Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

andreas_stgt

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
About my experience with gfxCard Status App (switch between two gpus ): I tried it but can say it only shows the correct state, but cant switch on my MacBookPro 2009 15". If i click the switch nothing happens.
Using the Apple System preference tab energy i can switch between the gpus - but must always also "close the user" . sorry in german means user "abmelden".

Hi i got HS installed on my Macbook Pro 2009 15", 5.3 with the informations here and great work of dosdude1´s HS patcher. I use HFS+ on my SSD.

Also last security update -03 worked - only the recovery partition update failed. System updated (Build ID) OK.

Question:
For the future (if HS sec updates stop because of new 10.16) i want to convert / come to APFS Filesystem and Mojave update.
1. Is it possible / or better to use APFS also in HS? Perhaps no probs in with sec updates if they stay comming in 2020/2021?
2. My Macbook Pro 2009, 5.3 has no APFS EFI support with orig. EFI ROM - for my knowledge.
To see that "verbose" Screen if APFS EFI is used by some efi script - by the HS Patcher? - (not using the APFS ROM patcher!) would be OK for me. But if possible i would prefer native EFI support by using APFS ROM patcher.
What i collected about that in the internet i found:
1. An video which tells that secure usage of APFS ROM patcher is only if Chipset is Intel an not NVDIA.
How to Flash Your Unsupported Intel Chipset Mac For Native APFS Booting!
2. Most information found here is, that it depends not on the Chipset but on which EEPROM type is used on the mainboard and this EEPROM type must be exact selected in the APFS ROM patcher - if the app shows/asks which EEPROM type should be flashed.
Is it correct that - my Macbook Pro 2009 5.3 has an NVIDIA Chipset - using APFS ROM Patcher is unusable with NVIDIA Chipset?
Or does the risk depends only on selecting the rigth EEPROM type - can be done by opending MAcbookPro and look on the mainboard after the excact epprom type.
EDIT: My EEPROM type is: SST 25VF032B (company is SST, not MX like i seen on an screenshoot)

Has anyone with MacBookPro 2009, 5.3 already used the APFS ROM patcher with success and can give hints to use it?
Thanks
PS: I dont have any need to do that fast ;) - i am very patient with this APFS ROM patcher and sure would check my EEPROM Type by opting the case if needed!

EDIT: I tried the APFS Patcher.
1. Step was backup / read out the ROM ... takes at least 7-8 minutes
2. step was writing patched ROM . takes even longer ;) - i think around 15 Minutes

Then success Message:
APFS Patcher.jpeg
Reboot worked - i cant test APFS because i am at HFS+ but i believe the success message.
Could i try to boot from an APFS USB Stick for tests?

Last edited:

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
On a side note, if you have a MacPro 3,1 and want to update it, High Sierra is as far as I could go. The graphic issues going to Mojave made my machine unusable.

I think the problem is the Graphic Card that don't support Metal.

I have a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

I also have a Mac Pro 3.1 and I had 10.14 installed but I had to remove it because it didn't work. Now I use 10.13 and it works, even if I have problems with updates.

Reactions: TimothyR734

andreas_stgt

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I switched to Mojavewith my MBP 5,3 - no problems.
Only I must get rid of the APFS booster (verbose text) patch. Opened Thread in the Unsupported. Mojave .
Many Thanks for all Information here & great tools to install OS X on Unsupported Macs.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Help! I've installed High Sierra on my cMP3,1 and am just about to apply the patches, but I'm stumped regarding the "Broadcom BCM4321 Wifi Support Patch".

In order to be able to install High Sierra I swapped out the standard wifi and bluetooth modules for a BCM94360CD.

Will applying the BCM4321 patch mess with the new card?

And, my computer didn't come with a BCM4321 card but a BCM94321 card. Will the patch provide legacy support for that card (which could be useful if the new card breaks)?

