Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
No. I tried both alone and with helper HD2600XT too.
It fails because Apple changed the driver code to require a version of SSE that the 3,1 CPUs don't support.
Only solution now (unless someone comes up with emulator) is to sell it and get an nVidia card or get a supported 5,1 MP.
Would it be possible to do Netkas' patch on the driver, like in the Mojave installer? My RX480 is not recognized in Mojave, but in High Sierra it is recognized without accelaration.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Since Apple today re-issued the 2019-004 security update I thought I'd re-install it, but this time directly from the appstore. Firstly it went through the "Installing software" part, which finished in about 10mins (despite it calculating 20mins), then it went through "Installing software" again, but this time in didn't progress beyond a couple of mm on the progress bar. After a while I just gave up and hard-rebooted.

What I discovered in the install log after rebooting was 2 things.
1. the replaceRecovery script failed at the hdiutil attach command (the problem I'd always had with the un-edited script in the standalone updater)
2. the reason it didn't progress through the second part was that there was a whole host of messages saying (once a second)
Software Update[4314]: Not yet started snapshotting. No progress will be shown.

So despite others having success in installing security updates directly from the appstore, it doesn't work for me. FWIW, I'm using HFS - don't know if that's the issue.

rawvisionz

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
I'm use a noob to this. Well kinda. Why does is notice my MSi Radeon RX570 is in the computer but says no kext is installed? I am using the High Sierra Patcher on a Mac Pro 3,1.
@dosdude1 any help please and thank you :)

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 276

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Since Apple today re-issued the 2019-004 security update I thought I'd re-install it, but this time directly from the appstore. Firstly it went through the "Installing software" part, which finished in about 10mins (despite it calculating 20mins), then it went through "Installing software" again, but this time in didn't progress beyond a couple of mm on the progress bar. After a while I just gave up and hard-rebooted.

1. the replaceRecovery script failed at the hdiutil attach command (the problem I'd always had with the un-edited script in the standalone updater)
2. the reason it didn't progress through the second part was that there was a whole host of messages saying (once a second)

So despite others having success in installing security updates directly from the appstore, it doesn't work for me. FWIW, I'm using HFS - don't know if that's the issue.

Your HFS+ seems to be the issue as I've updated my APFS partition without any issues(well, after I patched the Night Shift, the buttons on my Apple bluetooth Mighty Mouse stopped working but it is back to normal now). Of course my experience is not conclusive and we need more reports.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 3.58.17 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 4.04.24 am.png

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
I'm use a noob to this. Well kinda. Why does is notice my MSi Radeon RX570 is in the computer but says no kext is installed? I am using the High Sierra Patcher on a Mac Pro 3,1.
@dosdude1 any help please and thank you :)
I've seen the same with an RX 480 on a patched Mojave.
I'm just as confused as you.

Last edited:

phed

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
I tried to build the installer from dosdude1's High Sierra Patcher Tool 2.7.0.
All was good. It showed completed, but in the verbose window, there was an error meaasge:

cp: /macOS High Sierra Patcher/macOS High Sierra Patcher.app/Contents/Resources/prelinkedkernel: could not copy extended attributes to /Volumes/Install High/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel: Operation not permitted

I tried to copy the patcher to the HDD and built again, but still got the same message.

Is this acceptable?

Any comment?

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
Now that SecUpd 2019-004 release has settled down, I patched the update without a recovery. No errors, and all logs and release info seem fine.
[doublepost=1564618513][/doublepost]
I tried to build the installer from dosdude1's High Sierra Patcher Tool 2.7.0.
All was good. It showed completed, but in the verbose window, there was an error meaasge:

cp: /macOS High Sierra Patcher/macOS High Sierra Patcher.app/Contents/Resources/prelinkedkernel: could not copy extended attributes to /Volumes/Install High/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel: Operation not permitted

I tried to copy the patcher to the HDD and built again, but still got the same message.

