook supports High Sierra, and has pretty much the exact hardware as my 3,1 mini. Both have a 2.26GHz P7550 C2D, a 256MB Geforce 9400M, and the same 1066MHz DDR3 RAM.

I don’t recall if I specifically installed the store update patch in the post, I just left all the defaults for my iMac 9,1.

No, the manual Safari update will not fail. I got mine from here towards the bottom (link) - couldn’t find it on Apple’s site for some reason. It was a sub 90mb file.

Reactions: timidpimpin

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I don’t recall if I specifically installed the store update patch in the post, I just left all the defaults for my iMac 9,1.

No, the manual Safari update will not fail. I got mine from here towards the bottom (link) - couldn’t find it on Apple’s site for some reason. It was a sub 90mb file.

Your solution worked... to a point. After installing Safari manually the updates started showing after a reboot, but failed during install. So I reinstalled everything, but this time skipped the iTunes update that shows during my account restore, and after install/setup the updates showed. Though when doing the security update it had a script error, but that was well into the install when it was almost done, and everything is running fine.

So I'm now running 17G7024, and all is well. Thanks again for your help!

Also... High Sierra is definitely snappier than El Capitan. Awesome!

Last edited:

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Your solution worked... to a point. After installing Safari manually the updates started showing after a reboot, but failed during install. So I reinstalled everything, but this time skipped the iTunes update that shows during my account restore, and after install/setup the updates showed. Though when doing the security update it had a script error, but that was well into the install when it was almost done, and everything is running fine.

So I'm now running 17G7024, and all is well. Thanks again for your help!

Also... High Sierra is definitely snappier than El Capitan. Awesome!
I don't want to alarm you but you may not be in the clear just yet. Can you check one thing; go to About This Mac then click on System Report, scroll down to "Installations", does it list Security Update 2019-003?

If yes, you're good. If not, can you recall if the script error you got during the update is related to the recovery partition?

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I don't want to alarm you but you may not be in the clear just yet. Can you check one thing; go to About This Mac then click on System Report, scroll down to "Installations", does it list Security Update 2019-003?

If yes, you're good. If not, can you recall if the script error you got during the update is related to the recovery partition?

No it's not listed. Damn. The update also doesn't show again in the app store. And I honestly can't recall the exact script error, but I assumed I got a big chunk of the update, as it was down to 1 min left when it happened, and also the fact that the build number reflects having the latest build.

I'm pretty sure apps only show there if they finish properly.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
No it's not listed. Damn. The update also doesn't show again in the app store. And I honestly can't recall the exact script error, but I assumed I got a big chunk of the update, as it was down to 1 min left when it happened, and also the fact that the build number reflects having the latest build.

I'm pretty sure apps only show there if they finish properly.
Unfortunately, most posters on here are confident that if the SU does not show in Installtions, then it did not install properly, even if the build number changes.

I assume you did not follow the instructions on the previous page (post by RobK88) to mod Dosdude's installer before you did the clean install? While there are a number of workarounds posted here, that one was the only method that worked for me and it turned out to be one of the easiest too (make sure to have a TM machine backup).

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, most posters on here are confident that if the SU does not show in Installtions, then it did not install properly, even if the build number changes.

I assume you did not follow the instructions on the previous page (post by RobK88) to mod Dosdude's installer before you did the clean install? While there are a number of workarounds posted here, that one was the only method that worked for me and it turned out to be one of the easiest too (make sure to have a TM machine backup).
Not sure about "most posters". I'd say that if the security update fails during recovery partition update, then regardless of it not showing up in Installations, it is in fact installed. My goal in proposing the method of editing the replaceRecovery script was specifically to allow the installation to finish tidily without error, and thereby show up in Installations (acknowledging the fact that it doesn't actually update the recovery partition).

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Not sure about "most posters". I'd say that if the security update fails during recovery partition update, then regardless of it not showing up in Installations, it is in fact installed. My goal in proposing the method of editing the replaceRecovery script was specifically to allow the installation to finish tidily without error, and thereby show up in Installations (acknowledging the fact that it doesn't actually update the recovery partition).
Would you say you’re confident that the update installs properly even if it doesn’t finish the install process?

It’s an honest question. I only ask because I’ve seen replies that are contradictory, and I wish this would be put to rest.

I’ve seen more replies that say it didn’t install properly on here which is why I said “most”.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia

My security update failed post-install. I never used the recovery partition at all. I did a fresh install of High Sierra which installed 10.13.6 - I then did the post-install with the @dosdude1 patcher, and then during the OS setup restored my account from my TM backup.

Then once everything was setup and booting, I installed the security update, which had a script error at around 95% complete. My build number reflects having the update installed, but it doesn't show in my system report, and also doesn't show up in the app store.

I would imagine that if it still needed any significant parts of the security update that it would show up again in the app store updates, no? Also... on top of my Mac showing the proper build for having the update, it also changed the final year in the OS copyright from 2018 to 2019.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I'm starting to get it after more reading in this thread. It seems as though the script error I got is only related to updating the recovery partition, and it does that last. Which means that the security update did take on the OS, and simply doesn't show up in installed items because it wasn't successful at the recovery partition update.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to get it after more reading in this thread. It seems as though the script error I got is only related to updating the recovery partition, and it does that last. Which means that the security update did take on the OS, and simply doesn't show up in installed items because it wasn't successful at the recovery partition update.
Exactly.
[doublepost=1559152583][/doublepost]
Would you say you’re confident that the update installs properly even if it doesn’t finish the install process?

It’s an honest question. I only ask because I’ve seen replies that are contradictory, and I wish this would be put to rest.