I'd be very grateful for your thoughts as I'm in the middle of the process, thanks in advance
Philip

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll just reply myself. I decided to not install the BCM patch figuring I could always apply it later if needed.

Help! I've installed High Sierra on my cMP3,1 and am just about to apply the patches, but I'm stumped regarding the "Broadcom BCM4321 Wifi Support Patch".

In order to be able to install High Sierra I swapped out the standard wifi and bluetooth modules for a BCM94360CD.

And, my computer didn't come with a BCM4321 card but a BCM94321 card. Will the patch provide legacy support for that card (which could be useful if the new card breaks)?

I'd be very grateful for your thoughts as I'm in the middle of the process, thanks in advance
Philip

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal

Philip
Applying the wifi patch has no effect if your card is not BCM4321. You can, of course deselect the wifi patch

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you very much Luis, I really appreciate that you replied.

I've decided to skip High Sierra. I've tried to install it twice now on my Mac Pro 3,1 and it just doesn't go very well. The second time the installation at least completed, but Finder was behaving very weirdly, renaming drives and volumes so that I didn't know which one is which. My bluetooth keyboard and trackpad don't connect well, either not at all or only after a significant delay, and the computer wakes from sleep with a black screen and cursor. This is just not stable and reliable enough for me.

I'll give Sierra a go though my hopes are not high tbh. If that fails I'll just stay on El Cap.

Applying the wifi patch has no effect if your card is not BCM4321. You can, of course deselect the wifi patch

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Thank you very much Luis, I really appreciate that you replied.

I've decided to skip High Sierra. I've tried to install it twice now on my Mac Pro 3,1 and it just doesn't go very well. The second time the installation at least completed, but Finder was behaving very weirdly, renaming drives and volumes so that I didn't know which one is which. My bluetooth keyboard and trackpad don't connect well, either not at all or only after a significant delay, and the computer wakes from sleep with a black screen and cursor. This is just not stable and reliable enough for me.

I'll give Sierra a go though my hopes are not high tbh. If that fails I'll just stay on El Cap.
There must be something wrong with your machine other than wifi. I have Catalina running without problems in my cMP 3,1 with Nvidia GTX770 graphics and 32 GB RAM and before that Mojave and High Sierra

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the wifi. The card I installed works flawlessly in El Capitan. I have an Nvidia Quadro M4000 installed which requires web drivers but they were not loaded and I had the display connected to a GT120 which is also fully operational. All eight HDDs and SSDs are also functioning. The only possible oddity there is that two SSDs reside on a Sonnet Tempo Pro but that also works. All 32GB of RAM are also OK.

The one thing I can think of, as odd as it may sound, is that there's something with the USB that I used. I used it to patch Sierra which was rather slow. I then booted from it but the boot was slow as molasses — after an hour the progress bar had gone fully to the right and after another two hours nothing more had happened so I aborted. I then patched Sierra on a 2,5" HDD in a USB2 enclosure which took just 2-3 minutes. I have yet to install Sierra but if that goes similarly quickly then the USB I used may have been broken. In that case I'll try High Sierra again.

There must be something wrong with your machine other than wifi. I have Catalina running without problems in my cMP 3,1 with Nvidia GTX770 graphics and 32 GB RAM and before that Mojave and High Sierra

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the wifi. The card I installed works flawlessly in El Capitan. I have an Nvidia Quadro M4000 installed which requires web drivers but they were not loaded and I had the display connected to a GT120 which is also fully operational. All eight HDDs and SSDs are also functioning. The only possible oddity there is that two SSDs reside on a Sonnet Tempo Pro but that also works. All 32GB of RAM are also OK.