Is this acceptable?

It's acceptable if it works. That's what "unsupported" means. Did you try the installer?

Is the installation medium formatted GPT/HFS+? That's what you need for the installer and extended attributes.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I just take the update errors like a man. My build numbers always reflect what they should after an update. The error is always with the recovery partition update, which is essentially meaningless.

It doesn't need to be in the system profiler log to actually be installed.

dhg4dragon8

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
@dosdude1 can i get some help. Got a 09 macbook pro. The installer will not boot. I have disabled the security chip, and i am getting trustd errors. Running of internal partition for install files.

Attachments

• 15647231248715249997825595214204.jpg
    15647231248715249997825595214204.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 211
Last edited:

FlorisVN

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013

I had the same issue on our 3,1 Macmini.
I think the updates did not install, since the mac appstore is not showing them as installed.
Also searching for updates does mot give me any at all..
Strange how to fix this.. ?

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I had the same issue on our 3,1 Macmini.
I think the updates did not install, since the mac appstore is not showing them as installed.
Also searching for updates does mot give me any at all..
Strange how to fix this.. ?
I wouldn't go by what the appstore says. It is likely that your update installed OK, except for your recovery partition update.

Have you read this, for ways to stop the security updates from failing?
macOS High Sierra (10.13) Unsupported Macs Thread

There's another option, which I came up with to get around the recovery partition issue (by editing the replaceRecovery script), and which is essentially the same as @RobK88's Option 4, which he describes in a later post to the one I linked to above.

Gonzbull

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2015
So I just installed the new security on my HFS ssd and all went well for the first time. 002 to the initial 004 didn’t upgrade the recovery partition and would give an error msg.
However today it completed the whole install. I haven’t changed anything with the patch tool or anything else since I installed HS using the tool.

e93d3789a77e4d1c0cc33cbd8903680c.jpg

ssaxamaphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
I'm very grateful for this patch. I'm running a MacBook Pro 4,1 and have everything working except two finger secondary click on the trackpad. It's weird that it doesn't function, as all the other multitouch functions do. Has anyone else had similar struggles?

Does anyone have an answer for this? Had I known this, I wouldn't have updated to High Sierra. Not having secondary click is the worst

Frixo Cool

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
Croatia
Installed the latest 2019-004 on Mac Pro 3,1 with HFS. It reported an error on updating the Recovery Partition (I still have 10.11 version) but it seems that the update was applied after all as there is no more warning about it in Software Update. MacOS version now is 17G8030.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Installed the latest 2019-004 on Mac Pro 3,1 with HFS. It reported an error on updating the Recovery Partition (I still have 10.11 version) but it seems that the update was applied after all as there is no more warning about it in Software Update. MacOS version now is 17G8030.

Yes, it's installed. Just ignore those that are obsessed with having to see it show up in the system profiler and previously installed list in the app store. What you have is just as complete as what they do. They're simply wasting time for no gain whatsoever.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's installed. Just ignore those that are obsessed with having to see it show up in the system profiler and previously installed list in the app store. What you have is just as complete as what they do. They're simply wasting time for no gain whatsoever.
For me, it's more of a case of wanting the installation process to run to completion rather than being obsessed about seeing it in the system report. In fact I've told people on this forum that their installation is probably OK even if it's failed the recovery update. Unlike you, maybe, I have no idea what the installation process does after the replaceRecovery script, so even if it's just a bit of housekeeping I'd prefer it done. Each to his/her own.

Gonzbull

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2015

Thing is I didn’t waste any time doing anything. I wasn’t bothered if it did the recovery update or not. It did the complete install on its own. So something is up for those who can’t. Hence my post.

jmontana

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Woke up my 2009 MBP today to find that it was in the middle of updating the OS. I'm guessing this is 2019-004. It's been stuck at "Installing Software Update" with the progress bar at about 5%, doing absolutely nothing. The cursor still moves, so it's not completely frozen. Do I wait it out? Or do I need to do something special to update?

