Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Can anyone confirm that the AMD HD5770 works fine in the latest High Sierra (Security patch 003 installed) on a Mac Pro 3,1?

I've seen people that either have it working no problems or people having all kind of trouble with it (red login screen, screen flickering, apps crashing, etc...).

Reactions: TimothyR734

malieckal

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2019
Boston, Massachusetts
I installed the HS patcher last month on my 3,1 with an ATI Radeon HD 5700, runs beautifully.

The only issue I'm struggling with is that one program, DaVinci Resolve, hangs on 'loading waveform monitor'. The same software ran perfectly on El Capitan, so I think it must be a driver issue. All other graphics programs, from Adobe CC Suite to Premiere Pro, run as expected.

protocold

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2019
Yes, the build number appears to be meaningless.

My system report shows the Security Update 2019-003 installed and I have the same Build number.

If the Security Update hung, it did NOT install. The last steps of the installation are very important including registering and activating the new components etc.

The main reason it hung is simple. Security Update tries to update your Recovery Partition with the latest Recovery Partition software and fails. You will need to update the Recovery Partition manually or delete it altogether first.

If you want to install the Security Update, you have three options:

OPTION 1. Backup your data and reinstall High Sierra on your unsupported Mac using Doddude1's installer BUT FIRST you will need to update Dosdude's installer with the last Recovery Partition software copied over from Security Update 2019-003.
(To do this, please see my post
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-update-the-recovery-partition-in-high-sierra.2181484/ )

Option 2. Update the Recovery Partition on your Mac with the latest Recovery Partition software from Security Update 2019-003. After that is done, you can install Security Update 2019-003. (If you no longer see it listed in the App Store, you may need to download it from Apple'e website, hack it as described in the first post of this Thread and then run it).
If you want to know hoe to update the Recovery Partition, please see my post:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-update-the-recovery-partition-in-high-sierra.2181484/

Option 3. Delete your Recovery Partition from your Mac. If it is not there, Security Update 2019-003 will not try to update it. As a result, Security Update 2019-003 should complete its installation successfully.

Good Luck.

I got 2019-003 installed but however I lost the brightness control on my macbook 5,2.

Brightness control was working prior to this thanks to a Patch from the auto patcher.

Is there way i get get the brightness control back? (I tried re-applying the brightness control from the patcher and it still doesnt work)

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I got 2019-003 installed but however I lost the brightness control on my macbook 5,2.

Brightness control was working prior to this thanks to a Patch from the auto patcher.

Is there way i get get the brightness control back? (I tried re-applying the brightness control from the patcher and it still doesnt work)
Open your System/Library/Private.frameworks and scroll to CoreBrightness.framework open it then open versions and replace this one in your downloads folder after you unzip it then put it in the A folder then reboot and a handy app to use and its free is the brightness slider in the App Store :)
[doublepost=1563512802][/doublepost]
I keep receiving this error when trying to do a fresh install of High Sierra using @dosdude1 High Sierra Patcher. I have tried several USB sticks and downloaded the installer, directly from the Patcher several times. All of these USB drives install El Capitan fine but for some reason High Sierra won't install.

I am using a mid-2009 MacBook Pro 5,4 with a SSD installed. I have also made sure that SIP is disabled beforehand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

9AfALqP.jpg
Did you finally get High Sierra installed
[doublepost=1563512962][/doublepost]
Reapply the patches using Patch Updater in /applications/Utilities
See my post on page 186

Attachments

• CoreBrightness.zip
    200.1 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: protocold

protocold

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2019
Open your System/Library/Private.frameworks and scroll to CoreBrightness.framework open it then open versions and replace this one in your downloads folder after you unzip it then put it in the A folder then reboot and a handy app to use and its free is the brightness slider in the App Store :)

Actually I found out the keyboard keys like F11 and F12 also wasn't working properly. What I ended up doing was to re-apply all the patch installed by Patch Updater and then everything including the brightness control also started to work again!

applecanon2016

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2019
I’m interested in trying to manually patch High Sierra (or Mojave but probably HS) on my unsupported mid 2009 MBP

Mostly just for fun to see if I can do it
Also for security reasons but I trust that Dosdude’s patcher is safe

I have no idea where to even start and searching the thread isn’t really helping

How difficult is it to modify the installer to boot on unsupported systems?
Would a better start be installing onto one of my testing SSDs on a supported system and then modify it on the unsupported ones?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
No luck installing Security Update 2019-004 through the MAS, it hung (like all previous updates) on my iMac 9,1. Will have to mod the standalone installer and retry. PITA

VtMBP

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2019
No luck installing Security Update 2019-004 through the MAS, it hung (like all previous updates) on my iMac 9,1. Will have to mod the standalone installer and retry. PITA
Same here. Stuck on installing update screen. Had to force shutdown after waiting for 20-30 minutes. version number is updated in "about this mac screen" but no mention of security update in system report

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I just did a clean install of HS using a modded dosdude’s installer (recovery partition modded using the standalone Security Update 2019-004), restored from a TM backup and was then able to install SU 2019-004 from the MAS without issues. A bit of a long way around but I wanted to do a clean install anyhow.

