Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Appture Digital

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

Here's what I did.
#1 DL the patcher
#2 launch the patcher
#3 format the usb stick to extendedjournaled
#4 use the patcher to deploy high sierra onto the USB
#5 relaunch and select USB as system
#6 watch the progress bar stop midway
#7 repeat the process
#8 begin swearing at the computer
#9 begin drinking heavily

LOL
It's a bitch to get the scotch past the Covid mask though.

Reactions: r6mile

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
you might try in the High Sierra patcher setting your date back a few years I read that has worked for some
[automerge]1594842139[/automerge]
101549510_275624870472654_1590691659773902848_n.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: K two

andreas_stgt

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Yes, i installed the new 004 security update. As before ( i started with 003 on my MBP 5,3) first made the changes in the .pkg distribution file.
Worked!
But, as with 003 update, i got an error at the end of the install - log shows error wasnt in the system update iself but in the recovery partition update part at the end of the update process. The System runs well.
Has someone an idea how to fix that error with updating recovery partition?
I can see the dosdude patcher has an option recovery patch, but if it use my MBP 5.3 it is not activated. I leaved it deactivated because i dont know if that would help avoid update error in the recovery update part of the update.
PS: I am using APFS on my SSD and patched MBP5,3 EFI ROM for native APFS usage. No extra APFS patch needed anymore.

EDIT: found some hint/ solution for that update recovery partition update here, perhaps i will try that sometimes later.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...h-sierra.2181484/?post=27365610#post-27365610

Last edited:

antonioc

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
Hello, today I tried to install the security update from App Store on my Mac 3.1
After the download, the installation has freezed before to complete. I forced the restart, then I've seen the Configuration screen just for a moment. In App Store there are not any Update now.
The first problem I've found is that I can't open System Preferences app: “You cannot open the System Preferences application because the update is in progress"
I can open it only using Terminal
Code:
/Applications/System\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/System\ Preferences

What does it mean, the Update is not complete? how to?
Thanks

Edit: it was a Wacom driver incomplete installation issue, sorry for the post.

Last edited:

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
can you boot into your High Sierra Patcher, if so is your SIP disable and does your PCI-SSD say guid partition
[automerge]1594911051[/automerge]
Hello, today I tried to install the security update from App Store on my Mac 3.1
After the download, the installation has freezed before to complete. I forced the restart, then I've seen the Configuration screen just for a moment. In App Store there are not any Update now.
The first problem I've found is that I can't open System Preferences app: “You cannot open the System Preferences application because the update is in progress"
I can open it only using Terminal
Code:
/Applications/System\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/System\ Preferences

What does it mean, the Update is not complete? how to?
Thanks

Edit: it was a Wacom driver incomplete installation issue, sorry for the post.
have you tried resetting the PRAM control-option-P and R on startup and you can downloaded the latest from the HS patcher create an new HS patcher and install it

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Didn't work for me unfortunately. The installation failed (got some error message about a .pkg file) and then I couldn't boot back into the HS partition. Had to re-patch the install to be able to get back in.
You're obviously using macOS extended over APFS. That's the problem.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
You're obviously using macOS extended over APFS. That's the problem.

Yeah, I had issues with APFS the first time I did (this is my first attempt at a dosdude unsupported OS install, so am learning...). It's on my (new to me) 3,1 Mac Pro. But I have a AHCI blade SSD and adapter on the way and am going to attempt an APFS install on that one and see if I have more luck.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
What I do is format the intended drive just before the install, and have never had an issue.

This is what I did the first time. I wonder if it's to do with the fact I have 4 internal SATA drives (as well as a supported El Capitan partition)? When I tried my APFS install it installed, restarted, booted into the EFI boot, lots of command lines appeared very quickly, and then it went into the El Capitan install. So I re-started the process with a HFS+ install and that's worked so far (bar these security updates). Hopefully I'll have better luck with my blade SSD.

Reactions: TimothyR734

MotionManSF

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
I am trying to create a High Sierra Patch. USB, but it keeps failing. I have tried two different USB drives and on two different Macs (2010 Mac Pro 5,1 and 2015 MacBook Pro).

Is there some known issue I need to deal with, or do I need to provide many more details so we can diagnose my problem?

Thanks.

MotionMan

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I am trying to create a High Sierra Patch. USB, but it keeps failing. I have tried two different USB drives and on two different Macs (2010 Mac Pro 5,1 and 2015 MacBook Pro).

Is there some known issue I need to deal with, or do I need to provide many more details so we can diagnose my problem?

Thanks.

MotionMan
Lots of people have had that issue, myself included. Try different volume names, as it doesn't seem to like some. I use "HSinstall".

Reactions: TimothyR734

MotionManSF

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
Keep in mind that the patcher is coded by a team of 1. It's not perfect, but I'd say it's pretty good overall.

Oh, not complaining at all - I TOTALLY appreciate what dosdude1 has done. I am sorry if I sound ungrateful - I am thoroughly grateful for his work and appreciate his efforts and skills.

MotionMan

Reactions: timidpimpin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.