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Woke up my 2009 MBP today to find that it was in the middle of updating the OS. I'm guessing this is 2019-004. It's been stuck at "Installing Software Update" with the progress bar at about 5%, doing absolutely nothing. The cursor still moves, so it's not completely frozen. Do I wait it out? Or do I need to do something special to update?
That's what happened to me when I tried updating through the appstore. I aborted after about 20mins, I think, and when I looked at the install log afterwards it was repeating the message

Software Update[4314]: Not yet started snapshotting. No progress will be shown

about once a second. So it wasn't going anywhere.

jmontana

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
That's what happened to me when I tried updating through the appstore. I aborted after about 20mins, I think, and when I looked at the install log afterwards it was repeating the message

Software Update[4314]: Not yet started snapshotting. No progress will be shown

about once a second. So it wasn't going anywhere.
Hmm. Were you ever able to install it through some other means? Sounds like I should bail.

mrploppy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Were you ever able to install it through some other means? Sounds like I should bail.
In the end I did what I normally do and edited the replaceRecovery script having downloaded the standalone update. Others will tell you not to bother.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia

Just do a hard reset and you're good to go. The error is with updating the recovery partition, which has nothing to do with the boot partition. That's exactly what happens to me. The update is installed, trust me.

jmontana

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Just do a hard reset and you're good to go. The error is with updating the recovery partition, which has nothing to do with the boot partition. That's exactly what happens to me. The update is installed, trust me.
Thanks. Looks like I'm good. I got nervous because after I powered off and on again, it rebooted itself twice. Then I couldn't find any evidence the update was installed in App Store or the InstallHistory.plist. But it reports itself as build number 17G8030 which looks to be the right build for 2019-004, so I think I'm all set!

And yes I was getting the "Not yet started snapshotting" errors in the install.log as well.

moalv

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2019
Hi guys,
here's the thing.

The first thing you have to do is to update RecoveryHD before security updates.
Execute update script from terminal. Then apply security updates as well.
Don't bother modifying distribution (or script) file to install, just use "softwareupdate" command.

1.Download Security Update 2019-004
2.mount dmg and expand pkg
#to open terminal, just right-click the volume - go to Services - New Terminal at Folder
$ pkgutil --expand SecUpd2019-004HighSierra.pkg ~/Desktop/expanded
3.run replaceRecovery script
$ export PACKAGE_PATH=~/Desktop/expanded/EmbeddedOSFirmware.pkg/RecoveryHDMeta.dmg
$ cd ~/Desktop/expanded/SecUpd2019-004HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg/Scripts
$ ./replaceRecovery / /
4.apply other security updates
$ softwareupdate -i -a
5.after reboot, re-install patches. (and clear NVRAM if needed)

This method always works for me.(iMac9,1 , HFS+)

Reactions: jlovell

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Hi guys,
here's the thing.

The first thing you have to do is to update RecoveryHD before security updates.
Execute update script from terminal. Then apply security updates as well.
Don't bother modifying distribution (or script) file to install, just use "softwareupdate" command.

1.Download Security Update 2019-004
2.mount dmg and expand pkg
#to open terminal, just right-click the volume - go to Services - New Terminal at Folder
$ pkgutil --expand SecUpd2019-004HighSierra.pkg ~/Desktop/expanded
3.run replaceRecovery script
$ export PACKAGE_PATH=~/Desktop/expanded/EmbeddedOSFirmware.pkg/RecoveryHDMeta.dmg
$ cd ~/Desktop/expanded/SecUpd2019-004HighSierra.RecoveryHDUpdate.pkg/Scripts
$ ./replaceRecovery / /
4.apply other security updates
$ softwareupdate -i -a
5.after reboot, re-install patches. (and clear NVRAM if needed)

This method always works for me.(iMac9,1 , HFS+)

Why jump through so many hoops for no advantage at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.