The one thing I can think of, as odd as it may sound, is that there's something with the USB that I used. I used it to patch Sierra which was rather slow. I then booted from it but the boot was slow as molasses — after an hour the progress bar had gone fully to the right and after another two hours nothing more had happened so I aborted. I then patched Sierra on a 2,5" HDD in a USB2 enclosure which took just 2-3 minutes. I have yet to install Sierra but if that goes similarly quickly then the USB I used may have been broken. In that case I'll try High Sierra again.
That's not normal. High Sierra installs at "normal" speed in cMP3,1. Maybe your Install app is corrupted in some way. Download again from Apple and try another USB pen.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I will try that this morning. The patcher app downloads version 17G66 , but the latest one (I believe) is 17G13035 after applying the latest security update. Can that update be applied without destroying the installation? I'm asking because I would prefer to use the Nvidia web drivers for 17G13035.

That's not normal. High Sierra installs at "normal" speed in cMP3,1. Maybe your Install app is corrupted in some way. Download again from Apple and try another USB pen.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I will try that this morning. The patcher app downloads version 17G66 , but the latest one (I believe) is 17G13035 after applying the latest security update. Can that update be applied without destroying the installation? I'm asking because I would prefer to use the Nvidia web drivers for 17G13035.
Let security update in my unsupported iMac got stuck at complete progress bar, I let it stay there for about one hour and turned off the computer. After restart the update was applied. I ran ONYX, ( https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html ), just to tie things up and it's perfect. You shouldn't have any problem in installing Nvidia drivers after that.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I tried High Sierra again using the HDD enclosure I mentioned. The installation seemed to go OK with the minutes ticking along like minutes do. But once I reached the stage to set up the OS (wifi etc) the system did not recognise the bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. A reboot sorted that so I could complete the setup.

Problems remain with bluetooth. At the login screen the system does not recognise the keyboard and trackpad. Also the screen will time-out to black and can't be activated because of the lack of connection to the keyboard and trackpad.

In addition, the system still renames drives in the Finder sidebar when I move them. The system also won't let me arrange the drives like I want; frequently 2-3 drives are grouped together and move as a bunch. I have copies of several drives and they suddenly have the same names which makes it impossible to know which drive I'm working from.

Weird Finder.png

I tried install the security update etc through the App Store but got an error (pkinstallerrordomain error 112) and a message that the installation did not complete. Upon reboot the keyboard and trackpad refuse to work, however through Screen Sharing I managed to access the computer and press Install on the desktop message that the update didn't install. However that didn't work, the computer didn't reboot. I then checked the App Store and, weirdly, there it says there are no updates to be installed. When I check System Information it says that the OS has, nevertheless, been updated to 17G13035.

This doesn't feel too stable to me and I'm going to wipe and try Sierra instead. I give up on High Sierra. This is my main machine and I need it to be more reliable than this.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I tried High Sierra again using the HDD enclosure I mentioned. The installation seemed to go OK with the minutes ticking along like minutes do. But once I reached the stage to set up the OS (wifi etc) the system did not recognise the bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. A reboot sorted that so I could complete the setup.

Problems remain with bluetooth. At the login screen the system does not recognise the keyboard and trackpad. Also the screen will time-out to black and can't be activated because of the lack of connection to the keyboard and trackpad.

In addition, the system still renames drives in the Finder sidebar when I move them. The system also won't let me arrange the drives like I want; frequently 2-3 drives are grouped together and move as a bunch. I have copies of several drives and they suddenly have the same names which makes it impossible to know which drive I'm working from.

View attachment 929051

I tried install the security update etc through the App Store but got an error (pkinstallerrordomain error 112) and a message that the installation did not complete. Upon reboot the keyboard and trackpad refuse to work, however through Screen Sharing I managed to access the computer and press Install on the desktop message that the update didn't install. However that didn't work, the computer didn't reboot. I then checked the App Store and, weirdly, there it says there are no updates to be installed. When I check System Information it says that the OS has, nevertheless, been updated to 17G13035.

This doesn't feel too stable to me and I'm going to wipe and try Sierra instead. I give up on High Sierra. This is my main machine and I need it to be more reliable than this.
It's a known issue with some security updates, it is installed, run ONYX and it will be fine. https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
I have a MacPro 3.1 with MacOS 10.13.6 (17G13035). What is the most updated version? How can I install it?