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
so if I am correct here, Security Update 2019-004 can just be installed fine from within the Mac Appstore ?
No need to apply the patches.. ?

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
I've done a preliminary update to macOS Sierra Patcher, just to add compatibility with the High Sierra installer. Keep in mind nothing else has changed, so I'm not sure if some of the post-install patches still work in High Sierra. Also, for those of you who cannot download a copy of High Sierra, I have a copy available for download here (if this is not allowed, let me know and I'll remove this link). Download "macOS High Sierra Patcher" here.

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) for which I want to install HighSierra. I have read the procedure instructions and seen the video you (dosdude1) provide. It all clearly explained and I should be able to complete the task...

Once I am done, how do I recover my applications and, most importantly, my data?
Will it all come form my most recent TimeMachine backup?

THANKS

Last edited:

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I see that Security Update 2019-004 has been pulled by Apple. Seems to be causing an issue with newer Macs, so may not be a problem for "unsupported" models. My late 2008 MacBook Pro seems to be working fine after applying the update. I expect they'll reissue it in a say or so.

phed

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
I tried to build the installer from dosdude1's High Sierra Patcher Tool 2.7.0.
All was good. It showed completed, but in the verbose window, there was an error meaasge:

cp: /macOS High Sierra Patcher/macOS High Sierra Patcher.app/Contents/Resources/prelinkedkernel: could not copy extended attributes to /Volumes/Install High/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel: Operation not permitted

I tried to copy the patcher to the HDD and built again, but still got the same message.

Is this acceptable?

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
so if I am correct here, Security Update 2019-004 can just be installed fine from within the Mac Appstore ?
No need to apply the patches.. ?

This is exactly what I did and it worked great on a MacBook5,1. The only patch that I had to re-apply(manually) is the Night Shift. I am using APFS if that makes any difference. And of course MacBook5,1 is pretty much natively supported for High Sierra hardware wise.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what I did and it worked great on a MacBook5,1. The only patch that I had to re-apply(manually) is the Night Shift. I am using APFS if that makes any difference. And of course MacBook5,1 is pretty much natively supported for High Sierra hardware wise.
I must admit I don't bother trying these days. My previous attempts always failed when updating the Recovery partition, so I now just download the standalone update and modify the replaceRecovery script. It would be interesting (at least to me) for those, including yourself, who manage to run it successfully to have a look in the install log and post here the entries around the update of the recovery partition. If you wouldn't mind it starts with

PackageKit: Executing script "replaceRecovery" in /private/tmp/xxxx (the xxxx will be different for everyone)

this is in /var/log/install.log and it's towards the end of the installation.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I must admit I don't bother trying these days. My previous attempts always failed when updating the Recovery partition, so I now just download the standalone update and modify the replaceRecovery script. It would be interesting (at least to me) for those, including yourself, who manage to run it successfully to have a look in the install log and post here the entries around the update of the recovery partition. If you wouldn't mind it starts with

PackageKit: Executing script "replaceRecovery" in /private/tmp/xxxx (the xxxx will be different for everyone)

this is in /var/log/install.log and it's towards the end of the installation.

I am on a different Mac at the moment but will have a look at the install.log on a MacBook5,1. It sure is interesting why do people get a different results especially on the same hardware. By the way I can boot into APFS Recovery by pressing CMD+R, thanks to jackluke's fix.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I am on a different Mac at the moment but will have a look at the install.log on a MacBook5,1. It sure is interesting why do people get a different results especially on the same hardware. By the way I can boot into APFS Recovery by pressing CMD+R, thanks to jackluke's fix.
OK thanks. I'm on hfs+, so I don't know if that makes a difference. It's the "hdutil attach" in the replaceRecovery script that fails for me (and I'm guessing all the others who fail during the recovery update). I don't know enough about that command to say whether it behaves differently for apfs.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
OK thanks. I'm on hfs+, so I don't know if that makes a difference. It's the "hdutil attach" in the replaceRecovery script that fails for me (and I'm guessing all the others who fail during the recovery update). I don't know enough about that command to say whether it behaves differently for apfs.

