Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MolokaiGamer

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
Have you tried setting the system date to 2018 or something(google it)? These errors are quite common even on supported systems and have nothing to do with the patcher or unsupported Macs.
Have you tried setting the system date to 2018 or something(google it)? These errors are quite common even on supported systems and have nothing to do with the patcher or unsupported Macs.

I just tried a 2018 date and was trying 2016 - still having the same problem. I am perplexed because I feel like I'm doing this properly. I just installed El Capitan on both devices with no prolems.

Reactions: TimothyR734

MolokaiGamer

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
Do you have a supported Mac to try it on and see what it says?

Works on a supported Mac.
[automerge]1589371467[/automerge]
Another common mistakes that people do: don't forget to disable SIP and set nvram boot args="-no_compat_check".

I've disabled SIP but let me go and try the NVRAM part. I wasn't aware of that.
[automerge]1589372115[/automerge]
Another common mistakes that people do: don't forget to disable SIP and set nvram boot args="-no_compat_check".

Do I type in exactly, "set nvram boot args="-no_compat_check"?

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Works on a supported Mac.
[automerge]1589371467[/automerge]

I've disabled SIP but let me go and try the NVRAM part. I wasn't aware of that.
[automerge]1589372115[/automerge]

Do I type in exactly, "set nvram boot args="-no_compat_check"?

Drop the set. From a recovery terminal you don't need to put sudo in front.
[automerge]1589373102[/automerge]
Forgot s after check, so it it is "-no_compat_checks".

MolokaiGamer

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020

Dangit, I'm getting the message, "error getting variable - 'boot-args' (iokit/common) data was not found" even in the recovery terminal.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Hi, I have a 3,1 MacPro (2x 2.8 Ghz cpu, 32 GB memory, Ati Radeon hd 5770 1 GB Gpu Mac Version, Ssd SanDisk boot drive and 3 x Sata HD (each 3TB) connected to a 27 inch Apple Cinema Display running Mac OS X 10.11.6. I would like to upgrade to High Sierra without change my GPU or loose WiFi connection (there is an Airport card with Broadcom bcm4321) with the help of dosdude tools. Is it an easy operation? The system and the apps will be stable like under El Capitan? Is it a recommended update? Thanks in advance for every suggestions.

I can't answer your question about specific GPU and wifi card support but I would say you should take a look at Dosdude's tool/site to see if your MP can have Mojave.

I say this because I had High Sierra running on my early 2009 iMac 9,1 using his tool and it was running well, had El Cap before that, but I finally took the plunge a while ago and clean installed Mojave and I have to say at least on this iMac Mojave is running better (faster and more stable) than HS. Not only that, but I've also regained features Apple had dropped support for in HS, such as Safari open tab sync across devices and the recent versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Also having Dark mode is nice bonus.

And yes the whole operation using his tool is easy if you follow instructions carefully. Just make sure to see if your mac is supported for the specific macOS you're installing and look for known issues so you're not surprised by anything.

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I finally swapped my old and small SSD with a much bigger one, cloning the old one on the new without problems. This had two side effects:

1) The recovery partition got cloned but doesn't boot anymore for some reason ("This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform" while booting in verbose!).
2) I have now enough free space to update from 10.13.4 to 10.1.6

I tried updating from the app store (which used to work until 10.4.4 many months ago) but it fails at reboot. I did download the combo update manually and read post #3,350 on how to modify it but I'm a bit worried to be left with an unbootable machine, especially as I no longer have a recovery partition and my USB install media failed long ago.

To complicate matters further, I don't have a flat internet connection, so i'd really prefer not to download the whole Sierra installer to recreate the recovery partition if possible.

My questions:
1) how to restore booting capabilities in the recovery partition manually? I've tried mounting BaseSystem.dmg and applying the patch from MacOS Postinstall but it crashes.

2) Is the procedure on post #3,350 safe or I need to worry about other steps?

Last edited:

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Just installed 003 and the Safari update without any issues at all. The key is to use APFS on your OS drive. My guess is we will get one more update in August or September, as support for High Sierra ends in Sept.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 7.43.24 AM.png

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Yea, probably will hold off on the APFS thing until I upgrade to Mojave which I’ll probably do this fall/end of year depending on when they stop with the HS sec. updates. Pretty happy with HS at the moment.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Yea, probably will hold off on the APFS thing until I upgrade to Mojave which I’ll probably do this fall/end of year depending on when they stop with the HS sec. updates. Pretty happy with HS at the moment.
I can assure you there are no negatives to using it. All you need to do to switch over is do a time machine backup, then reinstall HS with the drive formatted with APFS, then restore from the time backup during the OS setup. The end result will be identical to a time machine restore. It will take you 1 hour total at most.

Using a standard time machine restore can be wonky on an unsupported system. At least in my experience.

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006

My tests with Mojave on an external disk (mid-2009 MacBook5,2) have been OK on HFS+, albeit without a Recovery partition. (I just use my dosdude1 USB as a "recovery" if I need it.) I don't think APFS is an absolute requirement until Catalina. I expect to go to Mojave when High Sierra is done, staying with HFS as long as APFS support is iffy in Linux for BootCamp dual boot.

MDangerous

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Have you tried installing the post install again?

No, I have not because the system gives me circle with a line through it when I try to go to recovery partition and I cannot download the patcher tool again because the link is dead on the first page of this thread.

Edit: I found my USB drive with the patcher tool on it and ran the post install again. Everything seems normal again. Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.