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Hi, I installed High Sierra on my cMP 3,1 (partitioning as HFS+) and it booted just fine afterwards. However, installing the security update broke something. At first it wouldn't boot at all (it got stuck on the loading bar with a stuck wheel spinning). I then re-ran the post-install patch again from the patched USB installer, and I was able to boot. However I think there were some issues with the graphic drivers or something because it was extremely laggy (I have the Radeon 5770). I am now re-running the process but using an APFS partition this time.

Just to check, should I install this security update? And if it breaks something again, will running Onyx fix the issues? (I didn't do it last time as I hadn't seen this thread).

THanks!

Appture Digital

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
Greetings all. I've had macs since 1985 and have found and fixed and fouled up lots of them over the years. I'm happy to keep one of my mac 3,1s kicking these days.

64g ram, two att radeon 5770 gpus, usb 3.1 and pci ssds, etc.

I use it to produce audio and video, works great.
Here's my challenge. I have updated another 3,1 to high sierra no problems, and I'm using the dosdude high sierra Current version: 2.7.0, SHA1: 73f180d30200ef5f6d900440fe57b9c7d22bd6bf) updater.
My high sierra is 13.6.02. And I've tried the USB method, and an internal drive method, but only get about half way to launch and nothing.

I've zapped pram, and tried to launch in safe mode. Still no luck.

What am I missing?
Reminder I've done this twice before without any hassle.
Thanks in advance.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hi, I installed High Sierra on my cMP 3,1 (partitioning as HFS+) and it booted just fine afterwards. However, installing the security update broke something. At first it wouldn't boot at all (it got stuck on the loading bar with a stuck wheel spinning). I then re-ran the post-install patch again from the patched USB installer, and I was able to boot. However I think there were some issues with the graphic drivers or something because it was extremely laggy (I have the Radeon 5770). I am now re-running the process but using an APFS partition this time.

Just to check, should I install this security update? And if it breaks something again, will running Onyx fix the issues? (I didn't do it last time as I hadn't seen this thread).

THanks!
APFS can be a bit buggy as this when APFS was introduced Security updates are important High Sierra is no longer supported by Apple and you might check on the OP to see if there are issues with AMD on HS
[automerge]1594782890[/automerge]
Greetings all. I've had macs since 1985 and have found and fixed and fouled up lots of them over the years. I'm happy to keep one of my mac 3,1s kicking these days.

64g ram, two att radeon 5770 gpus, usb 3.1 and pci ssds, etc.

I use it to produce audio and video, works great.
Here's my challenge. I have updated another 3,1 to high sierra no problems, and I'm using the dosdude high sierra Current version: 2.7.0, SHA1: 73f180d30200ef5f6d900440fe57b9c7d22bd6bf) updater.
My high sierra is 13.6.02. And I've tried the USB method, and an internal drive method, but only get about half way to launch and nothing.

I've zapped pram, and tried to launch in safe mode. Still no luck.

What am I missing?
Reminder I've done this twice before without any hassle.
Thanks in advance.
is your SIP disable ?

Appture Digital

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
APFS can be a bit buggy as this when APFS was introduced Security updates are important High Sierra is no longer supported by Apple and you might check on the OP to see if there are issues with AMD on HS
[automerge]1594782890[/automerge]

is your SIP disable ?
Couldn't do it. Resetting it in Sierra did not have any effect on High Sierra. And, I tested the usb in another machine as boot disc, without any issue.

Appture Digital

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

Here's what I did.
#1 DL the patcher
#2 launch the patcher
#3 format the usb stick to extendedjournaled
#4 use the patcher to deploy high sierra onto the USB
#5 relaunch and select USB as system
#6 watch the progress bar stop midway
#7 repeat the process
#8 begin swearing at the computer
#9 begin drinking heavily

LOL

Reactions: r6mile
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.