I had a look at the install log and although I don't understand much I picked up some lines that do indicate a success:

2019-07-22 23:57:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: PackageKit: Executing script "replaceRecovery" in /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.AMrd1d/Scripts/com.apple.pkg.SecUpd2019-004HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.17G8029.n2GS9P

2019-07-22 23:58:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: replaceRecovery: APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: UpdatePreboot: Exiting Update Preboot operation with overall error=(ZeroMeansSuccess)=0

2019-07-22 23:58:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: replaceRecovery: APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: Operation 100.0% complete

2019-07-22 23:58:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: replaceRecovery: APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: Operation fully complete

2019-07-22 23:58:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: replaceRecovery: APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: Operation finished

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I had a look at the install log and although I don't understand much I picked up some lines that do indicate a success:

2019-07-22 23:57:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: PackageKit: Executing script "replaceRecovery" in /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.AMrd1d/Scripts/com.apple.pkg.SecUpd2019-004HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.17G8029.n2GS9P

2019-07-22 23:58:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: replaceRecovery: APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: UpdatePreboot: Exiting Update Preboot operation with overall error=(ZeroMeansSuccess)=0

2019-07-22 23:58:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: replaceRecovery: APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: Operation 100.0% complete

2019-07-22 23:58:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: replaceRecovery: APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: Operation fully complete

2019-07-22 23:58:04+02 MacBook system_installd[703]: replaceRecovery: APFS EnsureRecoveryBooter: Operation finished
Interesting. And mysterious!

So ... my initial surprise is that you can install a security update directly from the app store at all. In other words, it doesn't seem to be running the InstallationCheck script - you'll see from page 1 of this thread how to modify the script in the installation pkg so that the installation will run on an unsupported machine. If you haven't had to do that, which I'm assuming you haven't, then when you install from the app store it's not performing the check. I've had errors from the app store in the past, saying "this update can't be installed on this machine" (or words to that effect), but maybe that was only for real system updates.

Now, I found some time ago, that if you download the standalone update and do the modification to InstallationCheck as per page 1, and re-pkg, then during the installation the script replaceRecovery fails at the "hdiutil attach" instruction - for reasons that are beyond my level of comprehension (maybe signatures or something?). Hence my kludge to comment out the remainder of that script to let the installation run to completion. The "hdiutil attach" instruction clearly didn't fail for you - or you'd have seen it in the log. I'm assuming that's because you didn't do the InstallationCheck edit.

It's too late now for me, because I've installed 2019-004 (despite it being subsequently pulled by Apple!), but what I should do next time is try the update from the app store.

Edit: We've been here before of course - see post #4364 and thereabouts. It must be my age.

Last edited:

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Interesting. And mysterious!

So ... my initial surprise is that you can install a security update directly from the app store at all. In other words, it doesn't seem to be running the InstallationCheck script - you'll see from page 1 of this thread how to modify the script in the installation pkg so that the installation will run on an unsupported machine. If you haven't had to do that, which I'm assuming you haven't, then when you install from the app store it's not performing the check. I've had errors from the app store in the past, saying "this update can't be installed on this machine" (or words to that effect), but maybe that was only for real system updates.

Now, I found some time ago, that if you download the standalone update and do the modification to InstallationCheck as per page 1, and re-pkg, then during the installation the script replaceRecovery fails at the "hdiutil attach" instruction - for reasons that are beyond my level of comprehension (maybe signatures or something?). Hence my kludge to comment out the remainder of that script to let the installation run to completion. The "hdiutil attach" instruction clearly didn't fail for you - or you'd have seen it in the log. I'm assuming that's because you didn't do the InstallationCheck edit.

It's too late now for me, because I've installed 2019-004 (despite it being subsequently pulled by Apple!), but what I should do next time is try the update from the app store.

Wait, I assumed that you are aware of the Czo's Software Update patch which is a part of the High Sierra patcher? There are no miracles, I am afraid. I believe that patch takes care of the installation check and removes the firmware updates.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I assumed that you are aware of the Czo's Software Update patch which is a part of the High Sierra patcher? There are no miracles, I am afraid. I believe that patch takes care of the installation check and removes the firmware updates.
Aha - of course. If you see my previous post I've edited it to say we've been here before - I seem to have to remind myself every time. Things are falling off my shelf I'm afraid. Having said that, I don't think I'd ever seen it spelled out that that's what czo's patch does. Thanks.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Aha - of course. If you see my previous post I've edited it to say we've been here before - I seem to have to remind myself every time. Things are falling off my shelf I'm afraid. Having said that, I don't think I'd ever seen it spelled out that that's what czo's patch does. Thanks.

I had a quick look around the post #4364 and it seems that it fails mostly on HFS+ volumes. I took quite a risk of applying APFS ROM patch on my machine but it seems that I've made the right choice in the long run.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I had a quick look around the post #4364 and it seems that it fails mostly on HFS+ volumes. I took quite a risk of applying APFS ROM patch on my machine but it seems that I've made the right choice in the long run.
I thought about it but wasn't brave enough. The thought of bricking my machine was too much. I've since bought a newer laptop although I tend to still use my 2008 model - comfortable shoes and all that - so I might revisit. Bricking it now wouldn't be such a disaster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.