I’ve seen more replies that say it didn’t install properly on here which is why I said “most”.
If it fails during the update of the recovery partition, specifically during the replaceRecovery script (check your logs), then yes.

Pedrith

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Hi. I have two questions. I'm not very tech savvy so please bear with me. I have 2012 mac pro. I'm currently running 10.8.5 but I want to upgrade to High Sierra as I can no longer back up my ipad or purchase things through the itunes. Every now and again a window pops up about upgrading to mojave, which my system can't run.

Below are my computer specs.

12 core proccessor
64 gig ram
Radeon stock card that has a 1 gig memory - it came preloaded and I am not at my mac right now)
Four 2 tb drives
Windows 8 under bootcamp

my first question is can my system run high sierra or do I need to upgrade anything?

Question two how do I go about upgrading? Can I use my time machine backup to set it up so I don't loose emails and other programs?

Sorry one more question. Will I need to reinstall bootcamp?

Thanks,

David

godindav1

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Hi Pedrith,

There are a way more skilled people on this thread who could probably give you better advice. However, I was able to get 3 Macs running just following Dosdude1's tutorial at this link: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

It tells you what macs are supported and which ones work but have issues. For example, the wifi not working on a specific model after the upgrade.

I hope this helps Pedrith. I am not that technical and I was able to pull it off. Some of the fixes or tweaks require a higher level of customization or technical know how. The other members of the forum may be able to help you if you get stuck. Just research it all out before you dive in.

David

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Hi. I have two questions. I'm not very tech savvy so please bear with me. I have 2012 mac pro. I'm currently running 10.8.5 but I want to upgrade to High Sierra as I can no longer back up my ipad or purchase things through the itunes. Every now and again a window pops up about upgrading to mojave, which my system can't run.

Below are my computer specs.

12 core proccessor
64 gig ram
Radeon stock card that has a 1 gig memory - it came preloaded and I am not at my mac right now)
Four 2 tb drives
Windows 8 under bootcamp

my first question is can my system run high sierra or do I need to upgrade anything?

Question two how do I go about upgrading? Can I use my time machine backup to set it up so I don't loose emails and other programs?

Sorry one more question. Will I need to reinstall bootcamp?

Thanks,

David

2012 MacPros can run Mojave, both High Sierra and Mojave are officially supported by your 2012 MacPro,
so you don't need to be on here. Mojave needs a graphics card that is 'Metal' capable, click on the Mac Pro graphics card link contained within this link, https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201475 for High Sierra
click on this link, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969
Before you upgrade make a full back up of your Mac, then just install the OS over what you have got. Or as you have four drives you could just put the new OS on one of the drives or make a partition and put it on that, then you can boot between the two OS's. My Mac Pro has Lion. El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave on it. I wouldn't have thought you would need to reinstall boot camp if you are just doing an in place upgrade.
Check that any third party apps you use have updates available so they will continue to run in your new OS, and also make sure that any printers/ scanners etc you use have updated drivers and software so they too will function in the new OS.

Pedrith

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Hi. Thanks so much for explaining it to me. I'm going to give it a try over the weekend when I have more time.

Cheers,

David

xy-maps

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
Hello, I've been trying to install the High Sierra with the Patcher on a USB stick for some time but I always get the error "Could not copy files to your USB drive...".

-The stick is formatted correctly.
-I have tried 5 different sticks by now.
(two of them have always worked wonderfully so far)
-I have really tried all USB ports
-redownloaded High Sierra with the Tool

I am using a Mac Pro 3.1 with Mojave, is this a problem?

ghulst

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
South West, NL
Guys, I must be overlooking something simple, but can’t find it, so I am hoping you are willing to help me...

I installed High Sierra on my old MBP mid 2009 today. Installation went fantastic, the patch was run, 5,5 was selected and all the necessary patches installed. Booting went perfect, the machine runs fine. However, and this is the problem, the AppStore does not work. When I open it, it works fine, I can search etc. But when I want to update a program, the whole thing triggers my forever-beachball.

Any thoughts? Any patch I missed?

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Hello, I've been trying to install the High Sierra with the Patcher on a USB stick for some time but I always get the error "Could not copy files to your USB drive...".

-The stick is formatted correctly.
-I have tried 5 different sticks by now.
(two of them have always worked wonderfully so far)
-I have really tried all USB ports
-redownloaded High Sierra with the Tool

I am using a Mac Pro 3.1 with Mojave, is this a problem?

So to check, are you using the High Sierra patcher app (latest version available from the front page) and the latest version of High Sierra (10.13.6) to make the USB installer.
[doublepost=1560758761][/doublepost]
Guys, I must be overlooking something simple, but can’t find it, so I am hoping you are willing to help me...

I installed High Sierra on my old MBP mid 2009 today. Installation went fantastic, the patch was run, 5,5 was selected and all the necessary patches installed. Booting went perfect, the machine runs fine. However, and this is the problem, the AppStore does not work. When I open it, it works fine, I can search etc. But when I want to update a program, the whole thing triggers my forever-beachball.

Any thoughts? Any patch I missed?
Accessing the App Store does not rely on any patches installed or missed, if you are trying to download apps especially large ones use a cabled connection to your router rather than wifi, if that is what you are using.

ghulst

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
South West, NL
Accessing the App Store does not rely on any patches installed or missed, if you are trying to download apps especially large ones use a cabled connection to your router rather than wifi, if that is what you are using.
It is not the internet connection, unfortunately. When I click the "updates" tab, the little 'wheel' on the top left corner starts to show it is loading, then gets stuck before it completes one revolution. Reloading does not change anything, connecting to the internet through a cable doesn't change a thing either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.